Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

1,000-year-old image of temple may be that of Kota Gelanggi, Malaysia

edited April 2012 in Arts & Writings
PETALING JAYA: The lost city of Kota Gelanggi in Johor may be the unidentified temple shown in a 1000-year-old illustration of an unknown place in the region, a Cambridge University expert said.

R.C. Jamieson, Keeper of Sanskrit Manuscripts at the University of Cambridge, Britain, said the origin of the illustration which showed a former Buddha, Dipamkara, making a gesture of reassurance and holding a fold of his robe at his shoulder in a temple in Java had yet to be verified.

“However, we must bear in mind that Java then might not have been just the present island alone. At the time of The Perfection of Wisdom in 8,000 Lines (Astasahasrikaprajnaparamita) manuscript, the term encompassed Sumatra and part of the Malay peninsula.

“The manuscript states that the image was taken around 1015AD,” he said in an e-mail interview from London.

RELIGIOUS PORTRAYAL: Dipamkara making a gesture of reassurance and holding a fold of his robe at his shoulder while two attendants make the gesture of explanation and hold a blue lotus in an illustration from the manuscript kept at Cambridge University.
The palm-leaf manuscript got to Cambridge from Nepal and the main text was in Sanskrit, Jamieson added.
The illustration also shows two attendants who are bodhisattvas (deities) making the gesture of explanation and holding a blue lotus, among other items, while standing in a temple between some trees.

Jamieson said whether or not the illustration was that of the lost city of Kota Gelanggi, it was worth a detailed investigation.

He said: “If they were the one and the same, it would be a fabulous discovery. If they are not, the work is still valuable and the style of the illustrated building and remains could still be very similar.”

He expressed his willingness to assist in any expedition to verify the lost city initiated by the Museum and Antiquities Department.

Jamieson said the history of such places was important in the history of religion, trade, and international contact at the time and in many other spheres.

“I feel sure something has been found and the only sensible thing is to examine it in a scholarly fashion,” he added.The lost city of Kota Gelanggi in Johor may be the unidentified temple shown in a 1000-year-old illustration of an unknown place in the region, a Cambridge University expert said.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Of all the places in SE Asia I didn't see while I lived and traveled there, I most regret not seeing Borobudr.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Interesting. Dipamkara is also known as Atisha, one of the major importers of Buddhism to Tibet. He is said to have lived in Java for 12 years studying the teachings of bodhicitta from a master there.
  • Yup person. I think many of the old Buddhist temple which is actually not known by us.
  • vinlyn, r u going back to SE Asia
  • SileSile Veteran
    WOW - thanks for this!