Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A couple of basic questions...

edited June 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Just a couple basic questions, I did some research on the latter and couldn't find much on Buddhist teachings on the subject.

1 - I read that the current Dalai Lama is afraid of flying, is there any truth to that and does anyone know why?

2 - Interfaith relations - I've done some research on this (Christians and Muslims are allowed to intermarry through and exception dictated in the Quran) and have so far found no special "rules" for Buddhists. Is there any "rule" other than getting a blessing at a temple before the wedding? And if a blessing was recieved, would it be not allowed for a second wedding to take place in the customs of the other person? I know "conversion" is an option, but only if it's done based on free will.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2006
    gregc,

I'm not sure about other traditions of Buddhism, but in the Theravada tradition marriage is regarded as a civil contract, not as a spiritual or religious union. There are no "rules" in regards to marriage, and people are free to perform the marriage ceremony in any way, shape, or form they so choose. People often do get blessings and advice from the monastic community, but they are not something that is "required" for the couple to get married. For a little more information concerning the Theravadin view of marriage in general, the Ven. K. Sri Dhammananda's A Happy Married Life may be helpful.

:)

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Ditto for the Tibetan tradition. My teacher can legally marry people and will do so if they request it, but it's certainly not required, and people can marry whomever they choose. Generally though, it's been my experience that people who are sangha members marry other sangha members, probably because we're all so busy we don't know anybody else!

Sorry, never heard the one about the Dalai Lama. How does he get around from India to all the places he travels if he doesn't fly? Sounds like Chinese disinformation to me...

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    I've heard of him having a fear of flying. Actually, Rammstein made a song called "Dalai Lama" about having a fear of flying, which they said was based on him.
  • edited May 2006
    heh, I got the info from the Rammstein song (I'm a huge Rammstein fan) so I was wondering if there was any truth to it. It's a great song, the world "Komm hier, bleib hier, wir sind gut zu dir" have a mellow "chant" sound to them.

Thanks for the info about the marriage. I had a pleasant conversation with a friend tonight about having a spirit, and how the spirit makes all surface idealogies (race, nationality, relations etc...) superficial. How all humans are interconnected because at heart, we are nothing but a collective pool of spirits and how we have nothing to be offended by or hurt by in this life because we will start the next with a "clean slate", no one will hold any hate against us, nor will we against them, how we lose all attachment in our current life. Also, how we respond when asked what we are, being unable to tell accurately what we are without insight to our spiritual self (and therefore no knowledge), so when merely asked for a/s/l type information, reply : 2nd life/spirit/my sangha.
  • edited May 2006
    i think its ridiculous to disallow marriages based on religion.. but ppl do it.. i think this is more a muslim thing.. i do find it kinda ignorant how muslim women always talk bout marrying a good muslim.. makes very little sense to me.. and is annoying.. the kinda annoyingness that temporarily makes me wanna kill myself for around 3 seconds..

basing your entire relationships on religion or race/colour is ridiculous.. you could easily miss out and ruin your life by being so picky.. and thinking in that way

buddhism,muslim,catholic.. i mean w/e...

if it was me i'd just let my gf decide what marriage it was.. and id just accept w/e i had to do .. even if i had to be muslim 'officially' although obviously id be buddhist 'unofficially'

lol

besides marriage is a piece of paper and blokes seem to reeeaaly have the bad end of the stick in it.. its a disgrace that women have so much power in divorce in marriage compared to people who just have a relationship outside marriage..
    i view marriage as a very dodgy subject.. i dont think religion really belongs in it ecept maybe a subtle level.. i'e decoration..

joining 2 people together for life has little to do with religion in any shape or form at all... its a rule of course in religion but honestly.. athetists marry lol.. why should they have to go to the church?
    whats religious about it?

its more a matter of ethics, and being with 1 person..
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Does it worry you that HHDL is afraid of flying? Does it surprise you that anyone wise should be fearful of going up in the air in a tin can and at the whim of a human pilot whose allotted life-span may run out while you're up there? Even the incarnation of compassion must be limited in samsara.

For my part, I rejoice that HHDL fears, falls ill, gets old and still devotes his life to his people and all that live.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    :ot:I have just seen a programme featuring that new gigantic airbus, and i am totally flummoxed and damned if I know how they get such a huge beast off the ground ! :ot:

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/commercial/airbus380/index.html

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=29

OK...Apologies....
    back ON-TOPIC.....

Fear is not necessarily a bad feeling... we tend to focus on "Feel the Fear and do it anyway!" or "Just what is it really, that you ARE afraid of?" facing your fears, conquering your fears....

:skeptical

Fear's Companion might well be 'common sense'... teaching children that licking their fingers and then putting them near the socket, is something they should fear, and have a healthy respect for... many on the forum love cats, but a safari-ride doesn't include stroking the big kitty.....

Fear, book-ended by common sense and intelligence, is to be listened to.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006

For my part, I rejoice that HHDL fears, falls ill, gets old and still devotes his life to his people and all that live.

Hey, I bet there's a teaching there somewhere!

Palzang