Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Majority of Americans Delusional, Pretty Sure They’ll Never Die!

Comments

• LMAO "I am invinsible!" What people like that need is a good dose of the dharma twice a day.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    LMAO "I am invinsible!" What people like that need is a good dose of the dharma twice a day.
    HEHE!:0
  • I think it was Borris who said it the best, from the movie golden eye. That crazy russian with his exploding pen was not invinsible lol.
    I think it was Borris who said it the best, from the movie golden eye. That crazy russian with his exploding pen was not invinsible lol.
    Lol!
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, add me in. I'm pretty delusional about health. Then I met a ten year old with terminal leukodysthrophy and he blew me away!

Sorry, I'm in a mood. Americans are not used to seeing death and it's almost taboo to talk about it. What is it like in the UK?
  • In the UK, well I speak from my farious circles of friends I had throughout the years, I would say we laugh and make jokes about death. The British humour tends to be either sarcastic/dry or quite dark. It is quite different to the American humour. I guess when Federica wakes her lazy arse up she can add her opinons :P No offense federica, brit humour :D

But going back to the main topic, I think it is important to be mindful that when things are running smoothly, totally perfect in your eyes, that too will change. When things are at rock bottom and there seems no way out, that too will change.
    In the UK, well I speak from my farious circles of friends I had throughout the years, I would say we laugh and make jokes about death. The British humour tends to be either sarcastic/dry or quite dark. It is quite different to the American humour. I guess when Federica wakes her lazy arse up she can add her opinons :P No offense federica, brit humour :D

But going back to the main topic, I think it is important to be mindful that when things are running smoothly, totally perfect in your eyes, that too will change. When things are at rock bottom and there seems no way out, that too will change.
    I needed to hear the last sentence! Thanks!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    And then there's me... on the other side of the spectrum... as a hypochondriac. I could use a little of their unrealistic expectations. Ho hum.
  • And then there's me... on the other side of the spectrum... as a hypochondriac. I could use a little of their unrealistic expectations. Ho hum.
    I use to be a hypochondriac, I think you may know this already. I don't know how or why, but it has gone now. I just push the thoughts to the back of my mind, but it was replaced with social anxiety and I don't know which one I consider to be worse.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I guess when Federica wakes her lazy arse up she can add her opinons :P No offense federica, brit humour :D
    Federica's lazy arse has been up since 06.00 but she's had other things to do...:D

People tend to be divided in the UK - either it's something they don't want to talk about at all - or it's something they're very matter-of-fact about.
    People who have witnessed the death of a close and much-loved person fall into the latter camp... they generally tend to be older, and more philosophical about Life, seizing the day and enjoying the moment.

The young believe themselves to be immortal, untouchable and everlasting....
    It comes as a huge shock to them when they come close to, or are touched by death....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Not so sure this survey shows that americans dont think they will die - just that they have probably an overly optimistic outlook on serious illness / accident - most people know they will die but they havent thought about how this may happen or what it will mean for them and for others around them and nor how this affects their day to day living - not sure that its much different in the UK though I havent seen a survey on it..
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I would rephrase that statement and replace the word "Americans" with "Human beings" :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I would rephrase that statement and replace the word "Americans" with "Human beings" :)
    No, @seeker242, I disagree.
    The article is quite specific about those polled - and they are quite clearly Americans.
    Your issue should be with the article, not Leon's wording.

I do however agree, that this probably is representative of an awful lot of people in the West...though not all human beings hold this view.
    I don't.
    Many people who live in the East, or the Orient, are far more connected to the concept of dying and are comfortable with it, or have come to terms with it, than those in the West.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    All you can say to that majority that believes they will never die is ... tell me about it after you have joined the majority.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The problem with Leon's wording is that his "headline" is totally wrong. The article doesn't say that Americans don't think they're going to die. It says they don't think they're going to contract some serious illness (such as cancer). Most apparently think they will die in their sleep, or something of the sort.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I've tried to discuss death with a wide variety of people - sure people dont generally think about it - the fear itself or the denial I first considered to be a fear of death as an event - but the more I have posed the quandary, the more it seems that people fear a painful or protracted death (mostly involving extreme loss in gradual heartbreaking stages)... the actual thought of death itself is removed from the images of seemingly undesireable ways of dying... death in your sleep must surely be a priceless blessing...
  • 3 points I'd like to make here:

1. Life is a lot better than it was. You're much more likely to miss your creature comforts and parties and marriages and families and cars and ice cream, than to miss being hunted by sabre tooth tigers, rooting for bitter tasting berries everyday and surviving brutal winters without any central heating.

2. People should not have to suffer the humiliation, indignity, loss of mind and bodily function that comes about with modern illness, while the lab techies sort out all the hidden nasties written in our genes.

3. Considering the fact we have such amazing medical science and an abundance of clean food, water and general sanitation a lot of people sure don't seem to take advantage of this, instead treating themselves (and each other) like crap. Mind you, why DO we want to live longer lives anyway?

4. My lovely cat died a natural death. I was unhappy that she was left on the floor staring at a wall, so I took her outside and put her on all fours. She took three steps then fell over. I then put her on a blanket looking out over the garden and covered the top with a deckchair because there was a light drizzle. Within an hour she had gone through 'the death rattle', puked up then perished. She looked a lot more like death when she was actually dying.

Shortly after a lovely peace came over her and she had that -contented cat asleep- look.
    edited April 2012
    ....I must confess, I actually initially read the title as follows:

"Majority of Americans Delusional, Pretty Sure They’ll Never DIET - !"
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ....I must confess, I actually initially read the title as follows:

"Majority of Americans Delusional, Pretty Sure They’ll Never DIET - !"
    Which brings up the interesting topic of intention!

:D
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    No, @seeker242, I disagree.
    The article is quite specific about those polled - and they are quite clearly Americans.
    Your issue should be with the article, not Leon's wording.

I do however agree, that this probably is representative of an awful lot of people in the West...though not all human beings hold this view.
    I don't.
    Many people who live in the East, or the Orient, are far more connected to the concept of dying and are comfortable with it, or have come to terms with it, than those in the West.

I was just saying that "I'll never die" is not an idea limited to Americans. Sigmund Freud also believe that people have this idea that "I won't ever die", and he was Austrian not American. :) Lots of people in Europe think this too, according to him. :)

sure... but @vinlyn nailed it... it seems he was paying close attention, because Leon's title is quite misleading with regard to article content....
  • Wait. What? What are you saying, that I'm likely to get old, sick, and DIE eventually? OMG!! What do I do???
    Simples:
    don't get old, don't get sick and don't die!

Oh, well done....

See?
    i told you it was simple!