Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Morning Routine

ThePensumThePensum Explorer
edited August 2012 in Diet & Habits
How important is your morning routine? What is your morning routine? Do you ever think about it?

I used to get up quite early - by my standards, by no means early by universal standards. As a result I got into the habit of attempting to scrounge every last wink of sleep. That meant sleep till as late as possible, and condensing the morning wake up routine as much as possible. As soon as the alarm went off, everything had to go like clockwork: shower, xx minutes, breakfast yy minutes, shaving zz minutes. No margin for error, and not time to relax into the world out the slumber. No time to prepare, shall we say meditate, for the day to come.

Since moving to a new role, I don't have to get up quite so early. However, I adapted the same philosophy, scrounging every last minute of sleep possible, and condensing the morning routine.

A week or so back I decided to switch the routine up a bit. Instead of setting the alarm clock as late as possible, I set it to about ten minutes earlier than usual. I spent a few minutes stretching, and then went about the normal routine. I found that with the knowledge of a few extra minutes in my back pocket, I didn't have to rush, didn't have that internal clock ticking and driving every instant.

I don't know - but so far, it seems to be working. I'm more awake at work, sleeping better, and breathing better.

It wasn't that previously I was in a consistently bad, or stressed, or tired state. Nevertheless, so far, there seems to be a notable difference.

Thoughts?

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Perhaps the time right after you wake up is your most important time of the day, as it will set the mood for the rest of your day.

Comments

• Oh man I need so much time in the morning! I get up like two hours before I have to go anywhere so I can loll around and take it easy. Two cups of tea, a couple of cigarettes, do my emails, a nice long shower... If I rush around in the morning I feel crappy for the rest of the day, I like to take it slow :) Also, as a bonus, if I do sleep past my alarm I'm still unlikely to be late.
    TreeLuvr87
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I'm self employed; it rarely ever matters if I'm late somewhere. I like it that way, though I need to have some discipline otherwise it'd be 10.00 am starts every morning.

I'm thinking of going to bed earlier to get up earlier to do some meditation; but that's not easy for me.
  • I have no set routine, I work from home and depending on what I have done the previous day/night will depend on what time I wake up the next day. However, it is almost certain that I will take either some diazepam and or clonazepam in the morning for severe anxiety disorder.

At the moment I have a project with a tight deadline so I am spending most of my time working and working in illustrator/photoshop.

Relating to buddhist practice I always keep in mind certain teachings such as letting go of things, nothing is permanent etc, but meditation still I cannot find time for. I am waiting for October when the meditation centre in my town starts classes again, I think this will benefit me greatly.
  • I have just really been reminded of the importance of the morning routine.

A relaxed less clockwork entrance to the day seems to suit me, a working stiff :-)
    DaltheJigsaw
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I'm a real morning person. I normally wake and rise between 5am and 6am. Put the coffee pot straight on and jump in the shower.

Leave for the train to work between 6am and 7am. I spend almost an hour on the train and use that time to meditate and / or read up on the dharma.

Makes me actually look forward to my commute which I can't say I always have.....
    DaltheJigsawGentleJanet
  • I wonder how many people in the world, well western world drink coffee daily? I don't and I know so many people who rely on it. I wake up sometimes at 5am, but sometimes I go to bed at 5am lol, I really have no routine, routine tends to bore me.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • I always allow time to enjoy my breakfast while watching a local news channel, then play with the dogs abit before jumping in the shower and heading to work... makes for a more enjoyable morning. My wife on the otherhand sleeps till the last possible minute, then stresses about something popping up that will make her late. Why start your day off stressing?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Tea, Meditation, Shower, Brush my Teeth, Eat and Read.
    GentleJanet

I wonder how many people in the world, well western world drink coffee daily? I don't and I know so many people who rely on it. I wake up sometimes at 5am, but sometimes I go to bed at 5am lol, I really have no routine, routine tends to bore me.

I know many people in California,USA do!! I drink tea or water, but know of many people who heavily rely on coffee.
  • I enjoy the morning cup of coffee, as well as the post-lunch coffee. Again, a routine, a ritual.

It gives some energy perk, but maybe that's more placebo than anything.
    SilverWolf42712
  • ThePensum - Hi! I'm the same always waiting til the very last minute to get out of bed and if it's early and anyone who speaks to me within the first 10 minutes of me waking up will get their head bitten off. All my mindfulness goes out of the window for those few minutes. I would kind of say I'm not a morning person but once I'm up I enjoy the morning.

I'm glad you posted your comment as it's made me think about my morning routine and how grumpy I am first thing. That's great that you can get up 10 minutes earlier. Maybe I should try that tomorrow and see how I get on :) Thankyou, it was your post but you've actually helped me!
    GentleJanet
    ThePensum said:

I enjoy the morning cup of coffee, as well as the post-lunch coffee. Again, a routine, a ritual.

It gives some energy perk, but maybe that's more placebo than anything.

Do you also meditate after you drink coffee or before?