Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Badges?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited May 2012 in NewBuddhist.com
I just got notices of a bunch of different "badges" I've been awarded here on NB (500 post badge, 1000 post badge, first post badge, etc.). Is this a new feature that was being installed and ran amok for a moment, or did I really win over half-a-dozen badges?

Has anyone else rec'd any badge notices?

Comments

• Yes no doubt this is a Buddhist Facebook in the making :wtf:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Gosh yes.... Lincoln warned about them this morning... take no notice, and don't get attached to them, I think he said...! :D
    It's 'personal achievements' stuff... Look along the top row of choices...
    "Best of"....
    @Dakini, you'll see you're running a close second... to me.....
    come on - catch up!! :lol:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Not really, because we don't have a "friending" feature. We used to, before the format change over a year ago. Does fb have badges?

Oh, thanks, Fede. haha--"don't get attached to them"--that's funny! :)

Wait, I'm not finding what you're referring to: "personal achievements", "top row of choices"? Was there a special thread?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Culturally, the logical response is:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
  • Not yet. Qype and all those review sites do to encourage people to write more and 'accumulate' more badges.

I remember kowtaaia refused to use the friending feature, he thought it was immature :)

Anyway I'm not enarmored but I guess that is my problem :)
  • Culturally, the logical response is:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
    :clap:
  • (rushes to check badges)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Wait, I'm not finding what you're referring to: "personal achievements", "top row of choices"? Was there a special thread?
    well there was, but it disappeared know not where.....

:scratch:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I discovered a forum recently that lists on each member's page, and totals, all the "likes". And the total appears on every post, below the member's name. So it becomes addictive, I believe it was designed to be addictive, to keep members active, and to keep the action on the board going. Obnoxious. Sinister, almost, in its manipulative quality.

I hope NB doesn't go that route.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Boy scouts of Buddhism.
  • yo yo yo, I got me a 2,500 comments badge yo, plus a 1 year badge!! lol, even though I have been here for more than a year :rolleyes:

I THOUGH I WAS SPECIAL! :bawl:
  • I hope NB doesn't go that route.
    Ditto. It cheapens the site IMO :D

I just got this by the way --

Mentioning someone in a discussion (like this: @Name) is a great way to encourage dialog and let them know who you’re talking to. +5 points

Please, can I be excluded from this business? :)
  • yo yo yo, I got me a 2,500 comments badge yo, plus a 1 year badge!! lol, even though I have been here for more than a year :rolleyes:

I THOUGH I WAS SPECIAL! :bawl:
    It says Ive been a member since 2006 but I aint got no year badge, thank God :eek:
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I got a "uniquely charming and well spoken" badge !? .....anyone else?

...seriously, there should be a "most re-editing due to lousy spelling " badge..
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I'm experimenting with some new Vanilla features. Yes, it's annoying about the initial flood of them. They'll be much slower after this initial rush to "catch up" with milestones you long ago passed.

Brian requested them so we can create some badges to recognize outstanding members and encourage the type of behavior we want to see here.

Just don't get attached to them! :p
  • You mean my badges are going to be taken away!!? Lol no I understand, this is a trial run guys, a trial run!
  • Yeah give me my 5 year badge now man
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I don't have any yet. Must be too cool for badges. :)
  • I prefer frequent flyer points.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Heh. As soon as I said that, I got 6.
  • I prefer frequent flyer points.
    LOL Me too! Me too :D
  • I don't have any yet. Must be too cool for badges. :)
    Heh. As soon as I said that, I got 6.
    Serves you right, Jase :p

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Oops...I got tons of badges, but now the "like" button has disappeared!
  • SileSile Veteran
    I gots no badges ;)
    since when has a God Emperor needed a badge....?

Edit;
    What are the six? Don't tell me, let me guess.....

Best God
    Best Emperor
    Best God Emperor avatar
    Best God Emperor seriously heavy frown
    Best God Emperor Mantle
    Best God emperor pink wig.

• SileSile Veteran
    WHOA - within 2 seconds of posting that, a bunch of emails came in saying I have badges!! This is spooky!!
  • Yeah they're watching :p
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Yes no doubt this is a Buddhist Facebook in the making :wtf:
    Uh... how?
  • Social media site, dude.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    I am holding out for a Dharmaville temple game. We choose the color of our monk's robe, help build the temple, get dharma points, accumulate merit by giving to other players holding begging bowls, etc.
  • :cool:
  • testing123
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    When you comment, it checks the number of comments you've made for the "Comments" badges. So, your first comment after I turned on the system will trigger all those badges.

Likewise, logging in is what triggers the "Anniversary" badges. You'll get badges for X number of years when you next log into the site.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I belong to another buddhist web site that was set up with the option of fellow members being able to give positive or negative votes on postings. Each member had an ongoing tally beside their avatar labeled "reputation" of all things. It seemed to be used by folks to really say if they liked or disliked the poster. I thought that the problem with it was that postings then tended to be written for approval rather than for honesty. Eventually the members just told the server to cancel that forum option.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Yay, finally!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I belong to another buddhist web site that was set up with the option of fellow members being able to give positive or negative votes on postings. Each member had an ongoing tally beside their avatar labeled "reputation" of all things. It seemed to be used by folks to really say if they liked or disliked the poster. I thought that the problem with it was that postings then tended to be written for approval rather than for honesty. Eventually the members just told the server to cancel that forum option.
    We will never set up a negative voting/negative karma system. That would be completely antithetical to community building. We will never have a mechanism by which someone can tell others how much they "dislike" somebody or something.
    how many you got, Brian...? :buck:

We will never set up a negative voting/negative karma system. That would be completely antithetical to community building. We will never have a mechanism by which someone can tell others how much they "dislike" somebody or something.
    yeah, I would hate that.......

:p :dunce:
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Achievements have been installed in NewBuddhist.com

Is there an hidden achievement on the most Buddha's in a post?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    um...is this badge thing getting a little out of control already? I think there must be a happy medium somewhere. Let's not overdo it. The thing is, a badge system can make people get compulsive about participating. It does tend to encourage attachment to posting. I dunno, gang... Let's think about this before we leap into it.

Or is it already a fait accomplis?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Social media site, dude.

I know what Facebook is, but I don't see how badges makes NB anything like FB.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    ok, I just looked up my anniversary badge, and I see there's a page listing my badges, and also listing others who have anniversary badges. That's nice, I like the communal atmosphere surrounding that.

Except I've been here for over a year-and-a-half now, but I guess the admin is playing catch-up with the badges. The anniversary one is nice, kind of like a forum birthday party. :)
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Oh, we'll get tired of playing with them after a day or so.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Oh, we'll get tired of playing with them after a day or so.
    So cheery. You remind me of Eeyore.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Hm, I have no badges...

Edit: Whoa... like magic, they just appeared....
  • I'm a badges liking status whore.
  • edited May 2012
    How many badges does it take to achieve enlightenment?
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    How many badges does it take to achieve enlightenment?
    That is when you get all the achievements:
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    It is a reward system for being opinionated and thick skinned... :D
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    In the army, you would beat your chest and declare in a manly voice, "Badges maketh the man".

Unfortunately on this forum I've only got two of them, for time served. :bawl:
    Cloud