Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

RV Living – A step toward a minimalist lifestyle

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I don't have the skills or type of education required to earn a living while living in an RV. If I came into enough money to allow me to do so though I would love living life out of an RV. I wish you luck on your efforts and am a bit jealous. :thumbsup:
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    My wife and I have talked about this... I could do it, but I think she is too attached to her "stuff" right now. I was raised on a houseboat which is the same concept. It was great to untie the boat and spend some time down the river, exploring and just having fun.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited May 2012
    RV are really expensive here, is more cheap buy a house, and I mean a good new house.

Anyways I love that kind of life, place to place, maybe some day.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    My brother lives on a houseboat. He maintains it's the best thing he has ever done. He had to shed and shift so much stuff, and he's thrilled, and feels so much 'lighter' in every way possible....

I watched a programme many, many years ago, (How I WISH I could see it again!) about what they call "Silver Nomads" in Australia - retired people who spend their entire lives just travelling round Australia, quite literally, going from camp site to camp site, year in, year out, touching home base merely once in a while - Some of the stories are still with me....
    A man with a chronic heart condition, advised by his doctor to keep travelling and enjoying the outdoor life, because the only time his condition grew worse was when he returned home for his annual check-ups and tests.....
    A trio of women (questionable sexuality - :D!) who had been together as friends for years - one did the cooking and cleaning, one was responsible for maintenance (sewing, repairing, knitting, making...) and the third - built like a brick out-house - was responsible for the RV maintenance. She imparted a fabulous piece of advice - wherever you are, wherever you go, when it comes to your vehicle, check the POWER. Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber. If those are all ok, you're good to go. Brilliant....
    A criminal psychiatrist who had a complete mental breakdown, lost his wife, became estranged from his family, but found himself by packing all his belongings into a car, until eventually, via a process of voluntary elimination, he was left with a motorbike, a backpack and a hessian tarpaulin, and everywhere he went, (by now, well-known on the Silver Nomad circuit) he would leave something behind as excess baggage... he did odd jobs for his living, and was absolutely and utterly content....

If you can do it, why not just - do it....?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I am a minimalist by nature but try to be respectful of whatever possessions are currently in my care. If I find a better home for any of them...They are gone.To what degree are we all talking about renunciation?
  • This is a really cool article, and you seem to have done a lot of research. This might be a problem of the past, but I have heard and read that RVs get terrible gas milage, making it rather expensive to travel cross country. Have there been any advancements in the technology to help reduce this problem?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    To what degree are we all talking about renunciation?
    Good point, a person could be just as attached to an RV or boat as a house. And there is no need to fill up a house with stuff just because there's more room.
    For me simplicity is the key, because the more possessions and services we acquire the more time and energy we have to spend maintaining them and paying for them.
  • I think the problem is never the object, it's all in the mind. People throw all sorts of things but they don't realise maybe that the old saying 'Wherever you go there you are' is ultimately true.

BW,
    Abu
    Citta
  • I've been living in my RV for a year now. My husband and I both work online, which allows us freedom to travel.

It was super hard moving in, though! I had to get rid of all of my furniture, all of my clothes... I definitely found out how materialistic I was. But I'm really happy now; I love living with only what I really need. It makes me think more about needs versus wants.

Our RV gets 16 miles to the gallon, can fit in a normal parking spot, and has solar panels on top. I joke the if the zombie apocalypse comes, we'll be set.
    jae
  • How do you work online, KayleeKakes?

Is it expensive to run an RV . how do you balance your needs and income?
  • Davidourself A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I really like that article, thanks for sharing.

I've thought about this a couple of times and it's a serious option 2 or 3 years down the road. I like the idea of having nature as the livingroom and solar/electric power. I'll have 2 electric bicycles as they don't take up alot of space and take a minimum charge to run.

On second thought it may take a bit longer than that as I do not work online.
  • How do you work online, KayleeKakes?

Is it expensive to run an RV . how do you balance your needs and income?
    It's actually much less expensive than rent for us to live in an RV. I think the most expensive thing about it is gas money, but then, we don't drive that much - we'd rather bike. We're parked at a great place right now, that's about ten minutes from downtown. As for upkeep, an RV doesn't really need that much more care than any other car. Ours is built on a Toyota, and we treat it as any other car - changing the oil periodically and whatnot.

Both I and my husband work at our online game, but he also does freelance work, he's a great computer programmer. As for needs, we never really get tired of each other. If we want alone time, we go for a bike ride or hang out outside.

And I love how I can't accumulate a bunch of stuff, and how it only takes me ten minutes to clean everything. We even live with two kitties, and they're happy as could be. No room for dogs, though, but I definitely want some in the future.

• Ahh yes the wonder of computing skills - highly versatile, sometimes I wish I could programme

Thanks for the answer, KayleeKakes !
  • "Arthurbodhi on 29 May 2012 ~ 3:23am said:
    RV are really expensive here, is more cheap buy a house, and I mean a good new house.

Anyways I love that kind of life, place to place, maybe some day."

I'm not sure where you live but here in the US, RV's are substantially cheaper than good houses in good neighborhoods.
    Buying an RV off the lot new is very expensive (just like buying a car it loses nearly 1/2 it's value soon as you drive it off the lot). Using the internet I have found some of those $50,000 and up rigs sell for $15-25k. (finance that for 10 yrs comes puts the payment to around $300.00/month, I pay nearly a $1000.00/month in rent at moment) I don't have the finances arranged yet to actively check them out, but I've read enough to know buying one used is far more feasible and economical than getting a new one. This is one of those things that takes patience to find what is right for each person.
    Campsites rental are the other main concern in this part of budgeting. However even that can vary from free to 100+/day. Right now I am just looking to get things set up with the budget I am already living in ($1000.00/month). After we are in one then I will work on the ways to minimize the variable expenses involved, like campsite, gas, electric costs, maintenance. My goal is to keep the RV payment below $400/month. This certainly is a work in progress method to reduce everything slowly. Keep in mind I will be eliminated or trading out other expenses such as my current renter's insurance and car insurance (both required) will be replaced with insurance for full time RV'ing insurance & insurance for a moped (the initial quote I've gotten indicate it will be about half the cost).
    Also since I plan on purchasing a moped outright, my car payment will be eliminated, and petro (gas) use for routine things, like dr. appts. away from the campsite will go down because of moped. All the stuff in the vicinity of where we are camping we will have bikes, and legs to do.
    There are many trade off/solutions in expenses like this. Still even though I can see it in writing, I am a little concerned that it won't actually end up being that way.

I know it will feel good knowing that what I am doing will directly benefits me, the ones I love, and those around me. And all the potential benefits to my son are just too numerous to go over, but it seems that all parties involved with his life from Drs, his dad, other family members, even schools agree this provides him with the most opportunity to substantially change and improve things for him.
  • Ahh yes the wonder of computing skills - highly versatile, sometimes I wish I could programme

Thanks for the answer, KayleeKakes !
    There are actually a lot of things that can be done while living in an RV, one of the links I put up has some very creative solutions on economics. It isn't CEO work, but if a person wanted some suggestions there is tons of ideas out there.

I personally do transcription work. So my work is very mobile like Kaylee, I just need to periodically get to the internet, (so I can download my audio/projects then upload them when I get them complete) and a good computer set up. I also would like to start earning a degree in Nutritional Science, something that I can also do via an online college.
    Quite honestly being attached to/caring for my son 24/7 gets in the way of me doing much in the way of earning money, or getting educated (as it is I get maybe 2-3 hours a few days a week to work), so my availability to grow and do those things will open up. I would love to be near a lake or something so he could go out skip rock, play in the dirt, hike a trail with the dog, or fish for a couple hours or visit his dad when we are near him... the list goes on of potential things safe and healthy things to busy him with... so that I can work on the two things I would like to accomplish more steadily. Another purchase I will be making is for a good pair of walkie talking ($100.00) with a 20 mile radius so I maintain contact with him when he goes out exploring. Here in our apartment, there is nothing for him to do but play video games (which can be noisy and causes other issues), or he is constantly asking me to take him to the pool or for a bike ride or this or that. (It's complicated why I have to be with him 24/7 but it's the way society around us has demanded it be basically, and very unhealthy in my opinion.)

My reasons and ways of handling things aside, this life style is so extremely varied, there are solutions out there for any situation and anyone, they just have to research their specific needs.

• I am a minimalist by nature but try to be respectful of whatever possessions are currently in my care. If I find a better home for any of them...They are gone.To what degree are we all talking about renunciation?
    In my mind that would be completely personal choice. Given 1 that you can get a huge bus (some are very expensive, upstairs, downstairs, hot tubs, sunken garden tubs, culinary kitchens ....) that can hold a lot of stuff. Or you can get a modest or smaller unit and rent a storage unit for anything that you don't want/need to have on board the rig.

I personally intend on going with a modest rig under 30ft (so that we can go to the many state parks, as many of them do not have facilities to handle bigger rigs and the bigger rigs do cost you more for the campsite.). That means I will be renting a storage space for the boxes of photos and nic nacs (like maps and papers we have accumulated from sightseeing, only have value to me and my family). All my big furniture with the exception of a couple sets of shelves to put the boxes on will be sold (to help with transition costs) or donated in the end to get rid of them. I never have been one to keep around clutter, the most expensive piece of furniture I own it the $2500 Cal king bed that I really can't wait to get rid of because it's too big. The hardest things I might have issue giving up is all my kitchen stuff. I once had a business where I sold some kitchen products, I got into it because I love their products so much, but now that my family has shrunk to just me and my son (for the most part), I don't need all that stuff, so most of it has sat unused in my cabinets far too long. I can really use any fund I get from selling these things certainly will be helpful in purchasing and transitioning to the RV life style.
    When evaluating each thing I own and whether to store or sell, I ask myself what will be worth something to my kids and grand kids. I sometimes ask my kids if they would like me to keep it for the, but really mostly I think, why would I want to stay in my current situation just so I can have things, where both my son and I are very unhappy? When I can sell those things and make our lives much happier, relaxed, and meet the extreme needs both of us have that aren't being met right now.

• I don't have the skills or type of education required to earn a living while living in an RV. If I came into enough money to allow me to do so though I would love living life out of an RV. I wish you luck on your efforts and am a bit jealous. :thumbsup:
    Skills? I am told I am "mechanically inclined" and grew up on a farm so I guess kind of don't understand what skill it takes. In my way of thinking, anyone that can read can learn any skill, and heck now days with internet there are a lot of videos on just about anything you dream of you want to learn.
    As I tell my kids all the time, learn to read because if you can read well then you can learn about or to do anything else in the world that you want.
    BTW, I have dyslexia :P
    You can do it you just have to really want it enough, and search for the acceptable solutions to what's holding you back. :) In this world money will always be an issue question is are you happy with where you are spending it? Or can you allocate it in a different ways an so make your life happier, even if you are making less?
    I personally don't care to have millions of dollars, as long as my kids and my tummies are full and have a safe, sheltered place to sleep I am happy. All the rest won't matter when I am gone anyway. I am certain my kids will value the good quality time they had with me over any material thing I leave behind as well. Playing video games in an apartment while I fuss at them to get their school work done, try to get my work done, and keep the house tidy (because they were bored so made a mess), is not a memory they will cherish later. Going out and catching a weird bug in a jar though while I work, then researching it together, is a memory beyond an monetary value.

I don't feel particularly skilled at anything, but I am curious and don't mind researching to learning, practicing and making mistakes, it's very enjoyable to me to learn something new.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited May 2012
    It sounds awesome.

I had a kind of utopian vision years ago of a hi-tech nomadic society where cities were based on floating populations rather than permanent residents - like some Native American societies. It was based on the idea that we evolved to be nomadic, to follow the herds of beasts and the seasons of fruit and fine weather, and on the idea that that a lot of human stress might be caused by living in a static environment/routine where we build up resentments, attachments and boredom.

It's interesting that the Buddha's way came from an ancient tradition of wandering monks, and that certain Native American spirituality, arising from another nomadic culture, has a lot in common with Buddhism.
    What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

~ Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing! Great stuff! Thought about it, I think when I get older and save a little, but I will definitely consider this for 1 month to a year.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    It sounds awesome.
    What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

~ Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Luv it.
    A Buddhist's version of
    a bubble in a stream, a phantasm, a dream.
  • As are even the shiniest of RVs, it must be said.
  • And my hopes for a good night's sleep, after drunken people have returned to my apartment with their horrible high spirits and giggling :grumble:

;)
  • Thanks @MsJeni for sharing that, and the ideas. I don't think a RV lifestyle is for me personally but I love the idea of freedom and being able to work freely, whilst supporting my family.

Thanks again and best wishes,
    Abu
  • I follow a bunch of blogs of fellow fulltimers, here are some links if anyone's interested!

http://ramonacreel.com/
    sparklingadventures.com
    http://livinginmycar.com/blog/
  • RV living is a step towards minimalism in one sense. In another sense it is very far from minimalism.
    Live in an RV and you are living inside a machine.
    The technologies involved in creating and running an RV include enormous mines and smelters for the metals. Vast factories which build the vehicles. Fleets of trucks and ships to get the materials and chemicals from A to B. A staggeringly large and horribly polluting petrochemical industry to fuel the things. The exploitation of the third world for resources. And it also involves going to war and killing people for oil.
    It may well be a less complex lifestyle than a settled life in a house or city. But don't kid yourself that it's sustainable or free of negative karma. You'd still be complicit in both harming the earth, and hurting other people.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Too much. Far too much.
    I think if you took every thought process to that extreme, you'd end up suffocating yourself in order not to take someone's share of breathable air.

Kamma is a personal matter, and we cannot sit and follow every single action right down to its Nth degree, because otherwise, we would go insane, and this is from the Buddha's "mouth", not mine. we cnnot sit and evaluate every possible permutation - can't be done.
    And the Buddha - by virtue of his very instruction - doesn't want us to tie ourselves up in knots that way, thanks....
    all we can do is be mindful of our immediate input and of how skilful it is, and do our best.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    RV living is a step towards minimalism in one sense. In another sense it is very far from minimalism.
    Live in an RV and you are living inside a machine.
    The technologies involved in creating and running an RV include enormous mines and smelters for the metals. Vast factories which build the vehicles. Fleets of trucks and ships to get the materials and chemicals from A to B. A staggeringly large and horribly polluting petrochemical industry to fuel the things. The exploitation of the third world for resources. And it also involves going to war and killing people for oil.
    It may well be a less complex lifestyle than a settled life in a house or city. But don't kid yourself that it's sustainable or free of negative karma. You'd still be complicit in both harming the earth, and hurting other people.
    I think Jamethegiant is only saying and I do agree.."look clearly at what we are doing". Not advocating for Jain Sainthood.. Just try to imagine how our children will look at our leavings in a world 40 years from now. When I wonder how folks thought slavery or a lack of emancipation or etc.etc..was OK in the past, I see people in the near future
    wondering about how we could have gone along with what Jamethegiant was posting about.
    In much the same way we look at how our forefathers left the world for us then. 2 world wars and he invention of the nuclear bomb, we are working in a period where we advance with one step and go back with the other, but i believe we're getting better at evaluating consequences.
    There is a better distribution and diffusion of information at our fingertips and corruption, exploitation and wrongdoings are far more open to exposure than ever before.
    "People who would like to change the world should begin with a small garden,"
    "Think global, act Local" and "Dear God please change the world; Begin, I pray thee, with me" are all salient dictums which spring to mind.
    Before we can truly make a difference 'out there' it's important to make sure that 'in here' is straightened out, first.

In my view, that is. :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    As are even the shiniest of RVs, it must be said.
    I do like shiny things though... :p
    edited June 2012
    I'm not sure about RV living as 'Buddhist practice'. It sounds more like a product promotion.

I'd like one though. But I'd like an iphone and I really can't call them Buddhist. And most of our stuff gets made by people working long hours for peanuts in horrendous safety conditions.
    edited June 2012
    Camco make most of their parts in America, a quick round of research has informed me. All the main companies are U.S., Canada or Europe based. I may be wrong about my kneejerk third world wageslave assumptions. Actually seems to be a U.S. industry that could use support.

And they could definitely give one the space and peace to meditate more effectively. I guess I just don't like Buddhism being absorbed into the lifestyle industry - you know?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I have been on a few rv trips, but I don't think I could live in one especially in an area with any sort of severe weather. We have -40F winters here, and you can't even use an RV in weather like that, for the winters here they drain all the fluid lines and fill them with antifreeze (my dad has an rv). Plus, we have 3 kids, so to live in an RV it probably would cost more than our house. I'd rather have a smaller house, more along the lines of a small cottage. Right now we live in a 4 bedroom house that cost around $90k. It's bigger than what I'd like for sure, but it's hard to manage 3 kids otherwise. Eventually our goal is to be as close to fully self sufficient as we can. I know people here who only come into town for supplies 1-2 times a year and supply for themselves all the rest of the time. I love the tiny houses and would love to have one for my husband and I, when the kids are grown.
  • You "enlightened" buddhists are such a crock of s#*t. An RV exemplifying Buddhist values. About right, as an RV is the most soulless invention ever created by man.
    Bunks
  • Buddhists don't believe in "souls," so your comments are high-praise, Steve. :)
    :thumbsup:

Quite!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I should share, that one friend of mine who's black, said she's always known buddhists don't believe in soul. You ever watch one trying to dance.
  • Had to read that twice before I got it, but yeah, lol.
    I should share, that one friend of mine who's black, said she's always known buddhists don't believe in soul. You ever watch one trying to dance.
    :D

• I wonder if there are any "you should train thus" passages about a minimalized lay-lifestile in the palicanon.
  • What about

" It's o.k. to have a lot, but don't forget to share. "

?
  • My wife and I are fulltime RV'ers. We love the freedom that it gives us to live where we want to live and do what we want to do.
    We are also workkampers, which means we work at an RV campground or State Park and get our lot rent and utilities in exchange for a set amount of hours a week (usually around 16-24). This means we work the campground (cleaning or ???) and we live for free (other than food and fuel, insurance, etc). When we are ready to go, we pack everything up and head down the road. Kinda like a turtle, we have our house on our backs. We love it and it fits our lifestyle.
    Bunksjae
  • Haven't been able to get on here for quite some time. There are some pretty interesting comments and points of views. Just to clarify, I was not attempting to sell anyone on the RV life style. This article was written from my perspective. This most certainly isn't some thing for everyone.
    For me and my son, I feel it is a good choice for us. We don't have a lot nor do I care to have more than what we do. We have ample.
    Since moving into a city environment many years ago after growing up on a mountain in Oklahoma, city life and it's negativity (imo) has taken a toll on my inner peace. With the lose of that connection to nature, it has also taken a toll on my health. I simply feel better internally when I have constant exposure to nature. My son has never experienced life outside of a major metropolitan area, it will be interesting to see if this connection to nature exists in him as well and helps him with his special needs. Just the sound of birds, crickets, wind ... getting back closer to nature is my hope. In a sense that can be linked with Buddhism, but I am not trying to say it is a part Buddhist practice, just that is can help, but that really depends on the individual.
    Me personally, I could probably move to a shack or even fabricate a shelter of sorts in the middle of a mountains and be content and happy. My son on the other hand has had all these things, non-essentials, he is depend upon the in his mind. So this is a place in between total roughing it and city dwelling. As it says in the article's title, this could be steps towards a minimizing, not that it is.
    I would also like to suggest what one persons interpretation of RV living is can be very much different from another persons. I do not plan on being in areas at the times they have severe cold or hot, but there are some people that do that. There are people that stay mainly to the luxury parks, some that stay in very mountainous areas with no facilities what-so-ever, some only use their RV for family vacations, other have lived in one for years. This is a very individualize experience. However if I can show my son in some way he doesn't need all these material things and life can be wonderful with less then maybe he will see how to find some inner peace.

BTW, I do not owe an Iphone, Ipad, nor do I subscribe to cable TV, and I don't eat a lot of fast food. I don't even like to use our microwave for anything but defrosting. I love food cooked over a flame, and grilled 5 out 7 days a week when we lived in areas that allowed it. Only real modern luxuries we use are internet computer and one cell with a basic plan in case of emergency. I don't like the cell, but I am required to have it for reasons I don't care to put on here. I do like having a roof over my head, a comfy bed to sleep in at night, and being able to talk people/research things via the internet. I am a pretty simple person as it is, but I still feel my life is to negative and complex. My kids are out of place with the average city kid because well they were raised by me. So as long as people think things are more important than people then I need to help my kids find other ways to get inner peace. I don't know if this will do that or not, but I am going to try it, only experiencing it will be the true test (which to my understanding is very basic to Buddhism).

Anyway, I hope everyone finds their own unique way to inner peace.
  • Hi, MsJeni,
    Just to clarify, I was not attempting to sell anyone on the RV life style.
    Sorry, I was too cynical. Your life sounds like it has wide horizons, and I think living that way can certainly be Buddhist practice.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    MsJeni said:
    Personally I am moving towards a maximalist lifestyle. I find minimalism too much bother and worry.
    I can do without the necessities of life as long as I can have the luxuries.

personkarmabluesTosh
  • We're starting this phase now.. Still in the house, going through our haves to narrow it down to our needs.. the RV is going through financing.. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! <3
    robotBunks
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited January 2014
    This is my fantasy: by 2020 cars will be able to drive themselves. Then I will be nearing retirement. Imagine, you go to sleep in the motor home in Taos and wake up in bed in Dallas!
    Then, when I die , my motor home can be programmed to take me on a farewell tour of my relatives. They might not be interested until they learn I'll be revealing my will ( supposing there is anything left) as I "visit." Motor home living, and perhaps dying, is very appealing to me.
    If I had the means, I could continue traveling indefininitely: living or dead!
    Can you imagine the possibilities for those whom like to caravan: to travel in groups.
    "Oh, " you might overhear," you don't want to join that group of campers, that group is dead..."
    Yes dead.... But still loving life! Don't forget, someone, check the air in my tires.
    VastmindBunks
  • I spent the last week living out of tent in the Arctic, boiling my own water, and barely sleeping. Absolute drudgery. I like nice things, warm showers, and high ceilings (I'm just under 6-4). ;)
  • I live in a 25 ft RV I plan to move into a van camper full time at the end of the year. I am somewhat of a minimalist, I guess compared to most. I still feel like I have a lot of stuff but it's a process. I am not a Buddhist, I'm a Christian, but I always remind people that Jesus didn't tote around a uhaul full of crap behind his donkey. :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^Your teacher had a donkey! Luxury. We dreamed of having a donkey. We used to have to walk ourselves, carry the donkey and not get carrots. If we were lucky we were whipped.

_. . . well of course . . . we had it tough . . ._

person
    edited May 2014

@Carole293 said:
    I live in a 25 ft RV I plan to move into a van camper full time at the end of the year. I am somewhat of a minimalist, I guess compared to most. I still feel like I have a lot of stuff but it's a process. I am not a Buddhist, I'm a Christian, but I always remind people that Jesus didn't tote around a uhaul full of crap behind his donkey. :)

>

Well, given that RVs weren't around then, the observation is entirely academic.
    Owning a donkey then was akin to owning a decent 2-seater sports car. Most people either walked or had a cart hauled around by the family bovine member, who not only did the hauling but provided the dairy requirement too.

By modern standards, due to his inherited profession, Jésus was actually better off than most.

person