Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

RV Living – A step toward a minimalist lifestyle

2»

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

I live a comfortable life.

I eat well.

I drink good wine in moderation.

I fly Business Class.

I stay in 5* Hotels...

And I could walk away from that anytime..seriously.

Can you walk away from self- imposed poverty ?

Its not the lifestyle...its the clinging.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I would gladly walk away from the circumstance - imposed poverty I find myself submerged in right now. But when Life throws you a curve-ball, all you can do is wield that bat like some crazy thing, and go for it....
    It is what it is.
    And sometimes, it's not a case of being able or unable to walk away from it. Sometimes it's a case of "here's your daily helping of crap. Deal with it."

• CittaCitta Veteran

I would distinguish between that and self-imposed poverty @federica.

Self imposed poverty sees poverty as romantic...which is not at all appealing to someone like me who was born into REAL poverty in post-war Britain, and who sees nothing noble or virtuous about it.

federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Poverty in Britain is a shameful and disgraceful 'reality'. We're supposed to be one of the most advanced countries in the West, and we still have the homeless and the hungry. It's a disgusting state of affairs and really should not exist.

Sorry. Rant over.
    You're quite right about this self-imposed romantic ideal of meagre minimalist living.

Oh, Puh-leese!!

• robotrobot Veteran

2 guys in a 3m x 4m space for 5 months. Pretty minimalist around here. Not to worry, we can catch up on our rampant consumerism in the fall.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Some people just are happier with less, I don't think it makes them romantic about it. It just is, like everything else. Though I'm not sure living in a vehicle is all that minimalistic. It is compared to average, but if you are traveling around a lot, there is a lot of gas cost and maintenance, and it's not necessarily any more environmentally friendly that someone who lives in a house.
    We have a comfortable living, we have a decent house, 2 cars, plenty of food and clothing and pets, and some extras like camp for the kids and maybe a vacation.
    But it's uncomfortably too much for me. It is what it is, but I do look forward to being able to downsize to something more like a cabin. Just my preference.

Zenshin