Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An online Soto Zen Sangha

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
... just responding to another thread this came to mind. If you are interested in Zen Buddhism... there is an online Sangha with Soto zen teachers who can answer questions about Zen, instead of just getting opinions from the likes of me. It is a practice Sangha... so the thrust is "do". The idea behind it is that people can find themselves very busy making a living and not have access to a place of practice.... The internet is a new frontier for Sangha and these teachers are doing their best to meet the need. It is a particular style of Soto Zen in the lineage of Dogen... so it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Also it is Zen Buddhism ... which is just one stream in the vast flow of Buddhism.

http://www.treeleaf.org/

I'm not here to pitch anything, but it just looks to me that some opportunity for getting that bum on the cushion with some guidance, in any way ... is better than our endless going round and round in discussion.. not that going round and round in discussion isn't a gas,,, but ....you know what i mean. So if Zen is your thing.... here is an option within reach..

Comments

• Wonderful :)! Thanks for the link.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Interesting link.
    I'll have a closer look at it.
    Thanks!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you so much! What I have been looking for!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Jundo is a good guy.

Also, at Zen Mountain Monastery they have "cybermonk"

"Cybermonk is a senior monastic available through e-mail to answer your Dharma questions. To send a message to Cybermonk, email cybermonk@mro.org."
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    http://www.treeleaf.org/
    I am a student of Jundo's. I took Jukai with him this January, though I have been around that sangha since January 2010. Treeleaf has given me exactly what I needed. If you want to deepen your Soto practice, I recommend it.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Although I lean towards Theravada, I too am a member over at Treeleaf Zendo. I like to participate as a member on other Buddhist related forum 'cause it gives one a better perspective as opposed to just lurking on a forum. Taigu and Jundo run a great forum, with excellent insight in to Dharma.

I also believe they are the first and only to ever ordain Zen Priests online via the 'Net.
  • http://www.treeleaf.org/
    I am a student of Jundo's. I took Jukai with him this January, though I have been around that sangha since January 2010. Treeleaf has given me exactly what I needed. If you want to deepen your Soto practice, I recommend it.
    Hi Amelia... you'll probably know my loose-lipped opinionating here and there under my Dharma name Kojip.

Jundo is doing a great thing and I really believe it deserves support... Fortunately I have
    bricks and mortar Sanghas for support in my city.... But this online format... online Dharma... in all traditions has great potential. It does require dropping some of the anonymity we are used to on the internet.... but if it is done together in the Dharma.. it is among friends.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Thanks, Richard, I've joined up and I'm listening to the beginner talks. All I've studied is Tibetan Buddhism so it's good to explore some others.

We have a soto zen class not far from me, but on the website they don't provide meeting details, only the Priests contact number and e-mail. I've e-mailed him and phoned him twice, leaving messages for him, but he's never got back to me.

Is this some sort of 'making it difficult' Zen joke that Tibetan Buddhists don't get?

:p

• We have a soto zen class not far from me, but on the website they don't provide meeting details, only the Priests contact number and e-mail. I've e-mailed him and phoned him twice, leaving messages for him, but he's never got back to me.

Is this some sort of 'making it difficult' Zen joke that Tibetan Buddhists don't get?

Hi Tosh. Can't imagine teaching reason for that. It sounds like the priest doesn't check his messages, or is disorganized. ...who knows?

• ToshTosh Veteran

We have a soto zen class not far from me, but on the website they don't provide meeting details, only the Priests contact number and e-mail. I've e-mailed him and phoned him twice, leaving messages for him, but he's never got back to me.

Hi Tosh. Can't imagine teaching reason for that. It sounds like the priest doesn't check his messages, or is disorganized. ...who knows?

Thanks, Richard; I was half joking. I'll keep on trying. I'm listening to IX on that link on the beginners videos. It's something I wish to investigate, so thanks for the link.

:D
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran

Hi Amelia... you'll probably know my loose-lipped opinionating here and there under my Dharma name Kojip
    Why hello there. =)