Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sounds like Buddha Dharma

edited July 2006 in Buddhism Today
"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us, "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein - (1879-1955) Physicist and Professor, Nobel Prize 1921

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    He also said that Buddhism was the best choice for religion in the modern age. (Now where is that quotation? I know I have it here somewhere...)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    "Seek and ye shall find"...

...No....... that's not it......:poke:
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    He also said that Buddhism was the best choice for religion in the modern age. (Now where is that quotation? I know I have it here somewhere...)

It's in my sig!! **points**
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That's right!I knew it was somewhere close by! lol!
    Thanks, Padawan.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2006
    By the way- is it only me, or does the title of this thread give the impression of a re-worked Nirvana song with sitars?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    With the lights out,
    It's less dangerous
    Here we are now
    Enlighten us...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!

Yes! Do it, BF. Record a Tibetan bamboo flute version of Smells like Teen Spirit! That would be awesome!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Forgive me, everyone- I just couldn't resist this!! With apologies to all and sundry (For the inaccuracies and hopeless lyrics), I bring you.........

Sounds Like Buddha Dhamma

Load up on love
    And bring your friends
    It’s true- good karma never ends!
    Be not angry, be at peace
    Let all your suffering now cease.

Hello, hello, hello, Ghasso!
    Hello, hello, hello.

With our lights on, we’re less dangerous
    Here we are now, enlighten us
    This good karma is contagious
    To Nibbanna,
    With the Dhamma
    And a mala
    Dalai Lama,
    Yeah

Do or do not, there is no try,
    To leave Samsara when we die
    Our online Sanghas’ always been
    And always will until the end

Hello, hello, hello.

To Nibbanna,
    With the Dhamma
    And a mala
    Dalai Lama,
    Yeah

*Sitar solo, a-la Ravi Shankar style*

And I forget all sense of self
    I leave bad karma on the shelf.
    I meditate for peace of mind,
    My Buddha-nature for to find

Hello, hello, hello.

To Nibbanna,
    With the Dhamma
    And a mala
    Dalai Lama,

Dhammapadda(x 9)
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2006
    *ahem* back on topic.....:crazy:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Dying...you're...killing me....can't stop....laughing...can't....breathe.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Especially this part:
    To Nibbanna,
    With the Dhamma
    And a mala
    Dalai Lama

This deserves to go off topic. This deserves to be recorded. Padawan, you're a genius! I can't stop laughing, gonna pee my pants, I swear...
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Especially this part:

This deserves to go off topic. This deserves to be recorded. Padawan, you're a genius! I can't stop laughing, gonna pee my pants, I swear...

Thank you! :rockon: I've not tried anything like this for a while- glad you enjoyed it!!:grin:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Padawan...I can't believe my foot was actually tapping as I read that....
    tom-toms with the sitar....groovy baby!!

Buddhafoot - I challenge you to put that to music and bring it back for us all to hear....!!

Utterly brilliant! Heck - I'd buy it - !!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Buddhafoot - I challenge you to put that to music and bring it back for us all to hear....!!

I second that challenge.
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    LOL!

Yes! Do it, BF. Record a Tibetan bamboo flute version of Smells like Teen Spirit! That would be awesome!

You know....

I could bust out my didgeridoo, my bouzouki and irish flute and come up with something that would not be worth listening to!

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Padawan wrote:
    Forgive me, everyone- I just couldn't resist this!! With apologies to all and sundry (For the inaccuracies and hopeless lyrics), I bring you.........

Sounds Like Buddha Dhamma

Dhammapadda(x 9)

Not what I had in mind. Yet, made it even better!!!

I suppose you would want royalties for that!! LOL
  • edited June 2006
    lmao Pad, that is fantastic!

Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Huge smile on mah face! :D

Sas :buck:

PS: bf you HAVE to do something with that!! Or I'll ummmmmmmm..... set YM on ya!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    Not what I had in mind. Yet, made it even better!!!

I suppose you would want royalties for that!! LOL

Who wants royalties? I'd just like to hear what this would sound like! :lol:
  • edited June 2006
    Padawan: I think are someone to invite to all parties. (Me singing to Pink's 'Get this Party Started")
  • edited July 2006
    that song...would be...awesome
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I shall volunteer to sing it when the grunge version is done. Though sitars are cool, distorted guitars are even cooler.

I will go back to my corner now.
  • edited July 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    I shall volunteer to sing it when the grunge version is done. Though sitars are cool, distorted guitars are even cooler.

I will go back to my corner now.

Okay, okay! I'm working on it! Remember, have kid's on summer break !
    edited July 2006
    I'm actually working on it too!

I've got tablas and a crunchy, echoey guitar thing I'm working on.

I will save the vocal content for Jerbear.

Iawa... should we collaberate?

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Cookie Monster (used in metal to sound like something from the pit of hell), screaming (used by anyone who really can't sing), Cobain style (marbles in your mouth), or so people can understand me?
  • edited July 2006
    Cobain style for sure
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I can do that. I like the "Nevermind" album. Heck, I like some on the "In Utero" also.
    edited July 2006
    YOU like In Utero...

Now I'm really confused.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    By what? Being in the Womb? I thought it was kind of cool. Just laid around and grew and got womb service! It was great!
    edited July 2006
    Okay... I've made a drum track, the beginning guitar and the crunch guitar for two verses and two choruses...

Am I going through with this? Or are the vocalist going to stand me up?

-bf
    edited July 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    By what? Being in the Womb? I thought it was kind of cool. Just laid around and grew and got womb service! It was great!

Womb Service. Ay Carumba.

Did you have a Womb Mate? A Rest Womb?

You need some new material my friend :)

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yes I did have a womb mate. My twin sister. We were quite comfy, thank you!

And there is no problem with the vocalist. I was screaming and cookie monster vocalizing in the car on my way to an appointment yesterday. Preparing my voice ya know!
    edited July 2006
    Okay... after listening to this, I realized that I missed a bit about "A mulato, an albino,..." etc.

It's rough - I know... I'm not spending a lot of time on this until I hear Jerbear's vocals put to what I've got... then I'll finish it.

It's the rough version - not the one I was thinking of with a bouzouki and tablas... I can always do that later :)

http://www.claymohr.com/mp3/smells.mp3

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    That's AWESOME! It's totally perfect! So good, BF! I was LMAO in sheer delight while listening to it, it's so good!

I can't wait to hear the vocals!

Padawan, what do you think? Can they use your lyrics? If so, this is going to be hilarious!
    edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    That's AWESOME! It's totally perfect! So good, BF! I was LMAO in sheer delight while listening to it, it's so good!

I can't wait to hear the vocals!

Padawan, what do you think? Can they use your lyrics? If so, this is going to be hilarious!

Well, like I said, I'll clean it up if someone puts vocals on this. There were a couple of spots I was off meter. I'll clean up the guitars and give it the whole "production" scrub down :)

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I noticed the guitar coming in a little too soon but then again it was kind of cool and distinguished itsef from the original. lol! Okay, you're right, it might be better to clean that up a little but I can't wait to hear the vocals! This should be sooooooo good! I bet Curt would've loved it.
    edited July 2006
    I agree.

Just don't want to spend too much time on an "instrumental", ya know? This is a group effort.

I'm just wondering if Jerbear is polishing his pipes for his big audition...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    How would Jerry add his vocals? Would he download what you've done and work with Quicktime or something?
  • edited July 2006
    Fantastic bf!

Can't wait for the vocals to be added!

Sas :rocker:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, how do I do it? I'm clueless on this stuff. I think I have a mic around here somewhere but they are pretty cheap.
    edited July 2006
    Hmmm...

Well, if you have a mic - plug it into your computer.

Then you could use Windows Media Player to play it.

Then you could use Sound Recorder to record your vocals as you sing along with the track in Windows Media Player.

Then you could send me the .wav file of your singing.

Then I'll mix them all together.

I know I make that sound easy - but I'm sure you'll run into some problems. Computers always have problems.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Sound Recorder?
  • edited July 2006
    start menu, programs, accersories,entertainment, sound recorder
    edited July 2006
    Thanks, Celebrin....

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    Don't forget Corbain ran vocals through a chorus pedal for enriched sound.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Remember, Cobain was a pro. I'm a silly amateur goofin round!
  • edited July 2006
    Cobain was a simple guy, couldn't take the heat when the radio and MTV made him a star.
    edited July 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    Cobain was a simple guy, couldn't take the heat when the radio and MTV made him a star.

True dat.

AS much as I liked Nirvana - my current state of "self" has a hard time with people who chicken out and commit suicide.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Ever since I got injured I've thought about Curt Cobain a lot when I was in seemingly constant pain because he suffered constant stomach pain. There have been times when I've wished that suicide could be some kind of answer but knowing that it can never be makes me feel even more empathy for him.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Also, another way to look at suicide is that the person who is ready to commit it really sees no other way out. That is some pretty intense suffering in my book. Though it is seen as a selfish act, it says the person wanted some relief that they weren't able to obtain otherwise. All the more reason to be kind and compassionate to all.
  • edited July 2006
    Well said!