Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

homemade retraite...

ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
edited May 2012 in Meditation
Every two hours, my timer goes off. I stop doing what I do, and sit for ten minutes or so.
This is my second day. My last proberly for while,
Tomorrow I got re-schooling again.
I really don't get it, why I need to pay a lot of money to do this somewere else...

sidenote:
I still live like a hermite, however, stopped feeling lonely all together quite a while ago.

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Every two hours, my timer goes off. I stop doing what I do, and sit for ten minutes or so.
    I really don't get it, why I need to pay a lot of money to do this somewere else...

sidenote:
    I still live like a hermite, however, stopped feeling lonely all together quite a while ago.
    Sounds good. But I do find that on retreat I meditate more and have less distractions.

• Does the world distract you?

Or do you distract the world?
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012

sidenote:
    In the sesshins I sat for 10 hours with the monks, I would never score that at home. Too much TV and food....Plus I have a gem of a teacher. I don't like to part with my hard earned money either but I have found every cent of my Buddhist investment worth it myself.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

sidenote:
    Not all retreats cost a lot of money. Granted, the inexpensive ones aren't necessarily in a nice place like Tassajara. You can probably find small weekend meditation retreats if you live in a city with a decent Buddhist community; they'd most likely be held in a community centre or someone's basement or something to that effect.

I haven't been on a retreat yet, but I'd imagine that the structure of the retreat and the atmosphere would be more conducive to practice.

And as @Floating_Abu said, there's a lot of value to be found in a good teacher.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    A friend and I once decided to do an all-day sitting -- just the two of us. We began at about 6 a.m. in his living room. And we began as we began at the Zen center both of us attended ... with morning service chanting.

Everything was going fine until we got to a quite energetic chant -- The Kanzeon Ten-Clause Sutra -- which begins quietly and then gets louder and louder and faster and faster. Our only problem was that about halfway through, both of us got to laughing uncontrollably. We couldn't stop. There we were, a couple of dyed-in-the-wool, straight-arrow, strict-as-a-school-marm Zen students laughing until the tears ran down our faces. To this day, I don't know how we ever managed to stop. Each time one of us would serious up, the other would burst out laughing again.

How we stopped and how we made it to nine o'clock that night I'm not sure. It was a good day's sitting, but that laughter was certainly the highlight.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    This is a great idea! I was considering this. I will definitely try it! Thanks for reminding me!
  • Every two hours, my timer goes off. I stop doing what I do, and sit for ten minutes or so.

sidenote:
    In the sesshins I sat for 10 hours with the monks, I would never score that at home. Too much TV and food....Plus I have a gem of a teacher. I don't like to part with my hard earned money either but I have found every cent of my Buddhist investment worth it myself.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    It has nothing to do with money (??????).
    It has something to do with..
    Finding stuff inside yourself.

metta,
  • A friend and I once decided to do an all-day sitting -- just the two of us. We began at about 6 a.m. in his living room. And we began as we began at the Zen center both of us attended ... with morning service chanting.

Everything was going fine until we got to a quite energetic chant -- The Kanzeon Ten-Clause Sutra -- which begins quietly and then gets louder and louder and faster and faster. Our only problem was that about halfway through, both of us got to laughing uncontrollably. We couldn't stop. There we were, a couple of dyed-in-the-wool, straight-arrow, strict-as-a-school-marm Zen students laughing until the tears ran down our faces. To this day, I don't know how we ever managed to stop. Each time one of us would serious up, the other would burst out laughing again.

How we stopped and how we made it to nine o'clock that night I'm not sure. It was a good day's sitting, but that laughter was certainly the highlight.
    I like this story..
    Thank you..

I'm listening to Ahajn Brahm right now...
    He is making me laugh out loud with pure joy.

• @iamthezenmaster

Well I was responding to your initial words: "I really don't get it, why I need to pay a lot of money to do this somewere else..."

The meditation environment of monasteries and retreats have been much more focussed for me than I could ever be at home and my teacher's guidance valuable. That's my own experience.

• oke...understanable.
    But I just don't get it, still....:) Why they pay money for a retreat :)
    Without attaching judgment

guidance and teachers...sure.
    midnfullness is about being focussed everywere all the time,
    so in my humble opion it just doesn't matter were you are.

Besides. I'm a lay-practisioner...a monastery is an.....
    how to say this.
    escape from living in a society.
    The word itself says it;
    retreat.
    edited May 2012
    Money because bills need to be paid. That is how life works. Water, heating, food, shelter, painting walls, shower supplies, spoons, lighting.

Mindfulness needs to be cultivated. Retreats, in silence, builds up a strength that cannot be comparable to a daily 10 minute sit in my experience. Although daily sits for the lay person is of course good and part of our natural practice.

A monastery or a retreat environment is an opportunity for more intensive practice and cultivation, and with many other people usually so you can test your own practice.
    It is not an escape, it is a reality hit.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    @iamthezenmaster

Well I was responding to your initial words: "I really don't get it, why I need to pay a lot of money to do this somewere else..."

The meditation environment of monasteries and retreats have been much more focussed for me than I could ever be at home and my teacher's guidance valuable. That's my own experience.
    I think one of the main reasons is for a teacher/guide to watch over you and help you along your path.
  • I never met a teacher who could help me...
    the last munk I met was telling me all the stuff I allready knew.
    This is not vanity.
    So now I'm connceting the knowledge in my head,
    With my hart.
    This proces.
    Nobody can help me with that.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I never met a teacher who could help me...
    This is not vanity.
    With my hart.
    This proces.
    Beginner's mind
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I never met a teacher who could help me...
    This is not vanity.
    With my hart.
    This proces.
    Keep practicing, that is what is the most important thing.
    Also do not box yourself into being someone who can not meet a teacher who can help them ... or being any other label either.
    " It " will change, if we let it.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited May 2012
    *sigh*

REALLY gotta work on the speech thing.

Just can't seem to get my point acros.

:)
  • I think you are coming across clearly @iamthezenmaster but maybe what people say back does not sit so comfortably with you?

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Buddhism revers a hermits path for how it resembles the path of renunciation but there is one qualifier that the practising hermit should ask himself.

Freedom can mean being able meditate where ever you find yourself. The Buddha most often gave his monks objects of focus in meditation that were the complete opposite to that monks particular strength. Because a wheel is only as strong as its weakest spoke, training solely with our natural strengths has limited value. What I am really trying to say is that someone who is a natural extrovert can clearly benefit from a hermit path just like someone who is a natural hermit will usually benefit most from practising in the world.

Perhaps the return to school is really the perfect place for your meditation to roam.

Just a thought to consider..

• What most seem to forget is,
    Buddha was a self-made spiritual man.
    He did it on his own for most part.

What most seem to forget is,
    But we aren't the Buddha (although Mahayanists would say we have Buddha-nature, which I think is a different thing altogether) and that's why (many) Buddhists view him as the ultimate teacher/example.

One could also argue that he lived in a time with fewer causes for suffering, less conditioning from society that encouraged suffering, etc.

• What most seem to forget is,
    And you are comparing yourself to Buddha?
  • one of the biggest mistakes people make is making an almost mytthical figure out of the buddha.

he was just a man...who sat a long time under some tree and he reached a continious calm state of mind wich gave him the strength to deal with life.

nothing more. and nothing less.
  • @invincable_summer

we all have buddha nature inside of us.
    that makes all of us buddha.
  • @invincable_summer

Potentially .... that is !!

• agreed.
    but even tough we don't find the key to open the lock of ego.
    buddha nature still resides in us all.
  • one of the biggest mistakes people make is making an almost mytthical figure out of the buddha.

he was just a man...who sat a long time under some tree and he reached a continious calm state of mind wich gave him the strength to deal with life.

No I don't agree with your assumptions.

And whilst I respect your path, and how you choose to live it, I would not assume either that is the genuine Buddha way - or the full penetration of the Buddha's knowledge.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    edited May 2012
    one of the biggest mistakes people make is making an almost mytthical figure out of the buddha.

Even in the Pali Canon (the texts that are supposed to be the actual records attributed to Gautama Buddha), the Buddha is recorded to have had a supernatural birth and performed many supernatural feats.

Not that I believe he actually did those things (and many modern Buddhists don't), but the point that I'm trying to make is that he was certainly extraordinary, and the texts try to depict him as such with embellished language.

Not everyone achieves such a high level of attainment. That's why he's special, and "more" than a man, IMO.

Also, in Asia, the Buddha may be treated more as a deity, this is true. However, I wouldn't say that it's a "big mistake." That would be unskillful. If the myth/deification of the Buddha encourages people along their practice (which, personally, it does for me), then why denigrate it?
    @invincable_summer

agreed.
    but even tough we don't find the key to open the lock of ego.
    buddha nature still resides in us all.
    Just because there is Buddha-nature potential doesn't mean that we are all Buddhas.

A piece of bread has the potential to become part of a sandwich, but the bread alone isn't a sandwich - you have to do some preparation for it to become a sandwich.

You said it yourself - Siddharta Gautama was a man who sat under a tree for a long time to become a Buddha. If you follow the Mahayana line of thought, he probably had Buddha-nature as well, but he still had to sit.

• to each his own.
  • Just don't fool yourself :)
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited May 2012
    how do you know so sure...
    you are not fooling yourself..
    is there an exam for non-foolishness somewhere..?
    or a club one can join to be exclused from fools all around?
    is it something determined by birth, by gender, by age, by skincolour, by hair colour,
    or are you bald?

how do you know you are absolutely right?

• All my knowledge is provisional - this I know for sure - lol.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    iamthezenmaster,

May I ask you a sincere genuine question?

How old are you?
    And how many years have you been into Buddhism?

Namaste :-)
    edited May 2012
    how do you know so sure...
    you are not fooling yourself..
    is there an exam for non-foolishness somewhere..?
    or a club one can join to be exclused from fools all around?
    is it something determined by birth, by gender, by age, by skincolour, by hair colour,
    or are you bald?

how do you know you are absolutely right?

You can tell by getting good advice from teachers in genuine lineages.
    You can also tell by the feedback sensible, and well meaning people might give you.

A good fool proof way to assert your own truth is to only seek agreement/validation from yourself.

You might also ensure that key Buddhist teachings are fully penetrated - not through analysis or understanding because that is surely a fool proof way of being wrong. A good measure is also the genuine sense of compassion and openness one's heart might feel including to those whom might annoy you.

When you are the only one in agreement with yourself, this is usually a good sign you are off the beaten track.

etc etc.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    hey @ Floating_Abu
    When you are the only one in agreement with yourself, this is usually a good sign you are off the beaten track.

Yes, but a track that is well beaten only says that many folk have walked it before you.
    Shared delusion can create a beaten path just as much as anything else.
    loved the rest of the post though.
  • hey @ Floating_Abu

Yes, but a track that is well beaten only says that many folk have walked it before you.
    Shared delusion can create a beaten path just as much as anything else.
    loved the rest of the post though.
    Yes, " group think " amongst people can take hold to keep individuals in like minds.

• Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.
    African Proverb
  • How irrelevant!