Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The dinner/yummy meal thread

AMHAMH
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
We were going to start this, I can't recall if we did.

Tonight we had salmon with avacado salsa, asparagus and rice. I think I have posted this meal before. And since I have any sweets shortly after protein I am having a little ice cream now.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    No, we didn't officially start a thread. But we did have this meal. I rushed out and bought some ginger after it was posted, for my asparagus. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I had steamed/sauteed mushroom, broccoli, onion, and asparagus over garlic rice. My girlfriend fried up some steak separately and added it into hers.

Right now I'm having some vegetarian chili. It came from a can, I can't seem to make GOOD veg chili on my own, not sure why. If anyone has any good recipes, I'm all ears.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I had fried rice using day-old white basmati rice, minced firm tofu, broccoli, ginger, cilantro, one egg, and sesame oil. On the side was bean sprouts, stir-fried cabbage, and some fried white fish (basa I think) from a take-out place.
  • I will be having this shortly
    Homemade guacamole salad
    3 mushroom (field,portobello and shitaki )quiche and brocolli with pine nuts and butter
    strawberries,grapes and greek yoghurt
    coffee and raisin,cranberry,coconut and hazelnut wholemeal muffin
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I love asparagus, but I think salmon is over rated. Did you know asparagus makes your wee (urine) smell funny, however only one-in-four people can detect the odour change in their water?

That's statistic is pretty accurate too since I've just asked Mrs Tosh, my neighbours, work colleagues and people in the street, and yes, only one-in-four notice any detectable difference in their wee after consuming asparagus.
  • Okay this is not my healthy food but I just made Danish pastry for an International Night with a school. It is a cold dough you start the night before, let it rest and then fill and bake the next day. This time I had a few days between the steps but the dough was in the fridge and it turned out okay. We made apple, apricot and prune. My daughter even learned how to roll the dough out to paper thin and fill and fold it properly. Think of those long rectangle of filled pastries and that is what it looks like. We make a tiny bit healthier by not adding sugar to the filling and the frosting is cream cheese with some powdered sugar blended in.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I love asparagus, but I think salmon is over rated. Did you know asparagus makes your wee (urine) smell funny, however only one-in-four people can detect the odour change in their water?

That's statistic is pretty accurate too since I've just asked Mrs Tosh, my neighbours, work colleagues and people in the street, and yes, only one-in-four notice any detectable difference in their wee after consuming asparagus.
    Thank you, Tosh, for this charming dinner-time topic of conversation. :rolleyes:

It's the high concentration of folic acid/folate in asparagus, I think.
  • My wife makes an incredible salmon, bok choy and shiitake mushroom dish... can't wait for her to get back from her deployment :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @Tosh you seem like a riot irl. :)

@Invincible_summer I know it's not healthy... but I love fried rice. Sometimes I make rice, just so that I can use it later for fried rice. Kimchee fried rice is my FAVORITE. Great way to get rid of old soggy kimchee too. I have both of those things at the present, but I have to work tonight, so it's best not to eat kimchee. I honestly can't smell it, but my girlfriend insists it makes me smell like a giant garlic bomb. Haha.

Alright guys... you've convinced me... Out with the white, in with the brown... What is everyone's favorite type of brown rice?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    My wife makes an incredible salmon, bok choy and shiitake mushroom dish... can't wait for her to get back from her deployment :)
    TELLY! When she gets back, please post her recipe!

• Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited April 2012
    My wife makes an incredible salmon, bok choy and shiitake mushroom dish... can't wait for her to get back from her deployment :)
    TELLY! When she gets back, please post her recipe!

I remembered she found this while she was in her Nigella Lawson kick... so I searched and found it. Enjoy, I'm sure you will love it :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/salmon-with-greens-and-shiitake-mushrooms-recipe/index.html

All the locals here swear by Kikkoman Soy Sauce... if you don't already have a pref
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    So simple, yet so delicious! It seems like the best food is the simplest to cook.

That Telly--he may be conservative as all get-out, but he really comes through on the important stuff. ;)

• That Telly--he may be conservative as all get-out
    LOL , only compared to where you stand ;) but thanks :)

• Oh, and when you serve this @Dakini , just pile the bok choy and mushrooms on top of the fillet, it all mixes together wonderfully
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @telly03 just do what my husband did... he forced me to write down all my recipes in case I die... i'm not joking... it took me a few months since most are done by hand...such as my loaf bread but..now he can sucessfully replace me but by chance we divorce... i'm taking them with me! JK...new wife can have them! I wont be so mean...

i want that salmon recipe!!! i want you to email her tonight!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Tonight, sweet and sour pork Thai style, with half sugar/half Spenda.
  • plain white rice, beef bits and brocoli in a sweet and sour ginger sauce... vegetable eggrolls and green ice tea.
  • Tonight, sweet and sour pork Thai style, with half sugar/half Spenda.
    i miss pork.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Tosh you seem like a riot irl. :)

@Invincible_summer I know it's not healthy... but I love fried rice. Sometimes I make rice, just so that I can use it later for fried rice. Kimchee fried rice is my FAVORITE. Great way to get rid of old soggy kimchee too. I have both of those things at the present, but I have to work tonight, so it's best not to eat kimchee. I honestly can't smell it, but my girlfriend insists it makes me smell like a giant garlic bomb. Haha.

Alright guys... you've convinced me... Out with the white, in with the brown... What is everyone's favorite type of brown rice?
    Fried rice isn't too bad for you, esp if you make it yourself. You don't have to use too much oil or fry it for too long.
  • I made lentil soup last nite. Simple recipe: Boil broth of your choice, start cooking the lentils in it. Dice some onion and carrots, mince some garlic. Brown the onions, carrots and garlic in a pan with a little salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper. Add onions, carrots and garlic into the pot of lentils and water. Add any other veggies you want (peas and celery are good). Simmer on low for 40 minutes or until carrots are soft.
  • It all sounds tasty. I make lentil soup and start with the onions and garlic with cumin and chili powder and a touch of cayenne, sounds like the same good recipe. I also put very finely chopped celery with the finely diced carrots when doing the onions and spices.

Tonight I rememberd a recipe that is very tasty from a Russian family I babysat for. It is french style green beans (canned and drained), walnuts, cilantro, mayonnaise and a little soy sauce. I am going to make it to bring for lunch this week, sorry no amounts in the recipe
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Last night was a good occasion for us,
    Last night, for the first time in 7 months we were able to afford a take-away.
    We had Indian food - and it was so nice! such a treat!!
    Won't be able to do that again for a while, but it was a great luxury, and we sooo enjoyed it!!
  • YEAH! I am glad because I love Indian food and because of whatever happened that you had enough money.