Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is this a positive step...?

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited April 2012 in General Banter
I'm curious to learn your opinions...

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16206087

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I am tempted to say that just because there is one less idiot doesn't mean that all the idiots have left the building.

But of course I won't say that.
  • As a Brit living in Canada this interests me. The question is what side of me are you asking?

Are you asking my opion from a Political Science perspective, or my personal opinion :)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I like how genkaku put it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    As a Brit living in Canada this interests me. The question is what side of me are you asking?

Are you asking my opion from a Political Science perspective, or my personal opinion :)
    i'm not really concerned from which perspective you wish to reply from... I'm mindful of the ex-candidate's religious stance, and was wondering if his elimination makes people more - or less - uneasy....?

• edited April 2012
    Well from this side of the border, Canadians really have lost interest in the American election process, the complete futile political system they use have made Canadians uninterested as it ultimately will not affect us anymore than it has in the past. Yes, the Democrats reflect Canada's ethics and morals more accuratly than the Republican perspective, but overall Canadians and the Canadian government have and is continuously learning American does not "wear the pants" in the north American family anymore.

So overall here in Canada the census, is we don't care. Romney, or Obama, makes no difference. They will still try to push the American cultural machine on us, we will still let them belief they are succeeding. either way, no real change will be made, they could elect a turnip and it wouldn't matter, why? The political system is a system of balance and checks, which ultmatley will gridlock every single presidential executive that comes to power in the next 100 years. Until that changes, it really makes no difference who has the "title"
  • I would not have voted for him, but I don't think he's an idiot... he obviously had enough backing from Americans to make somewhat of a run out of it. If all those Americans are idiots, then so are all of us here. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, we just see things differently... I'm thankful we still have the option to vote.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Associatively, I thought the following interview with Carne Ross, former flak for British foreign affairs interests and a man who seems able to admit he made a major mistake by fronting for the war in Iraq was instructive. He's a dreamer, but he's no airhead and his dream seems to envision the implosion of government as it is currently exercised.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to get the click on the video picture here

PS. There is also this quasi tongue-in-cheek take on Republican-esque positions.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    As much as I don't like Mitt Romney, I REALLY don't like Santorum. As a woman... as a gay American... Mittens make me feel uneasy... Santorum makes me feel actual fear.

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. Does that undermine the fabric of our society? I would argue yes, it does. ... That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing."
    -Rick Santorum

"I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created - in the sense of rape - but nevertheless a gift in a broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given you. As you know, we have to, in lots of different aspects of our life. We have horrible things happen. I can't think of anything more horrible. But, nevertheless, we have to make the best out of a bad situation."
    -Rick Santorum
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

So overall here in Canada the census, is we don't care. Romney, or Obama, makes no difference. They will still try to push the American cultural machine on us, we will still let them belief they are succeeding.
    Uh, speak for yourself.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Nice to know we have a few Canucks on here. :)
  • I don't, I speak for the latest consesus of the Canadian population surveyed in the annual political review. American political interest and American politcs and election interest drops by an average of 11.6 to 12.6% every year across Canada.

<3
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I don't, I speak for the latest consesus of the Canadian population surveyed in the annual political review. American political interest and American politcs and election interest drops by an average of 11.6 to 12.6% every year across Canada.

<3</p>
    Going from 11.6% to 12.6% is an increase... unless you mean disinterest has went from 11.6 to 12.6%. Then it's still an increase, but it follows more with what you're trying to say.

But even census/survey data isn't reliable. Who did they survey? How many people? Was the sample really representative of a majority of Canadians? If they only asked 1000 people and most came from Manitoba or something, that's not a very good sample.

Although I think Canadians aren't keen on following every detail about American politics in general, I think that the outcome of a presidential election is pretty important to most Canadians.

Also, how are Canadians "allowing [Americans] to belief [sic] they are succeeding" in pushing their "cultural machine?"

To stay on topic, however, I'm glad that Santorum is officially out of the race (not that I thought he'd win anyway), but like @genkaku said, there will always be stupid bigots out there. I hope Santorum's campaign hasn't increased support for his 'values.'
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Nice to know we have a few Canucks on here. :)
    yeah...it's like an invasion of humble, industrious, beavers.... :D

It looked like it was going to be Romney for a while now.. Obama seems like a quiet back-channel, talk-turkey, reasonable person on the international scene.... That is pretty sane. I don't know what Romney would be like...but his much maligned etch-o-sketch valuelessness is actually reassuring.. He is less likely to see the world in terms of good and evil forces and go to war to enact God's will.. ... or so it seems to me.

Incidentally.... this week is the summit in Turkey re: Iran Nukes.. the outcome might be a big factor in the election... not sure exactly how..

• edited April 2012

Made me laugh out loud.... First time today :D:D
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I would say it's an expected step. There is no way that guy ever had anything close to a chance.
    don't know what Romney would be like...but his much maligned etch-o-sketch valuelessness is actually reassuring..
    Romney would be like a corporation running for president. Corporations are not known for their values, ha! They are interested in money and that's pretty much it. :)

• I was surprised to see federica start a thread and eager to find out what the video content was, waited for the advert and then it was politics :( So sorry, I do not have an opinion especially as it is American politics which I know little about. On a side note, is advertising in the USA really as bad as I have heard, on TV I mean?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ...is advertising in the USA really as bad as I have heard, on TV I mean?
    It depends on what you mean by bad. If you mean is it dull or boring...well, actually, I think a lot of commercials are rather clever. But there is so much advertising!!!!! As a result, I watch very little commercial television anymore, but I do enjoy movies on cable...oh, and a good boxing match on HBO once in a while.

• Ah yes I did not explain myself properly again, I mean by it being is MASS!! I heard that there is maybe 10 minutes of adverts per 10 minutes of a TV show lol..
    ^^ Not quite that bad, but pretty close to it.

I blame the "stars" who insist on such big bucks.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    at High Tea.

• When I was a kid on BB2 there was NO advertising becaue it was a government paid channel, now there is like 2-3 minutes between shows I think. Most UK channels have about 5-7 minutes every half an hour. Anyway, sorry for threadjacking.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    In Germany they save all the ads for the end of the hour. This shows a fundamental difference in assumption of what TV is for. In America, it's to sell product. In some other countries, it's for watching tasteful and intelligent entertainment. Kinda shows you where the corporations are more dominant.
  • In Germany they save all the ads for the end of the hour. This shows a fundamental difference in assumption of what TV is for. In America, it's to sell product. In some other countries, it's for watching tasteful and intelligent entertainment. Kinda shows you where the corporations are more dominant.
    I never knew that about Germany. Yea I guess it does. Maybe in China they have a 5 minute interval where they must stand to attention and chant or something, like in 1984 with the 2 minutes hate.
    edited April 2012
    In Germany they save all the ads for the end of the hour. This shows a fundamental difference in assumption of what TV is for. In America, it's to sell product. In some other countries, it's for watching tasteful and intelligent entertainment. Kinda shows you where the corporations are more dominant.
    I never knew that about Germany. Yea I guess it does. Maybe in China they have a 5 minute interval where they must stand to attention and chant or something, like in 1984 with the 2 minutes hate.
    I'm pretty sure ads are ads are ads, no matter what country you're looking at. The timing may be different, but they're used to sell products, no bones about it.

And China is more modern and less dystopian than people think.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    The point is that if you bunch all the ads together at the end of a show, people can leave to take a break, get a snack, whatever, during the 10-minute ad period. But if you intersperse the ads with show content every 10 minutes, you have a captive audience.
    The point is that if you bunch all the ads together at the end of a show, people can leave to take a break, get a snack, whatever, during the 10-minute ad period. But if you intersperse the ads with show content every 10 minutes, you have a captive audience.
    I get where you're coming from but most people I know use the commercial breaks to do whatever even if they're in between anyway.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me as if you're making an underlying assumption that a "captive audience" has no agency in interpreting the advertising they consume - the message is interpreted to them. However, I think that's not giving the audience the benefit of the doubt.

I get where you're coming from but most people I know use the commercial breaks to do whatever even if they're in between anyway.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me as if you're making an underlying assumption that a "captive audience" has no agency in interpreting the advertising they consume - the message is interpreted to them. However, I think that's not giving the audience the benefit of the doubt.

And we're not as captive as Dakini implies. I can still go to the john, get a snack, or even better, I DVR most of the shows I want to watch and then FF through the commercials.

• The point is that if you bunch all the ads together at the end of a show, people can leave to take a break, get a snack, whatever, during the 10-minute ad period. But if you intersperse the ads with show content every 10 minutes, you have a captive audience.

Yes of course you have the free-will to go and do what you wish in the breaks, but if they are so frequent people who are watching some of their favourite shows will want to be there on time, if the ads are at the end of the show, they can have more time to leave and forget about missing something. TV was coined to be the opium of the masses and it is true.

After studying advertising within graphic design at college/university, you can sit there and try to analyze the ad, but there are many techniques that will pass you by and trigger responses within you without you even knowing, that is why they are so clever because they do it stealth style. By the way, the China thign was a joke, I am quite aware how modernized it has become.
    TV was coined to be the opium of the masses and it is true.
    For sure - instead of getting angry at systems that oppress us, we get angry at what Pauly D did on Jersey Shore.

Well I don't... but yknow... other people who watch that show do.
    After studying advertising within graphic design at college/university, you can sit there and try to analyze the ad, but there are many techniques that will pass you by and trigger responses within you without you even knowing, that is why they are so clever because they do it stealth style.
    Yeah that's true, but I don't know many people who go out and buy items/favor items just because they were in an ad. They might recognize it more easily, but most people I know don't seem too affected.

Since you've got experience in graphic design/advertising, maybe you could tell me - is the point of advertising even to convince people to buy things? Or is that a misconception? Cuz like I said, it doesn't seem to work very well at doing that, at least within my social circles. Are there more sinister things at work?
    By the way, the China thign was a joke, I am quite aware how modernized it has become.
    Bah, sorry. You'd just be surprised at how some people automatically go "OMG CHINA IS COMMUNIST AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO EAT MORE THAN 2 MEALS A DAY OR YOU'LL BE EXECUTED" or whatever on the internet.

I should've given you the benefit of the doubt though :p
  • Chine itself is pretty much non-communist at heart now if you look at the society itself, but still classed as communist.

Anyway with the advertising, it does work on a large scale, if it didn't work then they would change their methods. Capitalism is the driving force of the western world, for it to work it needs products people want to buy, not just products they need but products they do not need. That is the art of it, you (the general usage of 'you') go out anf buy things that you do not need to stay alive. We are conditioned to think that is fine, that is how it always has been. The end result is people at the top getting rich and governments prospuring.

If you want to know the methods used, google things such as:

Advertisin and discourse of power
    Advertising and ideologies
    Advertising and colour connotations

I would also like to add that if there is a product beinf advertized that resembles change such as a product to make you healthier, they tend to use average-not attractive models, if the product is one that is desriable they will use attractive models. There is really a lot behind it once you start to dig. And of course, TV is only one of many ways to advertize.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It's not me, it's the advertising agencies and the corporations. They have psychologists develop the ads. But you're right, ideally everyone would be filtering not only the messages in the ads, but the show content as well--the stereotypes, and so forth.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

It was? Wasn't that religion?

• TV was coined to be the opium of the masses and it is true.

I cannot remember who, I think it was one person who quoted it actually, a philosopher. And by the way, they may get psycologists in for advertising, but in graphic design we get taught how to target people and how it all works anyway.

• TV was coined to be the opium of the masses and it is true.

I cannot remember who, I think it was one person who quoted it actually, a philosopher. And by the way, they may get psycologists in for advertising, but in graphic design we get taught how to target people and how it all works anyway.
    Wow I realize we're really off topic from the OP...
    Chine itself is pretty much non-communist at heart now if you look at the society itself, but still classed as communist.
    Yeah, I know. I'm not saying I think it's communist, but rather that other people seem to think they are this monolithic, totalitarian society that is bent on turning the world into an well-known Orwell novel.

Anyway with the advertising, it does work on a large scale, if it didn't work then they would change their methods. Capitalism is the driving force of the western world, for it to work it needs products people want to buy, not just products they need but products they do not need. That is the art of it, you (the general usage of 'you') go out anf buy things that you do not need to stay alive. We are conditioned to think that is fine, that is how it always has been. The end result is people at the top getting rich and governments prospuring.
    Yes, that's how advertising works on a large scale, but I guess I was wondering if advertisements work more on a micro level . Sure, the sum of billboards, tv spots, radio ads, etc let us know that we should be buying more to be "happy," but for example, is there data that shows that a 30-second ad for Coca-Cola actually makes people go out and buy Coca-Cola?

Are certain media more effective than others for delivering ads?

If you want to know the methods used, google things such as:

Advertisin and discourse of power
    Advertising and ideologies
    Advertising and colour connotations
    The first two I more or less studied in sociology (although probably in a bit less detail), but the last one sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks!
    And by the way, they may get psycologists in for advertising, but in graphic design we get taught how to target people and how it all works anyway.
    I know lots of sociology students who go into marketing too. Since we study a lot of demographic info and social norms/trends, we'd be good at it I think. However, most sociology departments are pretty left-wing, so it's almost like betraying your teacher, Anakin Skywalker-style.
  • I studied sociology at A level (college) along with geography and English for 1 year, before changing to graphic design/photography for two years. I cannot remember too much from sociology because our teacher taught us in a very poor manner IMO and many of the others. We were all in fact copying machines, the guy wrote all of these names, dates and theories down on the board, we copied, then he would rub it all out and then keep writing for about 95% of the time. I remember about marxists, social labels within a social group, and idealogies, but that is about it.

I will look and do some research if I can find any good articles on data related to advertising, maybe we should start another thread because this is unfair and I am sorry @federica. I will finish this post and then make another thread.

I will also get some info on colour connotations as that is actually very important when it comes to advertising, it is one of those tactics which people rarely ever notice. This is mainly because we have been conditioned over time to relate certain emotions to colours or colour groups. One of the key aspects of targeting people is getting to their emotions, so this is quite powerful if used correctly.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I actually work in the advertising industry, television commercials on cable channels, to be exact. I'm in the engineering department supporting the sales force and production department. Our industry loves political battles and election season, the messier the better.

Here in the heartland, it's been common wisdom that the circus called the Republican Primary was just going through the motions. The only question was, is the far right that controls the party crazy enough to think someone with extreme views like Santorum had a chance? The fact that he was trotted out in the first place and they all pretended like his views were somehow mainstream is worrying.
    The only question was, is the far right that controls the party crazy enough to think someone with extreme views like Santorum had a chance? The fact that he was trotted out in the first place and they all pretended like his views were somehow mainstream is worrying.
    Yeah, exactly! It's almost like they were testing out his popularity to see if their far-right ideology would fly in the country. Given that he's just backed out now, perhaps they weren't completely wrong. Ugh.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

It was Karl Marx, speaking about religion. Mao followed that up with: "Religion is poison."