Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

vattupama sutta and bad qualities within us

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited September 2012 in Philosophy
without knowing and accepting that bad qualities are within us we never be able to get rid of them

first thing is to know what are the bad qualities that can be within us
then to check whether they are within us
then we can work on them

i hope that advance practisioners could contribute to this thread which will help all of us to work on our own bad qualities

seeker242Telly03

Comments

• The Sixteen Defilements of Mind:
    1. abhijjha-visama-lobha, covetousness and unrighteous greed
    2. byapada, ill will
    3. kodha, anger
    4. upanaha, hostility or malice
    5. makkha, denigration or detraction; contempt
    6. palasa, domineering or presumption
    7. issa, envy
    8. macchariya, jealousy, or avarice; selfishness
    9. maya, hypocrisy or deceit
    10. satheyya, fraud
    11. thambha, obstinacy, obduracy
    12. sarambha, presumption or rivalry; impetuosity
    13. mana, conceit
    14. atimana, arrogance, haughtiness
    15. mada, vanity or pride
    16. pamada, negligence or heedlessness; in social behavior, this leads to lack of consideration
  • search on 'vatthupama sutta, in majjima nikaya, tripitaka
  • as an 'advanced' practitioner, lack of right effort is my biggest stumbling block.
  • The sixteen defilements can be reduced to the five hindrances.
    "Monks, there are these five hindrances. Which five? Sensual desire as a hindrance, ill will as a hindrance, sloth & drowsiness as a hindrance, restlessness & anxiety as a hindrance, and uncertainty as a hindrance. These are the five hindrances.

"To abandon these five hindrances, one should develop the four frames of reference. Which four? There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves... mind in & of itself... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. To abandon the five hindrances, one should develop these four frames of reference."

Nivarana Sutta: Hindrances
    The Blessed One said this: "This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding — in other words, the four frames of reference. Which four?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    "Monks, there are these five hindrances. Which five? Sensual desire as a hindrance, ill will as a hindrance, sloth & drowsiness as a hindrance, restlessness & anxiety as a hindrance, and uncertainty as a hindrance. These are the five hindrances.
    Yes, the 5 hindrances are useful to work with. At times I simplify them to craving ( loba ) and aversion ( dosa ).

• 'jealousy, or avarice; selfishness'

if we simplify to loba and dosa where we can put the above

or to five hindrances

am i with craving or aversion if i am jealouse with one of my friend's success?
  • upekka said:

'jealousy, or avarice; selfishness'

Whenever there is a heartfelt sense of "pulling towards"(desiring his success for ourselves/lobha) or "pushing away"(relishing his failure/dosa), there is craving there. The sense of calm and peace or contentment is already disturbed. As you can see there is only a thin line between lobha and dosa.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    pegembara said:

upekka said:

'jealousy, or avarice; selfishness'

Whenever there is a heartfelt sense of "pulling towards"(desiring his success for ourselves/lobha) or "pushing away"(relishing his failure/dosa), there is craving there. The sense of calm and peace or contentment is already disturbed. As you can see there is only a thin line between lobha and dosa.
    Yes, I find the pulling in / pushing away description useful because it actually feels like that. Or wanting / not wanting. Or like the poles on a magnet, attraction and repulsion.
    If you look at mental activity quite a lot of it falls into these 2 basic categories.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited September 2012
    On the basis of ignorance we fabricate thing. Thing is made and attraction and repulsion solidfu the fabrication.

Ending aversion and attachment. There we see the object. Then we end objecthood of asserted object. No longer having name or form. What is left is suchness.

It is the movement of suchness. We see no longer is it a thing but a movement of dharma.

Deconstruct and construct. Make something solid then break down the solidity through direct investigation.

The big daddy is the assertion of thing.

Also idk about the word bad. Its more like solidity of phenomena causes the whole chain of suffering.

Breaking the chain brings about the cessation of suffering.

If you like to suffer then keep suffering. If you don't then see through fabrication.

See how reality is built direct by mind and ignorance.
  • Understanding and accepting the darkness in us allows us to control it... the problems occur when we deny that the darkness exists in us and we project it onto others, such as Hitler and the Jews... it justifies the bad actions.
  • macchariya, jealousy, or avarice; selfishness

i found five catagories of macchariya
    1. kula macchariya
    2. avasa macchariya
    3. laba maccariya
    4. vanna macchariya
    5. dhamma macchariya

if anyone can give the english translations to above it would be much appreciated

thanks in advance