Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are tattoos helpful for practice?

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
I know that a lot of people get tattoos to help remind them of Buddhist ideas or mindfulness or something along those lines, but my question is, does it really work?

There was a picture a while back where someone had gotten "sati"(mindfulness) written on their hand to remind themselves to be mindful... But I wonder, while a really cool idea that I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about replicating, does it actually work? Or does it just become like everything else: normal and no longer note worthy to the mind?

What do you think? Anybody have any good stories of how their tattoos help them in life/practice?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Never had a tattoo. Not averse to it, but not desiring one either. I do not see how it can help practice any more that wearing a pendant, or putting a Buddha on the mantle. We have the reminder of unrelenting Dukkha, driving us from one thing to another. Driving us to the tattoo studio... not that getting a tattoo is bad or anything.. but.
  • I'd stick with a ring or bracelet for now...problem with tattoos is that if they're exposed...their not always accepted as the norm and may prevent you from getting a job.

Its better to keep your spiritual beliefs internally. Write them onyour bones.

Find other cues to remind you...like eveeytime you cross a threshold or set alarms...or at stop lights.
  • Tattoos are a very personal thing to me. I have a few, but they are jot visible when wearing normal clothes. I would feel self conscious if they were visible, I got them for me. I think if you feel like a tattoo would benefit you, go for it, just think about where you put it.
  • He means don't put a lotus flower on your forehead...lol
    Tattoos are a very personal thing to me. I have a few, but they are jot visible when wearing normal clothes. I would feel self conscious if they were visible, I got them for me. I think if you feel like a tattoo would benefit you, go for it, just think about where you put it.
  • @Lady_Alison I like how you take my ramblings and make them coherent. Haha. So, yeah, don't put a lotus on ur face !
  • Zombiegirl you're too gorgeous to get tat up! Then when you get older it looks different as skin sags you know... just not pretty.

@Mfrandorf ... it was written in male, I was simply translating...haha.
  • I have thought about an eightfold path one at times, it would have to be where I could see it though since that is helpful. No matter what I forget those darn things.

In addition I would like left and right put on the insides of my wrists. Don't try to teach me, if I can't tell them apart at 45 it is just how my brain is wired.

I only have one now and it is my old nick name in college, Tink for Tinkerbell. It is on my calf but at least I work in the school district with visible tattoos, guages, piercings, and that is just the teachers.
  • I guess they could be, it depends on the individual I supose. In Thailand there are traditional buddhist tattoos that quite a few people get done with sharpen bamboo. Seriously, I have not had any but I know a few people that have and it must hurt like hell. Here is an example of one.

Also here is a vid of one being done.

• BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    I remember the exact moment I decided to get a tattoo. I had seen the word "balance" on a glass somewhere, and I thought "That's something I want to remind myself to always have." I struggled for weeks on the how and what of getting the tattoo. On a whim one day I got it. Sanskrit on my left forearm. Kinda noticeable. I thought at the time "Perfect, I will always see this and thus always remember to keep a balance to all things I do and think."

Reality proved otherwise. I don't even notice it anymore and it's a rather large tattoo on my left forearm. Occasionally, after a long period of cold weather, I'll wear a t-shirt and catch the tattoo out of the corner of my eye while I work. All I notice is how good a job the tattoo artist did and how sharp the whole thing still looks. People, the brave ones, ask about it from time to time and I just shrug it off and tell them what it means and what language it is in. No one asks about anything more that what language it's written in. Some even think it's written in Arabic and therefor makes me some sort of terrorist. I love talking to those idiots.

The balance I was looking for comes from mindfulness and practice. Not tattoo's.

TL;DR a tattoo will not make your practice any better, only you can make your practice better. A tattoo will not help you to keep in mind anything any more than normal.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade the tattoo experience for anything. Can't wait to get the next one. :) Everyone has their own path, find yours.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I would love to get a Buddhist themed tattoo, still haven't worked out quite what I would want.
    I wouldn't see it as being particularily helpful, unless it helps to inspire one. I can't see any harm in it unless later you change your mind about what you believe :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, it doesn't work.
    Not for your personal self.
    What I mean by that is, that after a while, you become conditioned and accustomed to it, and it becomes 'invisible'.
    the only time it reminds you of your practice, is when someone else sees it, and says, "Oh that's cool...."
    And you reply, "Yeah, I had it to remind me of....." and you remember that it was supposed to remind you of.....
    I think bracelets are a lot more effective.....
    first of all, you can take them on and off, and then, if they connect with a surface, they 'clank' and you remember you're wearing it.

By all means have a tattoo, if you'd like one - but don't expect it to help you deepen your practice, make you more aware, and keep you mindful.

• No, it doesn't work.
    Not for your personal self.
    What I mean by that is, that after a while, you become conditioned and accustomed to it, and it becomes 'invisible'.
    the only time it reminds you of your practice, is when someone else sees it, and says, "Oh that's cool...."
    And you reply, "Yeah, I had it to remind me of....." and you remember that it was supposed to remind you of.....
    I think bracelets are a lot more effective.....
    first of all, you can take them on and off, and then, if they connect with a surface, they 'clank' and you remember you're wearing it.

By all means have a tattoo, if you'd like one - but don't expect it to help you deepen your practice, make you more aware, and keep you mindful.

She awakens from her slumber! Yes though this is true, like I have said before a friend of mine had tattoos on his face, after some months I forgot they were even there to a great extent, they became a part of him if you will.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    she awakened two hours ago....i sleep light. :D

I like the word, 'slumber'..... it's not used enough.....
  • I tend to drop in random words now and again, and yes slumber is seldom used :p I do have quite a big vocab, but my seplling is poor to say the least :( So I often hesitate to type words. I sleep like a log on account of mu meds, knock out meds, I love em.
  • Throughout the years I too thought that getting a tattoo would be good to help me remember who I was and what was important. In my 20's a tribal style cross was perfect. In my 30's I found Jimmy Buffett, a pirate ship and a mermaid on my forearms seemed to speak volumes to me. Now in my 40s a dharma wheel and a foo dog would be absolutely perfect.

Thankfully I didn't get any of those tattoos. My mala beads around my left wrist and a small green stone in my pocket help to keep me mindful everyday as I walk my path.
  • I tend to drop in random words now and again, and yes slumber is seldom used :p I do have quite a big vocab, but my seplling is poor to say the least :( So I often hesitate to type words. I sleep like a log on account of mu meds, knock out meds, I love em.
    wrong thread, oooopsi
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Getting a tatoo saying 'nothing is permanent' on your forehead would be a good reminder that one day you too will die. :buck:
  • I agree with the majority here. I have a few tattoos, nothing Buddhist-related, and the novelty wears off. I sort of don't even realize they're there.

I would suggest mala beads as @Kangaroo recommended or something that you can change when the novelty begins to wear off.
  • evolveevolve Explorer
    hi zombiegirl,

It might ultimately depend on the person and their experience in their life as to how they will interact and benefit from a particular tattoo. The experience may vary from every individual and the tattoo may mean different things throughout one's life. Not that it's a good or bad thing about myself, but I tend to naturally appreciate the beauty of flaw, and uniqueness and things that that are abstract forms of beauty. Something that stands out and looks quirky, that wouldn't normally be deemed attractive. But, that's just my taste and for that reason I usually am very attracted to tattoos of many forms. I do have a Buddhism tattoo on my arm, and for me it does remind me very often and grounds me. But that's just me. and I live in an area with a lot of people who do not have tattoos and probably look at me like I'm weird haha. and that's okay, I think it's important to have a healthy form of expression. One that doesn't hold a lot shame yet holds being humble. I'm very introverted, and I think it's an important reminder to myself and a healthy way to remain grounded. but everyone has their reasons for doing something. I can understand how some people wouldn't benefit from a tattoo since their forms of perceptions and mindfulness might be different. and some people aren't attracted to getting a tattoo of fear it will interfere with their material gains. I see getting a tattoo as anything that we would do as a change or expression of our self , just as the same as what clothes we choose or what hair we choose or any other form of body language or anything. Ultimately , we have to ask ourselves our intention, and if it's a healthy intention, without the desire or fear dragging along, then I would think there's nothing wrong with any form of expression as long as we don't have a care or need or fear for the expression in the first place. Then it wouldn't matter what we do, because we would have no attachment to the outcome.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Thank you all for the great replies.

I actually haven't had any Buddhist tattoos in mind that have stood the test. My test is that I have to think something is an awesome idea after a year, because I figure, if it lasts at least that amount of time and I STILL want to do it... I probably won't regret it that much later on.

My interest in tattoos is mostly an aesthetic one because I am an artist. I do frequently compliment people on the artwork, but I am still unsure that I could commit to any image, no matter how well drawn, for the rest of my life.

I do have one tattoo in mind that I've been thinking about for a few years. It's from the movie, "I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK" But for me, I think the most important part of the tattoo would be the experience of getting one, knowing that someday it will not look as good... just like my body. :) I think it might be an important experience to give someone the opportunity to do something to my body that might mess it up as a means of letting go of the intense need I feel to control my body, if this makes sense. I also find that it's helpful to my hypochondria to think of my body as a machine, doing its thing and repairing itself, instead of associating so closely with it.

The bottom panel:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2012
    My Mother says that tattoos are a way of telling people you're stupid without opening your mouth.

But she's Japanese, and tattoos for her generation have connotations with Yakuza and society drop outs.

At 42 years old and 17 years in the army, I never had any tattoos; too frightened of my ole Mom!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I still regret not getting that tatoo of a pot leaf on my ankle. :buck:
  • My Mother says that tattoos are a way of telling people you're stupid without opening your mouth.

But she's Japanese, and tattoos for her generation have connotations with Yakuza and society drop outs.

At 42 years old and 17 years in the army, I never had any tattoos; too frightened of my ole Mom!
    lol great @Tosh, love it. I myself never have liked the idea of having a tattoo apart from one time after a breakup when I wanted one on my love stick. I guess it was a way of getting back at her in a way and hurting myself in the process. Now that idea has long left my head :)
  • My oldest has several tattoes, which prompted her grandfather to suggest she work as a prostitute. Um yeah, But they are meaningful to her. The full back angel wings are for her extra father, the dad of her best friend, who passed away when she was 18. A great guy who was awesome with children and made her feel welcome in their home all the time. Cancer stinks,

Now there are totally craptastic tattoes out there. Ones that are not attractive and do not have any sense of placement with the body and other tattoes. I kinda hate those. A beautiful full sleeve is much better than a jumble of words and images that have no balance. I have a dream thing, if I get my body in good shape, that is a piercing. It surprises people, and has nothing to do with this thread at all. But I love the corset piercings, where matched rings are pierced up the back and ribbon is laced through them. Okay you know my freaky-ness now.
  • My oldest has several tattoes, which prompted her grandfather to suggest she work as a prostitute. Um yeah, But they are meaningful to her. The full back angel wings are for her extra father, the dad of her best friend, who passed away when she was 18. A great guy who was awesome with children and made her feel welcome in their home all the time. Cancer stinks,

Now there are totally craptastic tattoes out there. Ones that are not attractive and do not have any sense of placement with the body and other tattoes. I kinda hate those. A beautiful full sleeve is much better than a jumble of words and images that have no balance. I have a dream thing, if I get my body in good shape, that is a piercing. It surprises people, and has nothing to do with this thread at all. But I love the corset piercings, where matched rings are pierced up the back and ribbon is laced through them. Okay you know my freaky-ness now.
    To each their own AHeerdt lol, not freakiness, more eccentric. I was going to get my penis tattooed for god sake :p
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I've found something permanent.

Stupidity.

http://www.elistmania.com/still/25_regrettable_tattoo_spelling_mistakes/showall/
    Soldier Mag ran a feature after Gulf War 1 where a couple of British soldiers got 'Dessert Rats' (as opposed to 'Desert Rats') tattooed on their arms with the pink rat of the 6th Armoured Brigade under it.

Made me smile.

must have been a strawberry blancmange rat.....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I've found something permanent.

Stupidity.

http://www.elistmania.com/still/25_regrettable_tattoo_spelling_mistakes/showall/
    God... How can these people call themselves artists!? So depressing.
    My artist had two signs in his workshop -
    "I don't do Lovers' names. Names are temporary. Tattoos are permanent."
    Somebody told him the apostrophe was in the wrong place.
    I chimed in and said - "No - the apostrophe is in the right place. Lucky for you - so are you."

The other sign stated - "the only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that the people with tattoos don't give a shit if you don't have a tattoo."

If you're going to have a tattoo - choose wisely.
    go to a tattoo and piercing convention, go round and look at the artists, and ask questions.

If you get hostility - which, in some places, is arrogance and impatience - then call 'em out on it.
    I did. And it paid off.

my brother travelled to a different country for his tattoo.
    Be prepared to do the same.