Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Men's thoughts about sex may not be as frequent as we think

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
Men think about sex, but not nearly as often as most people may believe, a study finds. They also think a lot about food and sleep, too.

The study, published in the January 2012 issue of the Journal of Sex Research, could debunk the stereotype that men are constantly thinking about sex. An often repeated statistic is that men think about sex once every seven seconds.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/02/news/la-heb-men-thoughts-sex-20111202

Comments

• I'm 27 and have pretty raging hormones and even I don't think about sex every seven seconds. Surprisingly, I have some complex, interesting and funny thoughts too, although I suppose that would make me a human being and not the idiot creature our culture wants me to be. Because then if I think about more than sex, food and sleep, I might also have morals and think with a conscience and therefore for be capable of not killing, maiming, torturing and harassing or raping women.
  • I never quite understood where this whole thing came from to be honest. I know of a guy who I use to live with who was a nympho, he thought and talked about sex a whole lot, but I can safely say that it takes up quite a small proportion of my thinking from day to day. I obviously cannot comment on anybody else or what is normal for a young male, but I can't see that guys on average think about sex anywhere near what people think as a common assumption.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Shit, I could of told you that. I have a very healthy young sex drive, And while sexual thoughts enter my head every now and then it certainly isn't every seven goddamned seconds. We think about more than food and sleep as well, obviously. These are all base instincts (food, sleep, sex, etc) but they stem from your animal brain. What occupies my thoughts most of the time is "where am I going in life" "How am I going to get there" "What will I need to sacrifice along the way" amongst other things.

Bet you a gentlemans bet that a woman came up with the "sex every seven seconds" statistic.
  • edited March 2012
  • Ohhhh, dangerous ground darling! ;)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Men think about sex, but not nearly as often as most people may believe, a study finds.
    Yes. We also think about food and football.

:o
  • Perhaps a teenage boy would think more about sex, no?

• I wonder how often women think of it....maybe it depends on how much of it you're having... my Colombian friends who are happily married say that sex is probably top 5 on their list of importance. More important than financial stability. . . They come from a Latin American culture and I do believe them. Latin American men are oversexed and over stimulated by the media and a chauvinist culture.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I likey!:)