Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

For a Dollar

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited March 2012 in Diet & Habits
This is mainly for @LeonBasin because in a thread a few days ago we were discussing food in Thailand for a dollar. I normally eat at a variety of either street vendors or what I call 'open air restaurants'. This meal was purchased at one of these open air places, they have tables and chairs, nortmally 1-2 chefs at the fornt of the place, a buddhist shrine and that is about it. They chefs normally own the place and live upstairs. You can help yourself to free water and ice if you eat there but I took it home to take a pic for Leon. Bleieve it or not, she had ran out of rice!! So I ordered 'pasee-eel' which is a wide noodle with vegetable and you choice of either chicken, pork or seafood. You also get some spices and stuff if you want to add them, here is the picture.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    that looks bloody lush....
    I had a friend (a doctor, in fact) who went to Thailand, and for 2-and-a-half weeks, she ate at these roadside stalls... health and safety was tossed to the wind, and she would sit and watch as these various little insignificant cooks conjured up the most wonderful miracle-dishes out of ingredients open to the air, the traffic and passing flies....
    she had a wonderful time, but on the last evening there, decided to indulge herself and eat a 'proper meal' in the hotel restaurant.
    by the time she had returned to the UK two days later, she had developed a really nasty bout of food poisoning... which eventually, was traced back to the hotel meal.

nice....
  • lol that is quite funny how it came from the hotel and not the stalls. I must admit, when I first came I was a bit taken back by the health and saftey, but now I wonder if in the west they have gone crazy with it. There is meat out all day with flies clearly feasting on it in 30+ degrees heat. Okay, it is on a sheet of ice, but that is it. Still, I eat at these places daily and the only food poisoning I got was from eating at somebodies house.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    That looks delicious - especially as I could just about eat a horse right about now... its been a fair few years that 'scratch and sniff' has been around - cant wait for the internet to be 'grab and eat'...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
    a Health & Safety health inspector - and quite a senior one at that - told me that frankly, many H&S regulations in the UK are bordering on the positively anal....but unfortunately, because they are the reg's - he has to enforce them....
    such as washing up plates in a sink, then having to wash your hands - again - in a hand-washing sink before touching the food....
    so - your hands are clean and washed, from washing dishes and rinsing them - then you have to go and wash your hands in a hand-sink, before picking up that loaf of bread.....
    however, due to the colossal amount of food wastage in the UK (upwards of £12 - £15,000,000 per annum) the government is looking to abolishing the 'best before' labelling, and confining it to just the 'use by' dates.
    See attached file....
  • Scratch and sniff? i am not familiar with this... Is it American or is it just that I was too young or not alive when it was around. But anyway, can you believe it, she was out of rice at 1pm, in Thailand!! The horror :eek: lol, no really i didn't mind, it's food at the end of the day. Aorry if I made you even more hungry @zero :-/
  • a Health & Safety health inspector - and quite a senior one at that - told me that frankly, many H&S regulations in the UK are bordering on the positively anal....but unfortunately, because they are the reg's - he has to enforce them....
    such as washing up plates in a sink, then having to wash your hands - again - in a hand-washing sink before touching the food....
    so - your hands are clean and washed, from washing dishes and rinsing them - then you have to go and wash your hands in a hand-sink, before picking up that loaf of bread.....
    however, due to the colossal amount of food wastage in the UK (upwards of £12 - £15,000,000 per annum) the government is looking to abolishing the 'best before' labelling, and confining it to just the 'use by' dates.
    See attached file....
    I never use to take much notice of the best before dates anyway. The amount of food wasted is quite shocking though, considering how many people are starving to death daily.

I also think that if people are too clean then they also are prone to killing a lot of the bacteria that helps fight disease and illnesses etc. Again like a lot of things, middle way :om:
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Really?? woah... I'm showing my age I guess!! um - well - its pretty much that - a little part of the paper that you can scratch and sniff - novelty I guess... ;)

you couldnt make me any more hungry (if my body had its way, I'd never stop eating!!) - I'm one of those who likes every food (thus far) and Thai food especially - made me smile imagining you sitting in the bustle of it all with that delicious dish to consume... happy for you and yes, I'll be going to Thai restaurant with the picture in hand!!! Thanks for the heads up!
  • Really?? woah... I'm showing my age I guess!! um - well - its pretty much that - a little part of the paper that you can scratch and sniff - novelty I guess... ;)

you couldnt make me any more hungry (if my body had its way, I'd never stop eating!!) - I'm one of those who likes every food (thus far) and Thai food especially - made me smile imagining you sitting in the bustle of it all with that delicious dish to consume... happy for you and yes, I'll be going to Thai restaurant with the picture in hand!!! Thanks for the heads up!
    lol, no problem zero. I hope the Chef can make it as authentic as possible. If you want this just as for passee-eel, (it has nothing to do with the animal). Good luck :buck:
    yesterday i had kimchi, mayo and grilled aubergine in granary bread.
    I have weird tastes, but i'm sorry - it was delicious!
  • yesterday i had kimchi, mayo and grilled aubergine in granary bread.
    I have weird tastes, but i'm sorry - it was delicious!
    Sounds nice, I guess you just had to get that out of your system huh federica, (exscuse the pun)
    not yet...... :D
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Those noodles look great. I'm a big fan of 'peasant food' from any country. Ratatouille, tomato sauce and pasta, hot pots, stews, noodles - it's all really tasty comforting stuff. Posh food doesn't do it for me.

I'd love a shot at those road side restaurants.

In Japan, in Winter, I had big bowl of steaming udon noodles from a street vendor; they were the best noodles I've ever had.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, I do need to give a caution about Thai street food. But yes, in both my long-summer-in-Thailand phase (about 15 summers in Thailand, usually 7 weeks at a time) and my 2 years living there, I did eat street food. Just not as a steady diet. And yes, on occasion I had what the Thais refer to as "walking around stomach", usually attributable to street food...but, admittedly I have a sensitive stomach and am prone to react more to unclean food than other people.

But here's my story. My significant other in Thailand has aplastic anemia. That's not just anemia, that's where you usually have to have bone marrow transplants and chemotherapy, etc. You almost never get fully cured, but it's more often somewhat manageable. And, it increases your likelihood of contracting other diseases, such as Hepatitis. For years my friend would end up in the hospital, sometimes for weeks at a time, usually 4 or more times a year. And what did he eat day in and day out? Street food.

When I arrived to live there, I put a stop to that. Almost every night we ate out in a sit down restaurant for a full meal or I cooked, and there were a number of Thai meals I got pretty good at. Guess what. For 2 full years he never ended up in the hospital even once. The doctors couldn't figure it out. But I knew. It was eating well-rounded meals on a virtually daily basis. Far less coconut oil. Higher protein. After the riots and virtual martial law, I left and returned to the US. He reverted to daily street food. 2 months later he was back in the hospital for 2 weeks, and has returned to the hospital for multiple days at least every second or third month ever since.

Again, I like Thai street food on occasion. But I suggest you also go to where the street vendors go to buy their food -- a wet market. Few Westerners ever see these places. Open-air...by that I mean the meat just hanging on hooks and not at all refrigerated (and keep in mind how hot tropical Thailand is), flies buzzing about, no one handling the meat washing their hands, etc.

And although it's getting a little less common in Bangkok (but you still see it), they deliver ice to some of these vendors in old-fashioned blocks (melts slower), and sometimes those "naked" blocks of ice are just dragged along the street and chipped apart on site as needed.

Even in some of the better small store front noddle shop types of places, food will sit out in large pans from mid-morning until closing. No refrigeration at all, often not covered.

I want to close by saying once again that yes, I ate street food in Thailand. But mostly I restricted that to food that I could watch them cook (heat does wonders to cut down on bacterial growth) and it wasn't a steady diet.

• Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    AHHH-Mystery Meat stir fry, YUM.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    AHHH-Mystery Meat stir fry, YUM.
    LOL. Well, it's not really mystery meat. Although you have to be careful when you buy my favorite street food -- meatballs on a stick which is then dipped into sweet chili sauce. The meatballs can be beef, pork, chicken, or fish...or just "meat"...I guess that last one is the mystery meat!

• In Issan Northern Thailand they eat dog.. Anyway thanks for your info @vinyln however I am still going to eat meat from open air restaurants or street vendors, seeing as over the course of 2 years on Thursday I have never been ill from the food. If at spicy food daily then it really messes with your stomach and digestive system, I know Thais with conditions because of it.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    This is mainly for @LeonBasin because in a thread a few days ago we were discussing food in Thailand for a dollar. I normally eat at a variety of either street vendors or what I call 'open air restaurants'. This meal was purchased at one of these open air places, they have tables and chairs, nortmally 1-2 chefs at the fornt of the place, a buddhist shrine and that is about it. They chefs normally own the place and live upstairs. You can help yourself to free water and ice if you eat there but I took it home to take a pic for Leon. Bleieve it or not, she had ran out of rice!! So I ordered 'pasee-eel' which is a wide noodle with vegetable and you choice of either chicken, pork or seafood. You also get some spices and stuff if you want to add them, here is the picture.
    Thank you! I really appreciate it! That looks real good for a freaking $1 WOW!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I do have a question. How did it make you feel afterwards? Bloated?
  • I do have a question. How did it make you feel afterwards? Bloated?
    I felt as if I had eaten some food lol. I wasn't bloated or full up so to speak, but I was satisfied. A pack of sunflower seeds (not coated in sugar or whatever) equates to 20 cents I worked out, I eat those on a regular basis after a meal normally or as a snack. Them or pumpkin seeds.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    It was the way the street vendors washed their dishes that scared me. A washtub full of water that seem to be used for the whole day. The fried chicken was excellent. And those pancakes that the muslim women make.
  • When I use to live in a guest house last year and sometimes take my food home, I use to wash my dishes with warm water alone, no cleaning products, and I was never ill from that. I have come to learn that there is a middle way with health and saftey with food, in the west they do not seem to have it, but here I cannot complain as of yet with the food what so ever.
  • Oh god! Tom, good pic!

It looks nummy nummy.
  • It was nummy nummy, nums nums, is that what baby talk is like? I forget now. Hopefully today there actually is rice in a country where the one major consumption product is, rice... :crazy:
  • yay, today she had rice, but she screwed up my order! Me and my GF refer to her as 'lady dam' which means lady black because she never smiles and even if you are polite she has this screwface or kind of patronising look about her. She cooks alone and is alone, so I guess that has something to do with it, but she sometimes gets our order wrong either by mistake or on purpose, either way it doesn't bother me too much. I ordered something which was not spicy, but I got a dish that would blow your head off lol. Looks like me and mr toilet will be having a good get together sooner or later!
    why is it hotter on the way out, than on the way in....?
  • lol, not hot exactly, well it is hot on the way in and slightly hot on the way out, but it certainly makes one frequent the restroom a few times than what is considered normal. She made me a meal that would be for a typical thai who eats spicy food day in day out, I eat spicy food now and then, but I always ask for 'pet nit-noi' which means a little spicy. I GF has a problem with her stomach beause she has eaten spicy food too much, and also my english, his ex had the same condition, I forget the name now, but they have a sensitive digestive system because of it.
  • Boy, that brings back memories of my Korean days. I loved the deep fried food from the street venders, in particular the dumplings I think were called mandu. I never acquired a taste for seaweed, so the popular rice wrapped in seaweed wasn't for me.

And you've never lived until you bite into deep fried chicken feet on a stick. You're supposed to spit out the toenails.
  • Yes I go to a market where they spare no part of a chicken, the sell the feet and everything. For 40baht you can buy this huge fried part which is meant for a pet dog for example. I did not realize and I thought it was a great deal because it was fried I could not see what was inside, but my GF quickly told me why I could not eat that lol.
    i love chicken feet!
    My grandmother used to raise her own chickens, and would occasionally 'prepare one for the pot' ...
    Realise this was from scratch, because of course, most people now just think of pre-packed, pre-prepared chicken wrapped in plastic and polystyrene....
    I'm one of the few people i know who knows precisely how to prepare a chicken for the table....
    and she used to throw all the good 'spare bits' into a big stock pot..... and when she had finished with them, i got to eat all the bits she wasn't going to use in the final dish - and my favourites were the feet!
  • I know it's hijacking the thread, but that brings back a memory of my own grandmother back in hills telling me to catch a chicken for supper. She pointed out the one she wanted in the chicken coop, one of the old hens that wasn't laying much anymore. It's amazing how hard it is to catch a chicken even in a small shed, when they somehow know it's a fight for their lives and the other chickens are also panicing. And those beaks do hurt when they peck you.
  • And of course, when it came time for me to leave Korea, my TB test came back positive. Had to take pills for an entire year. But that has more to do with people spitting on the sidewalks all the time and sharing bowls of food at the table than street venders.
    I know it's hijacking the thread, but that brings back a memory of my own grandmother back in hills telling me to catch a chicken for supper. ....
    this brings back memories....

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14730/the-newbuddhist-official-nostalgia-thread
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    I know it's hijacking the thread, but that brings back a memory of my own grandmother back in hills telling me to catch a chicken for supper. She pointed out the one she wanted in the chicken coop, one of the old hens that wasn't laying much anymore. It's amazing how hard it is to catch a chicken even in a small shed, when they somehow know it's a fight for their lives and the other chickens are also panicing. And those beaks do hurt when they peck you.
    Just be thankful your grandmother didn't raise Grissly Bears or Lions. :lol: