Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would it have been easier for people to become enlightened in Buddha's time?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
This is something I have been mulling over for a little while. I have heard in a few talks about people hearing the buddha's teachings once and becoming instantly enlightened.

Is this because they received the teachings directly from him or do you think it was easier for them to become enlightened in their time? I don't know much about what India was like around 600 BC but I'd imagine they weren't bombarded with the sort of crap we are these days about individualism nor would they have hoarded as much stuff as we Westerners have. Does this make it harder for us to "let go" than people in his time?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    1) People were already searching and had given up other preoccupations, i.e. there were a lot of homeless spiritual seekers that were ripe, ready to recognize the truth as soon as it was presented to them.

2) Yeah, coming from the Buddha, who wouldn't get it? He'd say it the way you needed to hear it, recognizing what your particular hang-ups were.

This doesn't mean it's harder now, it just means the circumstances are different than what they are in the sutras. There are still a lot of great teachers that could help people realize the truth, and if you put in the effort you'll also be "ripe" for that insight to develop. Plus there's a lot more people now... a LOT more. :D

There's more for people to cling to nowadays, that's true... but that's even more reason for them to awaken to the truth, since they eventually find no satisfaction whatsoever in their worldly existence of ups and downs. More clinging is more suffering, more suffering is greater cause for seeking an end of suffering (enlightenment). And Buddhism is prolific in its forms, such variety to suit more people! Overall I'd say it's even more fortuitous for people today, even if it doesn't seem to happen as instantly as in the sutras (though it can, if you're "ripe" through practice and encounter a genuine teacher).
    Bunks
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @bunks -- I sympathize completely with your question and simultaneously find it totally useless. If things were less hectic and more ripe for enlightenment in some once-upon-a-time, so what? And if words issued by Gautama made a more profound (I doubt it) impact, so what? I'm sure plenty of people heard Gautama speak and went back to their occupations without a backward look ... ho-hum, another sadhu.

As I say, I sympathize: Daydreaming can have its uses. And as the old saying goes, "Your life is so difficult that it has never been tried before." But your life or mine is all we've got ... and we are fortunate that Buddhism encourages us to get off our daydreaming fannies and put this life to some fruitful use.... something like 'enlightenment' perhaps.
  • The Buddha's teachings are timeless.
    Bunks