Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nature of Nirvana

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Jeffrey, I'd say the argument is easy enough! Well, mine is. :D Buddha-Nature is a "nature", not a thing, and so self as we know it doesn't apply. It's a verb, a process. There's nothing there to grasp. Nirvana is just like that, nothing to grasp. To assume it's a self is actually to turn the mind away from seeing the not-self of all experiential phenomena (conditioned existence), which is what we must see to realize emptiness and experience Nirvana. Someone who is looking for some "thing" called Nirvana and not paying attention to the selfless nature of all phenomena is truly looking for something which doesn't exist; that's not the way to enlightenment. Stream-entry is where the obstruction of self-view falls away, but the more we're clinging to self-view the more difficult it will be.

The direct route is just the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path, without clinging to conceptions that lend themselves to views of self or eternalism. Admitting that the aggregates are not-self but then turning Nirvana into a self is unhelpful in removing this clinging from the mind. It just displaces the view of self rather than eradicating that view.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    The very function of emptiness is buddha nature.
    Or the very suchness of the dependently arisen phenomena.

This too cannot be established as self, me, mine, or I. It cannot be established at all.
    It is beyond all designation of existence, non-existence, both, or neither.

Atman is an incorrect view. Establishing any sort of source or self is an incorrect view.

Why? Because it is all ungraspable, unfindable, unestablished.

Atman is usually posited as a one mind or consciousness behind or beyond the five skandhas.

The Atman is unestablished. Thus how can it be self or source?

Maybe I am profoundly misinterpreting what you're getting at. Please clarify.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    And also I am coming from the background of Dzogchen.

Where we do posit Rigpa or the natural state. But such natural state isn't established either. It too is empty of inherent existence.

But if you're using self as a conventional label that refers to no "thing" other than its own assertion of a "thing" apart from the skandhas then thats fine.

But to assert buddha nature as Atman is incorrect. And most of Buddhism fails on that accord. Buddha nature is the dynamic interdependent reality. It is emptiness in function.
  • Cloud: when one looks at a clay cup there is actually no cup there. The cup is only a configuration of clay; nothing apart from it. Looking at this temporal world, we really believe it is real. But it is only a configuration of the One Mind or tathatâ. Fundamentally, phenomena don't exist—they're illusions. Also, what is anâtman/anattâ is an illusion. To realize true nirvana is to see that all things are unborn.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yes, to see all things are empty, which means that there are no truly separate things or beings (they are appearances; and I'd say it's delusion that exists rather than illusion... there still is something there, suchness). The realization of emptiness is the realization of Nirvana. That wasn't anything that I was arguing against... that's been my point at each turn.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    its better to say its "like" an illusion.

rather to say its straight up an illusion.

trust me there is a difference hahahhaa.
  • taiyaki: Using the analogy of a mirror, we can see a reflection in the mirror very clearly, yet we know that the reflection has no inherent existence. Even though the reflection appears, it is really empty. Only the bright luminous nature of the mirror is real. As for this world, all that we see is an illusion. Until we realize the fundamental nature, which is free from illusions, we remain in samsara, chasing illusions.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    That's a fine analogy.

As long as one doesn't make the mirror apart from the appearances then that is non dual presence/awareness.

It reminds me a talk I recently heard.

Usually consciousness is a consciousness of "something".

But in this sense its better to say it is just consciousness. or rather consciousness that establishes nothing.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The essence of the matter is that we don't realize Nirvana by seeing Nirvana, as if it were something to see. Rather it is in fully penetrating the emptiness of conditioned phenomena (and so the origin and cessation of suffering) that the mind turns away from conditioned phenomena. The resultant non-identification with the "conditioned" is what we call the "unconditioned", or Nirvana, and signifies the end of craving and suffering. It doesn't happen all at once because it's a process of deepening insight and detachment.

We complicate things, looking for something special instead of looking to see how things really are and transcending our attachments. It's unfortunate that we're still in the grip of self-view as worldlings, and this can distort the true teachings in so many ways and leave us fighting against ourselves. We'll see things in a way that caters to the false self, to the craving for continued existence, and obstructs our own progress on the path.

A real enlightened teacher can be the best thing to help us overcome these obstructions, one that we'd trust to tell us when we're off-track and to guide us back to the path. Teachers tell us to meditate to see things as they are: impermanent, not-self, unsatisfactory. They don't tell us to look for Nirvana, because they know Nirvana is the result of fully penetrating the characteristics of our worldly existence. It's not complicated, we just don't want to look at (or deal with) "this"... we think we can skip to enlightenment. We so crazy. :D
  • zenffzenff Veteran

We complicate things, looking for something special instead of looking to see how things really are and transcending our attachments.
    I think that's well put.

:thumbsup:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    The metaphor of the candle flame blowing out makes it sound like Pari-nibbana is extinction, annihilation?
    It's not, because there is nothing to annihilate. There is only no-self. That's why this is called cessation and not annihilation or extinction.
    I can't see the distinction between cessation and extinction.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @porpoise, Cessation, extinction, elimination, eradication, "getting the hell rid of", it's all really the same thing... but it's all related to suffering, not to a self (unless it's the "false self" that one is talking about, which is merely delusion). Cessation is the term mostly used because Buddhism is about "suffering and the cessation of suffering". That keeps us from getting the wrong idea in our head that it's nihilism/annihilation, which terms generally refer to a self.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The metaphor of the candle flame blowing out makes it sound like Pari-nibbana is extinction, annihilation?
    It's not, because there is nothing to annihilate. There is only no-self. That's why this is called cessation and not annihilation or extinction.
    I can't see the distinction between cessation and extinction.
    A magician puts a dove in a hat. He does a few funny movements and the dove is gone. He 'annihilated' the dove.

Now, imagine a water tap, there is a stream of water coming out of it. I close the tap. Did I annihilate anything similar to what the magician did?

I didn't, because nothing just disappeared. I only stopped a process of water flowing. This is cessation. This is so because a stream is not a solid thing. It's a process, a changing phenomena.

Nibbana similarly is not annihilation because there is no self. There is nothing that is a self, only in our mind there is something we call a self. Now, the mind is the real magician because it can make you see things that aren't here. If we look deeper, we see that just like the stream is not really a solid thing, we are not really a we.

Metta!
    Saber
    @porpoise, Cessation, extinction, elimination, eradication, "getting the hell rid of"... but it's all related to suffering, not to a self (unless it's the "false self" that one is talking about, which is merely delusion).
    So are you saying there is a ( true ) self which survives ( continues )?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @porpoise, No, that'd be eternalism. The Buddha taught that all phenomena without exception are not-self (empty of self), and so eternalism and nihilism are both wrong views.
    @porpoise, No, that'd be eternalism. The Buddha taught that all phenomena without exception are not-self (empty of self), and so eternalism and nihilism are both wrong views.
    OK, but this suggests there must be some kind of continuity - but continuity of what?
    Now, imagine a water tap, there is a stream of water coming out of it. I close the tap. Did I annihilate anything similar to what the magician did?
    I didn't, because nothing just disappeared. I only stopped a process of water flowing. This is cessation.
    OK, cessation of a process. All processes or just some processes?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    OK, but this suggests there must be some kind of continuity - but continuity of what?
    What continues if you watch TV? Nothing solid really. It's a program that continues, but there is no 'entity' or anything like that continuing. I think you can agree on that.

Now you don't feel like watching anymore, so you switch off the TV. Is the program now annihilated?.. It's a strange thing to say, isn't it? But this is just as strange as saying nibbana is annihilation. You can't annihilate anything by turning off a TV.

Now this confusion is easy to make and hard to see through. People with similar wrong ideas were already there at the time of the Buddha. But those who say that nibbana is annihilation or extinction make the same mistake as was made in that time.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I didn't, because nothing just disappeared. I only stopped a process of water flowing. This is cessation.
    Of course not all processes. After the Buddha died, the world was still going. And the universe will probably go on for a long time..
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @porpoise, The continuity is of Suffering (Dukkha) being reborn due to Craving (Tanha). Through our practice (Noble Eightfold Path) we eliminate craving so that this cycle of rebirths (Samsara) ends. This cessation (Nirodha) of craving/suffering is called "Nirvana", liberation, awakening or enlightenment.

The Four Noble Truths in a nutshell, of sorts. :D When in doubt always go back to the these. They're the essential teachings and purpose of Buddhism.

The effect is that rather than suffering continuing... there's a space of peace that opens up in its place. This helps everyone, regardless of whether we're practicing for ourselves or others. In the end there's no separation whatsoever between self and other, so our distinctions about the Buddhist "vehicles" are not so important as we might think!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Of course not all processes. After the Buddha died, the world was still going. And the universe will probably go on for a long time..
    But if you mean the internal process of rebirth, than that's mainly the new arising of consciousness, driven by will. But that's a dangerous term, because people assume a consciousness, as in a soul or entity in whatever form. But consciousness is not a constant thing. It is impermanent, it arises and passes, it's empty of a self. Also, consciousness of body (or eye,ear,nose,tongue) is something different than consciousness of mind.

These are the tough teachings, here above. But the Buddha was not afraid to pass them on, so I'm not afraid to share them too.

Metta to ya!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Sabre, I don't think internal rebirth is really about consciousness. A Buddha is still conscious so long as there are the aggregates. It's consciousness without feature (not identified with the aggregates or with itself), but still consciousness. And it doesn't depend on will so much as its dependent conditions (mind and body, sense organs) that are still in effect... it's like hearing, something that just happens. Internal rebirth or lack thereof would be more about non-craving (and non-suffering), I think. That's not to say that consciousness is constant at all, but neither is hearing or thinking.

The issue of consciousness would be more having to do with the causal link between lives because consciousness is a defining characteristic of "life", and so its re-arising would be an indication of that causal link.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Sorry, with internal process I meant the process of one mind being reborn after death. I said that to clarify it is not of someone elses or of the world. So in that way only one process ceases and not all.

To clarify:
    I was talking about when a Buddha (or enlightened in general) dies, the will to be reborn is not there. For others, there is will to create further consciousness.

But when enlightened ones are still alive, of course there is still consciousness, but that's the remainders. So I think we agree as far as I understand.

But one thing, "Consciousness without feature" is a Brahman thing messed up in the suttas, I think. Consciousness always has a feature. But that's another matter. If you wish to discuss it further, feel free to, but I guess that was not your main point so I will not go into it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I think we agree. :D

As for the consciousness without feature, I think that's used in Buddhism too, and is meaning non-discriminative awareness (that's not identified with or attached to the aggregates, is not creating a "self" and "other" duality etc.). I could be wrong!
  • Cloud: The consciousness of puthujjanas is coordinate with and transfixed on the five aggregates. Such a consciousness knows nothing else and continues to feed the system which causes it to undergo samsara. Not so with holy persons like Vakkali whose unestablished (appatitthita) consciousness Mara the Evil One could not find.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, Yeah, and?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I think we agree. :D

As for the consciousness without feature, I think that's used in Buddhism too, and is meaning non-discriminative awareness (that's not identified with or attached to the aggregates, is not creating a "self" and "other" duality etc.). I could be wrong!
    It is used, but often by those defending nibbana = consciousness, because it also says it is 'endless, all around'. They say it is some consciousness outside of the aggregates. Something that doesn't fit with the general idea of the suttas at all. But apart from that, it appears just two times in the suttas, in an argument of Buddhism vs Brahmanism. And one of those times, in most versions of the canon it is ascribed to Brahman philosophy, not to the Buddha. It is just a small step to ascribe the other occurence to Brahmanism as well, where such a quote is more likely to be found.

After all, the suttas contain errors, so we have to be careful not to take one line and take it totally out of context. Especially not when it is such a vague and debatable description as "consciousness without feature".

Also, there is the very apparent contradiction in this verse:

Consciousness without feature,
    without end,
    luminous all around:
    Here water, earth, fire, & wind
    have no footing.
    Here long & short
    coarse & fine
    fair & foul
    name & form
    are all brought to an end.
    With the cessation of consciousness
    each is here brought to an end.'"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.11.0.than.html
    Doesn't make sense.. unless of course, when you ascribe the last line to the Buddha and the rest to the Brahma as I suggested.

This is my opnion. I think it makes sense, but I'm not a pali scholar. For a more detailed analysis, would you be interested:
    http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/vinnaṇa-is-not-nibbana-really-it-just-isn’t/
    http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/nibbana-is-still-not-vinnaṇa/

Metta!

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Sabre, Good stuff. Think I'll retire ever using that phrase again then. :)

(BTW that first "without end" may not mean end in regards to continued existence, but more like "without limit".)
  • Cloud: Why don't you read Pande's book, Studies in the Origins of Buddhism? He covers viññana pretty well with lots of Pali references. You will learn about viññana as transmigrant and two aspects of viññana as transcendental and as empirical.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Anyone can misread or misinterpret Buddhism. I don't care for it, personally.
    So no thanks, I'll stick to what the Buddha actually taught. :D
  • What some regard as the highest view others consider to be worthless. They all claim to be experts: Which of them indeed is right? — Sutta-Nipata
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Its all views.

Do what works in your own life and practice. Nothing else matters.

Either you suffer or you don't. End of story folks.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    read 'mulapariyaya sutta' in majjima nikaya

it is profound teaching but given all answers to the above questions

in short, if there is no greed, no hate, no delusion in the mind that is Nirvana

well, one needs to know Exactly what is greed, what is hate, what is delusion and what is mind

Know does not mean that one has read about those things, one has heard about those things, one think one knows about those things

one has to have a concentrated mind and use one's faculties (sadda, viriya, sati, samadhi, panna) and one's six sense bases to nvestigate what one hear, read about those things (dhamma)

what follows is for beginners, not for expert practisionrs

to get a concentrated mind we have to do Concentration meditation (samatha bavana) and
    to investigate to Know we have to do Insight meditation (vipassana bavana)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    read 'mulapariyaya sutta' in majjima nikaya

it is profound teaching but given all answers to the above questions

in short, if there is no greed, no hate, no delusion in the mind that is Nirvana

well, one needs to know Exactly what is greed, what is hate, what is delusion and what is mind

Know does not mean that one has read about those things, one has heard about those things, one think one knows about those things

one has to have a concentrated mind and use one's faculties (sadda, viriya, sati, samadhi, panna) and one's six sense bases to nvestigate what one hear, read about those things (dhamma)

what follows is for beginners, not for expert practisionrs

to get a concentrated mind we have to do Concentration meditation (samatha bavana) and
    to investigate to Know we have to do Insight meditation (vipassana bavana)
    The shentong teaching of Tibetan Buddism adds that there are positive qualities of the Buddha Nature such as love, endless qualities, that manifest to others. This is the vajrayana or third turning. The second turning is realization of non-self. The reason for this addition is not to say the second turning is unsufficient. It is adding that if the positive qualities do not appear then the realization of non-self was not actually thorough and grasping to phenomena is still not here.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

The shentong teaching of Tibetan Buddism adds that there are positive qualities of the Buddha Nature such as love, endless qualities, that manifest to others. This is the vajrayana or third turning. The second turning is realization of non-self. The reason for this addition is not to say the second turning is unsufficient. It is adding that if the positive qualities do not appear then the realization of non-self was not actually thorough and grasping to phenomena is still not here.
    Love for others (metta) and Compassion (karuna) are by-products of realization of non-self

for ex: seeing a person have no shelter in cold winter would make you think that how nice if he would have a blanket (metta)

you give a blanket to him to cover him up ( karuna)

you see that he coverd him up and stay warm (you have joy that he also stays as warm as you (mudita - joy)

still i can not give a good example for upekka

• driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited July 2012
    If he gets mad and says something mean to you for giving him a blanket, instead of reacting with anger for his harsh words, you still have the same compasstion because you feel that maybe he is suffering from mental disorder or had been through some type of mental trauma then that would be upekkha (equanimity).
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    If he gets mad and says something mean to you for giving him a blanket, instead of reacting with anger for his harsh words, you still have the same compasstion because you feel that maybe he is suffering from mental disorder or had been through some type of mental trauma then that would be upekkha (equanimity).
    thank you

if you are mindful and stay with your gained knowledge of non self (sati sampajanna) you see that you yourself is a perception, and the person outside also a perception

so you help with compassion, but you maintain equianimity in your mind regardless the other person accept or reject your help

thank you again driedleaf

• The Nature of Nirvana.

I think the word I would use is freedom.

When the fabrication of the self "me" is seen as nothing more than the mind object it is, in each of it's manifestations. Then grasping and aversion no longer have any purpose and are abandoned. End of suffering.
    Whatever arises is meet with acceptance. Whatever ceases is meet with detachment. There is nothing to chase or to run from because everything is simply the way it is. Exactly the way it is.
    When the illusion of separation (a separate "me") is removed, compassion and wisdom are what remains.
    Compassion for everyone and everything, as they, like my true self, are all just a part of the whole. Interdependently originated. Impermanent. Empty.
    Wisdom and awareness to see this in everything in each present moment. Peace of mind, joy, blissfulness result.

As I have not yet realized this total freedom, Nirvana, and continue to stand in my own way part of the time, more practice is called for.

Best Wishes

Either you suffer or you don't.
    :thumbup:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yes, to see all things are empty, which means that there are no truly separate things or beings (they are appearances; and I'd say it's delusion that exists rather than illusion... there still is something there, suchness). The realization of emptiness is the realization of Nirvana. That wasn't anything that I was arguing against... that's been my point at each turn.
    The realization of emptiness would also be the realization of form... Form is precisely emptiness and emptiness is precisely form. I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of Atman but if there is no thing to identify as being form, there is no thing to identify as being empty. Nothingness is a meaningless quality because qualities identify and there is no such thing as "nothing"... If anything can be found that is permanent, what would that mean if it was a process of causation rather than something which takes up space?

A verb that can not be seperated from any noun but too elusive to take on a noun?

I believe the delusion can go both ways... Believing in a seperate self and its polar extreme as well... That of believing there is no thing to seperate.

It's in the middle in my honest opinion.

• Instead of looking at creation, one should quite the mind and realize the Creator.
  • Upekka:
    Love for others (metta) and Compassion (karuna) are by-products of realization of non-self
    The anattâ (lit. not-the-self) has nothing to do with love or compassion. Anattâ refers to the five khandhas, all of which belong to Mara the Evil One.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ourself, I'm not sure that I get what you mean. Emptiness is form and form is emptiness, yes. That doesn't mean nothingness, but rather no-thing-ness. There are transient, not-self/interdependent conditioned phenomena, which can't really be said to stand alone as things or beings (nouns) except in a conventional sense. In the broader underlying sense there is no separation and no inherent nature other than Buddha-nature.

There are just the "appearances" (conventional realities) of things, which in our delusion we take to be something other than they are. If we fully penetrated the nature of conditioned phenomena we'd let go of our clinging/grasping, seeing nothing but suffering in that activity.
    I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of Atman but if there is no thing to identify as being form, there is no thing to identify as being empty.
    That's what "form is emptiness" and "emptiness is form" means... you're not to look for some thing to apply emptiness to, but to understand that emptiness is describing what form really is... not-self, transient. Emptiness applies to everything in your experience without exception. Perhaps the idea of "emptiness" is too much a draw on the imagination; just throw it out and look to everything you experience to see that it's all fleeting and selfless.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Nothing to grasp. Not even truth.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Cloud;

Maybe I should come at this from a different approach... If all is not-self how could we possibly have a true nature at all?

I agree that all things and beings are empty of a seperate and/or permanent self but the process of dependant origination or causation is something that has always been or else at one point there would have been no potential for anything. It is always in a state of change but it is nonetheless.

So if there is no true seperation, we must be a part of said process. No true birth and no true death.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ourself, That's true. We don't "have" anything; Buddha-Nature is the nature of Emptiness/Form, the reason conditioned phenomena are transient, not-self and unsatisfactory. There is no true birth or death because conditioned phenomena are empty of any self that is born or destroyed. The process of causality, of change, is the only thing that stays the same. That's true nature. If we truly understand that, we won't be clinging to conditioned phenomena because there's nothing that can be grasped.

There's only this "suchness" or "thusness" that is constantly transforming, like a fog that gives way as you move through it. Attaching to it, thinking it's you or yours, is suffering. Buddha-Nature really is Causality itself, the nature of change, but some people react poorly to that because they're grasping for something else. When we continue grasping this results in rebirth of suffering (which is itself descriptive of a process, not a thing).

Reality isn't anything so difficult as we imagine, it's expressing itself all the time... we just aren't satisfied with what's right in front of us. We complicate it. :D Trust us delusional worldlings to turn away from what's self-evident and look for something else! We have to accept the empty nature of reality (the key is Impermanence or Change) and then fully penetrate it through meditation. That's all we need to do to be liberated from our delusions.
  • Cloud: Emptiness in Buddhism usually signifies the truth of the non-substantiality of phenomena. Emptiness, in other words, is only the negation of what is conditioned—it does not shine a light on what is perfectly unconditioned (e.g., Buddha-nature, Tathatagarbha). It is somewhat like saying 'snowflake-ness' (an attribute of water) is fundamentally empty—a fiction. It really doesn't exist. Only water is real—all else are water-formations (samskâra). Thus, we can say that Buddha-nature, like unformed (asamskâra) water, is truly non-empty.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Emptiness is not a negation of the conditioned, it is a negation of permanence/self. Buddha-Nature is only not-empty because it isn't "form" in the first place, it isn't conditioned phenomena. That doesn't mean it's a self or a thing; it is "nature", a verb, a process, not to be confused with something else.

As long as you think Buddha-Nature or Nirvana is something real you can grasp, or as you put it "a permanent state of experienced bliss", this is really no different from the Hindu belief in becoming one with Brahman. It's not what the Buddha taught, and holding to that view does not lead to liberation. It's still self-view, clinging or grasping to the idea of a self (whether or not you consider it part of the aggregates), and eternalism.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The term Buddha-nature is confusing because it has a different meaning for about each person. For me it simply refers to the possibility of enlightenment we all have. But since I see the pali canon as the most accurate remainder of the teachings of the Buddha, and the term is not in there, I tend not to use it.

That doesn't mean that the term can't have any value at all as a teaching tool. But we should state very clearly what we think it is or else it gets very easy to misunderstand. Also, more generally, using vague terms and talking in 'riddles', to me is an indicator of not really understanding what one is talking about. If one did know what was the truth, they would say it clearly and to the point, as I think the Buddha did.

Metta to ya!
    Sabre
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    That's one way to use the term (you're right it can be used in different contexts!). If we understand Buddha-Nature as being the nature of Form/Emptiness, the very reason why form is transient and not-self, it all becomes clear. Buddha-Nature becomes the underlying causality itself, the workings of which can either keep us bound in suffering or set us free. When we see it all clearly, that's the cause for liberation (cessation of craving and suffering). Karma and the Noble Eightfold Path only really make sense in light of this causality, and there'd be no liberation otherwise.

We're not satisfied with the Four Noble Truths, and so not satisfied with the Buddha. We'll look to others who explain it differently, who make it out to be something more like an eternal heaven we're aiming toward, and forget the Buddha's real message. That's really what most people want... and so we don't understand, or purposely misunderstand, what the Buddha taught. We all want peace, to be happy, but we'll turn away from peace out of ignorance. That's profoundly sad, isn't it?

It's all impermanent, all uncertain, all "not sure" as Ajahn Chah would say. The true teachers are going to point us in this direction, toward seeing the insubstantial nature of conditioned phenomena, until we ourselves awaken to the truth and let go. After that we know what we have to do, there's no question about what the teachings mean or how to unbind fully.
This discussion has been closed.