Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth ad nauseam

tmottestmottes Veteran
edited May 2012 in Philosophy
I have seen a lot of rebirth and reincarnation posts in the short time I have been visiting newbuddhist.com. I tend to believe that this question is answered best through a consistent and focused practice. However, that being said, I am curious about you guys' perspective.

Wikipedia, and others, have suggested that
...Each moment is an experience of an individual mind-state such as a thought, a memory, a feeling or a perception. A mind-state arises, exists and, being impermanent, ceases, following which the next mind-state arises. Thus the consciousness of a sentient being can be seen as a continuous series of birth and death of these mind-states. Rebirth is the persistence of this process.
This perspective seems reasonable to me. In combination with my experience in life, I can extrapolate this concept to daily cycles/patterns/conditions, habits, etc. For example, my habit of smoking goes through the cycles of rebirth, as well as my thought patterns, reactions to certain stimuli, and even my morning ritual of feeding the dogs. Furthermore, it seems reasonable to extrapolate this idea further to include "my" consciousness. Hell, I can see parents passing on their genes to their children as a form of rebirth (the same flame, but a different candle), civilizations rise and fall... rebirth, species come and go...rebirth. They are just rebirths/cycles/patterns that are not quite the same, but not exactly different; and we chose the scope by which we view them. So I guess I don't see a problem with accepting a continuum of interpretations for rebirth.

Here is where my question comes in: what suttas provide the evidence for your belief of the scope of rebirth. I know the buddha spoke of seeing his "past births", but it could be interpreted that these "past births" are simply the patterns in his current existence. Are there other suttas that "push" you in one direction or the other?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Thanks for your very good question. I hope people respond with specific references to the Dhamma, rather then stating their personal belief...again.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Hi!
    what suttas provide the evidence
    Suttas provide no evidence.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Here.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html

and here

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn51/sn51.020.than.html

From the first ref: (The second contains something similar).

"He recollects his manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he remembers his manifold past lives in their modes & details.

If the recollection goes back aeons of cosmic expansion and contraction then it is beyond this lifespan.

By following the instruction in these suttas I guess you could verify it too.

/Victor
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @Victorious provided good references. I think the idea that we are constantly being reborn each moment is a very accurate way to think of things. This is what the notion of subtle impermanence says too, that things are constantly arising and passing away. The real question is though, does this process end at death of the body?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Aye, there's the rub.....;)
    edited May 2012
    Hmm maybe this could help out with that.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn44/sn44.009.than.html

"And at the moment when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."

Or this
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.124.than.html

At the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in conjunction with the devas of the Pure Abodes. This rebirth is not in common with run-of-the-mill people.

Difficult to argue with break-up of the body ... or?

And I guess everybody has argued over this one?
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.012.nypo.html ;)

/Victor
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @Victorious thanks for all the great references. It was just what I was hoping to see. In your second post: first link, I feel like it could be interpreted as the body that exists at each infinitesimal small interval of time and the transition (rebirth) from each moment to the next.

I find the second link a bit more difficult to explain in the scope of each moment. Especially, as I am not sure how to interpret the "devas of the Pure Abodes" phrase.

@person If the process doesn't start with the body, I see no reason it should end with it...
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I know the buddha spoke of seeing his "past births", but it could be interpreted that these "past births" are simply the patterns in his current existence. Are there other suttas that "push" you in one direction or the other?
    I've read the suttas extensively and they describe rebirth in straightforward literal way, not in terms of "moment to moment" rebirth, which seems to be a later commentarial addition.

It's valid to talk about mind states being born and then dying, though "arising and ceasing" is probably more straightforward.

I would suggest spending some time reading the suttas, so that you can understand better what they say.
    I hope people respond with specific references to the Dhamma, rather then stating their personal belief...again.
    I would be interested if anybody can quote a sutta which specifically describes the "moment-to-moment rebirth" of mind states.
    edited May 2012
    @Victorious thanks for all the great references. It was just what I was hoping to see. In your second post: first link, I feel like it could be interpreted as the body that exists at each infinitesimal small interval of time and the transition (rebirth) from each moment to the next.

I find the second link a bit more difficult to explain in the scope of each moment. Especially, as I am not sure how to interpret the "devas of the Pure Abodes" phrase.

@person If the process doesn't start with the body, I see no reason it should end with it...
    You are most welcome.

May I ask what you mean by the body that exsits at each infinitesimal small interval of time?

This I found about the body... which contradicts that theory if I understand what you say.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.061.than.html

It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another.

It also answers @porpoise question about moment-to-moment "self experience" somewhat.

Regards
    Victor

I am sorry. It seems to validate porpoise statement not answer his question. Yes I second his question!

/Victor
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @porpoise That is why I started this thread... to find the suttas which describe rebirth or at least find a starting place to learn more. I guess there is always a question in the back of my mind if there was anything lost in translation or wrapped up in culture. Ultimately, I don't expect anything other than my medication practice to produce real wisdom around this.

@Victorious I just meant the potential moment to moment rebirth of reality. Something akin to the way that things are quantized in nature: i.e there is no real continuum only the illusion of it. I like that last reference you provided. It seems to embody both the moment to moment rebirth of the mind, in addition to the more gross and difficult to describe rebirth of ego?/form?. Or whatever it is that is reborn.

"Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another."

It also answers @porpoise question about moment-to-moment "self experience" somewhat.
    Yes, good quote, which describes the continual arising and ceasing of mind states - but no reference here to birth or rebirth. ;)
    @porpoise That is why I started this thread... to find the suttas which describe rebirth or at least find a starting place to learn more.

Enjoy!

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/search_results.html?cx=015061908441090246348:al1bklhbjbi&cof=FORID:9;NB:1&ie=UTF-8&q=rebirth
    Another example:

http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Maha_Govinda_Sutta

Do you remember this, Lord?" "I do, Pancasikha. At that time I was the Brahmin, the Great Steward, and I taught those disciples the path to union with the Brahma-world.

Or this:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....024.wlsh.html

Now at that time Sarakaani the Sakyan, who had died, was proclaimed by the Blessed One to be a Stream-Winner, not subject to rebirth in states of woe, assured of enlightenment.

How can a dead man, who still had 7 fetters to break at the time of death, be assured of enlightenment if the person is not reincarnated?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....082.than.html

So he burns, poked with sticks, in just one piece of cloth, leaving all his possessions behind. They are not shelters for one who has died — not relatives, friends, or companions. His heirs take over his wealth, while the being goes on, in line with his kamma. No wealth at all follows the dead one — not children, wives, dominion, or riches.

"Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another."

Yes, good quote, which describes the continual arising and ceasing of mind states - but no reference here to birth or rebirth. ;)
    I know @porpoise My mistake. I did comment as much in my very next post just after the above one. ;).

/Victor

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    From the shentong perspective no moment can be found or grasped. Via madyamaka logic. Thus under inspection experience is not a series of moments and is rather ungraspable emptiness-luminosity.
    How can a dead man, who still had 7 fetters to break at the time of death, be assured of enlightenment if the person is not reincarnated?

There are many references to kamma, rebirth and realms in the suttas, so it's very likely that the Buddha taught about these things.

Why he taught about them, and how they are significant for Buddhist practice is of course open to interpretation. Some have speculated that he made it all up to reach a wider audience, but personally I don't find that theory convincing.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The other day I read a link from another thread that helped me shed some light on this. It was a Q&A with the late Ven. Dr. K. Sri Dhammananda that has been put online. The relevant questions are 10-14.

More or less, rebirth is just the metal process continuing its patterns/cycles/conditions (similar to each thought rebirth) after a certain point in the pattern/cycle/condition of the physical process (i.e. physical death); but there is still no "I" that you can point to, because they are ever-changing processes.

• The real question is though, does this process end at death of the body?
    What process are you asking about exactly?
    The real question is though, does this process end at death of the body?
    The process of moment to moment rebirth or subtle impermanence.
  • The idea of rebirth has never sat right with me. IMO it goes against the idea of "no self".
  • The real question is though, does this process end at death of the body?
    The process of moment to moment rebirth or subtle impermanence.
    Impermanence, subtle or otherwise, does seem to continue after people die, though impermanence is a quality of processes and not itself a process. Human births also continue to occur after people die; the process of human reproduction.

That said, it is not clear what you mean. I suppose that I should be asking what the process of "rebirth" is. If this process can be shown or explained then that might answer the question. "Impermanence" would seem to suggest that things end and do not continue indefinitely, so perhaps the question is academic from the start.
    @ozen there's an interpretation of rebirth that says we are constantly being reborn in each new moment. This is what the OP was talking about and whether or not this interpretation was correct. I was agreeing with him in that I think it is a correct interpretation. People who accept life to life rebirth also accept a moment to moment explanation, in fact its necessary. The crux of the debate over rebirth though is whether at death an individual ends or if there is a continuation into another body.

My question was more of a rhetorical one. I was simply saying that an understanding of moment to moment rebirth doesn't really answer the question of if there is some kind of continuuation of a mindstream after death.
  • @person

Yes, your rhetorical device was obviously effective in my case. I'm considering and trying to see your point of view. You'll also notice that I did not attempt to answer your rhetorical question.

In considering your point of view the trouble seems to be understanding what the "process" is, which is why I asked about it.

"Moment to moment rebirth" seems to merely emphasize impermanence or the concept of "no-self," as I understand it. As I pointed out, impermanence is not itself a process but a quality of processes.

I will also reiterate that if impermanence is the rule of the universe or whatever, then yes, things end, people die and do not continue. People and things do however effect other people and things, and those effects or "processes," if you prefer, continue long after death. Maybe that's what you mean, simply that peoples lives have effects which continue beyond their lives. I'm sure everyone can see that.
    Well, I wasn't really trying to take a position in my first post. But since you ask, I do believe in an immaterial component to existence, therefore I don't think that an individual's consciousness is snuffed out at the death of the body.

As to impermanence, a plant sprouts from a seed, grows, blooms and eventually dies. That is a gross kind of impermanence. For that to happen though there has to be a moment to moment type of change happening, that is what is meant by subtle impermanence. So I guess in this context the mind is changing from moment to moment but that doesn't automatically mean it ends when the body ends.

The mechanism of literal rebirth is never really explained in Buddhism so I can't really talk about the process. But just because I don't know how a watch works doesn't mean I can't tell the time.
  • Well, I wasn't really trying to take a position in my first post.
    Position? Rhetorical questions are normally posed to invite others to consider a point of view. You do seem to have a particular point of view. I'm not sure what a position has to do with this.
    But since you ask, I do believe in an immaterial component to existence, therefore I don't think that an individual's consciousness is snuffed out at the death of the body.
    To be frank I don't see how material/immaterial are of any particular relevance to what we're discussing, unless you are suggesting that the immaterial is not impermanent. Do you believe that what exists immaterially is not impermanent? Sorry if that sounds awkward.
    As to impermanence, a plant sprouts from a seed, grows, blooms and eventually dies. That is a gross kind of impermanence. For that to happen though there has to be a moment to moment type of change happening, that is what is meant by subtle impermanence. So I guess in this context the mind is changing from moment to moment but that doesn't automatically mean it ends when the body ends.
    In Western philosophy there is a school of thought called Cartesian dualism that I read about in college. Basically all classes of dualist though like this believe that mind and body are independent of each other. What you're are saying here is essentially dualist in nature, yes?
    The mechanism of literal rebirth is never really explained in Buddhism so I can't really talk about the process. But just because I don't know how a watch works doesn't mean I can't tell the time.
    The difference, as you explained yourself, is that the former has an immaterial component and the latter does not. We can't explain immaterial processes because ... they are immaterial. We can explain a watch because it is material. It's just that simple I guess.
    edited May 2012
    But since you ask, I do believe in an immaterial component to existence, therefore I don't think that an individual's consciousness is snuffed out at the death of the body.
    To be frank I don't see how material/immaterial are of any particular relevance to what we're discussing, unless you are suggesting that the immaterial is not impermanent. Do you believe that what exists immaterially is not impermanent? Sorry if that sounds awkward.
    I guess what I'm talking about is whether that immaterial aspect is produced from matter or not. The immaterial, or mind here, is impermanent in that its always changing, but it would only make sense that it would end at death if it was a product of the brain. To me this is what the discussion is really about.
    In Western philosophy there is a school of thought called Cartesian dualism that I read about in college. Basically all classes of dualist though like this believe that mind and body are independent of each other. What you're are saying here is essentially dualist in nature, yes?
    Maybe, I haven't completely wrapped my head around this aspect. Three things though, one the Buddhist understanding is that the mind and body support each other "like 2 sheafs of a reed". Two, if mind is primary to matter there is no issue with dualism as matter arises out of mind. Three in TB mind is classified into 3 aspects, gross, subtle and very subtle, gross mind is intimately tied with the senses and the body and ends at death.

Like I said I haven't really resolved this for myself, these are just some possible avenues of resolution. I also don't really understand what the problem is with dualism.
    The difference, as you explained yourself, is that the former has an immaterial component and the latter does not. We can't explain immaterial processes because ... they are immaterial. We can explain a watch because it is material. It's just that simple I guess.

Buddhism seeks to understand the immaterial component of our inner world, our subjective experience through the refined introspection of meditation, so I do think it is possible to explain immaterial processes. This isn't accepted by modern science as an acceptable process because it isn't objective, but the results can be repeated and has been repeated by others willing to take the time and effort to look deeply into their own minds. Our subjective experience, or qualia, seems to be something that science can never touch so shouldn't there be some way to study and understand that as well?
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @ozen the "moment to moment" rebirth is the 12 stages of dependent origination applied over and over again on a very small scale (moments of thought for example). It is of course tied to the idea of impermanence and non-self (it is not "no-self", but that the body and mind you perceive with your senses is not self).
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I also don't really understand what the problem is with dualism.
    @person I think that the biggest issue I have with Cartesian Dualism (Ghost in the machine) is that it seems to just be an extension of every other dualism that humans choose to see as reality. Take hot and cold for example: hot is faster moving particles, while cold is slower moving particles. Another good one is wet and dry: wet is the presence of water, while dry is the absence of water. Both are two ways to describe a single property (which isn't really single, but for our example we will leave it there).

I guess the easiest way for me to understand all this, is to ask myself, does my thumb have a soul?
  • I guess what I'm talking about is whether that immaterial aspect is produced from matter or not. The immaterial, or mind here, is impermanent in that its always changing, but it would only make sense that it would end at death if it was a product of the brain. To me this is what the discussion is really about.
    Clearly it takes more than a brain to produce a mind. For instance, what do you think would happen to the mind if the brain were kept physically health but was completely cutoff from the world and received no sense input? It would fade away rather quickly I'm afraid, to answer my own question. It would be like trying to put wind in a jar.

If mind is impermanent then why can't it simply die as other impermanent things do?
    Maybe, I haven't completely wrapped my head around this aspect. Three things though, one the Buddhist understanding is that the mind and body support each other "like 2 sheafs of a reed". Two, if mind is primary to matter there is no issue with dualism as matter arises out of mind. Three in TB mind is classified into 3 aspects, gross, subtle and very subtle, gross mind is intimately tied with the senses and the body and ends at death.

Like I said I haven't really resolved this for myself, these are just some possible avenues of resolution. I also don't really understand what the problem is with dualism.
    The problem is in causality, which I believe is central to Buddhist doctrine concerning karma and rebirth. If mind and matter are independent of each other then a causal link between them does not exist, or it only exists casually. If there's only a casual link causality itself becomes casual. Murder, rape and pillaging may or may not lead to more suffering. Wisdom, compassion and love may or may not lead to less suffering.

And how can matter arise out of mind if there is such a diversity of minds while matter is utterly uniform?
    Buddhism seeks to understand the immaterial component of our inner world, our subjective experience through the refined introspection of meditation, so I do think it is possible to explain immaterial processes.
    We're talking about death. Or do you basically mean that we can remember a previous death and rebirth. That we can remember the process? I'm not sure that would be helpful in understanding the process. For instance, I can't remember my physical birth and even if I could I wouldn't have any idea of how that physical process works without subsequent education in the matter as a developing child and adult. That teaching comes from adults who observe the process occurring in others.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The quality of awareness is impermanent. No certain thought or memory (yes they change and are misremembered), feeling or whatever is permanent.

But implicit in that change is spaciousness. Possibilities. And clarity comes of awareness. And sensitivity. I don't know where brain cells end and intuition begins but there is a sensitive quality to a sentient being. This is what we have. This is the primordial ground.

Trungpa said somehting like "The bad news is that we are falling with nothing to grab onto. The good news is that there is no ground to fall, smack, onto."
    @ozen there's an interpretation of rebirth that says we are constantly being reborn in each new moment. This is what the OP was talking about and whether or not this interpretation was correct. I was agreeing with him in that I think it is a correct interpretation.
    Yes, it's one way of looking at it. The difficulty comes when we try to specify what exactly is reborn in each new moment.
    I guess what I'm talking about is whether that immaterial aspect is produced from matter or not. The immaterial, or mind here, is impermanent in that its always changing, but it would only make sense that it would end at death if it was a product of the brain. To me this is what the discussion is really about.
    Clearly it takes more than a brain to produce a mind. For instance, what do you think would happen to the mind if the brain were kept physically health but was completely cutoff from the world and received no sense input? It would fade away rather quickly I'm afraid, to answer my own question. It would be like trying to put wind in a jar.
    This is what meditators on long term retreat essentially do. They cut themselves off from the outside world and go inside. They stop engaging the senses and what they report is that the true nature of the mind is luminous, clear and has the quality of knowing. I've seen enough of what the mind is capable of to provisionally trust that what these yogis say is true.
    If mind is impermanent then why can't it simply die as other impermanent things do?
    I suppose maybe it could, but if its not a product of the brain then why would it die along with the body? I remember some argument that for it to end the mind would need some type of opposing factor or something. I'm not sure that is completely accurate but there is a philosophical reason given somewhere as to why the continuum of mind doesn't die.

The problem is in causality, which I believe is central to Buddhist doctrine concerning karma and rebirth. If mind and matter are independent of each other then a causal link between them does not exist, or it only exists casually. If there's only a casual link causality itself becomes casual. Murder, rape and pillaging may or may not lead to more suffering. Wisdom, compassion and love may or may not lead to less suffering.
    I think there's some confusion about what is meant by mind. There is gross mind and subtle mind, these are likely dependent upon the brain. When I talk about mind my view is like that of a film projector. The brain is like the film where the details of what appears to us occurs (all our thinking and sensing). The mind though is like the projector bulb that brings these processes to light and allows us to have conscious awarness of them. If the brain handles all our processing without the need for our personal inner awareness of it then why are we conscious at all? Neuroscience still doesn't have an explanation for how conscious experience arises. So the fundamental nature of mind apart from all the thinking and sensing is luminous, clear and knowing.
    And how can matter arise out of mind if there is such a diversity of minds while matter is utterly uniform?
    I think this statement also doesn't account for the way Buddhism views the mind. Matter is only uniform when we zoom way down to the subatomic level, on the gross level grass is different from sand. The mind is the same way, if we look at the gross level we all have different thoughts and feelings and senses if you include animals. On the very subtle level though, when we look deep inside the mind is uniform.
    Buddhism seeks to understand the immaterial component of our inner world, our subjective experience through the refined introspection of meditation, so I do think it is possible to explain immaterial processes.
    We're talking about death. Or do you basically mean that we can remember a previous death and rebirth. That we can remember the process? I'm not sure that would be helpful in understanding the process. For instance, I can't remember my physical birth and even if I could I wouldn't have any idea of how that physical process works without subsequent education in the matter as a developing child and adult. That teaching comes from adults who observe the process occurring in others.
    I'm talking about understanding the nature of mind. I'm trying to say that the immaterial mind can be understood, not through scientific measurement but through refined meditative introspection.

All knowledge of the world doesn't have to come from empirical observation. I'd say that its impossible, currently at least and probably forever, for a third party to directly observe anothers inner experience. So are we then stuck without any way to understand it? Buddhism says no, that we can turn our minds inward and develop our tool of introspection to look in an unbiased way at what is going on. Those who have done so say that fundamental nature of our mind isn't produced from something physical.
  • I guess what I'm talking about is whether that immaterial aspect is produced from matter or not. The immaterial, or mind here, is impermanent in that its always changing, but it would only make sense that it would end at death if it was a product of the brain. To me this is what the discussion is really about.
    This is what meditators on long term retreat essentially do. They cut themselves off from the outside world and go inside. They stop engaging the senses and what they report is that the true nature of the mind is luminous, clear and has the quality of knowing. I've seen enough of what the mind is capable of to provisionally trust that what these yogis say is true.
    This is not true. Indeed during meditation in my experience it becomes clear what an abundance of experience can be had while just sitting and doing nothing. I'm talking about the absence of any sense input. Maybe that was not clear.
    I suppose maybe it could, but if its not a product of the brain then why would it die along with the body? I remember some argument that for it to end the mind would need some type of opposing factor or something. I'm not sure that is completely accurate but there is a philosophical reason given somewhere as to why the continuum of mind doesn't die.
    This makes me think of another question: why might not the mind die before the body? For instance in the example above, where all sense input is cutoff from the mind but the body is sustained. In that situation the mind would fade away while the body remained alive.
    When I talk about mind my view is like that of a film projector. The brain is like the film where the details of what appears to us occurs (all our thinking and sensing). The mind though is like the projector bulb that brings these processes to light and allows us to have conscious awarness of them. If the brain handles all our processing without the need for our personal inner awareness of it then why are we conscious at all? Neuroscience still doesn't have an explanation for how conscious experience arises. So the fundamental nature of mind apart from all the thinking and sensing is luminous, clear and knowing.
    You lost me here. My impression is that this is an interpretation of insight practice, or something like that. I would assume that "mind" encompasses all of that, but anyway your meaning is not clear. Perhaps you can rephrase this if you believe it is important.
    I think this statement also doesn't account for the way Buddhism views the mind. Matter is only uniform when we zoom way down to the subatomic level, on the gross level grass is different from sand. The mind is the same way, if we look at the gross level we all have different thoughts and feelings and senses if you include animals. On the very subtle level though, when we look deep inside the mind is uniform.
    What I meant is that different minds may perceive the world differently. Grass and sand, for example, may be perceived differently by minds or sentient beings. Yet no matter how many divergent minds view grass and sand, that grass and sand does not change. Or maybe it does change by mere perception, but which mind was most influential? Do 'strong' minds shape reality more that 'weak' minds?
    I'm talking about understanding the nature of mind. I'm trying to say that the immaterial mind can be understood, not through scientific measurement but through refined meditative introspection.
    This is apparently false in regard to understanding the process of postmortem rebirth, which is the subject of our dialog. I could easily come up with a hundred questions regarding the process of postmortem rebirth that no one could answer. That indicates a lack of understanding. But that's okay because it's not important to understand.
    This is not true. Indeed during meditation in my experience it becomes clear what an abundance of experience can be had while just sitting and doing nothing. I'm talking about the absence of any sense input. Maybe that was not clear.
    If you're anything like me or most people in the world, I doubt your mind has stilled to the point where thoughts and experiences have quieted and your experience of your mind is that of the clouds in the sky and not of the sky itself.
    This makes me think of another question: why might not the mind die before the body? For instance in the example above, where all sense input is cutoff from the mind but the body is sustained. In that situation the mind would fade away while the body remained alive.
    Yes indeed, this is kind of my point about advanced meditators. They say that when the mind is free from all these mental formations that the mind doesn't die, that one can then see its fundamental quality.
    When I talk about mind my view is like that of a film projector. The brain is like the film where the details of what appears to us occurs (all our thinking and sensing). The mind though is like the projector bulb that brings these processes to light and allows us to have conscious awarness of them. If the brain handles all our processing without the need for our personal inner awareness of it then why are we conscious at all? Neuroscience still doesn't have an explanation for how conscious experience arises. So the fundamental nature of mind apart from all the thinking and sensing is luminous, clear and knowing.
    You lost me here. My impression is that this is an interpretation of insight practice, or something like that. I would assume that "mind" encompasses all of that, but anyway your meaning is not clear. Perhaps you can rephrase this if you believe it is important.
    To me whether literal rebirth happens depends upon the nature of the mind, is it wholely produced by the brain or is there some other aspect to it.

The Buddhist understanding which comes from repeated first person observation is that, when the mind is looked at at a basic level its nature is clear and knowing. A couple of metaphors that are given are that its like a mirror that reflects whatever comes before it or like a flashlight that shines upon an object. The light or the mirror don't change and aren't effected by what they touch but the mind allows for the vivid appearance of phenomena within our subjective experience or the screen of our inner world.

This is really my main point, that our experience isn't entirely physical. That Buddhism has an understanding of the nature of the mind that doesn't come from dogma but comes from investigation into an aspect of our lives that science isn't able to touch.

Regarding my initial question though, all I was saying is that viewing rebirth as a moment to moment occurance doesn't really solve the problem of postmortem rebirth.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Regarding my initial question though, all I was saying is that viewing rebirth as a moment to moment occurance doesn't really solve the problem of postmortem rebirth.
    @person It can if the mind simply continues doing what it is doing without skipping a beat between this physical body and the next. Similar to how a child may stop playing with one toy and begin to play with another. The toys are physically different, but the "playing" process is continued from one toy to the next.
    @person It can if the mind simply continues doing what it is doing without skipping a beat between this physical body and the next. Similar to how a child may stop playing with one toy and begin to play with another. The toys are physically different, but the "playing" process is continued from one toy to the next.
    Yeah, I think that is a good way to explain how it happens. But it doesn't really answer the question as to whether it actually does happen.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @person I suppose only practice answers that one :)
  • This is not true. Indeed during meditation in my experience it becomes clear what an abundance of experience can be had while just sitting and doing nothing. I'm talking about the absence of any sense input. Maybe that was not clear.
    If you're anything like me or most people in the world, I doubt your mind has stilled to the point where thoughts and experiences have quieted and your experience of your mind is that of the clouds in the sky and not of the sky itself.
    I don't know if you're deliberately not following what I'm say but in any case it is clear you don't want to go there. It's a little annoying I will admit, but it's no problem. I'll just drop this part.
    Yes indeed, this is kind of my point about advanced meditators. They say that when the mind is free from all these mental formations that the mind doesn't die, that one can then see its fundamental quality.
    And you believe that it is this incorporeal mind, free of mental formations, that is reborn or leads to a rebirth?
    To me whether literal rebirth happens depends upon the nature of the mind, is it wholely produced by the brain or is there some other aspect to it.
    There are countless other aspects to it. It takes much much more that a brian to produce a mind.
    This is really my main point, that our experience isn't entirely physical. That Buddhism has an understanding of the nature of the mind that doesn't come from dogma but comes from investigation into an aspect of our lives that science isn't able to touch.
    Neither a Buddhist practitioner nor a scientist understand the process of postmortem rebirth beyond what little is outlined in Buddhist doctrine. Basically it's like, do good and you'll have a good rebirth and do bad and you'll have a bad rebirth. It's like heaven and hell. No one can imagine what eternal peace or eternal torment is like, much less explain the process of how it works.
    Try the Eight Fold Path. That's how to solve it. :)
    I'm not really trying to explain the process only whether post mortem rebirth could happen or not.
    There are countless other aspects to it. It takes much much more that a brian to produce a mind.
    Yeah, I guess I was vague on this part. What I'm saying is that there's an aspect besides the material world that produces a mind. That there's more going on than our senses, feelings and thoughts. Or maybe not but there's a causal continuuation of individual karma beyond death.
    I don't know if you're deliberately not following what I'm say but in any case it is clear you don't want to go there. It's a little annoying I will admit, but it's no problem. I'll just drop this part.
    I think what I'm saying is that through advanced absorbtive meditations the senses can be shut off. So I think I understand what you're saying I just don't agree.
  • I'm not really trying to explain the process only whether post mortem rebirth could happen or not.
    I did not suspect that you were. As I've pointed out several times, no one can actually explain the process.
    Yeah, I guess I was vague on this part. What I'm saying is that there's an aspect besides the material world that produces a mind. That there's more going on than our senses, feelings and thoughts. Or maybe not but there's a causal continuuation of individual karma beyond death.
    Just being alive produces effects which will continue after our death. One thing worthy of note is that causes and results are based on purposes. Given that, we might ask what the purpose of postmortem rebirth is.
    I think what I'm saying is that through advanced absorbtive meditations the senses can be shut off. So I think I understand what you're saying I just don't agree.
    You're saying that, for instance, when someone is in an advanced absorptive meditative state you could repeatedly jab them with sharp needles or really do anything to them and they would not wake up? I believe that's called a coma.
    You're saying that, for instance, when someone is in an advanced absorptive meditative state you could repeatedly jab them with sharp needles or really do anything to them and they would not wake up? I believe that's called a coma.
    A coma that a meditator can enter and exit at will!. I'm not that familiar with these meditative states to say if the person would notice or not, but I have read some old stories where a yogi was in deep meditation and didn't notice rats started eating his flesh or some other mishap was befalling him. What I do remember hearing from experienced meditators alive today is that when they enter these absorbtions all their senses fall away and yet the mind doesn't end.
  • Niether does the body in those instances...