Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

edited May 2012 in Diet & Habits
I'm a semi-active member of this forum. What you're about to read may sound like an ad or some spam, but people here can vouch for me when I say I'm not and I'm actually trying to write something positive and maybe have an interesting discussion. This comment was made after writing what's bellow because I know what you're about to read looks like.

I've been trying to quit smoking for two years. I've achieved some really hard things but nothing has compared to having to live your regular day of boredom, stress and problems whilst having a nicotine craving. I've gone 3-4 days without a cigarette and not only does it make them miserable and emotional, but it turns me into an absolute prick. I've been on gum, will power, pills, sprays, patches, hobbies, fake cigarettes, etc. Meditation helps the cravings go away, but as soon as I'm back to real life it may be an hour or two before they come back with a vengeance. I've used 3 different books by people like Alan Carr (not the comedian) and even considered shelling out for a hypnotherapist to try and make withdrawal pains more manageable.

My sister who's quite... heavy... I will say.... bought a book by a cheesy TV hypnotist called Paul McKenna who uses neuro-linguistic programming which you can read about on wikipedia. She lost 20lbs in two weeks and she's the kind of person who wont get off her fat arse and do anything and she still doesn't, she still eats total junk too. You can say what you want about him being a money grubber or NLP being a load of pseudo-scientific crap, but I started reading his quit smoking book a month ago and three days later I haven't smoked since. I had maybe a few withdrawal symptoms in some really annoying situations, but other than that, I smoked three cigarettes on the third day of doing the book nearly a month ago, and threw the remaining 7 in the bin and just didn't want to smoke them any more. Free from nicotine.

I bought his book about sleep and as a life long restless sleeper who can't doze off and often has broken sleep and wakes up a few times in the night (not apnea related) I've been sleeping deeper and waking up feeling fantastic. To me, a full night of deep sleep is a rare accomplishment. I don't know what to think about it. I've read and been told that NLP is a load of crap and doesn't work. But in the space of days I've managed to give up one of the hardest habits and fix a life long sleeping problem.

There's a lot of skepticism on the internet, but for some reason it's working for me.

I was wandering what any of you thought about NLP or it's practitioners?

Comments

• skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Personally, I prefer evidence based therapy. But your story is interesting and I'm eager to see how it unfolds so keep us posted!

Good luck!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I love NLP! You really have to know what you are doing, it doesn't always work for everyone, or even for the people who call themselves "professionals." But it is definitely worth looking into, if one uses it properly. There is definitely ways to misuse it, as there is with anything else.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Sagat, I go with whatever works. I don't care how crazy something may sound, if it gets results, more power to you.

Now...about the sleep book. Is there a CD that comes with that? How does the book work? I need help, help me please. I recently tried a CD, but it actually made the quality of my sleep worse. A friend of mine said she slept 9 hours after listening to the CD one night, but on me, it doesn't work. It's just fairly ordinary hypnosis with some subliminal messages recorded on a second track.

So, tell me more, please. And congrats on breaking the smoking habit!! :thumbsup:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @LeonBasin Please elaborate! How can it be misused, what should I be warned about, if I try it?
  • edited May 2012
    Sagat, I go with whatever works. I don't care how crazy something may sound, if it gets results, more power to you.

Now...about the sleep book. Is there a CD that comes with that? How does the book work? I need help, help me please. I recently tried a CD, but it actually made the quality of my sleep worse. A friend of mine said she slept 9 hours after listening to the CD one night, but on me, it doesn't work. It's just fairly ordinary hypnosis with some subliminal messages recorded on a second track.

So, tell me more, please. And congrats on breaking the smoking habit!! :thumbsup:
    There is a CD that comes with the book. Funnily enough, the CD has been put on youtube. There aren't any other of his recordings on youtube except the sleeping one.

The book has exercises that are all pretty basic and simple. It's not all deep heavy stuff that goes into your past and analyses why you can't sleep. It's all focused on the now and it's surprisingly helpful. Try the recording I've posted about an hour before you go to bed. It takes a few days for it to kick in and work properly. I started listening on a Tuesday and I didn't go out that Friday night. I stayed home and got 9 hours of some of the best sleep I've ever had. I wasn't sure if I was mad because I missed a night out or if I was pretty damn relaxed and rested for the first time in a long time.

The book is in the vein of a regular self-help book.

The trance on that recording is pretty easy. For me, I just lay on my bed and relax and listen to it. The trance isn't quite as deep as meditating, but the fact that you and I have experience meditating makes using it easier.

Give the recording a try. The CD is better than the book, but by not using the book, it may make the effects take longer. Try it for a few days. You said that the CD you used made your sleep worse, but this CD isn't about subliminal messages, it's more like guided meditation

Again, guided meditation is what I had to do to get started last year when I properly started meditating. I'm assuming you've been meditating for a lot longer than me and haven't needed to be guided, so it might work for me better.

I'm no expert on hypnosis. I got really excited about this because like I said, I've broken two extremely annoying habits in a short time without much effort, so that's all I have to go on.
  • Ok, so how does it work?

I'm revving up to maim, if not kill, my bad habits (cigarettes, pot, soda, energy drinks) pretty soon... It's a matter of getting myself into the correct mindset & having my defenses ready... cuz this is gonna be a bitch.

So, seriously: How does it work? What is it altering?

Details!! :)
  • Ok, so how does it work?

I'm revving up to maim, if not kill, my bad habits (cigarettes, pot, soda, energy drinks) pretty soon... It's a matter of getting myself into the correct mindset & having my defenses ready... cuz this is gonna be a bitch.

So, seriously: How does it work? What is it altering?

Details!! :)
    For example, one of the exercises tells you to smoke and all the time, think about a repulsive taste or smell and make that taste/smell as disgusting and vivid as possible. It worked for me because it made every drag I made on a cigarette associate the taste and smell with that bad one.

When I've tried to quit smoking before, it's the stress and anxiety that gets to you the most. You lay back, you focus on times and feelings of relaxation. You picture the most relaxing pictures and sounds in your head as vividly as possible. When you are totally relaxed, squeeze your middle finger and thumb of your right hand together. Then repeat this until squeezing those fingers together gives you the feeling of relaxation.

That's a very vague description, but that's basically it.
  • I'm using one about confidence. I figured that I'd give it a shot because I'm not going to get more confident by myself.

This book's a little harder. I'm already stuck on the first exercise.

It's a pretty standard NLP kind of exercise which I found in the sleep and smoking book, but I can't really do this one.

The exercise:

Imagine a more confident you standing in front of you. Step out of your body and into the body of this more confident you. See through their eyes and hear through their ears. Feel the confidence and how good it feels.

Then you notice an even more confident you standing in front of you. Step into this slightly more confident you. See through their eyes, etc...

It goes on another two times until you get an 'extremely confident you'. This is a pretty standard NLP exercise and the same kind of thing I got in the others, but I don't know how to do it.

The problem with this is that I've never felt all that confident. I'm not sure what having more confidence feels like. I can't seem to find the feelings that having more confidence gives and it requires me to. None of this one seems to be working because I don't have any past experiences to compare it to.
  • @sagat Hm. Tried that once before, but you're right.. the stress & anxiety got me. Again. Lol

Sure you have confidence! It's in you. Just an unexercised "muscle"!

Pick 1 thing that you're really good at: job, hobby, dishes.. doesn't matter what, but something that you KNOW inside & out.

Now, pretend that you're teaching someone to do that thing. Head up, shoulders back, speaking (out loud) in a solid "I know this" tone. (Not quite the "I'm all that & a bag of chips" tone... but almost.)

Out loud, teach. Out loud, share your knowledge, answer "questions", & do a damn fine job of teaching your pupil because only YOU know how to do this 1 thing.

Sounds silly, right? Good. Laugh out loud, full bellied gut-laugh -- not cuz what you're doing is stupid, but because a good loud laugh helps you loosen up. Confidence requires bending-like-reed. ;)

Try it :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The problem with this is that I've never felt all that confident. I'm not sure what having more confidence feels like. I can't seem to find the feelings that having more confidence gives and it requires me to. None of this one seems to be working because I don't have any past experiences to compare it to.
    "Whether you think you can,
    or whether you think you can't - you're right."

Henry Ford.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This is the one I have. I don't go into trance. I'm not very susceptible to hypnosis. This one makes my sleep worse, but I'll give it a try here on the internet.