Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sitting with ALL emotions

AMHAMH
edited June 2012 in Diet & Habits
I have been able to practice more lately with sitting with ALL emotions. There is so much valuable information in this practice. I do not see a way to follow the 8fold path as more than a list of rules without sitting with all emotions. Here is what I have seen in just the last week of careful observance of sitting with emotions.
* when i look back to when i started this years ago I had to set aside time to really do it, now it is more naturally a part of my daily life.
* stronger emotions or ones that are not as common to me can take energy
* my interaction with others is less reactionary by far
* sitting with my emotions makes me less scared of others emotions, and therefore able to sit with them while not adding to their process.
* no emotion lasts very long, what is seen as negative or positive
* negative and positive judgements of emotion have passed to a large degree.
* I am capable of being right here, right now, without emotions pushing me into worry and regret, worry and regret are from emotions that were put off and not felt.
* it is still okay to consciously say that you need to put something aside to handle what is in front of you,

Okay, not sure where it belongs, the conversation is open to others experiences.

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2012
    That is good. released emotion . Unobstructed body and mind is very nice when sitting. Still sometimes, depending on what is going on in life, even the most experienced meditator will just have sit with/as being bunged up. There is freedom in just being bunged up too... it is only human. But sure... more and more spontaneous unbinding.. like a stream of release.
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    @AMH, there you go. Great insights.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    This was a good thing to read for me today. I am going through something with my family that is emotionally challenging and difficult, as well as logically and legally difficult. My grandma is in the hospital, ill and likely short on her remaining days. She has lived next door to me for most of my life, and I have taken care of her up until the point she went to the hospital. The family is trying to decide what to do to honor her wishes and her living will, but some of the family isn't ready to let her go even if it is her wish. Some other members of the family are already arguing over who gets what and why. It's a lot to deal with and I've spent a lot of time just trying to be there for my grandma and comfort her (which is hard because she is 120 miles away) and deal with all the family stuff. I have found meditating more does help keep it clear in my mind and helps keep my priorities straight. Thanks for the reminder :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I liked reading about it too. I have voices all day and night since February and have been doing sitting meditation all day. I can always go to the breath no matter how hurt feelings I have from what the voices say to me.

It's nice to hear of another spiritual seeker as I did in your post.