Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does being gay influence our spirituality?

edited March 2012 in Buddhism Today

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    who is this?
    where did you find this?

Please provide some kind of reference. Thanks.
  • it is a You Tube video. clicking on the title will go to You Tube

i posted it because i sensed some members here may benefit from listening to it

metta :)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    The video was too long and the speaker was not very engaging, so could you give other short-attention-spanned members a summary of what the video is about?

From the bits I did watch, I couldn't even tell that he's talking about what sexuality has to do with spirituality. He talks a lot about how homosexuality affects social and therefore psychological factors, but not really anything about spirituality.

IMO, "spirituality" refers to the human experience of being connected to a universal truth that isn't necessarily a human construction. To me (as a hetero-normative male), I don't see how my sexual preference would affect this. I mean, I can see how some homosexuals may be turned off from a religion's stance on their sexuality, but that's a human thing, not the teachings at the core.

To use a Buddhist example, I don't see how being sexually attracted to people of the same sex/opposite sex/animals affects one's ability to meditate and act mindfully.

I don't intend to offend any LGBT members of this forum, so I apologize if I seem insensitive. But this is just my perception as a hetero-normative man.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

To use a Buddhist example, I don't see how being sexually attracted to people of the same sex/opposite sex/animals affects one's ability to meditate and act mindfully.
    i completely agree....
    I don't intend to offend any LGBT members of this forum, so I apologize if I seem insensitive. But this is just my perception as a hetero-normative man.
    "heterosexual" would do just fine, don't you think?
    'hetero-normative' make one think that anything outside 'hetero' isn't - 'normal'.

• ok...if you don't like it, delete the thread :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Well you certainly couldn't be a Jew, Christian or Muslim and if you where gay why would you want to be ?
  • The only way it affects me is that some religions would reject me on sight simply because I'm gay. This upsets me. Sitting in a friend's church a while back, being subjected to a sermon about how lesbians who came out later in life (like me) were evil witches who did it on purpose to get children they could brainwash, was not a pleasant experience.

So when I first became interested in Buddhism, I was permanently tense around sanghas for signs that they were homophobic and about to throw me out on my ear. But that didn't happen, and although I have met homophobic Buddhists, I've realised that unlike most religions, Buddhism allows for much greater personal opinion on morality and judging other's morality is not considered the done thing.
  • Does being (man, woman, straight, gay, rich, poor, disabled, etc) influence our spirituality? Stop and think about the question for a moment. Every bit of our life experience influences who we are. Every part of our lives influences every other part. Maybe your sexual identity plays a small part in your life, or a big part, but it plays a part.

So the only possible answer is a resounding yes, being gay influences your spirituality, because it influences how the world reacts and how you react to the world. Take your entire world and wrap it with a set of beliefs, assumptions, and practices that provide meaning, and you have your spirituality.

Now, exactly how does being gay influence our spirituality? I don't know. I've never lived in a world where the people around me think I'm less than human because of who I am. I imagine compassion and forgiveness for the bullys of the world would come a bit harder to me.

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I imagine being gay could effect your spirituality (i.e. ability to let go in the present, drop view etc.) if being gay is a problem for you, and there is an inability to stop dwelling on being gay, and just be . Maybe it depends where you live, and your families attitudes, and other factors? Where being gay is "normative" (here gay marriage is normal for instance) and no one gives it much thought, being gay would not be reflected back at you all the time because for most people it is a non-issue. But, even in the progressive societies the normal-ness of being gay is a new social reality.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Whatever the attribute, if this is the attribute-farm you're actually on, praise or blame, whining or extolling, dissecting or explaining the farm doesn't accomplish much. Whatever farm your stuck with, well, after you get over the praise and blame, better and worse of it all ... doesn't everyone assess the environment carefully and then do their best to grow something nourishing?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited March 2012

i completely agree....
    'hetero-normative' make one think that anything outside 'hetero' isn't - 'normal'.

I like the term heteronormative, but I get your point. I suppose I think of it more as heterosexuality is the 'norm'/typical in the way that it is the 'majority'. In my mind anyways, heteronormative takes on the impression of the typical heterosexual lifestyle of marrying, having kids, etc (the nuclear family and all that), not just someone who has sex with the opposite sex. But I'm not sure if this is just me, I just looked it up and it seems it was coined by fundamentalists. Now that I think about it, I should probably stop using the term because I typically hear it used with a bit of tongue in cheek, as if to imply that heteronormative is boring/lame... almost insulting, like breeder. Eep.

I don't have time to watch a video though. I wish the OP would post a summary of his point. I hope it's not that being gay has an adverse affect on spirituality, because if so, that's actually a result of societal issues thrust upon homosexuals... not the homosexuality itself. In parallel, I watched an interesting documentary on gender the other night that talked about how we think of gender roles/traits as nature, but they do change from society to society. But regardless of the differences, each society tends to think of them as 'natural' and 'normal' even though they are culture born.

I like when people say things like, "Who wants to be gay!? Look how hard it is! Look how much gay people suffer!" My response is, "Exactly! Who would want to be gay!? Look how messed up people like you make it for us!" hehe.

Oh, and I wanted to add that the way that being gay influenced my spirituality is that if I wasn't gay... I would probably have a higher probability of still being Christian. Maybe. It's hard to say, because I'm a pretty skeptical person in general, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the whole "you're an aberration/going to burn in hell for eternity" thing that really pushed me to look elsewhere.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I guess being gay affects our spirituality as much as being straight does. Being spiritual (to me) means working with mind. The word spiritual comes from 'spiritus' which was Latin for 'breath'; it was the difference between dead things and sentient beings - i.e. the consciousness or mind.

So being spiritual means working with the mind; changing old negative behaviours and attitudes into new positive behaviours and attitudes.

And being 'gay' is not a definition of a multi faceted human being; and has as much to do with 'being spiritual' as anything else to do with what we crave and desire. Why do we pole vault over mouse turds sometimes?
  • Why would your sexual preference affect your spirituality?
    Because of the treatment meted out by those purporting to represent that particular branch of 'spirituality'.
    It's hard to devote a life to a God, whose followers would gladly see you stoned to death...
  • edited March 2012
    Why would your sexual preference affect your spirituality?*
    Because of the treatment meted out by those purporting to represent that particular branch of 'spirituality'.
    It's hard to devote a life to a God, whose followers would gladly see you stoned to death...
    *as a Buddhist.
    Sorry, that's what I meant. How would being gay affect your Buddhist practice?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Why would your sexual preference affect your spirituality?*
    *as a Buddhist.
    Sorry, that's what I meant. How would being gay affect your Buddhist practice?
    Every significant thing about us affects the way we look at the world and gives us different perspectives. Therefore, in some ways, I suspect it influences our spiritual viewpoint.

I always thought Buddhism meant 'your life' -- not just some goody-two-shoes or nasty-nellie segment of your life, but your whole life. How could any aspect of your life not affect what is roughly called you 'spiritual life?'

Gautama was reported to have said once (approximately): "Better your own truth, however weak, than the truth of another, however noble." If I read that right, it does not mean trying to be gooder-than-good; it just means being yourself and working from there.
  • I feel sometimes Buddhism is over-discussed. But I guess that's what a 'discussion' forum on Buddhism is for right? :)
    Well, i guess so.....
    I feel sometimes Buddhism is over-discussed. But I guess that's what a 'discussion' forum on Buddhism is for right? :)
    It's like watching TV ... you just do it until you bore yourself stupid and then find something more constructive to do.

edited March 2012
    I feel sometimes Buddhism is over-discussed. But I guess that's what a 'discussion' forum on Buddhism is for right? :)
    Maybe that means you feel like you have thought about Buddhism enough to just practice, without trying to get it right, or get some kind of complete picture, chanratt?

That's good news. It means you can just sit as-is, maybe even sit as-is with other people? Sit a lot. Then come to the forum for fun, and sharing life stuff?

• yeah. I feel the more I read the more entangled I become. I have simplified things and now sit a lot longer than i used to
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

i completely agree....

I just used "hetero-normative" because it's a word that is used a lot in sociology (my university major), so I'm sort of used to it. It does sort of give off that vibe, didn't think about that. But it's not how I meant it.

Oh, and I wanted to add that the way that being gay influenced my spirituality is that if I wasn't gay... I would probably have a higher probability of still being Christian. Maybe. It's hard to say, because I'm a pretty skeptical person in general, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the whole "you're an aberration/going to burn in hell for eternity" thing that really pushed me to look elsewhere.
    I think these answers can explain how homosexuality affects one's choice in spiritual path, but I'm not sure that's the same as how one approaches spirituality. What I mean is: how does one's sexual preference affect the way one carries out/interprets spiritual practice? Does one's sexuality have any bearing on prayer/meditation/veneration/interpretation of spiritual experiences?
  • edited March 2012

I just used "hetero-normative" because it's a word that is used a lot in sociology (my university major), so I'm sort of used to it. It does sort of give off that vibe, didn't think about that. But it's not how I meant it.
    The 'normative' part of hetero-normative means 'what is expected of society'. For instance, we could say that it is normative for boys to play with toy cars and for girls to play with dolls. It doesn't mean we approve of that idea, it simply acknowledges that that is the expectation of our society.

So in Western society, it is 'normative' (ie expected) that a person is heterosexual. This is very clear when you're gay, like me, and you mention having a partner and people immediately say "What does he do". Because people assume my partner must be male simply because I'm female.

Hetero-normativism is different to homophobia because the people who make these assumptions may not be prejudiced in any way. But the argument goes that nevertheless, it produces a subtle pressure on sexual minorities to not be themselves. Even if no one had ever explicitly told you "Being gay is wrong", the very fact that everyone assumes you are heterosexual may suggest to you that it is wrong.

Really what it's about is learning to be open-minded about other people's perspectives on life, and realising how even unconsciously, we could be oppressing another person. It doesn't really bother me that much that people assume if I have a partner, they'd be male, but it does slightly irritate me that it doesn't even occur to people that not all families are based on heterosexual relationships.

I used to work with a young guy from Romania, a really nice, quiet, good-looking lad.... we'd worked together for a while, and just chatting, because no mention had ever been made of a relationship, I asked him whether he had a girlfriend or boyfriend....
    The question took him aback...

"nobody's ever asked me that, in that way before," he smiled, surprised. But he hadn't taken offence... his next comment was a bit sad....
    "If I was gay, would you judge me?"
    "On what grounds?" I replied, "no... why would I...?"

he never did tell me about his status - and it was none of my business anyway, but he was perceptibly more relaxed in my company after that....
    edited March 2012
    I know this may sound rich to gay folks. But given that as little as 30 years ago telling your parents you were gay was like telling them you were a pedophile. ... and being gay was commonly seen as abhorrent and unnatural, the passive hetro-normativism of today is progress. I feel bad when gay friends lay into some old person who lived in a different world for being homophobic. To that person, he/she in not homophobic... the concept doesn't even exist. Also, considering that in many places in the world being gay can get you officially or unofficially killed, the naive hetero-normativism in a cosmopolitan western culture in 2012 is a boutique problem. Things have come a long way, and will continue in the same direction...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I know this may sound rich to gay folks. But given that as little as 30 years ago telling your parents you were gay was like telling them you were a pedophile. ... and being gay was commonly seen as abhorrent and unnatural, the passive hetro-normativism of today is progress. I feel bad when gay friends lay into some old person who lived in a different world for being homophobic. To that person, he/she in not homophobic... the concept doesn't even exist. Also, considering that in many places in the world being gay can get you officially or unofficially killed, the naive hetero-normativism in a cosmopolitan western culture in 2012 is a boutique problem. Things have come a long way, and will continue in the same direction...
    Well stated.

It very much reminds me of the elderly neighbors here in Colorado Springs. I'm 62 and lived in the suburbs of D.C. for most of my adult life, and so in terms of talking to or about "Black" people, I would use terms such as "Black" or "African-American". Here my elderly neighbors (77-82) are still using terms such as "colored" or "Negroes", and they are doing so because they think that is showing respect.

It is amazing how fast the attitudes here in the US are changing toward gay people. Even 5 years ago I wouldn't have thought gay marriage would have been legalized at this point in time in so many states.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I think these answers can explain how homosexuality affects one's choice in spiritual path, but I'm not sure that's the same as how one approaches spirituality. What I mean is: how does one's sexual preference affect the way one carries out/interprets spiritual practice? Does one's sexuality have any bearing on prayer/meditation/veneration/interpretation of spiritual experiences?
    Oh, well in that case... none whatsoever.

@Ada_B Well said!

@RichardH I watch a lot of documentaries on the lives of gays of the past and find this sort of topic very interesting... and sad. But mostly, it makes me feel so lucky to live in this time. Within my short life, I have seen the first woman come out nationally on a television program (Ellen Degeneres), the first completely gay show (Queer as Folk), the first completely lesbian show (The L Word)... and since then... we are everywhere in the media. It's amazing. I think I grew up right on the cusp of change so I was able to see things before, and now, I really do think we have come so far. Hillary Clinton's speech to the UN about protection for homosexuals as "human rights" made me cry.

But on the topic of old people, man, my grandma tries so hard. She is so great, but she's still confused and refuses to call my girlfriend anything but my "friend". But she still won't let her out of her house without a hug and that's what matters to me.

• But on the topic of old people, man, my grandma tries so hard. She is so great, but she's still confused and refuses to call my girlfriend anything but my "friend". But she still won't let her out of her house without a hug and that's what matters to me.

:)