Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Moral implications of Karma?

BodhivakaBodhivaka Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Does Buddhism teach that every bad thing which befalls a person is the result of Karma? For example, if someone is born with a disability is it due to some immoral action they committed in a past life?

The reason I ask is because I recently read an article in which the author stated one of the reasons he left Buddhism was because he thought it wrong to teach that people born with birth defects or disabilities were simply reaping what they had sowed in a past life, despite the lack of evidence in favor of rebirth or karma. I've shared in this concern, and so I'm hoping that perhaps Buddhism also teaches of alternative causes to suffering other than Karma. Perhaps suffering sometimes happens to help people learn certain life lessons? Maybe at times it's simply the result of pure chance and bad luck?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yes, I believe that it is the traditional view that whatever happens to a person is a result of karma, not only bad but good or neutral as well.

I think some are turned off by this notion because it can be used to judge a person as being flawed and an excuse to disregard them. We can't know somebody's full karma though so even though someone may be suffering the results of some negative karma if we were to help them and show some kindness then that too would be their karma. And really, who doesn't have some negative karma in their life? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I suppose it's just not as easy to hide a physical disability than it is some pyschological affliction or repeatedly suffering the results of negative karma through harmful behavior towards oneself by others.

Personally I like the idea because it says that ultimately we are the creators of our own fate, that everything happens for a reason and we have a lot of control over that fate. I'm not sure we can logically say that some things occur because of chance and some things occur due to subtle causes, doesn't it have to be one or the other?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Not everything is caused by Karma
    Karma is only one of the 5 Buddhist laws.

The operation of the universe divides into five laws.
    The laws, in one form, are:
    (1) the laws of the physical world - that the world is not answerable to one's will;
    (2) the laws of the organic world - that all things flow;
    (3) the laws of morality - that karma is inexorable;
    (4) the law of the Dharma - that evil is vanquished and good prevails;
    (5) the laws of mind - that of the will to enlightenment.

• http://www.basicbuddhism.org/index.cfm?GPID=54

Also bear in mind that scientific knowledge 2500 + yrs ago would be fairly rudimentary.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...Even with that said, HH the DL states that if anything comes along to contradict anything in Buddhism, or demonstrate that some idea or notion in Buddhism is incorrect, then Buddhism would have to review its stance on that matter....

And so far, it seems Buddhism's doing OK...

@Lowell, if that person left Buddhism for that reason alone, then that person was sadly misinformed; Yes, it's true, some sectors in Buddhism to broadcast that view - but not all do.
    All that person had to do, was to do a little more research, a little more investigation, a little more questioning, because that's not the end of it....

Kamma is a process, is not judgemental, critical or condemnatory.
    And furthermore, the Buddha himself stated that the workings of Kamma were unconjecturable, unfathomable and impossible to work out.

The very best we can do, is to do the very best with what we have got, and where we are now, from moment to moment.
    So for this person to leave Buddhism for that reason alone - is irrational, unskillful and misguided.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    It could be useful to believe that we are in our current situation because of our past karma otherwise we may have the attitude that we're 'poor little weak things at the mercy of external influences'.

I like how Alan Watts puts it, "I was that dirty glint in my father's eye when he saw my mother!"

It's kinda like taking 100% responsibility for our happiness.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Yes, the idea of karma as fate still echoes within Buddhism, and if I had to believe that an innocent baby somehow earned a birth defect because of bad things done in a past life, I could never call myself a Buddhist, either.

Fortunately, there are schools of Buddhism that don't require you to believe that. As @how says, it gives the possibility that some things just happen, through no fault of your own. When you actually read what the sutras have to say, you find it's neither fatalistic nor nihilistic. It's the middle way.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2012
    The teaching on Karma really isn't about the past or about trying to explain why people are in the situation they are in. It's focus is on right now and what you are doing right now and what effects your actions, right now, have. To focus on a situation and then try to explain or understand the karmic or non-karmic cause, is really to look at the karma teaching backwards. The proper way to look at it is to focus your attention on your current actions, right now, and what effects they will have.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @Lowell - I'm dropping your name for the points!!

One could consider that the limitations of our expression are bound in our form - there is no requirement for the workings of the universe to mirror our understanding or mode of understanding - any concept sufficiently dissected will present a number of facets (some of which contradict) - Karma works for some - perhaps consider concepts as a means to an end so for example, what does it matter whether karma is correct or not if it leads / motivates you to act in a way beneficial / satisfactory / acceptable etc?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The teaching on Karma really isn't about the past or about trying to explain why people are in the situation they are in. It's focus is on right now and what you are doing right now and what effects your actions, right now, have. To focus on a situation and then try to explain or understand the karmic or non-karmic cause, is really to look at the karma teaching backwards. The proper way to look at it is to focus your attention on your current actions, right now, and what effects they will have.
    That's how you see it. Millions of Buddhists see it quite differently.

I'm not saying your viewpoint is wrong. Perhaps it's how it should be. I'm just saying that lots of people see karma completely differently.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We don't have 'millions of Buddhists' contributing, and so the number is really not relevant here.
    As it happens, the OP has had more responses erring on the side of what seeker has said (and I for one happen to agree with it) than concurring with the view held by 'millions of Buddhists'.
    And as the Buddha stated, it's unconjecturable, so actually, holding such definite opinions about the chain-causal effect of Kamma, is in my opinion, Wrong/misguided View.

It's a bit like Fundamental Christian viewpoint that the only way to god is through his son.
    Which also used to rub me up the wrong way something chronic..." :D
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    An excerpt from Lama Zopa:

"When we think of just the way some human beings are born, it is unbelievable. We couldn’t even imagine such bodies. There are people who are born with the face of a dog; they have hairy faces and look just like Lhasa apsos. Basically, these are all karmic results of immoral actions."
    edited June 2012
    We don't have 'millions of Buddhists' contributing, and so the number is really not relevant here.
    As it happens, the OP has had more responses erring on the side of what seeker has said (and I for one happen to agree with it) than concurring with the view held by 'millions of Buddhists'.
    And as the Buddha stated, it's unconjecturable, so actually, holding such definite opinions about the chain-causal effect of Kamma, is in my opinion, Wrong/misguided View.

It's a bit like Fundamental Christian viewpoint that the only way to god is through his son.
    Which also used to rub me up the wrong way something chronic..." :D
    I don't necessarily disagree.

I am simply pointing out that perhaps a majority of world Buddhists see karma differently than those "responses erring on the side of what seeker has said".

You'll note that I didn't say which viewpoint was correct or incorrect. In fact, I don't know what is correct or incorrect. I have personal views about karma, but I wasn't projecting them in this discussion.

The problem I see is that since this is "New Buddhist.com", a new Buddhist could read this thread, assume that the majority viewpoint of Buddhists is what is found here. I think it's important that we sometimes point out that what is found here may be only one general viewpoint and that other viewpoints exist.

Look, for example, at the post @SattvaPaul posted just before this response. Do I necessarily agree with the viewpoint of Lama Zopa...no comment...but that viewpoint is quite pervasive in old-world Theravada Buddhism, as well. In fact, it controls a great deal of how Thais (for example) deal with handicaps and compassion.

edited June 2012
    @SattvaPaul, that's Bullshit.

I find that as heinous a claim as AIDS being a punishment from god against gay people.

EDIT:
    I take your point, @vinlyn. :)
    edited June 2012
    Perhaps it can be, as other things, considered in terms whether holding this or that view on karma helps ourselves and others or not. For some, this view can be more helpful, for others that view.

edited June 2012
    @SattvaPaul, that's Bullshit.

I find that as heinous a claim as AIDS being a punishment from god against gay people.

EDIT:
    I take your point, @vinlyn. :)
    @federica,
    I should have added that I don't necessarily agree with that quote. I don't know. Sounds like BS to me too, but I just don't know. Lama Zopa is a highly regarded teacher. Who am I to say?
    We are to say.
    His holiness the DL states we should study a teacher for a good quantity of time before calling him - or her - our teacher.
    All I can say is that anyone coming out with something like this, is not MY teacher.
    Fair enough...
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I'm sure over his lifetime, Lama Zopa said many things - some of which one may agree with and some of which one may not - it's his view and no doubt it is based on intense thought and consideration on his part - it may not sit comfortably but it's one view - it may be correct even (and I stress may)... irony is I think Lama Zopa had a serious stroke not far back - he himself may now be partially disabled...

I have a friend who is a carpenter - he taught me how to hang a door just right... you should hear his views on women and relationships - so I guess he was my teacher for purposes of teaching me the ways of the chippy... wont be taking him on to teach me the way with women and relationships.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    We are to say.
    His holiness the DL states we should study a teacher for a good quantity of time before calling him - or her - our teacher.
    Everything changes. It is a mistake to believe that understanding and insight are not subject to this law. Not that a Zen student needs to defend the DL but I've met plenty of teachers with creds up the yin yang who no longer deserve the shingle they were once credited with.
    To me such a title only says that at some time in this life, their teacher said they have understood.
    @Zero,

Good analogy, but the trouble is in case of Buddhism (or more specifically some traditions) it is as if the teachings on women and relationships were part of the carpentry - it's one package.

"When we think of just the way some human beings are born, it is unbelievable. We couldn’t even imagine such bodies. There are people who are born with the face of a dog; they have hairy faces and look just like Lhasa apsos. Basically, these are all karmic results of immoral actions."
    I don't see why this idea is so controversial. If someone doesn't accept rebirth it makes no sense. But in the realm of rebirth what's the difference between the outcome of an action occuring from one life to the next and the outcome occuring within one lifetime?
    I guess my question for you, @person, is -- is karma "just"?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @vinylyn, I think some of this (much) is a projection of the practitioner. How can we know what was karma? We are not Buddhas. The notion of justice would be a projection kinda hand waving to generalize.

How useful is it to think my disease is due to karma? Peace doesn't come from doctrine and generalizations. It comes from a person's journey. Journey to voidness. Existential disease?? No. Voidness. Don't throw bricks on someone at an inapropriate time in the journey of the four noble truths. Some realization of the third noble truth must be added, freedom from past lives and positivity.
    In theory it is, I suppose I don't know how it actually works in the real world.

If we don't remember the karmic cause of an outcome from a previous life it certainly seems unjust. Just as if we forgot how we wronged someone earlier in life and then we get our comeuppance, we don't know what we did to deserve it so its not fair.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I just look at it as a view(s) that is on the table. It's there if I ever need it, but honestly I don't need "views" because it feels like common sense. I believe in skilful actions because it brings good results .
  • An excerpt from Lama Zopa:

I don't see why this idea is so controversial. If someone doesn't accept rebirth it makes no sense. But in the realm of rebirth what's the difference between the outcome of an action occuring from one life to the next and the outcome occuring within one lifetime?
    People who hold to such extreme views are usually not the loving parents of an innocent baby born with an unfortunate birth defect. The key word is innocent. People in Buddha's day had no concept of cellular growth, genetics, DNA, or even how a baby was formed. There simply isn't any cause and effect between some some unrelated person who died half a world away and that innocent baby. Period. The inherited genetic structure comes from parents and perhaps immediate environmental conditions during development. We know that now. Those monks a thousand years ago who wrote the sutras didn't know that.

And nobody bothered to teach Lama Zopa the fundamentals of genetics or for that matter, anything but basic reading and "spiritual" doctrine, so you can't fault him for having a constricted world view and not understanding how terrible something like this statement sounds. That's the danger of taking someone as a child and insulating them from the world. It's like taking a child and home schooling him that creationism is the true answer, forget about evolution, and God created the world 6000 years ago. What do you expect?
  • vinlyn
    In my view, not just but necessary.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

How useful is it to think my disease is due to karma?
    What are the other options? And what are their merits? Serious question.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    When we do what’s right for the expected reward, or avoid doing what’s wrong because of the feared punishment, our morality is kindergarten level.

When we do what’s right in spite of being condemned for it; or avoid doing what’s wrong even when it would bring us advantages; that’s when we can start talking about morality.

I think morality and (the notion of) karma are opposites.

People who hold to such extreme views are usually not the loving parents of an innocent baby born with an unfortunate birth defect. The key word is innocent. People in Buddha's day had no concept of cellular growth, genetics, DNA, or even how a baby was formed. There simply isn't any cause and effect between some some unrelated person who died half a world away and that innocent baby. Period. The inherited genetic structure comes from parents and perhaps immediate environmental conditions during development. We know that now. Those monks a thousand years ago who wrote the sutras didn't know that.

And nobody bothered to teach Lama Zopa the fundamentals of genetics or for that matter, anything but basic reading and "spiritual" doctrine, so you can't fault him for having a constricted world view and not understanding how terrible something like this statement sounds. That's the danger of taking someone as a child and insulating them from the world. It's like taking a child and home schooling him that creationism is the true answer, forget about evolution, and God created the world 6000 years ago. What do you expect?
    Like I said if someone doesn't accept rebirth it makes no sense. But I guess I do see why without rebirth the idea is controversial and you laid it out pretty well.
    edited June 2012
    When we do what’s right for the expected reward, or avoid doing what’s wrong because of the feared punishment, our morality is kindergarten level.

When we do what’s right in spite of being condemned for it; or avoid doing what’s wrong even when it would bring us advantages; that’s when we can start talking about morality.

I think morality and (the notion of) karma are opposites.

Well said. But I don't see the conflict here. In both cases we're presumably concerned with long-term effects. And the first level may be a necessary step.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2012

How useful is it to think my disease is due to karma?
    What are the other options? And what are their merits? Serious question.

The other option is to forget about what caused the problem and just move on. You can't fix samsara.

@Tosh

Another question about AA. I call emotional incidents of sickness in the lungs and bad body feeling.. Sickness towards others... I call these mushrooms. Or mushroom clouds. They are not magic mushrooms, which are psychadelhic energy buzzes in the heart, ie emotional.

So alcohol buzz gets the psychadelic mushroom and then the regular sick feeling mushroom eventually arrives. Often the next day hang over we feel so sick and person with hatred.

Psychadelic mushrooms are the fix and the emotional mushrooms are the disease. Self worth and backstabbing in one's mind of your friends.

So two mushrooms. Heart and lungs.

The reason I don't go to AA is that I think they think you can fix the emotional mushrooms by a higher power. I am trying to help with the emotional mushrooms by mindfulness. No tricks can help the emotional mushrooms and there is a peeling away as 'an above it all buddhist'. The higher power seems like a way to deal with the comfort zone of the emotions. Is that it?

There simply isn't any cause and effect between some some unrelated person who died half a world away and that innocent baby. Period. The inherited genetic structure comes from parents and perhaps immediate environmental conditions during development. We know that now. Those monks a thousand years ago who wrote the sutras didn't know that.
    We can't really say for sure there's no cause and effect relationship. I don't see anything here that contradicts science.

And even scientific research is always advancing. We now know genes are much more changeable then we thought, for example, and can be influenced by behaviour.

In theory it is, I suppose I don't know how it actually works in the real world.

If we don't remember the karmic cause of an outcome from a previous life it certainly seems unjust. Just as if we forgot how we wronged someone earlier in life and then we get our comeuppance, we don't know what we did to deserve it so its not fair.
    You read my mind. If you commit a negative karmic action, it might bother your conscience (and more). Fair enough.

IF you had a previous life, and you are punished for something you did in a life you can't even remember...well, no justice there at all. And that really bothers me.

That's why conjecture is vexating and can drive you insane.
    that's why you just take the hand you're dealt right now, and work with that.
    don't be bothered, don't be vexed, don't ask the why, how come and whatever.
    see it for what it is.
    a happening thing.

And if it is something that's hanging on from a life you can't remember, then smile, breathe and think - "ok, so what do i do now?"
  • ToshTosh Veteran

The reason I don't go to AA is that I think they think you can fix the emotional mushrooms by a higher power. I am trying to help with the emotional mushrooms by mindfulness. No tricks can help the emotional mushrooms and there is a peeling away as 'an above it all buddhist'. The higher power seems like a way to deal with the comfort zone of the emotions. Is that it?
    I don't exactly understand your question, @Jeffrey, but the Higher Power thing is just a tool. Remember, for an alcoholic, alcohol is also a 'higher power'; it has the power to bring about a sense of ease and comfort.

Step 3 is where we turn our 'will and our lives' over to our Higher Power; but we do that by taking Steps 4 to 12, which basically involves dealing with our past, meditation, mindfulness and compassion for others.

Some people use God for their higher power; others use G.O.D (Group of Drunks; the A.A. Group and ethos of A.A.).

Jeffrey, if you look at the A.A. 12 Steps, they're easily translated into a Buddhist practise like Tonglen, and dare I say it, A.A. does some things better than I've learnt in Buddhism in this area. Also meditation, mindfulness (Step 10) and helping other alcoholics (compassion) are also 'Buddhist'.

How the 12 Steps work is that it helps us to understand the problem, it helps us to deal with the past (it's almost identical to Tonglen in some areas) and it provides a spiritual path:

Step 10 - 'taking a personal inventory' which translates as mindfulness.
    Step 11 - Prayer and meditation
    Step 12 - "Carrying this message to other alcoholics and practising these principles in all our affairs" this translates as compassion for others and living an ethical life.

None of these are 'tricks', it's just a spiritual path perfectly designed for alcoholics who normally have a lot of wreckage in our past - stuff we must deal - and Steps 10 to12 easily translate into a Buddhist spiritual path.

I hope some of that helps.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    Karma is impersonal... just like these forms we think we are: it isn't about justice. Ego is concerned with justice.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I personally don't take this as something horrible. The fact that someone has any type of disease or disorder or disability is horrible, no doubt. But I know too many people who've had past life regressions that point to statements like this being true. Not in such harsh words, but yes, current conditions being related to past deeds. In terms of, clearly the person has not learned X lesson and thus they are being made to learn it now, possibly even by their own choice prior to human birth(I have not entirely figured out my thoughts on Karma).

And I say this as a parent of an immune disorder. He was 2 when he was diagnosed. He certainly did nothing in this life to bring on what he's had to face. But perhaps he did something in a past life. Does it make me love him less? Of course not. Does it make me less compassionate? No, in fact it has taught me more about compassion. Does it make me treat him differently or manage his disease differently? Nope. Whatever path he is on while he is here is still his path, even if he's my 3 year old son. I just don't find the idea that our current state on earth, no matter how good or how bad, is due to our past Karmic reapings to be horribly offensive.

And I can say, as a newcomer to the page and fairly new to Buddhism that it is somewhat intimidating reading some of the posting here and going out on a limb to share things. It takes a lot of reading through everything to realize that it's a group of people sharing what they learned on different levels and different traditions. It becomes clear quickly who are the more prolific posters, where tensions lie, what users have had difficulties with each other in the past, and who feels they are definitive voices. It does make it intimidating.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @karasti Good post. :thumbsup: Don't be too intimidated by anybody here. They are all just people like us trying to live their lives. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, so just keep doing what you are doing :)
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hi karasti

I think this is nonsense.

Sometimes people absorb religious dogma to the point where they abdicate their emotional intelligence to scriptures. Karma is not an iron age system of cosmic retribution. Karma is cause and effect, it just means that if we tread carelessly we may stumble in the dark. Everyone knows that without Buddhism. And it means that if we do things that we don't respect, or make bad choices, that creates tensions in us and in our environment that leads to the creation of bad situations for ourselves. Again, everyone knows this without studying ancient texts.

It doesn't mean the disabled are cursed. That would be the most simplistic, offensive, juvenile interpretation of karma. The sort you'd expect from uneducated people who aren't enlightened and have to make stuff up for their students. But again, you didn't need me to tell you that.

I'm really sorry you came across that quote. My best friend is an artist who is immobile with cerebral palsy, and it's not a punishment upon him, rather he is a gift to us because he has been given a different viewpoint. His disability has nothing to do with karma, it has everything to do with the diversity inherent in the world.
    edited June 2012
    The Buddha said that the precise workings of karma are not measurable, again obvious if you consider it. I take that over anything else he or any other teacher is supposed to have said on the matter, because I've never heard any precise karmic results of particular actions that seem remotely credible.
    13. "Here, student, some woman or man is not a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks or brahmans. Due to having performed and completed such kamma, on the dissolution of the body, after death he reappears in a state of deprivation... If instead he comes to the human state, he is poor wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to poverty, that is to say, not to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.135.nymo.html

There's some great teachings in the Pali Canon, but to be honest, this sounds like the sort of thing a 5th century BC monk would make up off the top of his head. As I keep repeating - you can see karma for yourself, you know how things happen, just look at your life. It's incredibly complex and nuanced, but at the same time we understand it, we know when we screwed up or which hours are our finest, and how things turn out afterwards, even when we try not to know.

You read my mind. If you commit a negative karmic action, it might bother your conscience (and more). Fair enough.

IF you had a previous life, and you are punished for something you did in a life you can't even remember...well, no justice there at all. And that really bothers me.

That's a good point, I guess multiple life karma shouldn't be thought of as being justice then. That doesn't mean it doesn't occur though, justice is sort of a human conception, I agree with @tmottes here.
    Karma is impersonal... just like these forms we think we are: it isn't about justice. Ego is concerned with justice.
  • Me:
    There's some great teachings in the Pali Canon, but to be honest, this sounds like the sort of thing a 5th century BC monk would make up off the top of his head.
    Or maybe how he would simplify things for uneducated peasant followers. But we aren't uneducated peasants, and such teachings only separate us from the dhamma, as karasti's experience shows.
  • The idea karma is somehow punishment for "bad" behavior that carries over from previous lifetimes and is the cause of disabilities and defects is extremist nonsense.

Although I do have to admit that before I knew about Buddhism I used to view karma as some kind of ultimate justice. Now I realize that was just my own delusional ego judgement.

Rather than emphasizing past and future lives, as people often do when discussing karma, the Buddha’s teachings point to the importance of the present moment as the only time we can take responsibility for, and train in, the actions that bring freedom.

Best Wishes

I wonder if it's possible to hold the traditional view on karma and not attach any notions of "justice" or "blame" to it?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I wonder if it's possible to hold the traditional view on karma and not attach any notions of "justice" or "blame" to it?
    It seems to me that this is the traditional view. :) It is also the traditional view to not speculate as the the results or fruit of it. AKA Deformed babies, poverty, sickness, etc.

The only 'justice' or 'blame' to be attached to Kamma is the one we evaluate to be appropriate depending on the thought, word or deed behind it, when we think, say or do it.
    edited June 2012
    Hi SattvaPaul
    But it seems to me that the traditional view of karma was, incorrectly, formed through a misapplication of exactly those notions.

Bad karma makes you suffer more, good karma makes you suffer less. Sure, disabled people have specific challenges, but there are generally happy disabled people - good karma, and there are generally unhappy able-bodied people - bad karma.

So I would suggest considering the spirit of the old texts rather than the letter. I'm more comfortable with the idea that dark karma leads to birth in a difficult situation, but peoples' lives are so diverse and the reasons for our happiness or unhappiness so complex that to say 'stingy people are born poor' or 'nasty people are born disabled' is a profound and basically offensive oversimplification of what constitutes a difficult situation. Poor people are often much happier than rich people, how is that bad karma then, to for instance be born poor in a beautiful, unpolluted part of the world to loving parents and a stable, supportive community?

No, the traditional view i.e. stingy people are born poor, sounds to me more like self-righteous, vengeful wish fulfillment. It works on the monotonous level of religious indoctrination, it doesn't work on a rational, sensitive, human level.
    edited June 2012
    @Federica and @PrairieGhost,

That would make sense.

I was searching yesterday for more info about it and came across this recording from BBC's Beyond Belief (go to bottom of page). A Buddhist nun (Ven. Robina Courtin), an Anglican priest and a Quaker discuss religions' attitude to disability in the context of karma or God's will. I wish I could hear more from the nun, but interesing to listen to nonetheless.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    If we suffer in this life due to our karma from previous lives, why should we help others, such as starving people? Shouldn't we just allow them to suffer to burn up that negative karma and helping them would only prolong the suffering?

This is not my view BTW, but I think it's a logical conclusion of believing that those who suffer extreme hardship such as famine or disability is due to a mechanical belief in karma.