Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can You Have a Meaningful Life Without an Afterlife?

B5CB5C Veteran
edited June 2012 in Philosophy

Discuss! This could be applied to those who believe without an rebirth as well.

Comments

• During my "questioning time" I became mostly atheist. I examined my thoughts about there being nothing more to the universe than what meets the eye. I decided that there was no way I could have a truly meaningful life if my mind ceased to be for eternity. The only thing I could do is fulfill cravings, and consider that as a "good life". Because in that case, life is 100% material. That's not to say that good couldn't be done, but a life like that is just the illusion of happiness based on attachments. It can appear nice, because many atheists do try to be kind and do the right thing, but inside the person feels empty and unachieved. Their happiness is not self sustaining, and that's where depression and the works come in. I found that I myself could not bare the pressure of living such a way which felt so unnatural to me.

I studied physics and theorized things such as the universe ending and resetting identical to how it was before; everyone would basically live their lives over and over again. That would be the only form of eternal that could exist in an atheist view. I found that rebirth, or rather the continuation of the mind after death is the only thing that keeps me sane. I applaud those who are happy with accepting atheism; it is not something I could ever bare. The only thing that matters to me is being able to maintain a stream of consciousness.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I would figure if this is the only life we have that it would make it more meaningful, not less.

I doubt this individual will ever be repeated. This stream of consciousness may be inherent to another sentient being that comes after him but ultimately I am reborn in every passing moment with every new interaction. This individual is just an aspect which was revealed by such an interaction. One of love between two other individuals in the co-procreative process that is really just another way of sharing information.

The universe isn't some place we live.

jmo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The video was critical primarily of theistic views of the afterlife, as such I generally agreed with it as I too don't feel they make sense.

I've had a mentally painful life, I work to overcome them but honestly if I didn't feel it was likely that death isn't the end I probably would have just ended the pain instead of trying to overcome it. The commentors in the video all sounded like they have pretty good lives with opportunities and happiness. Death can come at any time, why struggle with pain and suffering if after death its all the same anyway whether you lived a long happy life or a short painful one.
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Frankly, this video is pretty bad. It assumes materialism is the truth. But it is not. NDEs have been and are still being seriously investigated at the University of Virgina in addition to reincarnation. Those who don't mind reading material intended for a master's prepared student I would recommend reading Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century http://goo.gl/Ay4vo. Unfortunately, Buddhism is being taking over by materialists, the same kind the Buddha debated.
  • I think the answer to every question that begins “Can you have a meaningful life without…” is Yes. Whether we have an afterlife or not, a soul or not, what difference does it make? If our lives are not meaningful simply because of our belief in lack of an afterlife, I’d say we’ve got bigger problems.
  • Everyone else seems to say yes. So I'm curious what they believe constitutes the word "meaningful".
  • Life is full of meanings. It just takes time to grasp...then let it go.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Everyone else seems to say yes. So I'm curious what they believe constitutes the word "meaningful".
    Whatever meaning they ascribe to their lives. Nothing is of it's own, even meaning; it needs a conceptual mind for it to exist; so we give the meaning to our lives. Probably other causes and conditions too; but the main cause will be mind.

I guess the meaning of my life is to help other alcoholics recover. That's not to say I don't help others, but I'm taught I have a 'special gift' (the gift of being a recovered alcoholic), so I try to help others to recover. When I have meditated on my own death, it is this that stands out as being worthwhile in my life.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    If one can attribute sufficient meaning to transitory events then I guess so.

If a man walks into a bank and borrows £100 and then pays it back immediately and walks out, is there 'meaning' in the transaction? Can it be said that something even happened when he walks in with the same sum in his pocket as when he walked out?

Depends on where one focuses - to some the event will be nonsensical - to others it was on opportunity to hold £100 in the hand, to walk into a bank and walk out again, whatever...

If however, one must walk out of the bank with some money in the pocket for the event to have meaning then akin in my mind to needing an afterlife to allay the concern that impermanence brings to the table.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I really liked this video. It covers a lot of points that I wish people would put some thought into when belief in an afterlife comes up.

First, most beliefs in an afterlife actually serve to rob the life you are living right now of meaning. So when people do ask, "How can life have meaning without an afterlife?" they're getting it exactly opposite in my mind. I always ask the believer first, "How can your life have meaning with your afterlife? Answer this, and I'll answer your question."

Second, most people's vision of an ultimate afterlife is either oblivion (Hindu and Buddhist) so it makes no difference, or the eternal torture of endlessly doing nothing in a perfect Heaven. Existence for its own sake. People who find sitting in church for an hour to be boring proclaim their desire to sing hymns for eternity. And don't forget, in Buddhism reincarnation is seen as a trap that we desperately need to escape from.

And for the definition of meaning, I think when pressed what people are really talking about is, they want their life to have made a difference. The opposite of meaning is pointless.
  • jlljll Veteran
    this is a very professionally made video.
    it presents a point of view.
    the point made is as valid as christianity, islam , buddhism, etc.
    so some people dont believe in the afterlife.
    so what?
    does it mean that their lives are superior to religious people
    like dalai lama , ajahn brahm, the pope, etc?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I didn't have any issue with the video, except that it presents time on earth as the same as time anywhere. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I do believe that no matter what happens to us after we die, time is not the same as experienced while we are living. I do believe there is something, but I don't believe what I do out of fear or hope. I believe it out of a sense of what I feel is true and what I have experienced. I am not afraid of dying or death but I am afraid of great suffering. Actually, it's the anticipation of suffering, not the suffering itself. My grandmother is dying right now (of course, we're all dying from the second we are born, but you know what I mean). She has been ill for a couple years, and in the past few months she has undergone great suffering as she's closer to dying, mostly on an emotional and spiritual level, and that is one thing I hope I can feel at peace with when I am dying, whether what I believe is true or not.

I don't think it matters what happens when I die. I certainly don't want to live my life only in anticipation of what could happen when I die. I have a book that I read often, that has a line in it that says "Belief is not required. You will reincarnate regardless. A leaf does not have to believe in photosynthesis to turn green." And I believe that to be true. That whatever happens when we die, is the same across all human experience, and that believing or not believing isn't going to make an ounce of difference. I do believe how you life can and does affect your rebirth, because that is the only thing that makes any logical sense to me.

To answer the question for me, yes, of course life has meaning regardless of whether there is an afterlife. There may or may not be an afterlife. But how I act and react, how I decide, how I treat people and live my life now, today, has far reaching effects. On the universe as a whole, of course not. But on the lives of other people. Even if we don't know what happens when we die, there is something to be said for spending your life at peace and in loving kindness. If I were told today that there is unequivocal proof that there is no afterlife, it would not change one iota how I am choosing to live my life.
  • Thank you for sharing this video with us. I often wondered what atheist thought of life after death and this short video gives a few answers. I particularly liked the answer that someday we will become star dust and merge with other galaxies and worlds and that person felt complete being a part of something bigger than themselves. I think that is the key. We are all Universal intelligence and we will return to that energy. We are all made of the same stuff, we have no choice but to reunite. I like to view the earth as one cell in the whole Universe and we are all working to make it magnificient. The only thing that doesn't agree with this amazing concept is the ego.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Short answer: Yes.

I just don't think about it really. If I only lived a good life now in hopes I would be rewarded in the next, what type of person does that make me? I try to lead a good life because it is just the correct thing to do.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I think this is interesting for some here. A Taoist, Humanist and Buddhist explain some parts of their world views and also touch on the subject of afterlife and how it is not really important for the practice of their religions:

It's nice to see how much they have in common.
  • jlljll Veteran
    beliefs are based on our experience.
    some people have seen their previous lives.
    are their experience not as valid as yours?
    just because we are ignorant we should not assume that
    everyone else is just like us.
    we havent been to the moon.
    who are we to tell armstrong that standing on the moon
    wasnt all that great.
  • There is nothing "meaningful" about a life going to annihilation. Annihilationism, by the way, was the view of Ajita Kesakambali. The Buddha rejected his view.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited June 2012
    If the lives of our ancestors have meaning to us (i.e. at the least we owe them our existence), and our descendants will find equal meaning in our lives, then we would be thinking quite narrowly to not find meaning in our own lives.

It's only when we think we didn't exist prior to conception (that this was an actual beginning) that we view/fear death as an actual end. Eternalism misses the mark because there's no unchanging self that continues (or was created). Nihilism misses the mark because there's no unchanging self that ceases. Each moment is birth-and-death, life-and-afterlife, without an abiding self to worry about... what we worry about is a false self, and it's the false self (deluded mind) that worries!
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The question is too long it should be:”Can you have a meaningful life?”

The idea of an afterlife is just one of many ideas which take control over our actions.
    Do the ideas we repeat in our head give meaning to our life? Do our efforts to infect other people with them do the trick? Of course not.
    Just to be clear; this implies that faith in an afterlife too, does not supply such meaning.

But also we are the slaves of physical urges. We must eat, we must sleep, we want sex, we need to go to the toilet, and oops another day of our meaningful life is over; which makes me wonder what exactly that meaning is.

It must be this: the” Great Matter of life and Death” is Enlightenment or Liberation or dropping body and mind.
  • Cloud
    Eternalism misses the mark because there's no unchanging self that continues (or was created).
    In Buddhism the attâ or self doesn't transmigrate which is the case with most Indian religions (most say the jiva transmigrates). It is consciousness (viññâna) that survives death and is reborn again and again this condition being samsara.

As you read this comment your consciousness is directly interfacing with your four aggregates. This is your psycho-physical organism. You are, so to speak, facing in one direction wherein lies only birth and death. However, there is another realm where there is no birth and death, but it takes extraordinary meditative skills to connect with it.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Life is only as meaningful as you make it; regardless if there is an afterlife or if rebirth is true. You can contribute to the world and help your fellow man or you can squander it and do nothing.

And, honestly, those who say that there is a 100% chance of there being an afterlife (or none for that matter) are the most delusional.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I still love the quotation I read in TTBLD...

"It matters little whether Heaven [an afterlife] exists or not;
    The important thing is to live life as if it did."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, Nothing whatsoever is you or yours even now; the idea that you were born or will die, that there's any "you", is just the deluded mind. There is no realm outside of birth and death; birth and death is all there is, without anything that is born or dying.

"Because a buddha is in birth and death, there is no birth and death.",
    "Because a buddha is not in birth and death, a buddha is not deluded by birth and death."

Clinging to any of the aggregates whatsoever is what Samsara is.
    All of the aggregates without exception are not-self.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    What's the meaning of a flower? Truth skill and beauty.
  • Hi there!

Interesting thread ...

Here's a site which aint Buddhist but supposedly answers a lot of questions about the afterlife -

http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/faq.html

Cheers
  • Afterlife???

The present moment is the after life (and the before life.) Seen as such it is timeless, without beginning or end, eternal. Dependently originated, empty, and complete. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, but to wake up and stop clinging.

Of course once you assert (dream up), a separate permanent self then judgement and worry about things like is "my" life meaningful will follow.
  • The present moment is only a freeze frame of samsara. Despite all the moments we've lived, we are still caught in the bitter waves of this blood-drenched life (Porphyry).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The present moment contains both samsara and nirvana. If anyone expects to find nirvana outside of the present moment, outside of birth and death, they'll never cease.
  • Cloud, Nirvana is unborn (ajâtam) which is beyond birth and death. Nirvana has never come into being. It has not become nor has it ever appeared. The very nature of nirvana is that of being unconditioned. How then is nirvana, the unconditioned, to be realized by looking for it in the conditioned world?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Where else would you look? Right here is where Nirvana is to be found. Reality is empty, but delusion gives rise to craving and suffering. The clearing away of this delusion gives rise to unbinding, to mind no longer clinging or discriminating between self and other. The conditioned mind is what's subject to suffering because of the defilements greed, aversion and delusion. The unconditioned mind is what's beyond defilement.

There is only birth and death, and Nirvana is unborn and undying because it is Emptiness... it is the full functioning of the Buddhas. It's not something "other" than Emptiness. It's too easy to conceptualize Nirvana as being something "out there", some realm, because it's difficult to understand that it's unbound mind. We don't have anything to compare it with, because we're all quite well bound! It's outside of our normal experience; it's the exact opposite of our normal experience of craving/clinging.
  • lol u suck if u open up ur nostrils and take a deep breath you will see that the smell of roses can be found in a rotting corpse..
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    How then is nirvana, the unconditioned, to be realized by looking for it in the conditioned world?
    So do you think of Nirvana as another place or a different realm?
  • Cloud:
    There is only birth and death, and Nirvana is unborn and undying because it is Emptiness... it is the full functioning of the Buddhas.
    Consider also:

"What is empty is ‘samsara’ and what is not empty is great ‘nirvana’"(Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra).
  • Porpoise: Hope this helps:

"When Nagarjuna says in his Madhyamika Shastra that: "That is called Nirvana which is not wanting, is not acquired, is not intermittent, is not non-intermittent, is not subject to destruction, and is not created;" he evidently speaks of Nirvana as a synonym of Dharmakaya, that is, in its first sense as above described. Chandra Kirti, therefore, rightly comments that Nirvana is sarva-kalpanâ-ksaya-rupam, i.e., that which transcends all the forms of determination. Nirvana is an absolute, it is above the relativity of existence (bhâva) and non-existence (abhâva). Nirvana is sometimes spoken of as possessing four attributes; (1) eternal (nitya), (2) blissful (sukha) (3) self-acting (âtman), and (4) pure (shushi). Judging from these qualities thus ascribed to Nirvana as its essential features, Nirvana is here again identified with the highest reality of Buddhism, that is, with the Dharmakaya. It is eternal because it is immaterial; it is blissful because it is above all sufferings; it is self-acting because it knows no compulsion; it is pure because it is not defiled by passion and error" (Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki, Outline of Mahayana Buddhism, p. 347–348).
  • Cloud: Of the Ven. Heng-ching Shih, I am almost sure she is familiar with the fact that the atman is the Buddha-nature according to the Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra.

"The atman is the Tathagatagarbha. All beings possess a Buddha Nature: this is what the atman is. This atman, from the start, is always covered by innumerable passions (klesha): this is why beings are unable to see it."

Turing to emptiness, Zen master Tsung-mi said, as a caution, there is a nihilistic emptiness. "Nihilistic emptiness[means] vacuity, openness, absence, or extinction. It does not refer to the Genuine Mind (zhen shi xin)" (Commentary on Meditative Approaches to the Hua Yen Dharmadhatu). As to this mind, itself, and its relation to the middle way the Lankavatara Sutra says:

“There is the ‘Mind-only,’[cittamâtra] there are no objects to be seen; when there are no objects to see, Mind is not born; and this is called by myself and others the Middle Way."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, sure, Buddha Nature is True Self. But do you really know it? I don't.
    You'll have to excuse me, I've just lost my mind and have to start over.
    ... I've just lost my mind
    I'll keep an eye out for it. ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @porpoise, Don't condemn yourself to be a cyclops. :) I'm not sure what happened, but it just happened. Whatever conviction I had in my own thoughts dropped away and left a deafening, bewildered silence. I don't think I'll be much for discussion for a while, and I just got back too!
    Whatever conviction I had in my own thoughts dropped away and left a deafening, bewildered silence.
    Actually that sounds quite nice. ;)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Nirvana is quite simply the end of birth and death, the end of existence.
    "There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor stasis; neither passing away nor arising: without stance, without foundation, without support [mental object]. This, just this, is the end of stress."
    Draw your own conclusions. But I think 'neither coming, nor going, nor stasis' is quite apparent in saying there is nothing. Nothing unstable, nothing stable. What else can there be?

To me Buddhism with a soul (whether you call it atman, Buddha nature, or true self) doesn't sound true. It's a result of craving for existence. If this was what was meant, the Buddha would have made it more clear in the first teachings.

Apart from this final nirvana, the word nirvana is nowadays also often used for the time between enlightenment and final nirvana. So it has two meanings, sort of mixed up. But all is a bit clearer if you look at the actual meaning of the word, which is rooted in "going out". At enlightenment, there is no more rebirth, so the person 'goes out' already. But it is not final nirvana yet.

So those who think all Buddhists live for an afterlife, consider this. ;) A lot of Buddhist would (in theory) consider an afterlife more suffering and would rather end the process.

Maybe this removes some confusion (or adds some.. )

Just for your reflection.

Metta!
    :)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran

Sounds quite depressing. Isn't that the nihilistic view?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012

Sounds quite depressing. Isn't that the nihilistic view?
    The Buddha called it the highest happiness, the end of dukkha, so it's not that depressing. :p It only sounds depressing with a view of self. But as there is no self, nothing is annihilated. So no, it is not nihilistic. If you understand that, it's not depressing at all.

Metta!
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Ok. It's just that "the end of existence" sounds like nothingness, so just clarifying.
    Apart from this final nirvana, the word nirvana is nowadays also often used for the time between enlightenment and final nirvana. So it has two meanings, sort of mixed up. :)
    Yes, this is a tricky one because in the suttas "nibbana" ( enlightenment ) and "pari-nibbana" ( death of an enlightened one ) are used interchangeably. And I recall that the question of whether an Arahant exists after death was left un-answered.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I still love the quotation I read in TTBLD...

"It matters little whether Heaven [an afterlife] exists or not;
    The important thing is to live life as if it did."
    I think this a great quote.

Living life with a realistic optimism toward the future which also encourages responsibility and integrity ... good stuff.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Apart from this final nirvana, the word nirvana is nowadays also often used for the time between enlightenment and final nirvana. So it has two meanings, sort of mixed up. :)
    Yes, this is a tricky one because in the suttas "nibbana" ( enlightenment ) and "pari-nibbana" ( death of an enlightened one ) are used interchangeably. And I recall that the question of whether an Arahant exists after death was left un-answered.
    It's not really tricky as much as it is confusing at times.

But the suttas provide some clarity:
    This was said by the Lord...

"Bhikkhus, there are these two Nibbana-elements. What are the two? The Nibbana-element with residue left and the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

"What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element with residue left.

"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant... completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all that is experienced, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

"These, bhikkhus, are the two Nibbana-elements."

These two Nibbana-elements were made known
    By the Seeing One, stable and unattached:
    One is the element seen here and now
    With residue, but with the cord of being destroyed;
    The other, having no residue for the future,
    Is that wherein all modes of being utterly cease.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.2.042-049x.irel.html#iti-044
    The Nibbana-with-residue is possible to see here and now. This is the knowledge of no further birth, the cessation of greed, anger and delusion. The other, nibbana-without-residue "wherin all modes of being utterly cease" is referring to the final-nibbana after the death of an enlightened being. Again, draw your own conclusions, but to me this phrasing quite clearly supports the view that nibbana is cessation.

So these two get mixed up. Often people think they are one and the same, maybe thinking what an enlightened being experiences while alife is the same as after dying. But that's not how it is. They have the same nature, but are not the same. Having this two-fold meaning of nibbana in mind removes a lot of confusion.

It's inaccurate to wonder whether an enlightened one exists after death or not, because such a question is asked with an idea of 'self' in mind.

Metta! :D
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Going back to the original question of if you can have a meaningful life without and after-life.

Have any people who don't believe in an afterlife had a meaningful life? I have no doubt that answer is yes.
  • Vinlyn: Many of my friends are between the ages of 18 and 30. The temporal life has meaning at this stage in their life. My friends give little or no thought to what happens after death. But all this changes when you hit 50, or 60 and so on. Like the late Dr. Kübler-Ross, you begin to deeply sense that life goes on after death—and that is really, really meaningful. In her words:

"It [death] is a transition to a higher state of consciousness where you continue to perceive, to understand, to laugh, and to be able to grow.” (Brackets are mine.)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Songhill: I don't disagree with what you have said. I'm 62 with a heart condition. Trust me...I know what goes on in many people's minds as we get older.

But that wasn't the question of the OP. It was whether one can have a meaningful life without an after-life. And I maintain that many people who do not believe in an after-life still have meaningful lives.

Pick someone famous who most would say had a meaningful life. Let's say Mother Theresa. If she was wrong and there is no heaven, does that mean her life was not meaningful?

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It still comes back to the definition of "meaningful" doesn't it?
    I agree most people would attest to her having led a meaningful life.
    However, I maintain that the salient point is that unless each of us as an individual - Mother Teresa, HHDL, Hitler or whoever, perceives themselves as having led a meaningful life, others interpretations are a moot point.
    Buddhist philosophy, like no other body of knowledge which I have found, aligns well with this understanding.