Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nature of Nirvana

Comments

• Cloud: All conditioned things are empty of substance like a mirage. But this is not the very highest teaching or truth. If it were, when we look at conditioned things we would automatically become Buddhas! Obviously, this is not the case. Unawakened people still have to realize the awakened state (buddhata) which is eternal, bliss, self, and the pure.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, You think that we understand conditioned phenomena just by looking at them! We have to struggle to even understand not-self. It's in directly seeing these truths at the deepest level in meditation that we come to know them, not through our thinking or conceptualizing or "worldly" looking. It's exactly that we don't see the truth of conditioned phenomena, that it's our delusion that "sees" the world, that we're not awakened. How long we remain worldlings is really dependent upon how stubborn we are, how far we'll go to not actually look for ourselves.

In the past people were much more focused on seeing reality, so much so that they might awaken from the Buddha holding a lotus flower aloft, recognizing an expression of the Dharma right then and there. How could that be, if Nirvana was something "else" (other than realizing emptiness)? We're much more deluded and are looking for something else, even burying ourselves in scriptures and thinking we know. Mindfulness can lead to awakening for just this reason, but it has to be cultivated. It's more than just our normal seeing of things.

It's a mistake to think we know emptiness when we don't. What we know is a concept, an idea, and it may make sense... but truly knowing emptiness is cause for unbinding. Believing that we "know" emptiness, we'll discount it and start looking for Nirvana. That's a double-delusion. We've skipped the crucial step that actually leads to Nirvana, and so are groping in the dark for something that isn't there.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Are these the personal experience that the writers are speaking of?
    I ask this because I read these 103 dissertations on the nature of Nirvana and I am not really sure who is helped by them?
    Is something of this supposed to apply to ones life or is this an exercise in mental refinement that does not even apply to meditative understanding?
    I understand that selfless acts and sutra study can be complete practises onto themselves so is this just an example of the path of sutra study?
  • Cloud: Phenomena (samskara) are empty insofar as they lack reality (sabhâva/svabhâva). But deeply understanding that everything (sarvadharma) is unreal doesn't make one a Buddha. One has not yet realized Buddha-nature which is truly real and not empty.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, A real enlightened teacher would disagree with you, that much I can guarantee. Firstly phenomena are not unreal; they are merely not-self and not-permanent. Secondly Buddha-Nature has no substance. It's not a thing. "Understanding" doesn't make one a Buddha, "seeing directly" and the resultant unbinding of the mind from conditioned phenomena (the cessation of craving and suffering) is what makes one a Buddha.

The realization of emptiness happens when the conditions are right, and this is awakening. It could be hearing the sound of a bird that does it (for a mindful practitioner, or even a non-Buddhist). It's ridiculous, laughable in fact, to say that you realize Nirvana by seeing Nirvana. :D I don't know who came up with that pearl of delusion, but it wasn't the Buddha.

The realization of emptiness, the actual realization of emptiness (not a conceptual understanding or view), results in the realization of Nirvana, or Buddha-Nature, which is non-attachment to and non-identification with conditioned phenomena (because Buddha-Nature is already that which is not conditioned phenomena).
  • How: It is pretty difficult to escape one's own personal experiences which potentially can run from bodhi to delusion.
  • Cloud: I hope I don't shock you by saying I disagree with about everything you've said. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, It doesn't shock me in the least that you disagree. Why would you disagree with a view that grants you eternal experiential bliss? People don't disagree with religions they believe in for just this reason. However it's not the Buddha's teaching. It's an interpretation that conflicts with what the Buddha taught, and I don't think it's helpful in realizing Nirvana. It seems more a potential roadblock, not only for yourself but anyone else who clings to those beliefs about self/Nirvana.

If you don't know where to look, what to look for, you're screwed basically. Thinking there's this thing called "Nirvana" that you're going to see in meditation is pure delusion. It'd be a sad bunch of "puthujjanas" as you call them sitting around meditating in frustration, if this were something actually taught. The only hope for them would be that their meditation practice would follow the arising and passing of all phenomena, rather than being focused on seeing this "Nirvana". This would eventually lead the mind to directly realizing emptiness, and releasing from conditioned phenomena. That is Nirvana.

A great deal of the problem may be that descriptions of Nirvana have been about Nirvana as experienced in life, before the dissolution of the aggregates. This can lead to a host of misunderstandings. We can lose sight of what Nirvana actually is, which is the cessation of craving and thus of suffering. The experience of Nirvana is this non-craving mind, no longer identifying with the five aggregates (conditioned phenomena). Unbound consciousness. This is very foreign to us and is difficult to put into words that'd make sense, like trying to describe the taste of an orange to someone who hasn't eaten one.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @ourself, That's true. We don't "have" anything; Buddha-Nature is the nature of Emptiness/Form, the reason conditioned phenomena are transient, not-self and unsatisfactory. There is no true birth or death because conditioned phenomena are empty of any self that is born or destroyed. The process of causality, of change, is the only thing that stays the same. That's true nature. If we truly understand that, we won't be clinging to conditioned phenomena because there's nothing that can be grasped.
    I don't mean to say that we "have" buddha nature so much as that we "are" buddha nature. I don't feel like I'm clinging with this view because I know it cannot be clung to. It is true that the only thing that remains the same is that everything changes but I fail to see why that makes it unsatisfactory.
    There's only this "suchness" or "thusness" that is constantly transforming, like a fog that gives way as you move through it. Attaching to it, thinking it's you or yours, is suffering. Buddha-Nature really is Causality itself, the nature of change, but some people react poorly to that because they're grasping for something else. When we continue grasping this results in rebirth of suffering (which is itself descriptive of a process, not a thing).
    I don't see it as me or mine... I see it as us. There comes a time when we can be satisfied with things as they truely are. Fleeting... Impermanent and empty (which really means full of potential). When we hit this stage lessons on the suffering caused by wanting something to last don't seem condusive to growth. There is nothing we can do about it, lol... It is ok that things change and do not last... That's the way. That is acceptance.

Because things do not last and are in a constant state of change, we can appreciate them even more. At the same time, they have always been in one form or another and cannot be possessed by us anymore than we can be possessed by them. There is no birth and no death because we have always been here in one form or another.

A process is little different than a thing in that it takes energy to function.
    Reality isn't anything so difficult as we imagine, it's expressing itself all the time... we just aren't satisfied with what's right in front of us. We complicate it. :D Trust us delusional worldlings to turn away from what's self-evident and look for something else!
    But who is imagining that reality is difficult? Who isn't satisfied? If I ever stop learning or lose the state of wonder then perhaps I will feel unsatisfied.
    We have to accept the empty nature of reality (the key is Impermanence or Change) and then fully penetrate it through meditation. That's all we need to do to be liberated from our delusions.
    Unless liberation is also a delusion. When we see things as they truely are but still live on to enjoy them and hope to help others do the same, what is there to be liberated from?

Sometimes I think suffering is over rated.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ourself, You could say that we "are" Buddha-Nature, but that'd be half the picture. We also "are" conditioned phenomena. And yet there's nothing stable in any of that... there's no "self" to really call "this" or "that" (Buddha-Nature having no substance is also ungraspable, it's the nature of change). Grasping to what's in truth ungraspable causes suffering, and this grasping is what we call "craving" (the cause of suffering in the Four Noble Truths).

The "who" is always the false self created by the mind. It's really nothing other than deluded mind. Deluded mind, thinking there is a self, craves for continued existence yada yada yada. ;)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I ask this because I read these 103 dissertations on the nature of Nirvana and I am not really sure who is helped by them?
    Is something of this supposed to apply to ones life or is this an exercise in mental refinement that does not even apply to meditative understanding?
    I understand that selfless acts and sutra study can be complete practises onto themselves so is this just an example of the path of sutra study?
    How: It is pretty difficult to escape one's own personal experiences which potentially can run from bodhi to delusion.
    Many of the Buddha's teachings (like nirvana) can be spoken of as a recitation of a teaching heard or read, it's conceptualization/intellectualization or it's realization/digestion/embodiment.
    I was just asking which level of understanding of nirvana, some eloquent authors believed they were operating on. This was not to denegrate anyone but to help answer my other 3 questions.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Cloud;

I can indeed find stable-ness in the fact that all is unstable. It is not that there is no true self but that there is no true self that is seperate. Because there is no self aside from the other, there is no other aside from the self.

I'm sorry but I fail to see the craving here. It is just good old fashioned logic...

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't upset me but I go with what works.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Uhh what do you mean you see no craving? :D Craving is what the worldly mind does. Craving for continued existence, for annihilation, to be associated with what is pleasurable, to not be associated with what is unpleasurable... pretty much everything we do is an act of craving mind. This craving is born out of ignorance for how reality actually is. The enlightened mind has severed craving.

And I agree the only thing that stays the same is change. However "change" can't really constitute a self, because it's more a force or process... it's not itself a substance. All of the substance, the "conditioned phenomena", is also selfless because nothing stays the same.

These are the two sides of the coin. Substance (emptiness/form) and Nature (change). One has no meaning or function without the other.

I'm not sure what "self" you think there is?
    edited July 2012
    Uhh what do you mean you see no craving? :D Craving is what the worldly mind does. Craving for continued existence, for annihilation, to be associated with what is pleasurable, to not be associated with what is unpleasurable... pretty much everything we do is an act of craving mind.
    Just exactly what I said. Because something makes sense doesn't mean there is a need for it to make sense over something else. It is what it is.
    And I agree the only thing that stays the same is change. However "change" can't really constitute a self, because it's more a force or process... it's not itself describing substance, but is descriptive of its effect on substance. All of the substance, the "conditioned phenomena", is also selfless because nothing stays the same.
    You seem to be making it more complicated than it is. There is being. We inter-are. If there was no thing or process to identify the aspects to a whole then there would be no being. If being is an illusion it is a redundant one because here we are right now despite that there is no where or beings to be.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ourself, "Being" as a noun is the delusion, but as a verb is descriptive of emptiness (if impermanent and selfless). I'm actually not sure what our discussion is "about" at this point. :D The things you say are very enlightened IMHO, it may be an issue of semantics. I'm not trying to make things complicated, but people seem to get the complicated versions more readily than the simple ones (at least here).

"We" are just temporary combinations of inter-dependent "stuff", undergoing constant change (without unchanging "self"). Directly experiencing this flowing "emptiness" of reality, mind ceases its grasping/craving for stability. As you say everything has existed in one form or another, it's just "recycled" phenomena... there's no actual issue of things being created or destroyed (birth and death). Is that more simple?

Suffering is really seeking stability in an unstable reality. It's only through the full realization of uncertainty, impermanence, that the mind can let go.
    @Cloud;

Well, my state of wonder often leads to bouts of curiosity which in turn lead me to want to dig deeper. That in itself is an act of craving but what can I do? Afterall, is that not partially why Buddha sat under the tree?

I ask these questions of you and challenge what you say because I find you knowledgable. Sometimes I ask questions and challenge for the opposite reasons so I should let you know it isn't because you don't have a decent understanding but because you do.

I wonder if that makes sense.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ourself, Not all craving is bad in worldly terms... it's just that craving is the cause of suffering (as made clear by the Second Noble Truth). The correct Buddhist practice is based on "the craving to end craving" (which ceases all suffering).

Obviously the Buddha realizing we had problems, and having the craving to find answers, turned out to be a good thing. Generally though most everything we do is an act of craving, and the bad kind far outweighs the good kind. The craving to find answers might lead to a lot of frustration (for many it does) rather than discovering enlightenment, so it's a good thing we're provided with a Noble Eightfold Path by one who already has!

I'm glad you challenge me, especially if you're trying to learn from it. :D There's no "meeting" some people because their minds are set in stone.
    I'm not sure but I think we agree on the noun and verb thing. You see, I don't even really believe in nouns, lol. It is all a process and there is no being a part of the process without being the process in a constant state of change. It still sounds opposed to what you posted but as you said, it could be semantics.

I'm just trying to articulate here but when we give a label to a part of the process we sometimes mistake the act of being for something we can turn to later and identify as the same thing. But it won't be the same thing because it has already changed. To me, this means that everything is a verb and that nouns are useful but misleading.

I guess I should hit the hay before I go too far off topic but I find this interesting.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ourself, We actually do agree. You're not disagreeing with me on the noun/verb thing at all. :D This is a good way to see reality. It fosters, and itself signifies, a detachment that is hard to come by. Most people don't get beyond "nouns", though it's an important milestone in Buddhist practice to do so.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    What I'm about to type is not specifically about this thread, but about teachings in general, both on this forum and outside.

You are right in bringing this up. Buddhism isn't meant as an intellectual excersize or a battle of sutta comparisions. However, a lot of people will refer to the texts often enough to show what they are saying also has been taught by the Buddha. This can be to show they are right, to make a point or 'win' an argument, yes, so much is sometimes obvious. But to me it is mainly to give the one who reads another base to rely on, so they can also use that. Because why believe an anonymous poster on a board on what he says, hmm?

Also, the teachings of the Buddha are just the best. They are so immensely structured and deep, after years you still find new links and deeper levels. I don't think anyone who ever reaches whatever stage of enlightenment will say they can teach at a comparable level. Therefore, referring back to the suttas is also a good teaching and reminder in itself. In the end, everything is non-self, so we don't own any or our realizations or ideas anyway, they all come from the Buddha.

You can not really ever tell if somebody is speaking out of experience or if they are just going the intellectual way, especially when you don't see them in real life. But you can know who does not speaks in line with the Buddha-Dhamma, if what they say doesn't match the suttas. If you want to be able to do that, you have to be a bit knowledgeable in the text. Don't just rely on the quotes you're given, because one can take any pieces out of the immense suttas and change or structurize them in that way, to say whatever they feel like. So I think it's worth showing why certain things don't really fit in the suttas, like the "endless consciousness without feature".

For me personally another test to see if others know what they are talking about, is to see if they talk in riddles, as I said before. If somebody does this, they probably don't really know and are talking as if they are really wise, maybe even convincing themselves in the process. But this way of looking is personal for me, I have to stress that.

So far it was mainly speaking in general. Coming back to nirvana, I think it's not really about who realizes what, but mainly what is there to realize in the first place. Because if we don't have at least a first idea of nirvana, we can have a very distorted way of seeing the Buddhas messages. This is my main reason to participate in this thread, to give others an idea of my understanding of it and to show how I think it fits the texts.

And the mind is a magician, it makes nirvana out of things that aren't. It thinks it's enlightened when it isn't, it thinks it has knowledge that it really doesn't. So we have to be honest with ourselves. Where do we stand now? Do we really know what we are talking about? Did we fit the texts to our understanding or did we fit our understanding to the texts?

There are steps of realization that are not really understanding nirvana. Those are lower steps before that, like really realizing we don't own our body. Or realizing we don't own the will. It's easy to take these experiences as enlightenment even. Therefore always be cautious. A good teacher will tell you this and put your feet back on the ground.

Another test to know if we really have some experience is to see how the process went. Was it just an idea that popped up or a 'ah it must be like this'? If so, it wasn't significant. A real realization turns the world upside down for days. Why? Because realizing non-self means the end of the mind; it sort of kills itself by seeing it has no permanence anywhere. One can only imagine what this must be like, but surely it will not be a small thing.

And as the Buddha said it must be accompanied by extreme bliss:
    Better than sole sovereignty over the earth, better than going to heaven, better even than lordship over all the worlds is the supramundane Fruition of Stream Entrance.
    (Stream entrance includes understanding nirvana)

Long story, but I think it's quite important. And also explains why I think this thread can serve a purpose, not only to talk about nirvana, but perhaps also to put people back on the ground, just like a good teacher would.

Metta to ya!
    Sabre
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    The term Buddha-nature is confusing because it has a different meaning for about each person.
    :thumbup:
  • Porpoise: Buddha-nature is only confusing for many because they are unfamilar with its background. Buddha-nature is the central theme of the Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra (hereafter, MNS). Buddha-nature means the nature of Buddha, or the same, the character of Buddha. According to the MNS "by Buddha-nature, we mean the most perfect enlightenment." Buddha-nature, according to the MNS, is also equivalent with Tathagata, which is equivalent with distinctive characteristics which is equivalent with liberation which is equivalent with nirvana.
  • Cloud:
    It's not a thing. "Understanding" doesn't make one a Buddha, "seeing directly" and the resultant unbinding of the mind from conditioned phenomena (the cessation of craving and suffering) is what makes one a Buddha

When mind is completely unbound from conditionality what is this mind like? Is this liberated mind the mind of Buddha, Buddha also meaning Budda-nature?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    There is no Buddha nature. It cannot be found by definition. It can only be pointed to. Yet all else is falsehood.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    There is no Buddha nature. It cannot be found by definition. It can only be pointed to. Yet all else is falsehood.
    Not finding buddha nature is the highest peace.

Yet no denial is made. Because lucidity is apparent. Yet throught and throught totally ungraspable happening to no one, no place, and no time.
  • Jeffrey:
    The true Buddha-nature is beyond words, yet we use words to point to it like we use our finger to point to the moon. With the realization of Buddha-nature, which has innumerable buddhagunas (Buddha qualities), we see that all things do not really exist. All things are like Maya and a dream and the Gandharvas' city; they appear as a mirage, as a lunar reflection in water.

Clinging to and recognizing external forms, discrimination is set in motion. Body, property, and abode are appearances and their rise is due to habit-energy (vasana); thus appearances are born of irrationality (ayukta), their rise is due to discrimination. Rightly, the wise understand that all things have no reality, but according to the discriminations of the ignorant things appear to exist.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    it seems everything has been said about Nature of Nirvana and what has remained is to experience it individually

@songhill
    Upekka:
    Love for others (metta) and Compassion (karuna) are by-products of realization of non-self
    The anattâ (lit. not-the-self) has nothing to do with love or compassion.
    true
    what i say is love and compassion are by-products of anatta

what i meant was:
    if one experienced (knows) anatta one sees the difference between worldlyn beings (pruthajjana) and Noble Deciples (Arya puggala)

then one feels sorry for worldly beings (like seeing people in cold weather)
    then one wants to give them the Anatta Teaching of Buddha and try to explain the Teaching to others (like giving blankets to those people)

but at this point one must be careful not to talk about Teaching with everyone (read anumana sutta at majjima nikaya to see why this is so)

accept the Teaching or rejecting Teaching is with the people who has the chance to listen/read Teaching (from the Noble Deciple's side it is like one who offer the blanket doesn't worry what the other people do about the blanket)

true
    if one knows anatta and established what one knows ( Arahants-full Enligtened Ones) five skandhas do not belong to mara
    even one is continue living (nirvana)
    five skandhas does not belong to anyone once Arahnts passed away

the hiligted part is my inference

but if one knows anatta but not established fully (Noble Deciples but not Arahants) and when there is no mindfulness he is not beyon Mara's jurisdiction
    i have no doubt about the above italiced part

this is very profitable thread and special thanks go to Sabre and thanks for all participated and provide different point of views about Nature of nirvana

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    it is advisable to read and re-read sunakkatta suta in majjima nikaya :)
  • Upekka:
    then one feels sorry for worldly beings (like seeing people in cold weather)
    then one wants to give them the Anatta Teaching of Buddha and try to explain the Teaching to others (like giving blankets to those people)
    I can see where you are coming from with this. One needs to wean puthujjanas off their attachment to the psycho-physical body which they believe is real. So the Buddha declares the psycho-physical body (i.e., the five khandhas) to not be the self or anattâ (lit. not-the-self). He says of these aggregates: This is not mine, this am I not, this is not my self (attâ). So what is the Buddha's self which he says is not of the aggregates? It is not conventional like satto or no-self (natthatta). The mystery deeps. :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    The mystery deeps. :)

:) thanks

it is a sort of relief that one knows one has to dig down deep (na-kathakaraniyam -hope my pali is correct)

thanks songhill
    A magician puts a dove in a hat. He does a few funny movements and the dove is gone. He 'annihilated' the dove.

Now, imagine a water tap, there is a stream of water coming out of it. I close the tap. Did I annihilate anything similar to what the magician did?

I didn't, because nothing just disappeared. I only stopped a process of water flowing. This is cessation. This is so because a stream is not a solid thing. It's a process, a changing phenomena.

Nibbana similarly is not annihilation because there is no self. There is nothing that is a self, only in our mind there is something we call a self. Now, the mind is the real magician because it can make you see things that aren't here. If we look deeper, we see that just like the stream is not really a solid thing, we are not really a we.

Metta!
    Saber

• Mara:

By whom was this living being created?
    Where is the living being's maker?
    Where has the living being originated?
    Where does the living being
    cease?

Sister Vajira:

What? Do you assume a 'living being,' Mara?
    Do you take a position?
    This is purely a pile of fabrications.
    Here no living being
    can be pinned down.

Just as when, with an assemblage of parts,
    there's the word,
    chariot,
    even so when aggregates are present,
    there's the convention of
    living being.

For only stress is what comes to be;
    stress, what remains & falls away.
    Nothing but stress comes to be.
    Nothing ceases but stress.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.010.than.html
  • IMO if we view Nirvana (post-death) as being a state of experiential bliss, we're still stuck in self-view and eternalism. Experience (blissful or not) does not occur without consciousness, which is a conditioned phenomena that does not stand on its own (and is therefore not the unconditioned/Nirvana). Nirvana in life is one thing because the aggregates remain, but Pari-Nirvana is the final blowing-out of the candle flame. The candle flame is used as a metaphor because its lack does not constitute "something" but rather the cessation of suffering/rebirth. It is positive, but not double-positive... we still yearn for eternal blissful life, a heaven. This is still an act of the clinging mind that refuses to let go of life and consciousness.
    nirvana as the blowing out of a candle is in reference to the end of defilements/samsara.

Not life itself as the Buddha stated.It is wrong view to think life ceases for their is always the continuation of an existing being.

I like the Nirvana sutras explanation of nirvana better what happens when wood is burned on a fire?the wood sir ceases to exist it can no longer be called wood,so sir does that mean nothing is left behind?the wood ceases to exist BUT what is left is the ashes(nirvana)

Have you ever heard of dharmakaya?
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited July 2012
    KarunaDharmakaya"
    nirvana as the blowing out of a candle is in reference to the end of defilements/samsara.
    The actual phrase (found in the Sutta-Nipata verse 235) says nothing about "blowing out" a candle. This is an urban myth, in other words. The flame goes out for lack of oil or the pulling out of the wick.

"The old is destroyed, the new is not arising. [Those whose minds are disgusted with future existence, their seeds (of rebirth) have been destroyed (and) they have no desire for growth.] The wise are quenched like this lamp. This outstanding jewel too is in the Order; by this truth may there be well-being." (trans. K.R. Norman)

Nirvana, itself, is an ontological state—not sheer absence as the Sautrantikas believe.
  • KarunaDharmakaya"
    The actual phrase (found in the Sutta-Nipata verse 235) says nothing about "blowing out" a candle. This is an urban myth, in other words. The flame goes out for lack of oil or the pulling out of the wick.

"The old is destroyed, the new is not arising. [Those whose minds are disgusted with future existence, their seeds (of rebirth) have been destroyed (and) they have no desire for growth.] The wise are quenched like this lamp. This outstanding jewel too is in the Order; by this truth may there be well-being." (trans. K.R. Norman)

Nirvana, itself, is an ontological state—not sheer absence as the Sautrantikas believe.
    Hey song hill
    In reference to blowing out of candle,i was qouting cloud,and trying to explain the answer to him with the wording he already used previously.

Do you currently belong to a sangha?
  • KarunaDharmakaya, technically, the only sangha there is the Triple Gem Sangha for arya pudgala, never prithagjana. I don't belong to a Buddhist community. I used to belong to a number of them when I was younger. In my old age I stay away from such communities. ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I think this is worth reading (short):
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dharmadata/fdd43.htm
  • I think this is worth reading (short):
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dharmadata/fdd43.htm
    articles need passages from suttas/sutras,other wise noone will know if its hearsay or the teachings of the Lord Buddha.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    That's not an article.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    "As taught in the Fire Sermon, there is nothing that should be identified or clung to as the self among the five aggregates. Nor is there anything apart from the five aggregates which can be the basis of a permanent, unchanging, independent self. This includes nirvana. So if one believes that nirvana is something that can be identified with the self, or as the abiding place of a self, owned by a self or even as something that can be contrasted with a self, then one has not really understood nirvana let alone come to know it as it really is."

http://nichirenscoffeehouse.net/Ryuei/nirvana.html

Plenty of references in that article, and very well spoken.
  • Cloud:

The so-called Fire Sermon (Ādittapariyāya Sutta) which is found in the Samyutta-Nikaya (S.iv.19) makes no mention of the self, nor are the five khandhas mentioned. I have checked out the other Suttas related to the Ādittapariyāya Sutta, there is no mention of the self.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Apparently Nirvana is not just penetrating emptiness, it's penetrating the Four Noble Truths. The mind has to see that all of its attachments, all of its concerns that it's holding on to (everything it turns to) is Dukkha, and then release from those concerns, finding itself without wanting. The mind only stays attached to the world when it hasn't discerned this fact, when it's not clear that its own wants and attachments are the issue.

Songhill just read the whole article, don't nitpick over the quote I chose to share.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @Cloud

dispassion am i correct?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Taiyaki, I would say so. There's nothing worth clinging to.
  • There's nothing worth letting go of.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, Meaning? So don't let go of greed, hatred and delusion then? ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Everything is just a functioning of emptiness. Samsara is a functioning of emptiness, Nirvana is a functioning of emptiness. We are emptiness, we are the five aggregates, we are conditioned phenomena... not-self without exception, empty without exception. This "substance" that is really no substance, that takes on many faces, is this emptiness that we are. It's not something we can grasp. When there's delusion, there is craving/wanting and attachment, and there is suffering. When there is wisdom, Nirvana, this suffering ceases... but the "water" of emptiness flows on, this Great Ocean. There was never any true separation to begin with, no self or other, only delusional clinging that gave rise to suffering again and again.

Samsara is emptiness with (conditioned-by) craving/clinging, Nirvana is emptiness without ("not"-conditioned-by or "unconditioned"-by) craving/clinging. What we are, have always been, doesn't actually change. It's simply that the cause for suffering has been fully abandoned and suffering will no longer arise. This unconditioned state is what's experienced in life as Nirvana, and results also in no further suffering upon/after death and dissolution of the aggregates.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    :thumbup:
  • "As taught in the Fire Sermon, there is nothing that should be identified or clung to as the self among the five aggregates. Nor is there anything apart from the five aggregates which can be the basis of a permanent, unchanging, independent self. This includes nirvana. So if one believes that nirvana is something that can be identified with the self, or as the abiding place of a self, owned by a self or even as something that can be contrasted with a self, then one has not really understood nirvana let alone come to know it as it really is."

http://nichirenscoffeehouse.net/Ryuei/nirvana.html

Plenty of references in that article, and very well spoken.
    Hey cloud:First you say its not an article then you say it is,aslo what you posted is hearsay from the article as I already pointed out,it has no references to actually sutras/suttas.

then you try to reference it to a sutta,where as song hill points out your very argument does not exist.

then you say if someone beleives nirvana can be identified with the self then they have not understood nirvana.have you ever read ANY Tathagatagarbha sutra??the VERY Buddha nature sutras from where Buddha nature COMES FROM states Nirvana is the true self.
    anyone who uses the term Buddha nature traces the Buddha nature back to its ORIGINAL SOURCE,you sir are simply disagreeing with the Buddha natures original sources
    (the sutras)

tell you what go ahead and post WHAT THE BUDDHA NATURE IS based on where it comes from go ahead.making up things that go against the Buddha nature sutras then saying thats what Buddha nature is just shows a lack of actual study of the Tathagatagarbha texts for which Mahayana Buddhism is founded on(chan founded on lankavatara)zen founded on Lotus sutra,teintai is founded on lotus sutra and Paranirvana sutra,ALL of mahayana Buddhism is incompensed in the Buddha nature teachings yet all of you seem to INGNORE what the actual tathagatagarbha sutras are telling you.
  • LET THE SUTRAS EDUCATE YOU ON WHAT BUDDHA NATURE IS.(not make up your own views about what it is then try to say the very sutras rthat teach Buddha nature are wrong)(that makes no sense)

chapter 3 on grief
    Then, the World-Honoured One praised all the bhiksus and said: "It is good, it is good, that you practise the selflessness meditation." Then all bhiksus said to the Buddhha: "We not only practise the selflessness meditation, but even other meditations, to wit, all those on Suffering, the non-Eternal, and Selflessness. O World-Honoured One! When intoxicated, the mind spins round, and all mountains, rivers, castles, palaces, the sun, moon and stars appear to spin round too. O World-Honoured One! Any person who does not practise the meditation of the non-Eternal and Selflessness cannot be called a sage. Due to indolence, one repeats birth and death. O World-Honoured One! Because of this, we all practise such meditations."
    Then the Buddha said to all the bhiksus: "Hear me well, hear me well! Now, you mention the case of an intoxicated person. This refers to knowledge, but not the signification. What do I mean by signification? The intoxicated person sees the sun and moon, which do not move, but he thinks they do. The same is the case with beings. As all illusion and ignorance overhang [the mind], the mind turns upside down and takes Self for non-Self, Eternal for non-Eternal, Purity as non-Pure, and Bliss as sorrow. Overhung by illusion, this thought arises. Though this though arises, the meaning is not gained [realised]. This is as in the case of the intoxicated person who takes what does not move as moving. The Self' signifies the Buddha; 'the Eternal' signifies the Dharmakaya; 'Bliss' signifies Nirvana, and 'the Pure' signifies Dharma. Bhiksus, why is it said that one who has the idea of a Self is arrogant and haughty, traversing round Samsara? Bhiksus, although you might say, 'We also cultivate impermanence, suffering, and non-Self, these three kinds of cultivation have no real value/ meaning. I shall now explain the excellent three ways of cultivating Dharma. To think of suffering as Bliss and to think of Bliss as suffering, is perverse Dharma; to think of the impermanent as the Eternal and to think of the Eternal as impermanent is perverse Dharma; to think of the non-Self [anatman]as the Self [atman] and to think of the Self [atman] as non-Self [anatman] is perverse Dharma; to think of the impure as the Pure and to think of the Pure as impure is perverse Dharma. Whoever has these four kinds of perversion, that person does not know the correct cultivation of dharmas. Bhiksus, you give rise to the idea of Bliss with regard to phenomena associated with suffering; the idea of Eternity with regard to phenomena associated with impermanence; the idea of the Self with regard to phenomena without Self; and the idea of Purity with regard to phenomena that are impure. Both the mundane and also the supramundane have the Eternal, Bliss, the Self, and Purity. Mundane teachings [dharmas] have letters and are without meaning [referents]; the Supramundane [teachings] have letters and meaning. Why? Because mundane people have these four perversions, they are unacquainted with the [true] meaning/ referents. Why? Having these perverse ideas, their minds and vision are distorted. Through these three perversions, mundane people see suffering in Bliss, impermanence in the Eternal, non-Self in the Self, and impurity in the Pure. These are called perversions/ inversions. Because of these perversions/ inversions, mundane people know the letters but not the meaning [referents]. What is the meaning/referent? Non-Self is Samsara, the Self is the Tathagata; impermanence is the sravakas and pratyekabuddhas, the Eternal is the Tathagata's Dharmakaya; suffering is all tirthikas, Bliss is Nirvana; the impure is all compounded [samskrta] dharmas , the Pure is the true Dharma that the Buddha and Bodhisattvas have. This is called non-perversion/ non-inversion. By not being inverted [in one's views], one will know [both] the letter and the meaning. If one desires to be freed from the four perverse/ inverted [views - catur-viparita-drsti], one should know the Eternal, Blissful, the Self and the Pure in this manner."
This discussion has been closed.