Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist books v.s. Buddha's "books"

edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
For those of you who are fairly new to Buddhism or even those who have been buddhists for a long time, I wanted to share something I think is very important. When I first became interested in buddhism like many people, I would go to the book store like borders or something and found a lot of books on or about buddhism....the problem I had though was, not acttually having much of the buddhas words other then a sentince or 2 depending on what the auther wrote and quoted....Most of the time you are simply not going to find much in a local bookstore past maybe the heart suttra, or the dhammapada.

With that said, it took me sometime before I even knew the names of actual books which contained the actual words and teachings of the buddha. I came across a video one day by a chinese monk who reads and discusses the books I was looking for. I think most of you might have the same problem...its great we have a lot of american meditation teachers, and those who write books on buddhist subjects, ect ect...but what we all as buddhists need is the real deal.

ALL and I repeat ALL branches of buddhism share one thing in common...they all derive from the earliest teachings which are found in what is called the NIKAYAS.
Majjhima Nikaya, Samyutta Nikaya, Digha Nikaya, and the Anguttara Nikaya. and 4 other books which are consistant with these...they are, The Udana, The Itivuttaka,The Dhammapada and The Sutta Nipata.

You can find all of these on amazon...but collectivly they get a bit pricey.

So, for those who do not have any of these books but would like to be able to hear the Buddhas words go to google videos, type in "Majjhima Nikaya" and look for a monk by the name of Ven. Dhammavuddho Thero.

He has videos starting with number 1 all the way to the last sutta 152. I know he also did the Samyutta nikaya but I found it best to start with the Majjhima Nikaya. If you have the book, its nice to read along.

I hope all will be able to benifit from the Buddhas teachings!! thank you for reading this post!

Namaste

-Kashi

Comments

• Thank you, I will order these books as this is what i was looking for. I assume these books are "commentary" books, they are simply the direct translation of the buddhas word for you to interpret for yourself?
  • They do contain commentaries yes. As of right now the ones that are translated by bhikkhu nanamoli, and bhikkhu bodhi are the best english translations that are available. as far as interpret ing for yourself? All I can say is always do research, and take advantage of forums, and google, or try to contact a monk or a teacher whenever you have questions. Some of the Buddhas teachings are very simple to understand....the videos I talked about above also that monk has over 40 years practice. Just see if the buddhas teachings make sence to you...when questions or concerns arise, find someone to ask!!
    just like you are doing now my friend =)

Namaste
  • I guess most of you already know of these books considering lookingformyway is the only one to reply? lol!! thats ok, at least I helped someone
  • No...I think most people haven't gotten around to reading your post. We are a small group. Good thread.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I guess most of you already know of these books considering lookingformyway is the only one to reply? lol!! thats ok, at least I helped someone
    Another thing to consider is that Buddhism allows for many paths. So there are probably many here who are not quite on the same path as you. Certainly the Nikaya represents a very fundamental and early collection. But those not following the Theravada path may have other collections they consider just as valuable to their journey. How great it would be to have access to, and afford all important Buddhist works.

HH Dalai Lama reminds us that we all travel our own path. And just because others are not traveling along the same path, it does not mean they are lost.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Thanks, great info!

One of the reasons I love Thich Nhat Hanh so much is that in most of his books, there is a discourse (sutra) or two or a selection of koans to go with his Buddhist books. He gives his understanding and why.

Also, for those of us who are a little broke there is always the sacred text site. It's a terrific little site! If I'm not mistaken all the books mentioned can be found there.

Oh yeah, I can link it.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm

• In Tibetan Buddhism the idea is for a live transmission. So the authors understanding goes into the book. The idea is to transmit something. When you open to the blessing of the mandala and all the mind to mind connections it is amazing because it taps into the positivity of your own mind.

This is what I found at least. Each book is what the author realized in their practice and they are transmitting it in a skillful way.

I think Theravada is a little more about scripture. I have nothing against scripture though. But life practice and transmission can help to understand the scripture. The alive energy is like water and fertilizer you use to embed the growing plant of the scripture into the soil of your life, the pot and earth.

But just books is limited and a relationship to the teacher is considered part of the path in Tibetan Buddhism.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited April 2012
    It's the same for Vietnamese Zen. I am lucky enough to be close to the Little Huron Zen Center and the Center for Compassion and Awareness. Little Huron is Vietnamese Zen and C and A is Tibetan.

I'm non-sectarian and both appeal to me and so when we get into too much distinguishing and labels, I have to find the middle way if nobody minds me saying so.

It's actually easy to do when studying these ways because one uses Thay as a spiritual teacher for the lineage and one uses HH the Dalai Lama... Those guys are terrific and have alot in common.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Majjhima Nikaya, Samyutta Nikaya, Digha Nikaya, and the Anguttara Nikaya. and 4 other books which are consistant with these...they are, The Udana, The Itivuttaka,The Dhammapada and The Sutta Nipata.

You can find all of these on amazon...but collectivly they get a bit pricey.
    This is a useful site if you haven't come across it before:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/search_results.html?cx=015061908441090246348:al1bklhbjbi&cof=FORID:9;NB:1&ie=UTF-8&q=suttas
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    actual books which contained the actual words and teachings of the buddha.
    With no disrespect intended, I think it is good to keep in mind that Gautama (the one generally referred to as the springboard for something called Buddhism) never wrote a book. It is true that there was a strong oral tradition in his time -- one that passed on words that were then again passed on. And no doubt some of that information was correct ... just as, no doubt, some of that information was incorrect or shaded in one way or another.

It's all OK. As suggested above, the "authenticity" is not the point. The point is what individuals are willing to make authentic. Maybe speaking of "authenticity" will encourage that willingness. Equally possible is the fact that speaking of "authenticity" can embroil an entire lifetime of unactualized praise. In the past, I heard that Gautama himself wept when seeing the off-kilter approaches of those around him. Were he alive today, I can imagine his weeping afresh at what was "authentic" but remained unauthenticated.
  • quotations.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    quotations.
    I used to work as a newspaper reporter, perhaps a latter-day version of an oral tradition. As anyone who has ever been interviewed by a newspaper/magazine knows, the accuracy and context of a quote is frequently used for the convenience of the writer rather than the faithful rendering of the situation within which "quotations" are offered. Fox News may be an egregious example of this, but faithful reporters can reasonably be suspected of a similar laxness.

Is the "truth" true or even close to true? No way to know but to find out.

"The earth is flat" and "the moon is made of green cheese" and "there is a cause of suffering" all look pretty good in quotation marks.

• "books"
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    It's all OK. As suggested above, the "authenticity" is not the point.
    Presumably teachings are "authentic" if they lead us towards wisdom, liberation and freedom from suffering. But assessing this is probably quite subjective.
  • "That's the way it is, Kassapa. When beings are degenerating and the true Dhamma is disappearing, there are more training rules and yet fewer monks established in final gnosis. There is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world. Just as there is no disappearance of gold as long as a counterfeit of gold has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of gold when a counterfeit of gold has arisen in the world, in the same way there is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world.
  • Staying at Savatthi. "Monks, there once was a time when the Dasarahas had a large drum called 'Summoner'.
    Whenever Summoner was split, the Dasarahas inserted another peg in it, until the time came when Summoner's original wooden body had disappeared and only a conglomeration of pegs remained.

"In the same way, in the course of the future there will be monks who won't listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited.
    They won't lend ear, won't set their hearts on knowing them, won't regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering.

But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the works of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited.
    They will lend ear and set their hearts on knowing them. They will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.

"In this way the disappearance of the discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — will come about.

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited.
    We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.'

That's how you should train yourselves."