Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I find all assholes have good sides. Or vice versa?

edited March 2012 in General Banter
I find all assholes have good sides.
But is it that everyone inherently has a mixture? and you only see the bad or the good depending on yourself and label as such?
I haven't known anybody personally that was all bad or all good.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Everyone has the ability to do good or virtuous things. I don't think in buddhism there is such a thing as 'evil'. Even murders and rapists can do good things. Then on the flip side, nobody is perfect, we are all human.
  • All assholes are full of shit. All they really need is a good laxative to clear out all the crap.
  • TT-So ideally one would want to strive to be as best as possible, but still accept that no one is perfect as you say?
    Where would someone enlightened fit into this survey of human goodness?
    Sorry if this is a lot of questions, im always learning (:
    socks- hah. I figured it got the point across better than saying "mean people"
  • indeed it does.
  • A person who has reached a state of consciousness such as full awakening will become a buddha, thus they would not be human eventually. As far as there life before that happens goes, I cannot myself say.

Ideally you should not strive to be anything, buddhanature is within us all, but we operate under delusion and ignorance, the whole point of the path is to find this nature and not to become something or someone, because you are already that person. Striving could also be seen as clinging to a notion, that will lead to suffering. I have said this many times but you probably have never heard it, but the late and great Ajahn Chah said that to reach nirvana, you should notstrive to get there. In other words, not want to get there.
  • Well then I know alot of people on the right path to buddhahood haha (;
    But seriously, when I say good , I guess i mean clear, empty.
    I strive to be nothing in a certain way. I cant explain it well. I've pissed off a lot of friends trying to explain it.
  • socks- was that a metaphorical reference I missed?
    if it is, i want to know what the laxative is!
  • The lax would be the dharma. And sorry, I don't quite get what you mean by you strive to be empty, could you elaborate?
  • Usually most assholes/mean people actually think they're good people. Perception also plays a big part on whether someone is an asshole or not. Some people will see an action and see it as something fine, and others will see it as an assholish action.

It all comes down to the fact that everyone is different, and humans aren't perfect. Nature, nurture, and ones unique circumstances and culture is what makes people the way they're. At the end of the day anyone who comes across as a true asshole has to deal with themselves. Sometimes it could be good to walk away and let them deal with themselves. Other times it's better to stand up for yourself, so they know there are consequences to their actions.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I find all assholes have good sides.
    But is it that everyone inherently has a mixture? and you only see the bad or the good depending on yourself and label as such?
    I haven't known anybody personally that was all bad or all good.
    Thoughts?
    If all assholes have good sides then what qualifies them as assholes? also I guess if good guys have asshole sides then the same for them.
    You've sort of answered your own question.
  • So going on the premise of there aren't really good and bad Buddhist wise, how is murder forbidden/explicitly bad?
    i dont know if this is too off topic, or im assuming something wrong, still new here, and to life, please set me straight if this is the case.
  • edited March 2012
    The Angulimala Sutta tells the story of a murder who became a disciple of the Buddha. I guess this story proves your premise that even assholes have good sides.

In terms of kamma, its easy to see how murder would negatively affect everyone involved. It will lead to sorrow, distress, pain, lamentation, etc. Also, in the Abhisanda Sutta, Buddha explains the rewards of the first precept of abstaining from murder:
    "There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from taking life. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the first gift, the first great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. And this is the fourth reward of merit."
  • So going on the premise of there aren't really good and bad Buddhist wise, how is murder forbidden/explicitly bad?
    i dont know if this is too off topic, or im assuming something wrong, still new here, and to life, please set me straight if this is the case.
    Murder isn't wrong if it's to defend ones life.
    "'If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    -Dalai Lama
  • edited March 2012

Murder isn't wrong if it's to defend ones life.
    "'If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    -Dalai Lama
    Well, that is debatable.

The Vinita-vatthu tells of a story when a monk told an executioner to kill his victims compassionately with a single blow, as opposed to slowly torturing them, Buddha still expelled him from the Sangha. It stated that a recommendation to kill mercifully is still a recommendation to kill - something Buddha would never condone. Even the Kakacupama Sutta recorded the Buddha as saying, "Even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding."

Then again, conversely, there is that famous Mahayana story about the ferryboat captain. His boat was carrying 500 Bodhisattvas in the guise of merchants. A certain stowaway planned to kill everyone on board and pirate the ship's cargo. The captain, a Bodhisattva himself, saw the man's murderous intent and realized this crime would result in eons of torment for the murderer. In his impartial compassion, the captain was willing to take hellish torment upon himself by killing the man to prevent karmic suffering that would be infinitely greater than the suffering of the murdered victims. The point here is that he selflessly acted for the greatest good, regardless of the consequences he was bringing upon himself.

Like I said, it is debatable.
  • If you look even closer. The asshole or Goodie goodies = forms, sounds.

Then see how all the labels and the associations are placed on afterwards.

That is karma. Seeing prior to conceptualization is momentary freedom.

Seeing both nakedly is mindfullness practice.
  • Do assholes (people who treat others badly?) have their good sides?

Yes, and irrelevant. Someone who goes out and deliberately and uncaringly hurts others but then comes home and is a loving father and husband to his own family can be said to "have a good side". Monsterous acts are done all the time by regular people like you and me.

And regular, normal old asshole-dom is something everyone is capable of, given the right circumstances.
  • My asshole IS my good side!
  • Humans are capable of good and bad.

"Good" and "bad" depend on what side you're standing on.

Therefore, depending on where you're standing, one may be an asshole or not.
  • <
    If all assholes have good sides then what qualifies them as assholes? also I guess if good guys have asshole sides then the same for them.
    You've sort of answered your own question.
    It really is suibjective, so one person who is great with you can be an asshole to another person. That relationship is a huge part. The person who cuts you off in traffic may have just had a call that their mother is very ill, they are still being an asshole in traffic but a great kid to their mother.

Also I can see people that would consider me an asshole. Sometimes I really could have done something different and other times it was something they would not or could not understand. However much we accept that we will be an asshole sometimes I think that compassion and empathy means we can see how another person would experience the situation rather than just being self defensive.
  • The goodness of an asshole is valued higher than the goodness of a non-asshole.

There is that uncle who was a miserable asshole his whole life... then at his funeral it is revealed that he used to donate old cloths to the Salvation Army ... and everyone gets all glowy about how he was really a saint, even though donating old clothes to the Salvation Army was an ordinary thing to do.

• @RichardH I have seen that too with kids. We sometimes have a real soft spot for the stinkers. When they do one good thing then we give them the same reward a kid who does the right thing all the times gets. I think we just really want to encourage the better actions from the person it is super challenging for.

We also need to notice (and reflecting on Tom's thread about negativity) the people who are consistently doing good things. That is kinda hard.

So I commented on something awhile ago about praise vs encouragement. Praise is a simple 'good job' but encouragement is 'those clothes went to some people who really needed them' (without a good/bad judgement.

I am thinking about the correlations with our practice and the day I had yesterday with a rough group of kids. If we are getting away from the dichotomy of good/bad and away from outside judgements of our actions then encouragement is a valuable tool, and one we don't automatically know. As we are always encouraged to learn from our own experience rather than following anothers belief then being able to provide for others a chance to reflect on their actions rather than judging good/bad is a small way to put our practice into practice. Still thinking this one out,...
  • Everyone deserves compassion and love. For me, this is the hardest part of metta meditation and practice - especially when it comes to projecting metta to someone who has harmed you or someone with whom you have conflict. It can be as hard, for me anyway, as forgiving myself.

Still, it's worth trying to find honorable and worthy traits in assholes. They may be buried deeply behind layers of hate and ill will, but there is something there that we can find and make us realize that they, too, are people worthy of lovingkindness.

It's definitely easier said than done. Practice is a constant, constant effort.
  • Everyone deserves compassion and love. For me, this is the hardest part of metta meditation and practice - especially when it comes to projecting metta to someone who has harmed you or someone with whom you have conflict. It can be as hard, for me anyway, as forgiving myself.

Still, it's worth trying to find honorable and worthy traits in assholes. They may be buried deeply behind layers of hate and ill will, but there is something there that we can find and make us realize that they, too, are people worthy of lovingkindness.

It's definitely easier said than done. Practice is a constant, constant effort.
    For some reason this is one aspect of my practice that came easily to me, finding compassion for those who have even come to cause us great suffering. I try to look beyond their skin and bones and realize they are a suffering consciousness/ego trapped inside a body without any clue of how to actually attain true happiness, which is what all people really want at the end of the day.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Nobody is an asshole all of the time.
    Everybody is an asshole some of the time.
    It's all a matter of timing.
  • If you look for the good in people then you yourself will be less of ###
  • If everything is based on causes and conditions then how can anything offend?
  • @taiyaki, but some people say that they (the 'insert perjorative' choose in a layman's sense to take that road. And to appearances they have. Rare and few is/are one/ons who has/have penetrated the insubstantiality of the kleshas.

The Heart Sutra says 'no path' but yet a path still appears. What that 'no' means is not to cling to the emptiness/form. You are shown that form is emptiness and then told 'no' which is often misunderstood. Nihilism. Even a path unrelated to the Dharma appears. The path of the padowan or the path of the creator. The path of the comedian and the path of the analyst. No path but yet the path appears.

If someone sees the paths they might make the one of the first steps which is to see that what they are doing is causing harm. Yet they might be in a situation that is too difficult for them. In their life. Such as what I took from AHeerdt's post that I really found warming.

Thoughts are luminous and alive and have power. There is power not just causal chains and webs. Our words create karma and you just own your karma. If I am going to be an asshole I will do it full force. Not divided. That's a latter step. Yet I still have to go back to the empty beginning at times because the net of ignorance also is powerful and I have limitless karma creating such.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I used to work for a principal who always said there are 2 kinds of assholes. Your regular everyday garden variety asshole, and then there are your gaping assholes.

But to me, it isn't whether they have good points and are somewhat redeemable, it's at what point they cross the line and they just aren't worth the stress any more.
  • It's all about sharing power. You only give the asshole a little power over you. Who cares if they are an asshole or not? They can have their moment of power and they only have as much power of ass-holeness as you give them.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    @Jeffrey what power?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @Gui, I don't have an answer to that. I'm glad you asked. I was talking with my psychologist and we were talking about whether I was interested in going to a NAMI (national A? Mentalhealth Initiative) meeting.

I said that the leader had said something about an oak table (was what I got) and this leader also invited me to come to cavalry church where he also lead a meeting. The ego has power. AA has power. The girl scouts (like camping activities and badges earning) has power with their magic cookies they sell (these are decadent) :dunce: cap. Lincoln has power. Federica has power. etc..

You have power just asking me your question :) . See?

Power corrupts and that is why Buddhists purify their motivation before giving the power of their Dharmic bodies to other beings.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Thanks Jeffrey. I think I see what you mean. I'll have to ponder this a while.
    @Jeffrey what power?
    Yeah, I don't agree that assholeness necessarily is related to power.

• if another is acting out of their causes/conditions and you are acting out of your causes/conditions

then why be offended for or against? there is no agent in both subject or object.

so there is no asshole. there is only actions which are perceived. these action are attributed to a being or subject. but the actions do not originated purely from a subject. the actions originated from causes and conditions.

the christian's would say hate the sin not the sinner.

just some thoughts.
  • The way I see it is that a bum's main function is expelling that from our bodies that which is impure, polluting, and/or unnecessary for survival.

In that light People behaving that away is them expelling that which weighs them down.

Equally the both generally smell bad, we generally don't like it, avoid it, but they have their purpose. You can utilize both in see impure, sometimes painful things.

For me it's all about how you view the experience and what you learn from it. Do you learn what foods to avoid by examining the remains or you may learn a behavior to try and avoid. Anyway all of us have one, so embrace it and learn from it and let the smelly unpleasant part pass on by ya as soon as you can.
  • if another is acting out of their causes/conditions and you are acting out of your causes/conditions

then why be offended for or against? there is no agent in both subject or object.
    Are you saying that you're incapable of being offened?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    First, find the "you" who is or is not offended.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    If everything is based on causes and conditions then how can anything offend?
    Just because you may know the reason for WHY something happened it doesn't justify THAT it happened.

• The way I see it is that a bum's main function is expelling that from our bodies that which is impure, polluting, and/or unnecessary for survival.

In that light People behaving that away is them expelling that which weighs them down.

Equally the both generally smell bad, we generally don't like it, avoid it, but they have their purpose. You can utilize both in see impure, sometimes painful things.

For me it's all about how you view the experience and what you learn from it. Do you learn what foods to avoid by examining the remains or you may learn a behavior to try and avoid. Anyway all of us have one, so embrace it and learn from it and let the smelly unpleasant part pass on by ya as soon as you can.
    This is great lol :thumbsup:
  • LOL the most ironic, amazing, thought about this just came to me, and made me laugh loud enough my son asked what. Without going into 2 much detail about the whys and hows, my soon-to-be X has physically 2 of them. I need to go ponder that now.
  • Oh and I didn't tell my son why I was laughing.
  • First, find the "you" who is or is not offended.
    Are you saying that you're incapable of being offened?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I just can't find the me who is or is not offended.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Not really about good or bad but life as it is continueosly presented to us and the choices we make, the path we choose to follow at that moment. Sometimes we scream back, other times we see our anger and decides to hold our tongues. Other times we see the pain the other person is experienceing and we extend compassion and loving-kindness.
    Part of the human brain is reptilian, one that only sees threats and survival, me, mine or I. This week a co-worker said something hurtful to me, I became angry and wanted to hold onto my anger like it was gold. Then I remembered this other facet of the human brain, the ability to be aware, the one that knows I am going to die, the one that has the ability to be compassionate, to be sympathetic and to look beyond itself. And forgiveness and healing came. My mind was no longer disturbed. There is never perfection, that is an illusion. But we have the ability to be mindful, to cultivate that ability, and realize our states and our frame of mind. It's the path we take, what we choose to cultivate- I can grow the reptilian side of my brain, that which seeks only for itself and whose eventual end everytime is pain or one that views the self as just a term and realizes that love and compassion are the greatest goals in life.
    Sometimes we need to hear the hard things, so to better lead our lives.
  • I see, so you do get offened. I still wonder if @taiyaki gets offened. We can probably assume that he does, aye?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I see, so you do get offened. I still wonder if @taiyaki gets offened. We can probably assume that he does, aye?
    Show me where is the you that can be offended. Is it your body? Is it your mind? Is it your ego?
  • So who is the real asshole? The person that is perceived to be an asshole or the one that is making the judgement?
    So who is the real asshole? The person that is perceived to be an asshole or the one that is making the judgement?
    Well, what I've usually found to be true is that it's typically many people who perceive a particular person to be an asshole. So I'd say the asshole is the asshole.

• I see, so you do get offened. I still wonder if @taiyaki gets offened. We can probably assume that he does, aye?
    Show me where is the you that can be offended. Is it your body? Is it your mind? Is it your ego?
    We don't need to show that.
  • edited March 2012
    I have never actually thought of anyone I would call that. Not saying I haven't ever been offended by anyone, or be offensive to someone. I just don't think in black and white terms on anything. Even the laws of nature has exceptions or seems to.

Thinking this way helps me in staying objective on most things, in a way visualize thing as a 3rd person. However being able to do that isn't as great as it may seem, as I am often confused, searching for answer, and left with a lack of full understanding any single thing, thus somewhat insecure.