Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation advice?

edited May 2012 in Meditation
Hello. When I sit in half lotus my legs fall asleep after a few minutes (like most people),
This doesn't distract from my meditating, but is it for my legs?

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2012
    don't worry, your legs are not meditating :lol:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    You don't have to sit in any lotus position if you don't want to.

I find Burmese to be the most comfortable for me (mostly because I can't even do half- or full-lotus), never had issues with legs falling asleep.

Or are you asking if it's bad for your circulation or something...?
  • Dear @chenjir

This site has some different postures which you could review for your meditations:

http://mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

Thankyou for practicing.

Namaste.

Abu
  • ethereaetherea Veteran
    Your legs will become accustomed to the position given time.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Its really only important that your back is straight and relaxed. If you have a cushion or a chair this is easy to accomplish without having to put your legs in any special position. So it may work out better for you to find a position for your legs where they don't fall asleep.

Here's some good info on posture

http://www.wildmind.org/posture
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    As ethera said, your legs will get used to it. It's just like when you're at the gym and you are instructed to do something you are not used to do: you will feel pain during and after the training session but the pain will end after a few more days of training.
  • NO!!! I'm sorry, I meant to say "is it BAD for my legs?" I forgot to type "bad" haha
  • Gently ease up on the tension now and then but keep the focus on the breath when you do. Works great for me and makes me want to try and sit the entire day. :)
  • NO!!! I'm sorry, I meant to say "is it BAD for my legs?" I forgot to type "bad" haha
    :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I wonder the same thing. I usually don't set a timer I just sit until my legs are numb about 20-25 minutes. Then walking meditation to wake them up.
  • At the Zen monastery we sit on average about 10 hours a day, but our sits last about 25 minutes - intercepted by walking kinhin or just resting kinhin.

Many students who can will sit through those resting kinhin periods. In other words, it depends on the individual and as long as you check your base posture and are not just squashing your legs, then I do not believe it is unhealthy at all.

What is unhealthy is probably more a deluded mindset :) so zazen or meditation is one of the best ways to address our mental and spiritual health IMO.

Namaste,
    Abu
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Does anyone have a medical opinion? Can I just let me legs 'be asleep'?
  • It can be dangerous if you get up too quickly and fall so if it is numb then get up gentle gentle/rub legs *non medical opinion* I also don't squash my legs, which is what usually causes numb legs (hence exploration of sitting options)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Its really only important that your back is straight and relaxed. If you have a cushion or a chair this is easy to accomplish without having to put your legs in any special position. So it may work out better for you to find a position for your legs where they don't fall asleep.
    I agree. The purpose of meditation is to work on the mind, not to attempt uncomfortable yogic contortions which are at best a distraction and at worst physically damaging.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @Floating_Abu (or anyone),

I have a dilema in that a new zen center opened and gives me the opportunity of face to face exposure. They do 30 minutes sitting and my legs go numb by 25. I tried burmese and they went numb after 15! I have meditated for years just doing 20 and 10 sitting/walking.

So I wonder how I can sit in this sangha. I will ask the teacher later on of course. I don't want to sit in a chair because I have cultivated the stability I get from sitting in my usual way, half-lotus is very relaxing. Normally I get a really good peaceful and fulfilling sitting doing my 20/10 and often doing 2, 3, or more of those.

Thank you :)

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    NO!!! I'm sorry, I meant to say "is it BAD for my legs?" I forgot to type "bad" haha
    if you do not have any problems in your legs to begin with, then don't worry as i think just sitting in meditation will not do any bad to your legs. after getting up after meditation, just keep in mind to not raise immediately, as you may fall if the legs are numb - so after your meditation, open your eyes and try to move your legs a little bit in the sitting posture and when you feel comfortable with your legs, then try to slowly get up.
  • Hey OP, I personally found this to be very helpful to my understanding of meditation more recently.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/medclass/index.htm
  • @Floating_Abu (or anyone),

I have a dilema in that a new zen center opened and gives me the opportunity of face to face exposure. They do 30 minutes sitting and my legs go numb by 25. I tried burmese and they went numb after 15! I have meditated for years just doing 20 and 10 sitting/walking.

So I wonder how I can sit in this sangha. I will ask the teacher later on of course. I don't want to sit in a chair because I have cultivated the stability I get from sitting in my usual way, half-lotus is very relaxing. Normally I get a really good peaceful and fulfilling sitting doing my 20/10 and often doing 2, 3, or more of those.

Thank you :)

Hi @Jeffrey

Nice to hear you will get some face to face exposure.

I think the teacher discussion will tell the tale, the reason is because in my last school/city the sits went for 40 minutes, but people could move i.e. there was no Jikijitsu to yell or snigger at them :)

So maybe this tradition might be more flexible.

At the monastery, sometimes if I have been sitting for a long long time because Roshi is still giving interviews, then I will alternate between burmese and seiza, just to give my legs some variety.

I have also tried experimenting with different cushion heights, and would recommend you do the same.

For eg. in the center, you can grab 2 or even 3 for seiza, and also use knee pads etc. The idea is you are not squashing your own legs, which is what typically causes numbness.

If it is an established group you can also ask someone else to help you check your posture IRL which is often more useful than over the internet.

Finally, I would reiterate that if you feel your feet/legs are numb get up slowly, and massage them before attempting to get up. Protocol usually understands this and it is better to be secure than fall over during kinhin.

With best wishes and let me know how it goes, man!!! :)

Abu
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Floating_Abu, thanks. Maybe the cushions will help. I just use a couch cushion at home. For the longest time I didn't use any cushion whatsoever.
  • No problems @Jeffrey, more than happy to help :) Yah, I know what you mean but I think the cushions can help and maybe that will give you the stability not to sink on yourself. See how you go and let me know how you get on :)

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I have to wonder why we don't consider that the repeatedly impeading of blood circulation or nerve pathways has any physical consequence for bodily limbs.
    Can we think of another activity other than "sacred" sitting, that we would think was OK that caused the repeated numbing of our limbs?.
  • It doesnt have to numb your limbs, thats my point
  • And there is nothing sacred about sitting, its your practice, your life