Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do You Change Habits

13»

Comments

• PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu
    Oh my gosh, do you make this stuff up?
    The point was that suffering is the attempt to avoid suffering, and the only way to end suffering is to surrender to the way things are...

but the condition for surrender is struggle, or samsara.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu
    It wasn't about usefulness, it was about accuracy.
    It was an accurate correction.
    PrairieGhost firstly claimed:

In Buddhist terminology we could argue that passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder etc. That attention, (and Floating Abu, sorry, but it is in the Pali Canon and is Buddhism) should be directed towards nibbana, or peace, but...

PrairieGhost then brings an out of context alternately translated phrase:

He gives attention to imperturbability. While he is giving attention to imperturbability, his mind enters into imperturbability and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision. When that is so, he understands thus: ‘While I am giving attention to imperturbability, my mind enters into imperturbability and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision.’ In this way he has full awareness of that.

This is a meditation reference. And the alternate translation blows your connection i.e. the word "attention": http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.122.than.html

How does your out of context quote back up your claim that Buddhism says attention should be directed towards nibbana, or peace.

And is nibbana a place now or is it now just the word imperturability?

Additionally, in the context of all this - how does one change one's habits using this claim you have made (but cannot back up)

Finally for credibility, please explain where Buddhism says that "passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder"

Quote sutras or authentic teachers in context.

Abu

• The point was that suffering is the attempt to avoid suffering, and the only way to end suffering is to surrender to the way things are...

but the condition for surrender is struggle, or samsara.
    I think you will find that the Buddha way teaches clarity, insight and awareness. The knowledge has to be experiential so phrases like the above sell books, but also potentially a lot of misunderstanding, or even avoidance as ozen might say.

This is, by the way, what you said originally:

And when the Buddha finally arose, the armies were gone, it was as if they had never existed at all; he couldn't find suffering, and he never found it again.

I think that is a misrepresentation.

FWIW.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Returning for a moment to the heading for this thread. Habits.
    An odd personal practise with habits is..
    Once a week I pick what ever personal habit seems to be strongest and drop it. I only do it for a week. At weeks end I pick the same one again or a different one depending on whatever one is more dominent. This isn't a purfication practise but just a way of exploring another place where I am unwilling to just be present.
    It is amazing how many habits we aquire over time that might even have started with the best of spiritual intention or justification but really just evolve into a holliday from truth.
  • Thanks @how
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    peace is horizontal in that we can work towards it.
    and peace is vertical in that it is alway here and we just need to stop, relax and let go.

some can gradually drop habits, thus they work towards finding the peace that is here.

some can just drop habits, thus they find the peace that is here.

• To put it briefly, you can't just wake up one day and say 'I'm going to give my life to helping others', because like a new years resolution, the habit of a lifetime's apathy can be persistent.

But practicing Buddhism breaks that habit.
    It's not all apathy, many people, including myself, struggle to maintain a roof over their head and food on the table. I used to give regularly to charitable organizations until the economy turned. There are many reasons that people don't help each other more. I wouldn't chalk it all up to apathy. That seems very short sighted to me.

In any case, I can agree that practicing Buddhism may help in dedicating a life to helping others, if that's what someone wants to do. There are all sorts of practices that can help with that. That includes secular practices. Obviously there are many Buddhist practitioners who do not dedicate their lives to helping others, though they may consider the practice itself dedicating their life to helping others.
  • Have I met you before @ozen?
    edited June 2012
    ozen
    though they may consider the practice itself dedicating their life to helping others.
    Yes.
    It's not all apathy, many people, including myself, struggle to maintain a roof over their head and food on the table. I used to give regularly to charitable organizations until the economy turned. There are many reasons that people don't help each other more. I wouldn't chalk it all up to apathy. That seems very short sighted to me.
    Maybe apathy was too harsh.

To look at it from a more positive perspective, since you say that you want to help, that compassion is an underlying condition of your life, but mention difficulties which limit your ability to help others; when all your difficulties are ended for good, and there's absolutely no need to help yourself, what else would you do but help those whose difficulties continue?

Or more accurately, the practice of ending your troubles is co-dependent with the practice of ending the troubles of others. Your being free will spread freedom.
  • peace is horizontal in that we can work towards it.
    and peace is vertical in that it is alway here and we just need to stop, relax and let go.
    Horizontal and vertical are terms that are normally used to indicate range and depth, respectively. I don't understand how you are using them here. Can you explain?
    some can gradually drop habits, thus they work towards finding the peace that is here.

Dropping a habit will initially be uncomfortable, not peaceful. If people found peace when they dropped the habit of smoking, for example, it would be quite easy to quit, wouldn't it? How is your diet going? Is it not somewhat 'unpeaceful' when you are tempted by beer and pizza?

In any case, isn't "finding peace" a desirable habit that replaces and undesirable habit?

• @ozen, I think we know each other :) but even if I am wrong and we don't, thanks for bringing some reality and genuine common sense to this forum

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • ozen
    though they may consider the practice itself dedicating their life to helping others.
    Yes.
    Yes indeed.
    To look at it from a more positive perspective, since you say that you want to help,
    I didn't say that I want to help others. I said that I used to donate to charitable organizations regularly. I actually don't know if that helped others. It may have hurt others for all I know. There are many many people and causes that I don't want to help AT ALL.
    that compassion is an underlying condition of your life,
    I most defiantly did not say that compassion is an underlying condition of my life. It's a pretty thought though.
    but mention difficulties which limit your ability to help others;
    I'm limited who I can help, and who I am willing to help, yes.
    when all your difficulties are ended for good, and there's absolutely no need to help yourself, what else would you do but help those whose difficulties continue?
    You're looking at this in a very strange way. My difficulties could not possibly be over while those around me suffer. Holly smokes!
    Or more accurately, the practice of ending your troubles is co-dependent with the practice of ending the troubles of others.
    Ah, thanks for the Mahayana 101 refresher. I apparently needed it.
    Your being free will spread freedom.
    Aye? I'm afraid the sermon ends with a odd note here.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    peace is horizontal in that we can work towards it.
    Horizontal and vertical are terms that are normally used to indicate range and depth, respectively. I don't understand how you are using them here. Can you explain?

Dropping a habit will initially be uncomfortable, not peaceful. If people found peace when they dropped the habit of smoking, for example, it would be quite easy to quit, wouldn't it? How is your diet going? Is it not somewhat 'unpeaceful' when you are tempted by beer and pizza?

In any case, isn't "finding peace" a desirable habit that replaces and undesirable habit?

i am using vertical and horizontal in relationship to sudden and gradual.
    if one were to have their hand clenched really tight and then suddenly let go, one would find instant release. if one where to gradually let go of their clench on their hand then one would gradually find release.

in regards to dropping habits to actualize peace. gross habits like stopping smoking or changing eating habits do cause great suffering in the immediate, but the long term benefit is worth it.

but i was speaking of dropping immediate habits such as tensions in the body or mind. It can be holding in the form of an idea or holding in the gut or heart. Immediately letting go of those brings peace.

for those who suffer, peace is important. that is why they are on the path of buddhism.

just like in school we learn to write and read, one must also traverse the path of buddhism. the motivation is end of suffering which is peace.

though peace may be the object of our goal but essentially you're right in that peace can become an obstacle to peace. thus in many ways one must realize that peace cannot be forced or controlled by effort. we can at best stop conditioning aversion, attachment, and ignorance.
  • i am using vertical and horizontal in relationship to sudden and gradual.
    In that case the terms only confused your message. In the future consider using the terms when indicating breadth (horizontal range) and depth (vertical range).
    but i was speaking of dropping immediate habits such as tensions in the body or mind. It can be holding in the form of an idea or holding in the gut or heart. Immediately letting go of those brings peace.
    You're basically saying that stress is a habit. I suppose it can be seen that way, though I don't know how helpful it is, and it's somewhat confusing it that we can be habituated to stress or "at peace" in stressful circumstances.

• ozen
    Yes.
    Yes indeed.
    To look at it from a more positive perspective, since you say that you want to help,
    I didn't say that I want to help others. I said that I used to donate to charitable organizations regularly. I actually don't know if that helped others. It may have hurt others for all I know. There are many many people and causes that I don't want to help AT ALL.
    that compassion is an underlying condition of your life,
    I most defiantly did not say that compassion is an underlying condition of my life. It's a pretty thought though.
    but mention difficulties which limit your ability to help others;
    I'm limited who I can help, and who I am willing to help, yes.
    when all your difficulties are ended for good, and there's absolutely no need to help yourself, what else would you do but help those whose difficulties continue?
    You're looking at this in a very strange way. My difficulties could not possibly be over while those around me suffer. Holly smokes!
    Or more accurately, the practice of ending your troubles is co-dependent with the practice of ending the troubles of others.
    Ah, thanks for the Mahayana 101 refresher. I apparently needed it.
    Your being free will spread freedom.
    Aye? I'm afraid the sermon ends with a odd note here.
    Thankyou.
  • peace is horizontal in that we can work towards it.

i am using vertical and horizontal in relationship to sudden and gradual.
    if one were to have their hand clenched really tight and then suddenly let go, one would find instant release. if one where to gradually let go of their clench on their hand then one would gradually find release.

in regards to dropping habits to actualize peace. gross habits like stopping smoking or changing eating habits do cause great suffering in the immediate, but the long term benefit is worth it.

Hi taiyaki

With respect, I think you are referring to relaxation.

My impression is this what you do constantly - anytime there is some tension or conflict in your mind, you invoke this method.

It's a method, but it's still very limited. I think it will be good for you at the Dzogchen retreat. I always found it immensely flowering whenever I weaned myself of all the reading and intellectualising.

May you and I realise genuine peace and liberation.

Abu
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @Floating_Abu

My practice is strictly opening to presence awareness through relaxing tensions and effort.

You're absolutely right that I need to wean myself away from intellectualism and find real please.

Thanks for the reminder.

May all beings awaken to their true condition.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited June 2012
    IMHO, habits are just cycles, patterns, conditions: reactions, rather than responses. We reinforce our habits by giving energy, time, etc to them. We can restructure our habits by shifting the focus and energy to more skillful habits. We "break" habits by observing them, seeing their roots, and realizing what they really are.

Ignorance is a condition. Habits are conditions. The skillful response to them is the same.

I have found that @taiyaki 's technique of dropping stress when it is noted, is quite useful to my practice. When I feel the stress, tension, unsatisfactoriness, etc it queues me in on my habits, conditions, patterns. I learn what to look for and I just relax it. I remove effort, I remove force, I just allow it to be. I don't take action, but simple let go and watch it.

To tie this back to the OP, I find that if you want to drop a habit, you should simply observe the habit first. Get to know the habit. Know why you do it, what triggers it, etc. When I do this in my own life, I find that I am able to see the correct method to transform my unskillful habits into skillful ones.

For instance, I have bitten my nails for around 24 years and just recently decided I wish to stop. Before doing anything, I just watched my habit. I realized by observing myself, that I bite my nails in response to anxiety. Anxiety is is a bigger issue I am working on separately; never the less, knowing that it is a response to anxiety, I can now feel that when I go to bite my nails. When I feel that, then I remember that it is a reaction. Then I chose a response which helps dissipate that "need" to bite my nails as relief: I go for a quick walk, I work on observing my anxiety, etc.

Just watch yourself and you will see the best approach to changing that particular habit.
  • Thanks for sharing @tmottes. My comments were directed only for taiyaki's stance and approach, not yours.

Briefly in the wider context Buddhism has to be able to live in the real storms too if it is to manifest its full capacity IMO.

Well wishes,
    Abu
  • Floating Abu
    @PrairieGhost, are you still standing by your incorrect statements, or would you rather put that down to a convenient misunderstanding for now?
    edited June 2012
    You're absolutely right that I need to wean myself away from intellectualism and find real please.

Thanks for the reminder.
    It's not my place to remind you but I'm just suggesting to not sell yourself short. And also others.

Understanding is one of the biggest traps.

Metta,
    Abu
  • tmottestmottes Veteran

Thanks for the reminder.
    It's not my place to remind you but I'm just suggesting to not sell yourself short. And also others.

Understanding is one of the biggest traps.

Metta,
    Abu
    :thumbsup: This is my biggest pitfall...the desire to understand.
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu,

It would help if you explained why you oppose describing practice as bringing attention towards peace. For me it seems an apt description, if limited, and only one way of looking at it.

If you feel strongly that it is inaccurate, then I guess you must have good reason for that, and it would be useful for me to understand your views.

If it's more about the sutta, well, you mentioned context, but again I don't follow your reasoning.

It may well be that you command and require greater linguistic precision than I in discussing these ideas, which is fine, but that's a choice of approach which you won't persuade everyone to make. I tend to try to say 'yes, I see what you mean', if I understand the spirit of what is meant, even if I'd have put it differently.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    This thread is so long now, I'll just give my answer to the OP. I would suggest that looking for answers in Buddhism can be very important but sometimes some forms of therapy/self-help approaches can be useful. I have recently discovered ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), which is basically a mindfulness-based bahavioural therapy and is simple and very direct. Check out a book called "Happiness Trap."
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu
    It was an accurate correction.
    PrairieGhost firstly claimed:

In Buddhist terminology we could argue that passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder etc. That attention, (and Floating Abu, sorry, but it is in the Pali Canon and is Buddhism) should be directed towards nibbana, or peace, but...

PrairieGhost then brings an out of context alternately translated phrase:

He gives attention to imperturbability. While he is giving attention to imperturbability, his mind enters into imperturbability and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision. When that is so, he understands thus: ‘While I am giving attention to imperturbability, my mind enters into imperturbability and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision.’ In this way he has full awareness of that.

This is a meditation reference. And the alternate translation blows your connection i.e. the word "attention": http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.122.than.html

How does your out of context quote back up your claim that Buddhism says attention should be directed towards nibbana, or peace.

And is nibbana a place now or is it now just the word imperturability?

Additionally, in the context of all this - how does one change one's habits using this claim you have made (but cannot back up)

Finally for credibility, please explain where Buddhism says that "passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder"

Quote sutras or authentic teachers in context.

Abu
    @PrairieGhost

It's pretty simple - you made points and they were examined. You claimed they were fact but on closer examination that does not seem to be in line with the teachings, that's all.

To not hijack this thread further, I will not comment further in here, but if you have an answer, provide it in a new thread, or I can start one.

Abu
  • This thread is so long now, I'll just give my answer to the OP. I would suggest that looking for answers in Buddhism can be very important but sometimes some forms of therapy/self-help approaches can be useful. I have recently discovered ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), which is basically a mindfulness-based bahavioural therapy and is simple and very direct. Check out a book called "Happiness Trap."
    Thanks @SattvaPaul

I agree.

I won't comment further on the other points in this thread.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    My intention was not to stop the discussion, I wasn't even aware there was some disagreement. I was just too lazy to read it all. :) Just clarifying.
  • Floating Abu
    From the Pali scriptures:
    Here, Hemaka,
    with regard to pleasant things
    seen, heard, felt, & cognized,
    There is: the dispelling of passion & desire,
    the deathless state of Unbinding.
    Those who, knowing this, mindful,
    fully extinguished/unbound
    in the here & now,
    are forever calmed
    have gone beyond
    entanglement in the world.
    Sn v.9

From the Mahayana Bodhisattva vows
    However innumerable beings are, I vow to save them;
    However inexhaustible the passions are, I vow to extinguish them;
    However immeasurable the Dharmas are, I vow to master them;
    However incomparable the Buddha-truth is, I vow to attain it.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/mzb/mzb01.htm
  • Isn't it ironic that within an impossible set of vows there is a vow to extinguish passions.
  • @PrairieGhost

Excellent, I'll respond - now back up the rest.

We'll take it here: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15680/bringing-attention-to-peace

@SattvaPaul - Ditto I am oft very lazy to read through all the posts :D

Enjoy,

Abu

• Isn't it ironic that within an impossible set of vows there is a vow to extinguish passions.
    PrairieGhost has just quoted one translation - there are many translations that can be utilised but passions is not one commonly used in any school I know - still,t it is convenient when you google the word passion for a debate.
  • Yes, some say "delusive desires," but what desires are not delusive? And isn't the desire to fulfill an impossible vow delusive by definition?
  • Through the false, the real can emerge fortunately :)

Metta,
    Abu
  • :bowdown:
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Confucious once said “If a man can’t change the world, change himself for the world”. When you decide you want to change yourself for the world, your habits will change with you. This is what I believe. :)
  • Nice one
  • Endless debate is a habit as well.
  • Endless debate is a habit as well.
    I've heard that moving attention towards peace fixes that. Let's try it ...
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Change the behavior first, or the thought/belief that creates the habit?
    For me it seems to be about replacing bad habits with good habits. It's a bit crude. ;)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Change the behavior first, or the thought/belief that creates the habit?
    For me it seems to be about replacing bad habits with good habits. It's a bit crude. ;)
    I get what you mean. One of the problems is that a habit that I find most destructive in my life, is procrastination. It is one of the five hindrances (sloth, sleepiness, torpor) and by its nature, you commit to replacing it and just never get around to it. LOL There are so many more interesting things to do.

It can be very difficult to deal with the negative attitude a person has about themselves, when you think you are doing something "bad". I have done as you say, replaced a habit with a more adaptive one like, "just do it" and it works for a while, but as long as I am effected by my belief that I am bad, I slip into the same trap. When I believe I am bad, I give up. I actually think the thought alone tires me out.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Hey Allbuddhabound
    Sometimes I think that the sum total of my buddhist training has only been about dealing with procrastination.
    The hinderence is not so much that the person has a negative attitude about themselves but is about the preference they've developed for first living their life in their brain. You have been asking your brain to assume a dominence and responsibility that is not it's due. It needs to be shared with it's partners.... form, sensation, activity & conscousness.
    The easiest way to alter that brain preference is by choosing activity as a first step.
    The usual teaching story about this is " to just pick up the broom and sweep instead of contemplating the three thousand ways of doing it. If you can move your first response from mentality into activity, then you will break procrastinations hold.
    Yes it is about habit adjustments, but it will take you along the path towards the equinimity that will leave those habits behind in the dust.
  • One of the biggest stumbling blocks us humans have is confusing "I don't agree", "I wouldn't do it that way", "that's not how I see things" with "I'm right."
  • Okay, Lamaramadingdong, from now on we'll assume that you're always right.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Lamaramadingdong has no fault to accuse him of.
    Unlike others I could mention.

Other problems include "I love the sound of my own voice", as-hominem attacks and perpetuating arguments in order to try to have the last word.
    well guess who gets the last word?
This discussion has been closed.