Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The ten things we think will make us happier, but don't

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
1-To become rich, powerful and famous

2-To treat the universe as if it was a mail order catalogue for our desires and fancies

3-To yearn for the “freedom” to do everything that comes into your mind. (This is not freedom, but being the slave of your own thoughts).

4-To constantly seek pleasant sensations, one after the other (Pleasurable sensations soon become dull, and often become unpleasant).

5-To maliciously take revenge on someone who has hurt you. (Doing so, you become as mean as them and you poison your own mind.)

6-“It I had all that, I will surely be happy,” or “If I don’t have that, I can’t be happy.” (Such predictions usually don’t turn out to be true.)

7-To always be praised and never face criticism. (This will never help you to progress.)

8-To vanquish all you enemies. (Animosity never brings happiness.)

9-To never face adversity. (This will make you weak and vulnerable.)

10-To put all your efforts into taking care of just yourself. (Altruistic love and compassion are the roots of genuine happiness.)

http://www.matthieuricard.org/en/index.php/blog/

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    :om:
  • I'm willing to try #1.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^ Me, too. And I think the balance to at least some of the things on the list is that they may not make us happy, but they also may not make us unhappy.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it can purchase an excellent quality of misery.
  • 1. If only I had…
    2. If only I didn’t have…
    3. If only I could…
    4. If only I didn’t have to…
    5. If only she wouldn’t…
    6. If only he would…
    7. If only it was this way…
    8. If only it wasn’t that way...
    9. If only this…
    10. If only that…
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'If' is a huge word, isn't it...? :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I likey!!