Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is everyone you meet on your path part of your Sangha?

BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
edited March 2012 in Sanghas
I kinda feel they are.

As many of the early Buddhist texts in Pali and Sanskrit were translated to other languages, much was lost in that translation. The definition of "sangha" seems to be one of those casualties.

In early Buddhist texts, sangha usually refereed to the two types of religious orders: the order of monks (bhiksu-sangha) and the order of nuns (bhiksuni-sangha).

However, there is also the term, "samagra-sangha" or “harmonious order.” It was felt that members of the sangha should practice in harmony since they share the same goal of attaining enlightenment. This to me seems to indicate that the term "sangha" takes into account all those who participate as a "community" towards the same end; whether monks, nuns, or lay followers.

Pretty much all you meet while on your spiritual path.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Pretty much all you meet while on your spiritual path.
    In the widest -- or most 'truthful' -- sense, this is true.

In a narrower sense, the mind is a wily customer, so sticking with those who nourish the way in a 'Buddhist' fashion is not a bad idea. True, it's just an idea ... but it's not a bad idea.
  • I pretty much consider everybody (mostly) on here to be part of my sangha.
  • Anyone you can learn from on the path is in your "sangha" -- regardless of religion or any other classification --regardless of even whether you like them or not.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Everyone and everything is Sangha.

..but, Sangha is also a group people who gather without needing to say anything, ring the evening bell , chant together, bow together, sit together, walk together, sit together... and then after smile and say goodnight to each other and quietly leave. Very special and intimate and supporting of practice.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Sangha are meant to be practitioners in ones spiritual community who have accomplished at least some degree of realization, Or generally speaking the people who help within your spiritual community.
  • Sangha broadly speaking is everything and everyone around you.
  • You are all part of my sangha. You are my only contact with other buddhists. ;)
  • Physical contact and group practice/support cannot be replaced IMHO. There is a narrow gate of discipline that opens out wide, and can't be bypassed if we are going to move from insights to realization down to the bone.