Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Were you "Different" before becoming Buddhist?

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited May 2007 in Buddhism Today
Hi all,

A good friend of mine, a few years ago decided he was going to become a Jehovah's Witness. At 19 he was a drug user-and seller, involved in illegal street drag racing etc. generally a bad person-his religion "saved" him he is a great guy now..

anyone feel that buddhism has done similar improvements on a personal level?

regards,
Xrayman:crazy:

Comments

• questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I'm almost always not 'here' and I know it.

I pay more attention to the things around me.

I am more emotional, but spend less time "gearing up" and "gearing down" from those feelings.

From what those around me say, they think I'm the happiest person they know.

When I hear that, I think: "boy, do I have a long way to go" and "dang, have I fooled everyone, or what???"

Is that what you mean?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    yes I suppose so.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Yes, I know that I have undergone many changes, but to try to illustrate them, or give examples does not sit well on my shoulders...
    suffice to say, in a nutshell, that the chief difference would be, that I am not the same 'me' who woke up this morning, and it will be a different 'me' this evening...

everything else is just grist for the mill...superfluous and transitory...Just part of the walk.....

I liken it to a snake shedding its' skin in order to grow...Everything I feel I accomplish is accepted, and released for progress to take place.

I'm sorry if this post sounds "high-fah-lah".... It's all I can say. :)
  • edited April 2006
    Hello all,
    I was a complete A-hole. Ah, probably still am but I like to think Buddhism taught me compassion.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Esau

Is that you in your avatar?

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Yes, Buddhism has changed me.

Since I converted to Buddhism:

1) I have a full, thick head of hair.
    2) I've gained 3" additional inches of.... well... you know ;)
    3) I've lost 197 pounds.
    4) I make $5,000 a week just sitting in the comfort of my own home!
    5) I have 37% less wrinkles than I did before
    6) I have confidence to go out in public.

Thanks Buddhism - you're great!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Esau wrote:
    Hello all,
    I was a complete A-hole. Ah, probably still am but I like to think Buddhism taught me compassion.

LMAO!!!!

GREAT response, Esau!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    BF - I think that is 2Pac Shakur in Esau's avatar.

On the topic, I dont think I have changed particularly but I do engage my brain before I act more so now. Whether that is more down to the fact I am growing older and more mature or something to do with Buddhism I couldnt say. I also make a concious effort to not get stressed out at things, obviously I dont always succeed but I think im a much happier person these days.
    edited April 2006
    Airmech,

I thought Pac was dead. And here he is right here among us.

Whoddathunk?!?!?!

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    BF,
    2pac will always live on!!!!! So will Elvis, though I saw him in a 7Eleven. John Lennon, George Harrison etc. Oh, and the Buddhas......
  • edited April 2006
    In a way, I have become less timid. I'm not afraid to express what I mean to say and no longer fear being honest with my feelings.

Before I began weight lifting and meditating, I was a considerably bad golfer. But over the course of 6 months, I took nearly 10 strokes off my golfing game. Although a 12 over par may sound horrendous to many of you, I did putt my first ever par and scored nothing worse than a double bogey. I attribute my relaxed stroke to just having a clear mind and not worrying about my stance.

Well that doesn't have much to do about Buddhism. But Buddhism has helped me gain a clear mind and a clear mind helps with golf.
  • edited April 2006
    Buddhism has tought me to ask, and to think more deeply into things in my everyday life. I have became more clear on things. My willingness to help out others has GREATLY increased, My mind seems cleared, and not as weighed down as it once was. I try more harder to control my temper (it works sometimes, still working on it!) I have a greater sense of openness.

All in all i'm a completely different person (of course we are not the same person as we was 4 seconds ago) I feel as if I can now do something with my life that I thought once I can never do, my depression still hits, but not as hard, and when it does, I do something productive with it! Thoughts of death and suicide, things that haunted me the past 1-2 years, are no longer there, I feel as if i'm finally seeing things more clearly, it's a blessing everyday, I have came to appreciate life dearly, even though it is a thing I know for a fact I will lose in the future, I want to devote my time in this life to help others, the environment, people close to me, and everyone who wishes to seek help.

oh my, I'm rambling, i'll shutup now :)

with love,
    Wesley
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    That was a great ramble, Wesley.

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    HMMM ive had some real downs.. i've been bullied in the past and it takes a long time to bounce back.. not to mention.. back pain.. braces.. glasses. and so ..

Bouncing back .. does help you and is natural for most people.. religion has never helped me as christianity is one of my pet hates now.. i won't even bother explaining why..

just to say that most ppl in britain do claim to believe in god and be a christian

our population has 1.highest teen pregnancy in europe, 2. most alcohol consumed in europe, and a lot of old ppl, grafiti.. 3. Glasgow is knifing capitol of europe. followed by other british places..

in short.. our population on average wud be a 50 something bastard who's drunk, has little respect and shags about a lot and claims he believe in god and jesus.. this guy will continue his shady life until he's about to die when he'll ask for forgiveness and believe hes off to heaven

yeaa. back to the subject.. giving up religion and giving up my grudges..( one em of was hating usa.. which i now understand was ignorance but partly justified) working out with weights.. helped me the most.. as having a good fitness level and gd endorphins pumping about u helps.. i also partake in jogging

and it took me a long time to actually realise that i was not ugly at all but that i was quite handsome.. funny how confidence does that to you..

and now buddhism is helping me.. i understand a few of the basics as i've only just started.. i love the whole chapters about suffering in "the heart of the buddha's teachings" i feel this will help me tons
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Hi Celebrin

You may be interested in hearing some rcordings from Henry Rollins, he had been bullied etc. when he was younger, worked out with weights, got some attitude and now-well, he's a great entertainer and spoken-word artist as well as the lead singer of Black Flag and of course the Rollins Band.

cheers
    Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    in short.. our population on average wud be a 50 something bastard who's drunk, has little respect and shags about a lot and claims he believe in god and jesus.. this guy will continue his shady life until he's about to die when he'll ask for forgiveness and believe hes off to heaven

Now that I know you a little better this paragraph has me peeing my pants with laughter. It's very good. Harsh, but funny as hell.

Hi, Xray! Haven't PMed you in ages. Shall do so immediately.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Before I walked the path, I was moody, irrascible and impatient, and I would fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

Now, I am more honest with myself, more aware of my limitations, and I have a sense of perspective about the universe and my place within it- this has worked wonders in helping me to control my temper, when I realise that what I was getting wound up over was not 'that' important. I'm more patient than I used to be, and although I'm far from perfect, as far as 'works in progress' go, I think I'm doing pretty much OK.
  • edited May 2006
    yes i use a lot of sarcasm and irony when im in the mood.. its not necessarily offensive but more comic value , depends how you view it

i've justed changed my eating habits.. as im not actually gaining any weight at all..

working out to the level i do.. i've just understood the damage i'm actually doing .. i don't have any of the food in my diet to actually help this and i dont gain any muscle/weight at all

i used the weight gain crap and it worked for like a week then as soon as i stopped using it i dropped straight back down again..

sooo Lunch as follows: 60g blueberrys, 100g peanuts, 2 mushrooms,1/5 of a cucumber a sandwich (brown bread) with tomato, lettuce, and some meat.... and if im hungry after a banana and some milk mebe

oh yea I've stopped drinking beer (any alco) (came to conclusion from reading 'the heart of the buddha's teachings) too .. im on milk and water..

way i figure it im probably malnurished... ouch feel the pain
  • edited October 2006
    Can Buddhism make you to a better person or having a better life ?.
    I beleive so, but if you have a problem as drugabusing or any other disorder i would recommend profesionel help. We all heard stories about people who found there salvation in religion but thats only for the few. Of course religion can help but not to stand alone.
    Dalai Lama was in Denmark for some years ago and he was asked exactly the same question. And that was hes answer :-)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Welcome, Buddhan. Good to see Danes here.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hi, Buddhan! I'll add my welcome to Fede's. It's nice to meet you and I hope you have a good time here. Make yourself at home.
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you Simon and Brigid :-)
  • edited October 2006
    Am I different? Yes. But maybe that's just because it is impossible to stay the same. Is it because of Buddhism? In part. But then, my life has probably been equally impacted by seemingly insignificant choices and beliefs.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hmmm... I was pretentious, changed identities year-by-year, exagerrated my talents, immature and shallow before Buddhism. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    No change there then......!!:poke: :lol::lol:
    edited October 2006
    :p But... Isn't change the on-only constant??? :) *looks up innocently*
    edited October 2006
    INNOCENTLY??!!??

You young whippy-snappy scally-wag, you.....;)
    edited October 2006
    But-but-but.... *looks tear-eyed*

I only wanted to become a Jedi!!! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Awwww!!! Love him! My sweet Ajani...

I was selfish, drowning in my own ego and in very deep emotional pain as a result before Buddhism, among other things...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Here is a dilemma for you,

I was under this impression/delusion that I was somehow "improved", until my wife pointed out recently that I'm still selfish and make mistakes on a regular basis (perhaps because I'm a man? hahaha) anyway, I think that perhaps I'm now not as "good" as I (arrogantly) thought I was. I'm so depressed.

Also, recently I've been hanging around Wikipedia, there's this guy (an engineer) who wrote some convoluted rubbish-using mathematics to explain how an antenna works, I read this (I am a Radio Engineer so I have a slight clue), but it is too involved for the average person reading it, after all it is an encyclopedia not a friggin theoretical text, I made some edits to the work to improve its readability and the guy went off his nut! Now who is more "wrong" him or me? or are we both nutbag whiners that need to get lives?

cheers to the rest of you, I think I'll go and eat some worms now...:bawling:
  • edited October 2006
    Poor Xray!

As for me, I was...wandering. And I didn't laugh or smile nearly as much as I do now.
    edited November 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Now who is more "wrong" him or me? or are we both nutbag whiners that need to get lives?

The secret is in your Intention, X-Ray.... Was it Right Intention?
  • edited November 2006
    is kinda both, you shouldn't have done that and he should have taken it lighter.

Try and take things more intuition wise.. i think our best decisions are usually the ones made straight away.. the amount of times i've not done anything.. which a lot of the time orients around girls and still does to my utter shame.. is really down to not taking inititive.

Be quick to fix mistakes and trust in not holding back, but not trying to try. I can apply that to majority of my life.. but not all.. still it helps..

We are already dead so be content that this singular time of ur bodys long existance is where u live.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    federica wrote:
    The secret is in your Intention, X-Ray.... Was it Right Intention?

mmmm I supose it was a right intention to "Help others understand"-not to piss Mr pigheadded radio guy off, It just didn't turn out that way.

Anyway, there are much more important issues to worry about so I'll stick to those in the future.

love yas all.
    cheers,

Xrayman
  • edited November 2006
    I think Buddhism has changed me........I continue to be a work in progress.
  • edited November 2006
    I think Buddhism has changed me........I continue to be a work in progress.

Deb,

I know I am a work in progress and shall always continue to be one! LOL!

Adiana:grin: :usflag:
  • edited November 2006
    I don't think buddhism has changed me... yet (haven't been into it that long), but *I* have changed, which is why I'm here now instead of just sitting in my appartment, feeling sorry for myself.. well, I still feel sorry for myself in between, but at least now I understand that that's getting me nowhere.

A lot of spiritual stuff has opened my eyes in many ways these past years (which is good, of course), but in the end I realized that all that, somehow, was just about ME ME ME - and it just wasn't the solution.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Wow! Those are some very strong and honest insights, Olivia. It sounds to me as if you're on the right road and ready to develop in the ways you want to. You're so right about the whole me, me, me thing. That's what started to wake me up as well, when I realized that all the energy I was putting into me, me, me wasn't getting me anywhere and I was isolating myself with my narrow perspective.

Speaking of which, it's my perspective that's changed dramatically since I started studying and practicing Buddhism. I don't see things the way I used to. My point of view has broadened considerably and I think of myself more as a process now within a larger context of other beings who want the same things as I do; happiness and the end to suffering. I feel much more hopeful and empowered which has made me less selfish because I feel I can afford to be less selfish now. The less I self obsess the stronger and more capable I feel in dealing with life in general.
  • edited November 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Wow! Those are some very strong and honest insights, Olivia. It sounds to me as if you're on the right road and ready to develop in the ways you want to. You're so right about the whole me, me, me thing. That's what started to wake me up as well, when I realized that all the energy I was putting into me, me, me wasn't getting me anywhere and I was isolating myself with my narrow perspective.

Speaking of which, it's my perspective that's changed dramatically since I started studying and practicing Buddhism. I don't see things the way I used to. My point of view has broadened considerably and I think of myself more as a process now within a larger context of other beings who want the same things as I do; happiness and the end to suffering. I feel much more hopeful and empowered which has made me less selfish because I feel I can afford to be less selfish now. The less I self obsess the stronger and more capable I feel in dealing with life in general.

Brigid,

You are so right! When I first started practicing Buddhism, all I was thinking about was me, me, me. Once I realized that, I then knew that I needed to not do that all the time and think of others instead. In other words, I needed to gain a bigger perspective.

Adiana:usflag:
  • edited November 2006
    Well, I havn't changed too much. Before I found Buddhism, I was skeptical, I believed in God, I wanted to do missionary work and convert people, I laughed at insignificant things, but I thought I would finally be happy if I only found a girlfriend that met my ridiculous criteria. The 2004 elections in America had much more to do with my disillusionment from faith than finding Buddhism did.

After I discovered Buddhism, I became even more skeptical, I laughed at insignificant things, and I realized that happiness had much less to do with external circumstances than it did with my state of mind. I don't believe in God, and I don't speculate on the afterlife.

I have become generally more content with my life though. I feel that I have relinquished a great deal of attachment to the rampant consumerism that dominates the country. I am not interested in the latest 'things', or fashion, or popularity. I have actually made more friends at my school, not surprisingly most of them atheists or agnostics.

Since happiness has become the highest of priorities, I made rules for myself that helps sustains that content. For instance, I used to constantly worry about things. Homework, projects, and such. I saw how working so hard every night kept my grades very high, it left me feeling empty and fatigued. I now have a rule where I refuse to do any more than 30 minutes of homework each night with an exception of 45 minutes in certain cases. This improved my efficiency and I feel much better knowing each night that I only have a half hour of homework.

Well it seems I have rambled a lot which doesn't pertain to Buddhism. Well in a way it does. By becoming more skeptical and aware, this mindfulness has given me a certain clairvoyance in life. I find myself less angry, less attached to outcomes. My friend is surprised by how seemingly unaffected I am by the amount of homework, lack of love life, and ease of life. I say it's all in the mind.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Buddhism has helped my mind interpret things differently. For the most part I am the same but slowly I change. The difference with Buddhism is that I believe it and it feels right.
  • edited November 2006
    Hi Comic!!!!! :) We miss you! How are you?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I am groovy. How are you? I have been without internet for a while but I am back on track.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hey, Comic! Nice to see you again!

Good Sir Knight,

I really enjoyed that post. I think you're well on your way, and at such a young age! I found this "I find myself less angry, less attached to outcomes." especially wise. It's taken me forever to understand how my attachment to outcomes was causing me suffering. I still fall into bad habits but at least I'm more aware now.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Yes, let me join the chorus! Good to see you back and feisty as ever!

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    I think I've personally changed a lot - as a younger child and teenager I had no real sense of what was right or wrong, I was a professional liar, I stole, I hurt those around me... in fact, everything I did was for personal gain. Now I know how wrong it was, and strive to be the exact opposite of my former self.
  • edited May 2007
    Hello all,
    Recovering from a breakdown. I now understand how much my mind colours my life. Yes, i've changed things about me. Good or bad, only time will tell.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Hey Esau,

It is good to see you again. I am sorry to hear that you had a breakdown of some sort, but I am glad to hear that you are recovering. I hope that the changes you have made will prove to be good ones.

Sincerely,

Jason