Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Westboro Baptist Church

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Today
Everyone,
I was shown this video clip yesterday and first of all I was speechless. I did an internet search on Westboro Baptist Church and I was just wanting to get everybody's feedback on this craziness (in my opinion). I'm not a christian, but I feel that it's people like this (who claim to be christian) that give the rest really bad names.

http://www.exposetheleft.com/2006/04/19/phelps-troop-hating/

-Dawn

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    The term 'Wolves in sheep's clothing' springs to mind...

Rabid, demented, dangerous and threatening wolves, mind.....

Good grief. Further words fail me.
  • edited April 2006
    Scary thing - I have to put up with people filled with this much hate (allbeit towards other, less contreversial things) on another forum I go to. I am in the process of learning to not lose it over things like this, and to be a calmer person overall - people like this make it very hard for me to learn.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    1. nutbags.

2. Gregc why bother with the other forum?

Cheers,

X
  • edited May 2006
    answer to #2 - I have no clue. Something just keeps pulling me back there, but I've learned to ignore the worst stuff, I chill with another "intellectual" there, one that stays "behind the scenes" and we're both into the same stuff. It's the only good conversation I have there.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I don't remember exactly where I heard or read this, but I believe that Fred Phelps (their minister) was disbarred as an attorney for 'misrepresenting the truth'. Looks like he's still at the same occupation even though he's a minister now.

Westboro Baptist Church is a disgusting organization which seems to have left the Christ out of Christianity. I've done a bit of research on them, and boy they're just full of venom.

_/\_
    metta
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    :eekblue:
    That made really bad chills go through me.

Disturbing on so many levels.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    They may indeed be nutbags, but their power is growing. Just check out the New York Times magazine Sunday on the nutbag Christian Right's efforts to ban contraceptives worldwide and how they're succeeding brilliantly. Their reasoning? It's "evil" to have sex without intending to procreate! I know personally because just before I left Mongolia last summer I met a couple of nice women who were there to do AIDS education for WHO (or something like that, I forget). However, since they received funding from the US Government, they were banned from even mentioning the use of condoms! Here we go fans, right back to the Dark Ages! Would you like a cocktail with that thumbscrew, sir?

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    It is scary.

And no thank you. I just had a "sizzling flesh on hot iron" for an appetizer.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    My local Bish offered me the rack (kind of him, as I'm under five foot) but I turned it down for aesthetic reasons.....

The Pope is as guilty...The Vatican exhorts and promotes many ways to avoid HIV and AIDS...It has a huge leaflet or pamphlet on different means....
    The condom is conspicuous by its absence....

If these missionaries were Catholic, I apologise for the repetition...If not...The "problem" is worse than we thought.....
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Love the new avatar, Federica, you wise owl you!

I just hate stupidity (Love some silliness, though.).

"Ah, the mystery of iniquity." (St. Paul)
    edited May 2006
    For reasons best known to himself, Nick (my S/O) began calling me 'Bubo'....

The owl from 'Clash of the Titans' (for anyone who doesn't know....But I doubt there are many!)

So I found the Avatar.....

Still fond of the luscious lips though....

Might swap from one to the other....at random....confuse the jeebies out of you all...!!

(Sorry.... :grumble:

Back ON TOPIC....) :grin:
    edited May 2006
    I just bought that vid for my son.

It's a new, good name for you, Bubba... Bambi...BaddaBing...oh!, whatever your new name is.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    May all beings abide in equanimity, free from attachment, aversion and ignorance.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    For reasons best known to himself, Nick (my S/O) began calling me 'Bubo'....

The owl from 'Clash of the Titans' (for anyone who doesn't know....But I doubt there are many!)

So I found the Avatar.....

Still fond of the luscious lips though....

Might swap from one to the other....at random....confuse the jeebies out of you all...!!

(Sorry.... :grumble:

Back ON TOPIC....) :grin:

Dear federica,

I am truly sorry for you federica, but your So's attempt to cover up the use of the word Bubo has me greatly concerned.:wtf:

A Buboe is a boil or large swelling that grows on the bodies of sufferers of the Bubonic Plague! I hope there has not been any swellings on your body of late as he may be "having a joke at your expense"

(maybe you had better check yourself for swelling?) teehee.:-/

Concerned Xrayman.:buck:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    No, Xrayman, it's even worse than the bubonic plague! Bubo was one of the cheesiest special effects ever to hit the silver screen, so to be named after it is truly a fate worse than death (even by the plague)!

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2006
    :rarr: Seriously, there isn't a smilies strong enough to convey how I feel about these people. They should be exiled to N Korea. Let's see how they feel about US troops then. :rarr::usflag:
  • edited May 2006
    I regularly participate at another disturbing website, Theology Online. Many of the members follow a pastor named Bob Enyart, who openly calls for the reinstitution of Old Testament style punishments for many "moral crimes" -- homosexuality, adultery, etc. These things, in his view, should be punishable by death, with a very short period between the trial and the execution. Many members are "theonomists," meaning they would support the return of a more theocratic government to the U.S., if our present government just happened to fall.
  • edited May 2006
    I have a tear come to my eye when I hear of people such as these, ones on a darkened path, lighted by their negativity, following false truth they have made themselves believe, which will only take them under. There is no need to hate these people, nor is there no need to help guide them, for this tells us truly who are the strong and who are the weak. Let them be in their deeds, there time will come one day.

with love,
    Wes.
  • edited May 2006
    eeeh.. i dunno what to do with them...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Ain't it the pits! We win a war against a fanatical tyrant who suppresses free speech, murders millions invades his neighbours and preaches a doctrine of hate - and fifty years later there are some people who want to invite the same monster into our own living rooms.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited June 2006
    For another interesting look at the A.C. (antichrist) Fred Phelps, please go to www.godhatesfags.com ! I felt so loved and cared for. I was ready to leave Mike and join them on the street corner. Then I realized I hadn't had a lobotomy like those people.

Actually, the ones that are scarier are groups under the Exodus International umbrella. They claim to love you and want to help you "out of homosexuality". One of their ministries got me for 10 grand many years ago. I've since let this particular ministry know I have no desire to have any contact with them and any statemtents I made for their groups I will be glad to retract publicly. It's tough when someone says they love you and then when you don't do what they think you should, you are kicked to the curb.
    edited June 2006
    I thought "old testament" teachings were done away with because of "grace" - because of what Jesus did and sacrificed. New Testament teachings do away with "being under the law" and that "grace" had extended to even allow Gentiles to be saved.

I also thought about this and I will say no more...
    One or the greatest love stories in the Bible continues to pass right by most biblical students and scholars, not because of its obscurity or because of language problems, but because they don't WANT to see it. Most people refuse to see the warm, romantic aspects or the relationship between the two righteous young warriors Jonathan, son of King Saul, and David, the mighty youth who slew Goliath and was personally hand-picked by the Lord to become Israel's greatest king. To acknowledge the true and obvious facts of this loving relationship would force theologians, scholars, students and Church leaders to either condemn the Bible's greatest hero or accept not only the possibility, but the probability that homosexuality is not, in and of itself, any more a sin than is heterosexuality in the sight of the Lord.

The "special" relationship between princely Jonathan and young David is first mentioned in 1 Samuel 18:1: "And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul." While this introduction certainly does not suggest anything more than sincere friendship and brotherly love, the closeness of the friendship certainly suggests an interweaving of personal feelings and emotions that is unusual for a first meeting of two young soldiers.

Verse 3 is a little more revealing, as the two young men make a covenant with each other. Covenants, in biblical times, were generally made only with the Lord or his servants. Most other covenants are between individuals and the Lord. Jonathan and David included the Lord in their covenant, as mentioned in 1 Sam 20:16-17, 23 and 42. While not suggesting that their covenant was a marriage covenant, we are told that the reason for the sacred pact between the two single young men was "... because he loved him as his own soul." (1 Sam 18:3) Again, in Chapter 20, verse 17, we read "And Jonathan caused David to swear again, because he loved him …”

-BF
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks BF I'll make that part of my repatoir for the local thumpers down here in the Bible Belt.
    Steve
  • edited July 2006
    wezz_975 wrote:
    I have a tear come to my eye when I hear of people such as these, ones on a darkened path, lighted by their negativity, following false truth they have made themselves believe, which will only take them under. There is no need to hate these people, nor is there no need to help guide them, for this tells us truly who are the strong and who are the weak. Let them be in their deeds, there time will come one day.

with love,
    Wes.

I attempt not to hate. I do not always succeed. I do fear though, wrong or right. They, and those quieter then them, mean me harm.
  • edited September 2006
    I would like to take a moment to point out the similarities between Reverend Fred Phelps and "Kane" from Poltergeist II.

200px-Fred_Phelps_on_his_pulpit.jpg
    article2173.jpg

kane4.jpg
    rainkane32.jpg
    :hair:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    OMG!!! L...M...A...O!!!
  • edited September 2006
    I live within their "budget" protest driving radius. We see them several times a year in town. I even encountered a husband and wife of the Phelps clan at a City Hall meeting when the concept of banning protests at funerals was being debated. I have to tell you all I feel is pity. To be frank, homosexuality used to put me off a bit. But after encountering the Phelp's clan in full bloom while on a bike ride one day I began to try and come to terms with my aversion to the issue. If those people had that much hate within them I wanted to try and understand why.

I read their stuff and visited their websites. Its all about being afraid of a vengeful God. That I can do without. They suck it up and twist it to the most extreme view possible. They are the Wahabiists of Shawnee County. In Buddhism those that upset you most are your best teachers, right? Well we can look at Fred as beint the equal of a popular full professor at Harvard who give a great leacture. If we can't learn from him, who could we learn from?

Fred is purported to have been a very bright young poverty lawyer at one time and some even say he was a rising star in the Kansas political/legal scene. But somewhere along the way he changed. Locals tend to believe that a homosexual experience or urge may have set him upon his course of self-hate.

All I would ask is that you don't lump him in with mainstream Christianity or Kansans. He represents neither.
  • edited September 2006
    Whoa, Kris!

Now that's just plain scary!!! YIKES!!! But you are right! LMAO!!!

Adiana:hair: :hair: