Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is an 'average day' for a Buddhist Monk?

edited July 2012 in Diet & Habits
What do Monks do, what do they eat, what can't they do, what are their rules etc. ?

I'm not planning on being one or anything, Just very curious :)

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    hi!

Where do you live? If you can visit a monastery, it would answer much more questions than we could answer here. But it must be said that in each monastery the monks have slightly different schedules, habits and rules. Also it is a bit of an idividualistic thing that differs per monk. They are just like people ;)

Some are more into meditation, others more study. Some more geared towards solitary practice, others practice a lot being in a community. Some follow a strict set of rules, others not so much. Some eat vegan only, others eat about everything. Most are celibate, but I've heard that a few monks in Japan can even have a wife..

So as you've noticed, there is quite a variety there. But in the end all are searching to find peace of mind and all the things I mentioned above are just tools to do this. And we as lay practitioners have our own tools and environment to try and do the same. It's harder, but not impossible for us.

Kindness!
    Sabre