Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Afraid to meditate

edited May 2012 in Meditation
I have long wanted to begin a meditation practice for many reasons but always put it off because I am afraid of the negative emotions I might experience while sitting. For the last two hours today I've thought about sitting, and have had the opportunity, but keep trying to occupy my mind with other things, like watching a movie or doing something else. I guess it comes down to me being afraid to finally sit in silence with myself and not like what I see. I'm afraid of feeling things that are always just beneath the surface. Any advice?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Try meditating naked...

But in all seriousness. The only way out is through.
    So face your fears. Face your negative emotions.
    I promise that you will survive.
  • "The only way out is through."

That really hits something in me. Thank you.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree with Taiyaki...just do it.

Or, perhaps you could try an intermediate step. Although I very occasionally do real meditation, what I do quite often in what I called a "focused thinking walk". I decide ahead of time what aspect of practice I want to think seriously about, then I go for a walk in a somewhat quiet place (it can actually help force concentration if it's not too quiet), and focus down on the topic I chose.
  • Don't be afraid @intothedreaming, just do it :)

_/\_
  • Thank you both for your encouragement.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "What if I go crazy?!"
    "What if I fall off the edge of the earth?"
    "What if I lose all my friends?"

Those with a little experience of meditation may snicker and scoff ... but I would say this is serious stuff and deserves respect. Not surrender ... just respect.

Who in their right mind isn't scared stupid by the irrationality of which they know they are capable? On the one hand there is a day-in-and-day-out desire to keep things together, to impress others with our control, or to look in the mirror without flinching. It's an old, old, old habit and meditation seems to threaten to break that habit. And perhaps it will ... or perhaps it won't.

The only way to find out if meditation is really as scarey as we imagine is to give it a whirl. Perhaps just for five minutes ... five minutes, once a day for a week. Just five minutes ... or if that seems to scarey, try three minutes.

Gently, firmly, respectfully ... try it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Often when you think meditation will be a burden, it turns out nice.
    Often when you think it will be nice, it turns out a real struggle.

So, fear is a bad advisor. Don't listen to it ;)
  • Try meditating naked...

After all isn't meditation better than Sex! Why not do it naked... :eek:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Are you under a doctor's mental care or taking mind altering medication?
    Please don't publicly answer that question.
    We of the meditative persuasion often suffer the hubris of thinking of meditation as nature's cure all for everything just because that was our experience.

Even if that first sentence does apply to you, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't meditate but there may be some more questions to ask before starting it.

Generally speaking, unless it's a specific guided meditation, nothing will arise within meditation that you are not capable of facing on your own. As you become willing to face something, it will just arise naturally and unfold. If you are not ready to face it, you will be just be practising sitting in a meditative posture until you can. Most forms of meditation are self regulating in terms of what arises and what you can deal with.

I liked the gentle entry suggestion of less threatening exploratory meditation sits until you get the feel for this new ride.

• I've often considered using Guided Meditations to get my feet wet, as it were. I feel like jumping in unattended would be like going too deep too quickly.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I will attempt to make some progress and share my experience with you.
  • DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Try meditating naked...

Are you guys sure you're not Jainist? :)
  • edited May 2012

What kinda meditation are *you* doing?! :lol:;)

• After all isn't meditation better than Sex! Why not do it naked... :eek:
    What kinda meditation are *you* doing?! :lol:;)
    The kind that brings a pure state of bliss...
    :om: Touch the void... but touch it lightly... :o
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I have long wanted to begin a meditation practice for many reasons but always put it off because I am afraid of the negative emotions I might experience while sitting. For the last two hours today I've thought about sitting, and have had the opportunity, but keep trying to occupy my mind with other things, like watching a movie or doing something else. I guess it comes down to me being afraid to finally sit in silence with myself and not like what I see. I'm afraid of feeling things that are always just beneath the surface. Any advice?
    One thing that might help is to realize that our brains aren't very good at hiding most things from us; in other words, any negative emotions you encounter in meditation, you are almost assuredly going to have encountered "outside" of meditation, say, during the waking, thinking state. Beyond that, if there are any (some would say) hidden emotions, you are almost guaranteed to have experienced them in a dreaming state. So I think you can hopefully take some comfort that in general, the brain has already shown (and is constantly showing) you its negative thoughts. There aren't many surprises.

One way to think of it might be this: you've already seen all your brain's negative and positive thoughts (to date); meditation allows you several things: 1) a different perspective on those same positive and negative thoughts, and/or 2) a rest from all this analytical thinking. Minds, like bodies, need rest; even when we are sleeping, often our minds are not resting, but busy at work dreaming.

Yet it doesn't have to be "rest" in the sense of immobility, either; it can be a very vivid, freeing of your thoughts. If you are completely weary, you might appreciate the calm stillness, like floating peacefully in water, comfortable and safe. Once your mind is better rested, you might appreciate what Sogyal Rinpoche describes as, "Sitting like a mountain, let your mind rise and fly and soar."

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    After all isn't meditation better than Sex!

It usually lasts longer...
    :D
  • It can be scary for someone who has not done it often. Those who have done it often wish they had more time to do it. Happiness is everything. The happier we make ourselves each day, adds up to a happy life. Meditation is how to bring that happiness to our lives each and every day. :)
  • Yupper, even when it hurts.
  • I think you're right about already being aware of the difficulties, as I don't expect any painful, repressed memories to break the surface. I guess a good example of what I am afraid of is this: I lost my best friend to suicide a few years ago and never grieved. I just pushed it down and felt that I needed to wait until I have the emotional strength to deal with it. It's still there, un-handled and un-dealt with, because I am never reaching this plateau of "enough" strength to confront it. I know it will rise to the surface while I'm sitting because it has completely altered my life, it's shaped me and allowed me to grow in different ways, and it's the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, so I limit how much of it I can feel at any one moment. Meditation, for me, would be sitting with the fear and looking it fully in the eyes, and that scares me.