Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Little Rituals

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Does anyone have any little rituals before meditation? Or maybe even ornate rituals?

What effect does a ritual have on meditation?

Right now, I don't do a lot. I usually (but not always) light some incense, make a nice bow to my wall before setting out my zafu, climb on the zafu and do three bends to the right/left before aligning at center, take 3 deep and slow inhales/exhales to ready my lungs... and go. I probably do some stretches before all of this as well just to loosen up a little.

I don't think this is very much considering I started in the Nichiren tradition. Morning and night, I used to: light incense, get out the juzu(mala), open my butsudan, ring the bell and chant 'Nam-myoho-renge-kyo' three times, chant NMRK three more times and offer the first silent prayer, recite the "Expedient Means" chapter of the Lotus Sutra, sound the bell, recite the "Life Span" chapter of the Lotus Sutra, sound the bell and chant to your heart's content, then when finished, offer the second, third, and fourth silent prayers (chanting NMRK after each and sounding the bell during certain points such as the prayers for deceased relatives).

That suddenly sounds like a lot. Anybody have any complicated rituals they've left behind?

Comments

• I have a rin gong that I sound before I start meditating. I also do some brief yoga "warmup" exercises before sitting.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    i say follwing in mind (anybody can say)

'namo tassa bagavato arahato samma-sambuddhassa' 3 times

'buddham, dhammam, sangham namassami' once

ask forgiveness for wrong thoughts/words/deeds i have done for the

Buddha/Dhamma/Sangha because of my ignorance

ask help from Buddha/dhamma/sangha, from all Right-viewed Devas, from effect of my own dkillful deed/word/thought i have done in the past to be successful in my meditation

when i finish the above my mind will 'sort of' settles for meditation
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I light a candle and do one circuit around a mala with a mantra, then settle into meditation. Upon completion I once again make my refuge vows.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    A student once caught my Zen teacher's teacher bowing to a statue of Buddha. The student criticized him: "How can you bow to a statue. It would be better to spit." And Soen Nakagawa replied with a smile, "Very good. You spit. I bow."

Buddhism as ritual -- whether private or public -- is just advertising, a way of settling attention on the practice at hand. The same might be said for Buddhism as a whole. First the advertisement -- often very colorful, stylized or fashionable -- and then the question: "Advertising for what?"

And at that point, practice can become pretty useful.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Meditation is an important practice I intent to learn soon.