Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are Buddhist's too passive to start something like a necessary revolution? tyrannical gov't

edited June 2012 in Philosophy
Focus on what you are doing in the now, be kind and so forth, eradicate delusions and resist desire.
I understand that...
I understand while having desire mental liberation is beyond ones comprehension, I have been to higher states of awareness and back...

which will get you a long way, that is in a stable environment... I cannot know whether or not reincarnation exists, I do not know and cannot say for certain what is beyond this life therefore I am hesitant to have faith in such things as being reborn in to hell realms and so forth...though....

I do know what is going on in this life, and that is an immense amount of greed, and I have an ever growing distrust in the people who are in control in my country...
I once looked up what to do upon having a flea problem and someone had said that death is an inevitable although should be avoided when possible,
I cannot pick up each flea individually and toss it out the window, if not treated they will continue to grow in number, eventually forcing more beings to die as a pose to me taking care of the problem now to assure i have killed the least amount of living things...

Can violence ever be justified, if not? then what... i shall practice peace and erase the root of evil from within myself, which is passive in the grand scheme, and although noble it is giving heartless oppressors the room they need to continue their evil deeds, I have respect for the people who have responded to my other discussion posts, salute to you and this website, can i get some ideas on this topic from you all?????

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What type of protest has been more succesful throughout history, peaceful or violent? Most of the violent coups I can think of resulted in the overthrowing group to become just as bad as the previous rule. IMO peaceful revolution is the only kind that lasts.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Focus on what you are doing in the now, be kind and so forth, eradicate delusions and resist desire.
    I understand that...
    I understand while having desire mental liberation is beyond ones comprehension, I have been to higher states of awareness and back...

which will get you a long way, that is in a stable environment... I cannot know whether or not reincarnation exists, I do not know and cannot say for certain what is beyond this life therefore I am hesitant to have faith in such things as being reborn in to hell realms and so forth...though....

I do know what is going on in this life, and that is an immense amount of greed, and I have an ever growing distrust in the people who are in control in my country...
    I once looked up what to do upon having a flea problem and someone had said that death is an inevitable although should be avoided when possible,
    I cannot pick up each flea individually and toss it out the window, if not treated they will continue to grow in number, eventually forcing more beings to die as a pose to me taking care of the problem now to assure i have killed the least amount of living things...

Can violence ever be justified, if not? then what... i shall practice peace and erase the root of evil from within myself, which is passive in the grand scheme, and although noble it is giving heartless oppressors the room they need to continue their evil deeds, I have respect for the people who have responded to my other discussion posts, salute to you and this website, can i get some ideas on this topic from you all?????
    I like your last paragraph. Imagine the good in your mind and others if you never harm anyone. What happens when warlords are put down by imperialists? I really don't know. I think I will avoid violence as that is my true path. I need not feel guilty for not overthrowing tyrants. I am only responsible for my actions and I cannot bring an end to hot and cold, evil and good.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    PoisonFlowerz
    although noble it is giving heartless oppressors the room they need to continue their evil deeds,
    No, it isn't, because they aren't completely heartless. Your example may awaken their hearts (Ashoka?), whereas more violence will further harden them. It will also make monsters even of the most idealistic revolutionaries.
    "We don't need proof to execute a man. We only need proof that it's necessary to execute him. A revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate."
    Che Guevara
    too many cops, too many guns, all trying to do something no one else has done
    PJ Harvey Big Exit
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The point is for it to spread. People in Buddhism generally work to spread it in some way or another. I don't mean proselytizing or any such thing. For example, our immediate family has 5 people. Myself, my husband and our 3 children. My embracing Buddhism to the point I have so far, and talking to my family about it, has had an effect on them. My children may or may not decide to be Buddhist as they grow up. But the foundations they have grown with in the past many months hopefully will stick, and they will pass it on to those they interact with, and their families, and it grows exponentially over time.

You don't meet violence, hatred and bad deeds, with more violence, hatred and bad deeds. You really can only change yourself, but, upon changing yourself others come along with you on the journey if you are willing to share that with them.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It was very disappointing to be living in Thailand during the Red Shirt protests...then riots...then the arson of 31 buildings...the throwing of hand grenades into markets...and all sorts of other violence, committed by people who self-identify as Buddhists.
  • I wish I could say violence is never justified. A lot of violence I read about out there is certainly not justified. But, it is a fact that when the people in charge are willing to murder and torture to maintain their power, then violence becomes the only way to change anything. The slave has the right to rebell. The victim of tyranny has the right to revolt. The problem is, people can convince themselves they are victims when in fact they're justifying their hatreds.

Actions have consequences. The brutal dictator is sowing the karmic seeds of a violent overthrow with each political prisoner he tortures in a secret location. Non-violent protest only works when the population at large has a say in the official response. Most people can sympathize with the powerless because we feel that way sometimes in our own lives. But, if a small group of people have all the power, they are happy to commit genocide if need be to keep that power. Mass graves around the world are a testament to the uselessness of non-violence when faced with that sort of response.

@Cinorjer -- very good, balanced post.
  • Violent revolutions

The French or Russian Revolution?
    Communist Revolution in China?
    Libyan, Egyptian, Syrian revolts.

Saffron Revolution in Myanmar involving violence done by others to oneself. Maybe it did achieve something but was it worth it putting oneself in harms way? More importantly did it lead to freedom from greed, hatred and delusion.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    We all prefer non-violence means, but some times violence is necessary to destroy ruthless regimes. I try my best to use pacifist means prevent the violence in the situation. Yet, would pacifism stopped Hitler, Qaddafi, or even Assad?
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    Is using violence to end violence a long term solution to ending suffering? Or is it a short term means to end some suffering, while extending or promoting suffering later on?

IMO, using violence to end violence is merely reenforcing violence.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Is using violence to end violence a long term solution to ending suffering? Or is it a short term means to end some suffering, while extending or promoting suffering later on?

Yet sometimes brutal regimes don't change due to pacifism and you must have to through force.

Ever heard of "Relative Political Pacifism?" It was an term invented by Bertrand Russell to explain his reasoning to support WWII, but he was an pacifist.

"War was always a great evil, but in some particularly extreme circumstances, it may be the lesser of two evils."
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited June 2012
    You know violence is justified by the fact that when it is, there is no other reasonable option that even seems worthy of consideration.

It is only possible to see the situation that requires violence when one is fully accepting what is happening in that moment (feelings, emotions, thoughts, sensations...) while not acting on any of it.

This of course will not offer any divine protection, justification, rationalization or whatever thing you might cling to to hide from the part of you that is the aggressor. In such a situation, you are fully prepared to face consequences, which may be extremely painful to bear - both emotionally of physically.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran

Yet sometimes brutal regimes don't change due to pacifism and you must have to through force.

Ever heard of "Relative Political Pacifism?" It was an term invented by Bertrand Russell to explain his reasoning to support WWII, but he was an pacifist.

"War was always a great evil, but in some particularly extreme circumstances, it may be the lesser of two evils."
    I recently watched a great movie called Defiance (based on a true story) about a group of jews who fought back against the violence of the nazis in Belarus in a very interesting way. They started a community in the forest. They welcomed all refugees into the community as long as they worked for the good of the whole. They suffered a lot in their forest community: driven out of their first location, starved, disease, in-fighting, etc. By the end the war the community had managed to survive with around 1200 people (they started with like 5). There was violence used by the community in certain cases and sometimes not simply to save their own lives from immediate danger. In either case I feel the movie was showing that growing, thriving, living was the best opposition to a brutal regime.

I don't claim to know what is right and wrong when it comes to a brutal dictator that kills millions of people. Perhaps it is rooted in our lack of action before it arrives at such a state. Perhaps we need to improve community, across the globe. Perhaps at this stage in our development, violence is the only answer. Perhaps pacifism is only limited by our willingness to fall back on violence.

What I do know is that when war comes up... there are a lot of less than skillful people who see an opportunity to make a profit. This is why America has been in so many wars over the years... we are have an industrial-military-complex. Use genocide as an excuse to take us into war... use war as a glorification of "good" actions... garner support from the ignorant public....There are a number of horrible genocides happening right now, so where are the wars to stop them? My guess is, if they don't have something worth having (money, oil, strategic locations, etc), then they aren't worth fighting (at least the US).

I would like to know your take on my original question: Is the use of violence a long term solution to end suffering? Does a brutal regime justify spawning a culture of glorified war and violence?

A good post. Those who are always pacifist accomplish little. Those who are always "warring" accomplish little. Perhaps the middle ground is being able to decide when one approach is necessary over the other.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Is the use of violence a long term solution to end suffering? Does a brutal regime justify spawning a culture of glorified war and violence?

I think so, yes, on both accounts. First, what would the world be like if the Nazi's had never been stopped? Would there be more or less suffering in the world than there is today? We certainly have experienced different forms of suffering in the world that came about after WWII, but in many cases we can opt out of that suffering and make different choices, better choices. If the Nazi's controlled the world we would not be able to make those choices. They would be made for us, or we'd be killed.

Second, I think the culture created by letting brutal regimes retain control and spread their vicious cultures, is worse than one in which violence and war are glorified, such as much of our world today. It certainly isn't a good place for humanity to be, but there is still hope for a way out. If our world were filled with Husseins and Quaddafis and Mubareks and Hitlers and Bin Ladens, there would be less truth to be had, less love to give and receive. Our world right now certainly isn't a perfect place, but in many places you can still choose to make your life what it is without being tortured or killed over it. Of course one day I hope all places have that freedom, but at least it exists. If no one ever took a stand against terror, there would be far fewer of those places.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @B5C, @Mithryl, @Vinlyn, @Karasti

Is it safe to say that you believe there is skillful violence?
    I would say there is necessary violence.

I'll have to think longer about whether it is skillful.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited June 2012
    There is never skillful violence against another being. In an imperfect world, it may be necessary to choose one unskillful action over another unskillful action (i.e. killing the person who is literally about to kill you in that very second), but that has never meant premeditated violence.

There are a million nonviolent methods before us. Sabotaging vehicles, sit-ins, boycotting schooling, boycotting certain goods, strikes, etc. etc., many nonviolent (nonviolent against beings--perhaps, though, violent against machinery, lol) methods have been used by cultures in the past, as a form of resistance.

There is a long, long way to go with these more extreme, nonviolent methods before any violent method could be said to be justified. The problem is, sabotaging vehicles will result in reprisals. But violence against the Chinese soldiers would result in as many (or worse) reprisals. Personally I think it may be time to consider industrial sabotage, that type of thing.

But if that seems to be going too far, there are even less-extreme cultural initiatives that can have effect--refusing to speak Chinese, refusing to send your child to a Chinese school, etc. The problem, again, is reprisals.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @Sile is war premeditated violence?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @Sile is war premeditated violence?
    Absolutely. Well--declaring war is. Resisting war declared on you is subject to interpretation.

And that's the rub--when the Chinese bombed the monasteries and towns, did the monks have the right to fight back? Did the townspeople?

If a PLA soldier has a rifle aimed at you, do you have the right to return fire? Or just flee? I think the Buddhist explanation is, always, "Only if you have no other choice."

• B5CB5C Veteran
    Also it's base in the intent of the killing. If you have to kill to defend your own life, your family, and friends. Would it be an lesser evil?

Hitler and his war machine was brutal. We were fighting a war between fascism and democracy. What would be worse? Living under a brutal, but orderly fascist state or a good, but chaotic state?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Also it's base in the intent of the killing.
    Intent in relation to killing seems like a very slippery slope.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Most people who kill seem to think it's in a good cause.

Buddha said you could defend yourself if attacked, but not with the intention to kill.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    Most people who kill seem to think it's in a good cause.

Buddha said you could defend yourself if attacked, but not with the intention to kill.
    :clap:

For me, you hit the nail on the head with that first statement. "God is on our side" is a common expression that points to this. I don't/can't know exactly what Hitler was thinking when he started his rampage in Europe, but I can't help but believe that he felt it was for a good cause (however misguided this was). Minus those who have reach sufficient wisdom, we are all prisoner of our perspectives, and as such we will inevitably make a decision with incomplete information with our assumptions filling the gaps. Our ego will tell us we know enough to make a decision, but who are we kidding?

He may not be the best person to quote... or maybe he is: from Wikipedia:

Hermann Göring described, during an interview at the Nuremberg Trials, how denouncing and outlawing pacifism was an important part of the Nazis' seizure of power: "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
  • mithrilmithril Veteran

Yes.

• B5CB5C Veteran

Yes. I hate it, but it is an reality. Violence and suffering will be part of human nature. True pacifism will happen only if the majority of the world supports it and actually does something. Yet, we have many cultures who believe is a good thing. From my times when I was an Conservative. We believe violence and suffering is the best way to solver problems. Why? Violence and suffering is much more easier to control people with than peaceful means.

Need some oil, but another nation has it? Take it from them or establish a coup to give you a good deal. (Example: Iraq, Libyan civil war, & 1953 Iranian coup d'état.)

Got this guy who goes on the radio spewing information that you do like or leaking information? Kill him or torture him in prison. (Example: Samir Khan, Bradley Manning, & Julian Assange.)

Could have been an peaceful chance for stopping Hitler? Nope, so war was the last option to stop his campaign.

Yes.

I can't see how violence is ever skillful. There may be different degrees of unskillfulness though
  • edited June 2012
    @porpoise

I have heard it told that in a Mahayana suttras there is a story about Buddha's, or a Buddha, performing some violent related act of valor thereby achieving merit. Although if I were put in some situation where I had the choice of fighting valiantly for justice or running away... it be a tursiop.
    After living in Thailand, there is one perspective that I have that may somewhat cover this general topic. It is considered unskillful in Thailand to make someone else loose face. At first, that "mai pben rai" attitude seems good. Until it results in not solving issues.
    After living in Thailand, there is one perspective that I have that may somewhat cover this general topic. It is considered unskillful in Thailand to make someone else loose face. At first, that "mai pben rai" attitude seems good. Until it results in not solving issues.
    Maybe the skillfulness comes in being able to resolve problems without making the other person "lose face"?
    Maybe the skillfulness comes in being able to resolve problems without making the other person "lose face"?
    I think if the Thais generally thought things out that far, I would agree. But they don't.

Let me give you an example. As you walk around Bangkok it is not unusual to see amputees begging on the streets. After a while, while living there long enough to get to know a couple of them, I found out that many of them are the result of industrial accidents. They will say, "Mai pben rai". And the factories (etc.) never really get held responsible...so little progress is made on work safety.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    There are many types of revolutionary. One doesn't have to be violent. Compassion for others can motivate revolutionary activity, which could be seen as a type of humanitarian pursuit. My thoughts on the subject.
    They will say, "Mai pben rai". And the factories (etc.) never really get held responsible...so little progress is made on work safety.
    I wonder if there's a comparison to political correctness in the west - people being so worried about the language they use that they can't say what they really mean?

They will say, "Mai pben rai". And the factories (etc.) never really get held responsible...so little progress is made on work safety.
    I wonder if there's a comparison to political correctness in the west - people being so worried about the language they use that they can't say what they really mean?

I hadn't thought about that, but to some extent I think that is true.

The first time I really thought about "mai pben rai" was when I was having a discussion with a Thai person and was watching them frantically try to say something meaningful without actually disagreeing with me. I realized that, to them, not making me lose faith was their prime concern...not having an honest conversation.

It's sort of the idea about not sweating the small stuff. But, not all in life is "small stuff". It has infected their political and national life in such a way that it greatly prevents the solving of national problems.

• King Dutthagamini of Sri Lanka undertook a war to spread Buddhism after which, being successful, he was still grieved by the slaughter. The Arahants consoled him by saying that he had actually killed only one and a half people. One person was a full Buddhist, the other (the “half person”) had only kept the Five Precepts but had not taken refuge!
    King Dutthagamini of Sri Lanka undertook a war to spread Buddhism after which, being successful, he was still grieved by the slaughter. The Arahants consoled him by saying that he had actually killed only one and a half people. One person was a full Buddhist, the other (the “half person”) had only kept the Five Precepts but had not taken refuge!
    Do you have an historical reference for that?