Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's not so bad ...

DaozenDaozen Veteran
edited July 2012 in General Banter
Compared to all other eras in history, humans are healthier (we are living longer) & wealthier than we've ever been; there's less violence, more education (as shown by rising literacy levels) and opportunity than ever before.

And before you reply with "Oh but what about ...x's suffering?" -- I KNOW many people are poor, sick, uneducated and/or living with war. Yes, that's true. And it's not good, obviously. But AS A WHOLE, there is less of this than every before in human history.

So just saying - things ain't so bad, if you look at the big picture.

Personally, I find that thought comforting.

Namaste

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Not so bad. Pros and cons. One pro is much increased tolerance for others in the world as compared to in the past.
    A con is there's certainly more to cling to; more desire for acquisition in the world.

Another pro is cultural exchange because of how connected the world is now, which results in such phenomena as Buddhism being introduced to the west and becoming more popular.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    A con is there's certainly more to cling to; more desire for acquisition in the world.
    True. Materialism appears to be on the rise, which from a Buddhist POV provides new challenges. But still, I call that a 'good' problem, if you know what I mean.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Daozen, Perhaps so. More to desire equals more suffering. More suffering equals more people who search for an end of suffering... perhaps that's why Buddhism is becoming popular (somewhat) in America at all, because even having "all of this" people aren't finding true or lasting happiness. They have to turn to another solution, in this case "Eastern" religions such as Buddhism which are different from the norm. We really have everything here, and yet people are suffering greatly. Being whatever you want, doing whatever you want, having anything you want... well it still takes a lot of work, doesn't always work out, and doesn't satisfy for long. It's just more suffering to experience.
  • ThePensumThePensum Explorer
    The question is, that although there is definitely less violence, better health, wealth and literacy, how much has human nature changed?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    What is "human nature" to begin with?
  • The question is, that although there is definitely less violence, better health, wealth and literacy, how much has human nature changed?
    That's the truth right there. Humans are still the same. The majority follow the dominant group at the time; rap is popular, so EVERYONE likes rap, simple as that. Catholicism is the dominant religion taught, so everyone is a Christian. You are taunted for being different.

Obviously I'm grouping, not everyone is a follower and I'm someone who was ok with being an outcast.

The issue now, is that wealthier countries like America make it harder and harder for people to reach enlightenment. I was born and raised in America, and my friends would always try to convince me to buy something so I could have "fun" like everyone else. They would also try to convince me to drink, because "it's not bad, and I won't understand until I try it". Honestly Idk how I turned out the way I did. My experience is not common at all, and sadly ALL my friends either love alcohol, sex, purchasing, or arguing.

I am grateful, however, that more people than ever can live more comfortable lives without having to worry about starvation or shelter. I just wish that my fellow americans can see it isn't always about buying things to be as good as everyone else; it's about helping those who need it, and even those who don't.

In theory, the world could be a great place if we all chipped in and held out a hand to those in need instead of worrying about satiation.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Compared to all other eras in history...

But AS A WHOLE, there is less of this than every before in human history.

It's designed to be comforting - no matter how bad you think you got it, it was worse before so we're progressing!!!

I am inspired by your point but wonder how you know "all other eras", "as a whole" "ever before in human history" - can I safely assume that you mean "all other known eras"?

Is the big picture exclusive to humans or do we factor in 'nature' (all other things) to that too?
  • Compared to all other eras in history, humans are healthier (we are living longer) & wealthier than we've ever been; there's less violence, more education (as shown by rising literacy levels) and opportunity than ever before.

And before you reply with "Oh but what about ...x's suffering?" -- I KNOW many people are poor, sick, uneducated and/or living with war. Yes, that's true. And it's not good, obviously. But AS A WHOLE, there is less of this than every before in human history.

Namaste
    I agree..
    People should not forget that even 50 years ago, people didn't have as much as we have now, in terms of knowledge, books, internet, etc etc, So imagin 2500 years ago.. Wow, they would have had NOTHING, therefore all these unique teachings about suffering and how to overcome suffering would have blown people away. But in our now modern day, I personally believe we shouldn't 'need' to follow precepts from a person 2500 years ago, to gain enlightenment. Most people these days follow the precepts without even knowing about buddhism. (what he taught, most people these days practice 'naturally'

I've always stated and believe that the buddhas teachings are 'common sense' for most people in our modern day!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's not so bad, for a big but shrinking portion of the world's population. It's not so good, either, for a growing portion of the world's population. We live in an age of miracles, but human nature has never changed and will never change unless the people in charge find a way to control our minds, and that certainly won't be for the better.

We were always capable of great selfish cruelty and great compassion. For all our miracles, the behavior we saw in the past is exactly what we see today. A person's world consists of their desires and fears and their immediate experiences and tribal identity. It doesn't matter how good you have it, you will always have desires and fears and believe the entire world revolves around you and your people. That's dukkha.

Sure, we focus on our fears and unmet desires instead of what's good in our lives. I know in a medical emergency there are two local hospitals that can perform miracles to save my life. It's wonderful, and I'm blessed to live in a country where I can say that. Try getting proper medical care in third world countries. But my immediate concern is that the cost of my medical insurance is eating away at my ability to pay my other bills, and that emotional reaction is what drives my behavior and beliefs about the world.

Or to quote my first Zen teacher, the Rev Young, "It's hard to enjoy knowing you've finished draining the swamp when you're surrounded by pissed-off alligators."

• SileSile Veteran
    The question is, that although there is definitely less violence, better health, wealth and literacy, how much has human nature changed?
    Our natures don't change much, but our knowledge and skill in working with our natures can.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think we're likely, as a human race, reached a peak unfortunately. Our population is growing too fast to sustain the health/wealth/literacy etc. Literacy, for example, is actually decreasing in some areas in the US, as is wealth (and with it health, as to have health you have to have financial resources). I think the # of people who are in need of basic human services is going to increase far faster than the # of people who have the good stuff. Largely because so many who have "the good stuff" don't want to share it, and they most certainly don't want to share it with people who they consider lazy.
  • ALL my friends either love alcohol, sex, purchasing, or arguing.
    Well... Those things are quite fun :nyah:
  • ALL my friends either love alcohol, sex, purchasing, or arguing.
    Well... Those things are quite fun :nyah:
    "...older whiskey, younger women, faster horses, and more money.." according to the old cowboy in a Tom T Hall song.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I can appreciate where we are today... 50 years ago I probably would have been subjected to much more pressure to practice the Christian faith, because of where I was born... although we have always had freedom of religion in the US, we really did not have the options available to us, without severe peer bashing, as we do now. And if I was black, or even famale, 50 years ago, my roles would have been determined for me.

The world is shrinking, which in many ways is a good thing... crimes against humanity are now reportable real-time, and in the world view more than ever.

The Muslim fanatics are feeling the intrusion of the shrinking world, and they are uncomfortable and lashing out... this will pass as they are not immune to the melting pot this world is becoming, forcing us all to be more accomodating and understanding.

I do worry about the feeding and care of the world population, but we continue to increase our technologic intelligence, so hopefully we can get ahead, and stay ahead, of this problem.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    The good news about the 21st century is that we haven't a world war. Yet...
  • I acknowledge the usefulness of medical advances and healthcare. But am dubious about 'progress' in other areas: an archaeologist friend once calculated that neolithic european people would work an average of 20 hours per week to provide for the family. Nowadays in order to fuel 'progress' many of us work 4 times this much and I'm not convinced we are any happier for it.