Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do monks eat?

2»

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I had a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast yesterday and it was delicious. It's my favourite breakfast food :) Cheeseburgers are also great when you're on the run. I like to be able to buy food from the comfort of my car, too. It's almost magical.
    Heathen!! :p

I find it interesting how many Chinese Buddhist temples tend to have excellent vegetarian food - if food was merely sustenance, then why bother even making it so tasty? Not that I'm complaining as a layperson of course...
  • :D
  • SileSile Veteran
    Some tastiness is just plain healthiness. A plain vegetable is good for you; a vegetable with garlic and fresh herbs is better for you.

I suppose to reduce attachment, though, you could eat the components separately or something.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Some tastiness is just plain healthiness. A plain vegetable is good for you; a vegetable with garlic and fresh herbs is better for you.

I suppose to reduce attachment, though, you could eat the components separately or something.

Actually, Chinese Buddhists aren't supposed to eat garlic or onions or other "fetid" vegetables, as they are considered too sensuous or something.

But I get what you mean.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Actually, Chinese Buddhists aren't supposed to eat garlic or onions or other "fetid" vegetables, as they are considered too sensuous or something.

But I get what you mean.
    Hey Invincible_summer
    You have restaurants in Vancouver that only serve food with those Monastic restrictions.
    The Po kong on Kingsway is one that we use.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The garlic and onions (along with leeks and a couple other things) is probably a carry over from Ayurvedic medicine. They were said, back in the day, to have invoked ignorance and passion. I find that a little silly. Eating garlic is actually very good for you, and to ignore the health benefits because of an age-old idea that eating garlic will make you ignorant just doesn't make sense to me.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I just see an enclosed group of folks trying to remain celibate.

I have no idea of what natural products might enhance ones sexual health or not but I assume that what is accepted as good in the world does not always translate well to renunciates.

But I get what you mean.
    Hey Invincible_summer
    You have restaurants in Vancouver that only serve food with those Monastic restrictions.
    The Po kong on Kingsway is one that we use.
    @how - I definitely know that place! Bodhi Choi Heung and Po Kong are some of my favourite places to eat Chinese food, incidentally.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Invincible_summer
    We tried the Bodhi Choi Heung a few years ago but found the food a bit greasy on our one visit but if you consider it comparable to the Po Kong, I'll try it again.
    Thanks
    H
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    @PedanticPorpoise (boy that name is harder to type), Yes, yes you would. And that would be very evident, you'd be craving for all sorts of things you couldn't have, and then a lightbulb would go off that your mind is constantly craving. Booyah.
    That light-bulb went off ( on? ) some time ago.
    ;)