Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Psychological problems arising from meditation practice?

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2012 in Meditation
Somebody asked me about this recently, and it isn't something I've come across - so I thought I'd ask you! Have you experienced or heard about any psychological problems arising from meditation practice?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    only betterment....

I think to have psychological problems, you may already have to have psychological problems... it depends what they mean.
    could they clarify?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    It was just a general question.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I think meditation methods can be misused just like anything else.
    I think meditation methods can be misused just like anything else.
    So do you think there are any risks involved for people who aren't able to access meditation instruction and just do their own thing?
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I'd say it's always advisable to have an experienced teacher, but if it's not possible, there is plenty of instruction out there. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The key thing, imo, is not too exclude any aspect of ourselves in our practice and not push too hard. In some cases if there are psychological or medical problems that get in the way of meditation, it may be not advisable to meditate, but again I'd say a good teacher will be able to tell.
  • When anyone meditates, they're just sitting down (or maybe walking, or whatever) and doing nothing. You're also paying attention to something: your breath, or your thoughts, or some mantra. What could be more harmless than that?

Like so called "hypnotic states", meditation can tap into our ability to role play with a touch of imagination. You sit and think, "This is me, meditating. This is me, doing something profound and special. Om.... Om.... I'm entering an altered state of consciousness!" but it's still just you sitting there with your legs folded under you using your everyday mind. There is great value in meditation, but some of us Zen meditators try to remember that the value comes from learning how to focus on your everyday life.

I believe if you have some sort of mental problem, meditation will allow it to be seen in all its scariness because you've removed distractions and focused on your mind. Sometimes you'll be surprised with unexpected bouts of crying or laughter because...just because the mind is a messy place for all of us. It will pass. I've known many people who meditate, and I can't say any of them were ever worse off for meditating.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Have you experienced or heard about any psychological problems arising from meditation practice?
    Not heard of any problems arising from meditation practice - have heard of someone astrally projecting, becoming obsessed with the occult and then having to be taken out of school - think they made it in the end though.

Mental health is complicated - very generally, people are susceptible to mental health issues (as to physical health issues) - lots of things can trigger, collude etc - its challenging pointing to one source.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    I think a sesshin or a retreat is to be handled with care.

In meditation we reduce the input of stimulus, and it seems the mind responds to that with increasing its sensitivity. It responds with opening up, much like an automatic diaphragm in a camera will do.

People who are hypersensitive already should not do that, maybe.

When we are hypersensitive we must be cautious. I know that I can get emotional over nothing. I think it’s important to be aware of this unbalance, and we should avoid intense situations if we can and not make drastic decisions. We should give ourselves some time to return to our usual level of sensitivity (or lack thereof).
    When anyone meditates, they're just sitting down (or maybe walking, or whatever) and doing nothing. You're also paying attention to something: your breath, or your thoughts, or some mantra. What could be more harmless than that?
    Yes, it's hard to imagine somebody being harmed as a result of doing "basic" practices like mindfulness of breathing. But I don't think it would be advisable for somebody with anxiety or depression to meditate on decomposing corpses for example.

• When we are hypersensitive we must be cautious. I know that I can get emotional over nothing. I think it’s important to be aware of this unbalance, and we should avoid intense situations if we can and not make drastic decisions. We should give ourselves some time to return to our usual level of sensitivity (or lack thereof).
    I think so. Many years ago, when I was young, if I tried to meditate, I became irritable; in this time my mind was full of resentment and rage, so any meditation attempt finished early. For these reason I left the practice.
    Now, I'm not young, but my life is still complicated, so I returned to the practice of meditation, and now it helps me a lot, in fact, thanks to meditation I have recovered the enjoyment of life, although all my problems.
    So I think the answer of the question is "yes": maybe it's not recommendable the practice for minds highly stressed, like mine when I was young.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    As I said....

I think to have psychological problems, you may already have to have psychological problems...
  • As I said....

I think to have psychological problems, you may already have to have psychological problems...
    I believe you hit the nail on the head, federica -- meditation could never *cause* psychological problems, one would need to have psychological problems (diagnosed or undiagnosed) to begin with....
  • When anyone meditates, they're just sitting down (or maybe walking, or whatever) and doing nothing. You're also paying attention to something: your breath, or your thoughts, or some mantra. What could be more harmless than that?
    Yes, it's hard to imagine somebody being harmed as a result of doing "basic" practices like mindfulness of breathing. But I don't think it would be advisable for somebody with anxiety or depression to meditate on decomposing corpses for example.
    Eww! I swear, sometimes I wonder about those Tantric type meditators.

Although some of my best meditation was when I lived right outside Arlington National Cemetary, and I'd walk out through acre upon acre of gravestones and sit down under a tree. It was so calm and peaceful. I didn't meditate on the nature of death or war in particular, but it was certainly present in every breath I took.
  • I know that some types of psychological illnesses are recommended to be cautious with longer meditations. They can trigger a manic phase for those with bipolar disorders. Meditationdoes not cause this and I think the biggest concern would be for those who do not have a good understanding of their brain and how is reacts to different experiences.

I am trying my first extended meditation this weekend. I will be aware if I start to not be okay. I like this chance because it is close to home and I have a day to readjust if needed. However I think that with my history I am very aware of my mental states and as long as I steer clear of feeling awkward taking care of my stability it will be okay. Well I will tell you after Saturday.
    As I said....

I believe you hit the nail on the head, federica -- meditation could never *cause* psychological problems, one would need to have psychological problems (diagnosed or undiagnosed) to begin with....
    I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I suspect that doing a lot of meditation on death and corpses ( whatever ) could adversely affect somebody who was psychologically healthy ( whatever that means ).
    And more generally meditation challenges our sense of self and how we see things....
  • Porpoise said:

"I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I suspect that doing a lot of meditation on death and corpses ( whatever ) could adversely affect somebody who was psychologically healthy ( whatever that means ).
    And more generally meditation challenges our sense of self and how we see things.... "

You don't think that someone who would purposely (and extensively) "meditate" on death and corpses already has some sort of emotional or psychological 'issue'? I do.
    I mean, Why on earth would someone DO that; especially if it was producing a negative affect on their mindset and emotions? Obviously because there's something "off" there to begin with, I'd say.

Also, there is a distinct difference between emotional feelings and actual psychological problems.
    "Everyone" gets depressed now and then, even the most (mentally) healthy, happiest of people. But a temporary phase of situational depression is not the same as say Clinical Depression - which is a legitimate, chronic mental health issue.
    So I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree... it is as simple as that; meditation can not actually cause mental health issues where none already exist -- IMO.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Somebody asked me about this recently, and it isn't something I've come across - so I thought I'd ask you! Have you experienced or heard about any psychological problems arising from meditation practice?
    Yes. Meditation can cause dissociative episodes in some people. Emotional baggage can bubble up. If you're having adverse symptoms that you're concerned about, best to discontinue meditation for now.

• ThaoThao Veteran
    Yes, there have been problems. Here is a link: http://downthecrookedpath-meditation-gurus.blogspot.com/2011/05/meditation-related-psychosis-from.html

There are a few posts on there that speak about it.

You don't think that someone who would purposely (and extensively) "meditate" on death and corpses already has some sort of emotional or psychological 'issue'? I do.
    Obviously this kind of practice wouldn't be recommended for a beginner. But if people are out there doing their own thing without advice and supervision then they wouldn't necessarily understand this.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yes, there have been problems. Here is a link: http://downthecrookedpath-meditation-gurus.blogspot.com/2011/05/meditation-related-psychosis-from.html

There are a few posts on there that speak about it.

From the article: ABSTRACT:

" Problematic altered states of consciousness (ASC) and psychosis that occur in meditation were investigated using descriptive and phenomenological research methods. Theravada, Zen, and Tibetan Buddhist teachers and meditators were interviewed to determine possible causes and ways to handle such responses to various types and stages of meditation. Buddhist meditation practices and Buddhist and psychological literature on psychosis and ASC are reviewed.
    Results of the interviews suggest that people who have had prior psychosis can easily become psychotic during initial practice, but with guidance can benefit from meditation. People at a borderline level of personality organization are more likely to encounter difficulties in later stages of practice.
    They can benefit from initial practices that promote gaining an “observing ego” and healthy relationships and self-esteem. Suggestions for teachers regarding ways to help people at psychotic and borderline levels of personality functioning are presented. "

Also:

" A number of conclusions can be drawn about psychosis and ASC during meditation. Psychosis is rare but can easily occur in people who have had prior psychotic episodes. Their personality organization and tendency to biochemical imbalance hinders development of concentration and mindfulness skills and promotes the likelihood of psychosis. Initial practice has a derepressive effect, and such individuals lack the defensive structure or modulatory capacities to deal adaptively with the “primary process” material that emerges. They may also lack relational skills and trust, so may have difficulty utilizing teacher help.

Psychotic episodes can also occur in people who have a borderline level of personality organization. These people can advance in meditation skill, but as deeper levels of concentration are achieved, they may begin to have difficulties with ASC. Issues and deficits of wounded “self” and object- relationship structures can fuel their quest for enlightenment and make them overexert in their practice."

And:

" True meditation-related psychosis is extremely rare and may be found more in countries where people are steeped in Buddhism and ardent and advanced in practice. Tibetans offer the most explanation for this psychosis in their discussion of body energy arid channels and factors that foster imbalance or improper flow of energy.

Because overexertion in meditation is one of the major factors cited, one could hypothesize a link between psychosis and underlying narcissistic issues and vulnerabilities found at a borderline level of personality organization. In other words, narcissistic issues fuel the overexertion and borderline level organization hinder one’s ability to deal with the intense emotions activated at advanced levels of practice."

emphasis in above excerpts; mine.

This is repeated over and over again in the paper- The problem of psychosis and ASC is overwhelmingly an issue with people who already have (or have tendencies toward) psychosis and/ or borderline personality dysfunction.

Which brings up another question for me; Why would anyone want to meditate to the point of total immersion in the act of meditation in the first place?
    To attain the level of "Enlightened" right? To become (a) Buddha?
    This is only going to happen to the exclusion of everything else around them; exclusion of day to day life, earning a living, dealing with and relating to family, friends, neighbors and society at large. Someone who would actually strive for such a level of meditation and awareness, is -- in my opinion -- someone with an unhealthy attachment to the act of meditation and the GOAL of "enlightenment". The paradox problem.

But perhaps that's a discussion for another time and another thread....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I know that some types of psychological illnesses are recommended to be cautious with longer meditations. They can trigger a manic phase for those with bipolar disorders. Meditationdoes not cause this and I think the biggest concern would be for those who do not have a good understanding of their brain and how is reacts to different experiences.

I am trying my first extended meditation this weekend. I will be aware if I start to not be okay. I like this chance because it is close to home and I have a day to readjust if needed. However I think that with my history I am very aware of my mental states and as long as I steer clear of feeling awkward taking care of my stability it will be okay. Well I will tell you after Saturday.
    This interests me. I have schizoaffective and my energies get too high. I laugh and cry mixed together and have mood swings that disrupt me and hard to motivate.

I want to practice for the hope of being in better condition and maybe prepare for another lifetime when I have a stable mind/body.

With that in mind does anyone know some guidelines to gentle meditate?

Someone who would actually strive for such a level of meditation and awareness, is -- in my opinion -- someone with an unhealthy attachment to the act of meditation and the GOAL of "enlightenment".
    That sounds like a description of a committed Buddhist.

;)

With that in mind does anyone know some guidelines to gentle meditate?
    Maybe simple breathing meditation?
  • Someone who would actually strive for such a level of meditation and awareness, is -- in my opinion -- someone with an unhealthy attachment to the act of meditation and the GOAL of "enlightenment".
    That sounds like a description of a committed Buddhist.

;)
    Exactly -- The Paradox Problem. :) Aka; Catch-22.
    I've tallked to a lot of Buddhists about meditation over the years and I can't remember anyone who was doing too much - the problem is usually not enough. ;)