Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do You Change Habits

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited May 2012 in Philosophy
Change the behavior first, or the thought/belief that creates the habit? Changing behaviors is so difficult. It takes a lot of effort and willpower. It just seems like a struggle to consider it. Then, changing a belief works short term but the more we see ourselves behaving according to our habit, we give up on the belief and we go right back to the status quo. Any thoughts on how Buddhism approaches behavior change?

Comments

• Just do it. And I am not being facetious. Works sometimes.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @AllbuddhaBound - it depends on what the habit is. If it's stuff like "eat healthy" or "exercise more" or "sleep earlier," it's pretty much a "JUST DO IT" thing like @Floating_Abu said. If you overthink it, it sometimes (or in my case, often) impedes or slows the progress of the change you want to see.

But if it's more along the lines of "stop criticizing others" then it may require a bit of a mental shift.

Oh this is a good quote: "First we make our habits, then our habits make us." -- Charles C. Noble. I think it touches on how karma (our actions) can create positive or negative results in ourselves and others - if you continually choose actions that tend to create negative results (e.g. binge drinking, theft, slander, manipulation) then your life will gravitate towards the negative. However, the opposite is just as true.
  • It is simple, difficult to do but to change any habit simply do not do what you did before. This means some changes to routine and substitutions. In my experience, it means being prepared for some degree, at least, of unpleasantness possibly for quite some time and therefore it requires commitment and perserverance ... one day at a time.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    In some ways the energy used for said habit must be channeled into another direction.

This just reinforces the habit for most people.

Question the underlying intention and motives behind such habits.

Usually it is basic dissatifaction. Out of that fear and ambition.

What is the antidote? Just stop and sit with all that movement. Movement for your habits arising in body and mind. By just sitting we can either entertain the habits or we can learn to live with them without actig them out.

Recognition of the habit forming in the body mind is key. You can start to see the seeds of potential habit forming. And from there you exercise a vow to the highest form of yourself. Could be god or the buddha or to kindness, etc. investigate what it would be like to live with a habit but not to exercise it.

In such way the energy of the habit allows one to have an object of inquiry. That is the invitation. Can we embrace the imperfections? A habit is a formation. Prior to the formations is peace. Can we recognize the subtle peace?

Then we bring attention towards peace. Then habits come and go. But the invitation is always that which we are attracted or repelled by. It is the most dangerous thing and at te same time where liberation shines through.

Just some thoughts.
  • I'm trying to break the habit of brining attention towards peace.
    Why would you want to do that?

• Because I do not wish to be a void ant.
  • You won't be.

Look, if you are wounded by an arrow, and you pull out the arrow and heal the wound, is there anything lacking?
  • That has nothing to do with being a void ant.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Neither has peace. Peace and a void ant (s) are not the same.

What we are really avoiding is peace. We think if we stop grasping, we'll just dissolve into the ether and nothing will be left of us. A lot of Buddhists even teach this as the goal.

Is there life in the void?

Hello? ;)

:)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Habits are our resistance to life's fluidity.
    Whether one considers the habit to be healthy or not, they delude.

Habits are identities most common building blocks and the ongoing bolstering of our ego's position. One can only drop a habit by being prepared to let go of a part of your identity/ego.

From the Buddhist perspective, the hard part is not so much the dropping of a habit, rather, the meditative facing of whatever inertia initiated that habit. Without facing it's initiating inertia, a dropped habit is simply replaced by another with our next moment of lax concentration & mindfulness. Dropping a habit might only involve ceasing to continue participating in the habit but keeping it dropped requires the willingness to reside in the often unsettling space that results from it's absence.
  • Mindfulness, all the time.

• Habits are our resistance to life's fluidity.
    Whether one considers the habit to be healthy or not, they delude.

Habits are identities most common building blocks and the ongoing bolstering of our ego's position. One can only drop a habit by being prepared to let go of a part of your identity/ego.

From the Buddhist perspective, the hard part is not so much the dropping of a habit, rather, the meditative facing of whatever inertia initiated that habit. Without facing it's initiating inertia, a dropped habit is simply replaced by another with our next moment of lax concentration & mindfulness. Dropping a habit might only involve ceasing to continue participating in the habit but keeping it dropped requires the willingness to reside in the often unsettling space that results from it's absence.
    If habits are the most common building blocks of our identities [and identities are bad?], then good habits must also bolster the ego's position. In fact good habits must be the worst for this, because good habits are admired by others. Yikes!
  • What we are really avoiding is peace. We think if we stop grasping, we'll just dissolve into the ether and nothing will be left of us. A lot of Buddhists even teach this as the goal.
    So resisting a temptation of habit is not avoiding peace, hmmm, uh, yeah...
  • Yes. Because the bad habits are in themselves avoidance of our basic situation. We were born running, with the implicit belief that happiness lies over the next hill, the implicit belief that having nothing more than we have naturally is having nothing at all. But it's actually the continual striving for something better that prevents us from realising what we already have.
  • In all seriousness, if that's true then what's the problem with seeking happiness over the next hill?
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Accepting habits, is entirely different than accepting reality. Habits stem from beliefs about the world concocted by the ego. I don't see it as a pursuit of anything to have an open mind. Do your habits serve you well, or do they cause you suffering? Fairly simple. If it hurts, quit doing it. Sounds logical to me.

My original intent of this post was to find ways to stop hurting self, not pursue utopia.
  • ozen
    In all seriousness, if that's true then what's the problem with seeking happiness over the next hill?
    That's the paradox that only practice can resolve. Seeking to stop seeking is also seeking. You can't win, and that's the whole point.
  • Being controversial is also a pursuit. To be honest, aren't you seeking to confound?
    edited May 2012
    AllBuddhaBound

A good way to loosen attachment to habits is to try to find the essence of what good they do for you, and what pleasure you get out of them. When you find neither essence, habits become less compulsive.
  • ozen
    In all seriousness, if that's true then what's the problem with seeking happiness over the next hill?
    That's the paradox that only practice can resolve. Seeking to stop seeking is also seeking. You can't win, and that's the whole point.
    It only appears to be a paradox because you're looking at it though the artificial lens of a belief system. Don't need any kind of practice to see that. Well, perhaps practicing objectivity could help.
  • Being controversial is also a pursuit. To be honest, aren't you seeking to confound?
    Of course everyone who disagrees with you is being controversial... eh!
  • AllBuddhaBound
    To be honest, aren't you seeking to confound?
    No, I'm not perfect, and I probably like believing I am wise too much, though that is fading, but I don't doubt that I am acting to be of help.

What I said above seems confounding, but the point is that there's no blueprint for enlightenment, no on off button you can press, there's just guidance and support. And that it's ok not to get all the answers you want when you want them.
    Of course everyone who disagrees with you is being controversial... eh!
    I should have directed that comment. It was not meant for you. I tend to agree with you actually.

edited May 2012
    ozen
    It only appears to be a paradox because you're looking at it though the artificial lens of a belief system.
    Yes, I agree with this. Though I'm describing the practice through that lens, not looking at it through one.
  • And the belief system is language, not Buddhism.
  • This has been on my mind lately. Before starting on my path a few years ago, I was really into self-development but without any spirituality. I was constantly trying to make myself better and perfect. So I had a lot of goal lists. I'd pick one goal from various facets of my life (financial, physical, mental, etc) and maintain a checklist for that goal for 28 days (since I heard it takes that long to change a habit). But I'd get really upset at myself for the days I wasn't able to put that little checkmark in there.
    Getting into Buddhism brought with it a greater sense of ease, a stronger ability to focus on every moment as just that moment - instead of thinking that my bad habit defined my perceived self (or my self perceived by others). I reminded myself constantly that I was where I was supposed to be in any given moment.
    However, over the past two years or so, some of the habits I have strong aversions to have been increasing in my life.
    So now I'm trying to balance a single-goal checklist with increased meditation. Gonna see what happens here. I'm just trying to be curious about it.
  • You need to understand the difference between words and meaning, PrarieGhost. Religion is about meaning, thus it does not matter at all if we have bad habits or not, or if we have peace or not. It's not a paradox because it's about meaning. There is no logic to meaning.
  • What I say is in language a paradox is the idea that we're trying not to try. We practice very hard to realise effortlessness. And that's the thing, we can't strive to relax, but that's ok, because in our practice of mindfulness, striving for mindfulness will fade away naturally. But there's never a point at which we think 'I did it, I succeeded in Buddhism'. It's more like failing gracefully, and realising that the grace we learned in doing so was what we needed all along.

But we still have to try our best in the first place.
  • with time, effort, patience and most important awereness
  • What I say is in language a paradox is the idea that we're trying not to try. We practice very hard to realise effortlessness. And that's the thing, we can't strive to relax, but that's ok, because in our practice of mindfulness, striving for mindfulness will fade away naturally. But there's never a point at which we think 'I did it, I succeeded in Buddhism'. It's more like failing gracefully, and realising that the grace we learned in doing so was what we needed all along.

Again you are describing meaning in a belief system. The meaning in a belief system does not need to be successful, it only needs to be meaningful, thus no paradox because the purpose is only to be meaningful. In this way the most enlightened Zen Master, or whatever, living today can have awful habits. That's not paradoxical.

Again you are describing meaning in a belief system. The meaning in a belief system does not need to be successful, it only needs to be meaningful, thus no paradox because the purpose is only to be meaningful. In this way the most enlightened Zen Master, or whatever, living today can have awful habits. That's not paradoxical.
    edited May 2012
    Ok, I agree that there is no actual paradox, only a linguistic one. The true meaning of effortless effort is realised, whether it sounds correct or not.
    In this way the most enlightened Zen Master, or whatever, living today can have awful habits.
    Can't agree with this though, since the whole point of the path is to overcome greed, hatred and delusion.
  • Ok, I agree that there is no actual paradox, only a linguistic one. The true meaning of effortless effort is realised, whether it sounds correct or not.
    In this way the most enlightened Zen Master, or whatever, living today can have awful habits.
    Can't agree with this though, since the whole point of the path is to overcome greed, hatred and delusion.
    There is no linguistic paradox either. Effort is just effort. Effortless effort is religiosity.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the point. Though reality is on my side. :)
  • Fair. Do you meditate?

Agree with you here too: effort is just effort. Effortless effort is just effort. Except nicer.
  • Oh yes, yes indeed! And I've found great peace in the practice. I've seen though the veil of ego, the delusion of self identities, the existential terror of being without habits! And guess what? I've still got bad habits! But that's okay, in fact that's perfectly okay, right?
    edited May 2012
    ozen
    the existential terror of being without habits!
    I am not sure what you mean here. Elsewhere you said:
    dissatisfaction is part of our reality.
    And if for you this is so, then it's not ok, by definition.

But I think what you're doing here is testing out some ideas of yours, and that's ok. Just keep an open mind about why people practice Buddhism - it's easy to pick out all the negative aspects of religion and define the whole thing that way, but that would be your loss.
  • So you're telling me what's okay and what's not okay? Okay, lol.
  • It's just my 2 cents.
  • Judge me all you want. Buddhism don't judge me thus, however.
  • I'm sorry. I've spoken clumsily if you feel that. Let's agree to differ.
  • So you are okay with my dissatisfaction. But of course you are, as everyone has dissatisfaction and what good would it do to be dissatisfied with everyone.
    edited May 2012
    So you are okay with my dissatisfaction. But of course you are, as everyone has dissatisfaction and what good would it do to be dissatisfied with everyone.
    :) your post made me smile

What is dissatisfaction?

Can you answer for yourself, before words?
    Eh? What does this mean ozen? :)
  • Like I've been trying to tell you, it doesn't matter what comes before words. It doesn't matter what dissatisfaction is. People have satisfaction and dissatisfaction, and some make religion out of dissatisfaction. Making a religion of dissatisfaction is making meaning, and that's all that it needs to do. Everyone has dissatisfaction regardless.
    edited May 2012
    The Buddha searched to the horizon and back to find the source of suffering and end it. He asked the wisest ones to tell him its origin, he sacrificed everything and everyone he loved in the hope that the chain's links were formed and maintained in those bonds, he even tried to purge suffering from his body through enduring hardships, as if fighting a fire god with fire.

But in the end he became so exhausted that he stopped under a Bodhi tree, and did not move for many days and nights, though the lord of death and his armies were encircling him in wrath.

And when the Buddha finally arose, the armies were gone, it was as if they had never existed at all; he couldn't find suffering, and he never found it again.
    I don't want to be a void ant.
  • The Buddha searched to the horizon and back to find the source of suffering and end it. He asked the wisest ones to tell him its origin, he sacrificed everything and everyone he loved in the hope that the chain's links were formed and maintained in those bonds, he even tried to purge suffering from his body through enduring hardships, as if fighting a fire god with fire.

But in the end he became so exhausted that he stopped under a Bodhi tree, and did not move for many days and nights, though the lord of death and his armies were encircling him in wrath.

And when the Buddha finally arose, the armies were gone, it was as if they had never existed at all; he couldn't find suffering, and he never found it again.
    Very meaningful story!
    I don't want to be a void ant.
    What's a void ant?
  • Thanks @TreeLuvr87

@AllBuddhaBound - good luck with your initial inquiry. Sometimes trial and error also works wonders, others might suggestion meditation or books.

_/\_
This discussion has been closed.