Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Black, Green or White Tea.

WilliamHobbsWilliamHobbs Explorer
edited July 2012 in Diet & Habits
Which tea do you prefer? Why do you prefer it to the others? Because of the taste? Benefits? Price? I like Earl Grey Tea, but not Twining's Earl Grey because they ruined the blend, it's too lemony, almost like soap. How could they change it after hundreds of years? Ridiculous.

Comments

• Yorkshire tea. You don't appreciate it until you can't get it anymore. People in Canada think orange pekoe is an acceptable substitute. I got used to it I guess, but it's not the same.

Weak with too much milk and sugar. That's the British way, and rightly so. :)

I've tried a few herbal teas, I like camomile and ginger blends a lot, not too keen on loose leaf stuff, though I did get a really good lavender one from a friend, it was surprisingly rich, but none compare to a good old fashioned brew.
  • Fresh Green and White tea... I buy in bulk when I am in Thailand. Looks like I'm bringing back kilos of pot in my duffle bag... lol Going there again in September to restock my supplies. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    A 50/50 mix of a stong Assam tea and a Queen Victoria blend from Murchies.
    It gives you that smokie flavour of a Lapsong Souchong without sacrificing the taste.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Don't forget red tea! African redbush tea! They make it as a non-caff Earl Grey, redbush (rooibos) with oil of Bergamot--heaven! (By Rishi)
    Other faves are Black Raspberry Green Tea and Wild Berry Plum Decaf Green, both by Republic of Tea. They also have a nice rose petal white tea, and a good non-caf chai.

So many teas, so little time! :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Though I adore many, the best tea I ever had was at a Hocąk gathering--they made typical cowboy tea (big pot boiling in the fire with a bunch of Lipton bags tied together) but added handfuls of wašjįk pųc, lit. "rabbit's nose," i.e. wintergreen!

So-called because the little round leaves are said to look like a rabbit's nose.

I was thinking only yesterday of trying to find some wintergreen and conjure this brew up again.
  • I'm a green tea and white tea kind of guy. While it's not my favorite nor the best, Tazo has some pretty affordable teas, my favorite being berryblossom white. My favorite tea is genmaicha green tea, but since that's quite expensive here in the U.S, I am usually stuck with Tazo or other inexpensive brands.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Chamomile, and valarian root for me.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I know they're not specific varieties of tea, but I really love masala chai and teh tarik... I suppose they both have black tea bases.

Pu'er (普洱茶) is another one I enjoy.

Matcha will always have a special place in my heart.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Oh, and nam dok anchan (น้ำดอกอัญชัญ)! I learned about how awesome this tastes with lemon and sugar on my recent trip to Thailand
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Jasmine transports me instantly back to childhood...especially from this quintessential tin:

• I once went to The Ritz in London. It was incredible, I had Jasmine Tea and Jasmine honey on my scones.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Sile I have memories of gathering wintergreen berries with my grandmother. Delicious! Darn hard to find though... I had no idea the leaves were useful as well. :)

Lately, I've been really digging Genmai-cha, which is a Japanese green tea with roasted brown rice. The flavor is savory and wonderful.

The other day when I was parking my car, I realized that the weeds in the alleyway were peppermint plants! (I mistakenly thought it was catnip at first until I noticed the purple flowers) Funny to find something like that in such an urban setting like Detroit... I guess you just never know. :) I gathered and dried some of the leaves but haven't tried it yet.

• When I was very small, I sprayed some silly-string on the alleyway wall near my house. It's still there, a blue mark, it's probably been there for more than ten years now.
  • Yorkshire tea. You don't appreciate it until you can't get it anymore. People in Canada think orange pekoe is an acceptable substitute. I got used to it I guess, but it's not the same.

I've tried a few herbal teas, I like camomile and ginger blends a lot, not too keen on loose leaf stuff, though I did get a really good lavender one from a friend, it was surprisingly rich, but none compare to a good old fashioned brew.
    As an Englishman I guess I should be ashamed to say I don't drink tea very often! Usually coffee. Sometimes I will have redbush tea if I'm wanting to reduce my caffeine intake.

When younger I did drink my tea weak with milk and sugar though :)

As an Englishman I guess I should be ashamed to say I don't drink tea very often! Usually coffee. Sometimes I will have redbush tea if I'm wanting to reduce my caffeine intake.

Heh :) Well, I do tend to skip the sugar these days, but when I'm ill sweet milky tea is my go to remedy. I do like a good cup of coffee now and then, but I used to drink waaaay too much and had to give it up for a while - I actually got withdrawal from it! So that put me off coffee somewhat :lol: I don't know if I'd get withdrawal from lack of tea, but I know I'm not "right" during the day if I don't have my morning cup.
  • My science teacher is heavily addicted to it, he tried to give it up and failed. Whenever he's miserable the kids shout 'COFFEE!' at him and he actually listens.

Heh :) Well, I do tend to skip the sugar these days, but when I'm ill sweet milky tea is my go to remedy. I do like a good cup of coffee now and then, but I used to drink waaaay too much and had to give it up for a while - I actually got withdrawal from it! So that put me off coffee somewhat :lol: I don't know if I'd get withdrawal from lack of tea, but I know I'm not "right" during the day if I don't have my morning cup.
    I did 7 years of night shifts after leaving college and my coffee addiction stems from then. I've tried giving up but you are quite right - withdrawal symptoms, particularly headaches, are dreadful. My wife has been known to switch our jar to decaf without telling me but I soon find out :(

• Oh no! I went from 10+ cups a day and quit cold turkey. I was really violently sick and had a migraine that was so bad I could hardly see. It's pretty astounding given that it's just coffee :lol: But yeah, withdrawal from coffee is very real. And when you do detox coffee suddenly isn't very appealing anymore.
  • My favorite is a very sweet and spicy tea- "Good Earth" brand, original flavor.