Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Buddhism support the idea of time travel or refute it?

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited July 2012 in Philosophy
Because Buddhism believes in a constant stream of consciousness and cause and effect, does the current understanding of time travel work with or work against these ideas?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    against.
    Precisely because it's current, and Buddhism is timeless.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Time is change, rather than something separate. This is why Einstein came up with "space-time". In Buddhism time is something of an illusion. The past is no more, the future is as yet un-arisen, there is only this moment and then the moment that comes next. Space-time is this one moment of birth-and-death followed by the next moment of birth-and-death, empty of any self essence (in other words Emptiness), driven by causality/conditionality.

To reverse time is to reverse change, to reverse causality. If reversing causality were possible, that would be a kind of backward time-travel, but who knows? In either case it's not traveling through time, but changing space-time in momentary increments either way... there'd be no way to skip the changes being spun forward or backward to a particular "time".

It would be something if time were actually independent, rather than an abstract measurement of change, but that's the whole ball of yarn right there. It's change that we have to "change" to get to another specific moment.
  • Because Buddhism believes in a constant stream of consciousness and cause and effect, does the current understanding of time travel work with or work against these ideas?
    Clearly against, because if time travel were possible we could all just go back in time and stop our births. No more rebirth!
  • Don't know, but right now is dinner time.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Actions cannot be changed, Therefore no Time travel.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2012
    "If the past or the future is real please show them to me"
    -I am paraphrasing a quote from another person whose name I can't recall.
    All we have is now. Everything else is just thinking.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Neither, because Buddhism is only concerned with suffering and the end of suffering?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @seeker242, Well said! I prefer your answer. :)
  • The minimum of time is 5.4 x 10-44 seconds, the time it takes to travel a Planck length (1.616199 × 10-35 meters). Beyond this minimum length and time (samsara) is the timeless immeasurable (nirvana) from which all time-events are accessible at once.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    does the current understanding of time travel
    There is no current understanding of time travel.
  • Neither, because the only reality is right here and right now. Even if you travel through "time" you will always be right here and right now.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    IMO
    Although human conditioning imposes the idea that time is linear, I doubt that the stream of consciousness or cause & effect, is subject to such limitations.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Time travel into the future is possible due to relativity theory. This has been proven scientifically. This is also the reason why GPS sattelite clocks run at a different rate than clocks on earth. So any decent informed Buddhist (or any person for that matter) would agree that time travel into the future is possible. (although not really practical for humans to travel far into the future)

But does Buddhism as a Teaching have anything to say about it? No. It doesn't refute it and it doesn't support it, because it's not important to end suffering.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Because Buddhism believes in a constant stream of consciousness and cause and effect, does the current understanding of time travel work with or work against these ideas?
    I couldn't find a sutta specifically on time travel (!) but generally the suttas seem to conform to the arrow of time, in other words there is arising followed by cessation but not the other way round.
    ....we could all just go back in time and stop our births.
    It sounds like an episode from Star Trek.. :p
  • I know this was a silly idea to bring together with Buddhism. Forgive my random curiosity; I was more or less trying to fix my understanding of the stream rather than actually question time travel.
    Time travel into the future is possible due to relativity theory. This has been proven scientifically.
    Wouldn't this support the idea of fate, though?
  • does the current understanding of time travel
    There is no current understanding of time travel.
    Yes, that's true. There is plenty of speculation, but science is still plumbing the depths of reality.

I suppose in Buddhism, we say the past and future are connected through karma, and use the term dependent origination to describe the process. But the overall time based cosmology is one of a wheel, where time travel eventually happens because time itself is a universal repeating loop. But that doesn't mean people are fated to repeat their past events again.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Time travel into the future is possible due to relativity theory. This has been proven scientifically.
    Wouldn't this support the idea of fate, though?
    No, because it is time that is relative to the frame of reference. It's not like the future is set and you go there as a 'guest' or something. It's when you travel at high speed, time for you (from our point of view) is slower. So you age less fast than we do. If you travel like this for a while, and return to us, you'll be -say- 1 year older and we are 5 years older. So you traveled 4 years 'into' the future as it were. But it is not really time travel as it is in the fiction books and movies. Also because it is one way, you can't go back.

Fate can even be disproven with quantum theory, which -as of current understanding- says that the position of particles is given by a probability. So you can never know for sure where a particle (or atom, or molecule, or baseball or whatever) will be or go, but let's not go there. :crazy:

Ok.. this hasn't got a lot to do with Buddhism :p
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'm a Buddhist and I fully support the idea of time travel. :rockon:

• ....we could all just go back in time and stop our births.
    It sounds like an episode from Star Trek.. :p
    I was thinking like the Terminator. We could send Arnold Schwarzenegger back in time to stop all our births! No more sentient beings... just robots I guess.
    We could send Arnold Schwarzenegger back in time to stop all our births!
    :D
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Getting around various paradoxes would be a challenge.

I'd rather travel to a parallel universe with a different version of the timeline than risk bumping into myself in this one :D
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    why wouldnt Jet Li just kill himself and let his alter-ego be the one - he got down to the final 2... worse still they banished him to a world where he had to constantly fight - eventually he'd tire, be beaten to death and that would leave just one - surely they would have to have killed both of them simultaneously?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Neither, because the only reality is right here and right now. Even if you travel through "time" you will always be right here and right now.
    That's pretty much it. Even if we were to travel backwards in time, we are still forging ahead logically.

Plus I don't think it would work the way many imagine it to anyways. There would be no resetting a timeframe that is already there. A new one would be created like a vein in a leaf.

If I went back in time to kill my father I doubt I would disappear. A new timeline would branch off the old one wherever the interaction was made and unless I found my way back I would be living in a world where who I was when I arrived will come early with no historical record of who I am except my blood and DNA (eventually DNA leastways).

In the original timeline, I will simply have disappeared and my father would continue his existence (well, not really as he's passed on long ago but you get my point, lol) and if I was able to return I would see that my effort was in fruitless as far as my experience was concerned.

Plus just imagine the negative karma I'd be sowing.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    When we look up at the stars (or what seems like up to us), a fraction of them aren't even there because they died before their light hit us.

In a sense that is seeing back in time I guess.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The Dalai Lama said that if science proves something then he would change his view if there were proof.

However, Buddhism I think time is psychological time rather than physics time. In psychological time the past is dependently derived in the present. Past is memory. The present can be divided again and again or in other words we can never 'be' in the present though that is of course how it feels. The future is also dependent on the past and future. I haven't realized this learning but I read it in a book and it has to deal with the relationship between non-self and impermanence which I would like to realize in my meditation.
    However, Buddhism I think time is psychological time rather than physics time.
    Yes, it's concerned with human experience rather than with physics. Our perception of time.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Nah, time isn't actually real, it's a human construct based on the fallacy of cause and effect. Things seem to be happening sequentially but in reality all is manifesting simultaneously.

"All time is relative" therefore all time is irrelevant.

People saw the sun rising and falling and the seasons changing and created its measure based on that. The length of a day would have been very different thousands of years ago, and when that concept of day out of the window, hours, minutes, years, all go out the window with it.

Time is also experienced subjectively - "time flies when you're having fun" "a minute of pain can be an eternity" but not absolutely.

We have this thing called an hour, but if astronomers or whoever it was had calculated things differently what is an hour to us could have ended up being two hours.

You can't go back in time because time isn't real. It's simply a measure of causality, which also isn't real.

I realized all that when I was really, really high once, a few years ago, but it still makes sense to me. Sort of. :buck:
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    Great point @RebeccaS I agree.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    @RebeccaS, Could you explain what you mean by causality isn't real?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Cloud, I think Dogen said something that wood is burned out totally and is not in the ash.

But it's a rangtong shentong thing. Rangtong, such as his holiness the dalai lama believes that each moment is caused by another in succession. At least that's one presentation he gave in a book I read, ethics for the new millenia.

The shentong view is that thoughts come from nowhere, abide nowhere, and go nowhere. Matter is just the form skhanda of mind, which is actually the cittamatra view, I am not sure the shentong.

An example is that in shentong, relative bodhicitta is not real. It is just a perception we have as we go on the path. Relative bodhicitta is love as we learn a skill. It grows with age. Ultimate bodhicitta is in the nature of mind to perceive and a baby has it as well the hunger and ignorance. Relative bodhicitta is not real because we don't have totally vast reliable knowledge and it may even hinder us like the full teacup and the zen master overlowing.
  • @RebeccaS, Could you explain what you mean by causality isn't real?
    It's an illusion. It looks like a this causes a that, but there is no this, and there is no that, everything is one. It looks like causality and linear sequence to the ego, but everything is occurring simultaneously, as the manifest expression of the unfolding of the universe.

That part makes less sense now I'm sober, but I get the idea.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @RebeccaS
    I'll have to explain this better later. On the mundane level causality is evident, while I'd agree that causality doesn't apply to each new moment of existence in the absolute sense (because it's always something new).

And so causality at least exists on one level, and it's my understanding that both the mundane/conceptual and the supramundane/absolute are simultaneously expressed.
  • If subject and object are one, how can one cause the other? It can't. They're both the same "it".
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    You can say that a seed is the cause of a plant as if the point of the seed is to grow the plant... but then again you can say that the purpose of the plant is to grow the seed... so which one is it? It's actually one single event instead of separate parts, just like all the business going on in our body that we call a single organism, and yet we too are just a play in an event larger than ourselves.
  • I don't see what would be the problem with time travel... However, I do see a problem with trying to change anything about the past, because of causality. Everything that has happened in the past has already happened, including you being in the past trying to change something. So if you try to go back and, say, stop Hitler from entering politics, then we already know that you have failed because Hitler did enter politics.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @RebeccaS
    If we think of everything (or the universe) as being the "same thing", this is the same as supposing there is an unchanging self. If it were the same thing, it couldn't possibly manifest appearances of things and beings and change. There wouldn't be any experience whatsoever, reality would be "static".

The entirety of "what is" is something new in each moment, and so it's not the same thing... how could it be? Again I'd say that the mundane/conceptual and the supramundane/absolute exist simultaneously and are both valid. Causality applies to the one of these, and the other is something new in each moment. There is the "nature" of causality... but it can't apply to an unchanging "thing" or self. That would be a contradiction, an oxymoron or what have you.
  • I can't say I'm the expert in this, it was one very strange night on horse tranquilizers, but since then I have discovered the school of non dualism (not sure if it's technically a form of Buddhism, but the ideas and principles are the same) and non-duality teaches essentially the same thing - that causality is an illusion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Can someone else explain what I'm trying to get at, preferably much better than I am? :D

If we throw out causality, we throw out karma and dependent origination.
    We throw out rebirth, we throw out liberation as something a path can lead to.

We'd never get from point A to point B without causality.
    There's a philosophy that denies causality, but the Buddha taught causality...
  • I know it's something to do with particles - the theory that there is only one particle, and that numerous particles aren't just copies (the same way you'd get two identical tennis balls) but they're the SAME particle. Not just alike in nature, but one.

So if you rotate one particle on one side of the universe, the particle on the other side of the universe also rotates. (Don't ask me how they found THAT out :p )
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Oh @RebeccaS you make me so sad! If you're start mixing Buddhism up with science like quantum entanglement, I don't know where that's going to lead except to confusion and frustration. ;) In Buddhism there's a moment of birth-and-death followed by another. Causality links these in the same way it links a human birth to a human death... but the human is anything but the "same" through that process. The idea of an unchanging self, of same-ness, is the illusion. There's something but it's not as limited as what we think it is... and on another level there aren't things or beings. These are two dual sides of reality, resulting in the non-dual reality that contains both.

Can anyone please help me out here? I feel not so up to this task!
    edited July 2012
    I can't help it! I just love physics.

And Buddhism and physics go together like tuna and mayo in my book, but I know that it's not for everyone.

I struggle with the karma idea and the nature of consequence, too, in light of the theory that cause and effect are illusion, but that just makes it more interesting to me. The theory could, of course, be entirely wrong, but it definitely makes me question what I think I already know, so even if it's wrong I'll have benefited from it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @RebeccaS, I hear you. I love science too and that's part of the reason Buddhism clicked, but scientific theory can be wrong as often as right. The things it seems to have definitively shown, such as cause and effect, are hard to ignore. I think the Buddha teaching causality, and then much later science coming to the same conclusion, is compelling. Our very life experiences of causality are compelling; we accept it even if we're still stuck on what we are (what happens to us after death and what-not) because we're clinging.

There's a lot in science that is "iffy", unstable, but the heart of it works because of causality. Everything works because of causality, or there'd be no linkage between anything. I think the word "illusion" is misleading... it leads one to think something doesn't actually happen or exist... but rather it's "delusion" at play, seeing things incorrectly rather than how they actually are.

If you truly believe causality is an illusion, place your hand in a fire. ;) (Please don't though.)
    edited July 2012
    @RebeccaS, I hear you. I love science too and that's part of the reason Buddhism clicked, but scientific theory can be wrong as often as right. The things it seems to have definitively shown, such as cause and effect, are hard to ignore. I think the Buddha teaching causality, and then much later science coming to the same conclusion is compelling.
    He also taught to question everything he taught, I just see this as me doing that.
    There's a lot in science that is "iffy", unstable, but the heart of it works because of causality. Everything works because of causality.
    Not necessarily, that's what I love about science, it's all "the theory of this" and "the theory of that". I know some people say "the law of gravity" but it's still just a theory. And that leaves it open to things like quantum mechanics and theoretical physics. Nothing is set in stone.

We might discover something that blows causality out of the water - something that the school of non-duality claims to have already done - and we have little things that might be pointing to just that that idea, like entanglement. I mean, that's really oversimplifying it, but the principle holds.
    I think the word "illusion" is misleading... it leads one to think something doesn't actually happen or exist... but rather it's "delusion" at play, seeing things incorrectly rather than how they actually are.
    Well put.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    And hey I've done acid and shrooms and stuff earlier in my life; I wouldn't take those experiences to be indicative of "reality". If you believe what you do because of an experience on horse tranquilizers, I'd recommend meditation instead! Question everything sure, but don't just stop there... investigate, and keep investigating, until you see. Our views change constantly with direct experience of the nature of mind, which is how the Path works (with causality/karma at play *cough*). ;)

What would be interesting would be to understand this school of Buddhism that you're talking about, so I'm going to do some research and try to understand if it's something other schools of Buddhism accept, or if it's only provisionally accepted in a certain way, or what. Of course I usually go back to what the Buddha taught when in doubt, because if he was fully enlightened (which is something we have to have faith or confidence in) then he understood the process from our perspective as well as from the perspective of emptiness. There have been other forms of Buddhism and some things make sense, but the upturning or denial of what the Buddha taught has to have some compelling evidence or a way to find out (for me).
    edited July 2012
    Ha!

No, you're totally right. Everything is subject to change.

As far as horse tranquilizers go, I don't do drugs anymore, but... Well, I guess you just had to be there :)
  • Can someone else explain what I'm trying to get at, preferably much better than I am? :D

If we throw out causality, we throw out karma and dependent origination.
    We throw out rebirth, we throw out liberation as something a path can lead to.

We'd never get from point A to point B without causality.
    There's a philosophy that denies causality, but the Buddha taught causality...
    Yeah, we'd never get from point A to point B without causality. But what actually caused us to get from point A to point B? Was it the car that we drove? or was it the gasoline in the car? or was it the road signs? Normally we rule out everything that we have no control over, like the oxygen in the atmosphere. We wouldn't get very far without that, yet it's hardly ever considered causal in our lives. Maybe it's the dark matter in the universe that causes us to get from point A to point B.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Neither, because the only reality is right here and right now. Even if you travel through "time" you will always be right here and right now.
    In fact there has never even been a present moment apart from an experience of it. What is present is really an immediate past. Time is just a convention

That is freakin GENIUS!