Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The problem with rebirth.

jlljll Veteran
edited September 2012 in Philosophy
LostLight

Comments

• Would you mind providing some information about what it's about, instead of just throwing up a video with no other information as a thread?
  • @jll Thanks for sharing. I think I have heard this talk before, but buddhist talks always take on new meaning for me each time I Iisten.
  • I have not listened to Brahm for a while, I will do soon I am sure. But as Cloud said without dedicated a full 50 minutes or so we do not know the content to be honest. If I take the title of your thread literally, there is no problem with rebirth. I have said it before, live in the now and work on that with all of your power and knowledge, judgement w/e. If you cultivate good karma in the now daily then you will have lead a decent life and if rebirth is a reality then that is simply a bonus...
  • ThailandTom: Good point. The main problem with rebirth is western Buddhists who are hardcore materialists. There is very little difference between the tenets of materialism in early India, which the Buddha rejected, and modern ones. Both include disbelief in awakened persons, karma, rebirth, and the self. Both believe that we have only one life in which death is final. The materialist's only means of knowledge is by way of sensory evidence. In addition, the lifestyle of a typical Indian materialist was live for the moment (Richard King, Indian Philosophy, 18) which is not unlike the lifestyle of a typical Western Buddhist who are tying to live in the now.
  • @Songhill yea I just try to adapt this type of thinking to my day to day life, if we live our lives in the best way we can (spiritually speaking), then we have lived a virtuous life and if rebirth is real then it is a bonus level to the game :p

We can not do much about our past karma that we have generated apart from to dilute it by generating positive karma in the now.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Cloud said:

Would you mind providing some information about what it's about, instead of just throwing up a video with no other information as a thread?

It should still be noted that random postings with no introduction or commentary from the OP are frowned upon.
    Please all remember that posting footage or reference to articles and other outside links, should be supported by an opening comment.

Many thanks all....

• Yes that's what I was frowning about, thank you @federica. Especially when it's videos... you have to actually watch them to see what they're about, who is speaking, and so on. There should be a short blurb (hear us all ye members!).
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Songhill said:

ThailandTom: Good point. The main problem with rebirth is western Buddhists who are hardcore materialists. There is very little difference between the tenets of materialism in early India, which the Buddha rejected, and modern ones. Both include disbelief in awakened persons, karma, rebirth, and the self. Both believe that we have only one life in which death is final. The materialist's only means of knowledge is by way of sensory evidence. In addition, the lifestyle of a typical Indian materialist was live for the moment (Richard King, Indian Philosophy, 18) which is not unlike the lifestyle of a typical Western Buddhist who are tying to live in the now.

No, I don't think that's the problem with rebirth.

The problem with rebirth is that we don't know.

Most Buddhists don't accept the Christian concept of death followed by heaven or hell...because they don't know. Even many Christians are at least undecided and uneasy about it because they don't know.

Same with the concept of rebirth.

I am totally open-minded about it. I have no idea what's going to happen next.

• So am I Vinlyn but at the same time I really do not think about it too much because it is not important right now. We do not know, that is it yes, we don't so why bother trying to know when it is pretty much impossible to know.. Go back to what I suggested and just cultivate the now.

So am I Vinlyn but at the same time I really do not think about it too much because it is not important right now. We do not know, that is it yes, we don't so why bother trying to know when it is pretty much impossible to know.. Go back to what I suggested and just cultivate the now.

To some extent, how much one thinks about the general topic is quite dependent on age and health.
  • Ah this is a very valid point yes. I have had 2 times where I have been faced with the possibility of having cancer and even that was enough to make me think more into this sort of topic, and I am only 24 seven days ago. Still, if one has this notion of the self at an old age of course this will be playing on their mind, but if there is clarity and right view, there would not be much to worry about,.... I guess lol.
  • vinlyn:
    No, I don't think that's the problem with rebirth.

The problem with rebirth is that we don't know.

Most Buddhists don't accept the Christian concept of death followed by heaven or hell...because they don't know. Even many Christians are at least undecided and uneasy about it because they don't know.

Same with the concept of rebirth.

I am totally open-minded about it. I have no idea what's going to happen next.
    This problem can easily fall into Abraham Lincoln's maxim:
    "It is an established maxim and moral that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false is guilty of falsehood, and the accidental truth of the assertion does not justify or excuse him."
    We see this falsehood in the assertion, "I don't believe in rebirth or reincarnation," (although this person is not sure at all). "But I will change if you can prove it to me 100%."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    There's a difference between disbelief and non-belief. For instance in the matter of God, the agnostic has non-belief (does not hold a belief for or against), while the atheist has active disbelief against. The agnostic position does not fall into the falsehood of affirming or denying what is unknown.

One who doesn't hold belief in rebirth or reincarnation would be like the agnostic position... and one who flat-out denies them would be like the atheist position.

I think the problem is most people only see two options when there is always a third, that of "don't know". People don't like to admit that they don't really know, that they can't really know, and so they want to choose one side or the other and completely miss out on the spectacularly logical and reasonable position of neutral.
    Bunks
    Songhill said:

This problem can easily fall into Abraham Lincoln's maxim:

"It is an established maxim and moral that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false is guilty of falsehood, and the accidental truth of the assertion does not justify or excuse him."
    We see this falsehood in the assertion, "I don't believe in rebirth or reincarnation," (although this person is not sure at all). "But I will change if you can prove it to me 100%."

I know that quoting Lincoln wins you debating points, but this isn't a debate.

I don't believe OR not believe in rebirth or reincarnation or Christian heaven and hell or Buddhist heaven and hell. I see no concrete evidence of any of those things. But, no, I don't have to see 100% proof for that or almost anything. But just because Buddha or Jesus or anyone else tells me something, doesn't mean I believe it, either...that's blind faith (by my definition). I can test many -- perhaps even most -- of Buddha's principles to see if they "work" (for wont of a better term). So far, I haven't been convinced of anyone testing rebirth or reincarnation and coming up with solid (even though not 100%) proof. So I'll have to wait and see for myself...and then I'll let you know.

And, I'm not sure that I'd use Lincoln to prove Buddhist points: "And having thus chosen our course, without guile, and with pure purpose, let us renew our trust in God, and go forward without fear, and with manly hearts."

• There is nothing wrong in believing in a materialist world. Why? The evidence is showing that the materialist world is probably reality.

We have no good scientific evidence on rebirth, ghosts, and many other superstitious ideals. Why we all should accept our lives in faith alone?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Cloud said:

People don't like to admit that they don't really know, that they can't really know, and so they want to choose one side or the other and completely miss out on the spectacularly logical and reasonable position of neutral.

:thumbup:
  • Personal knowledge will never be able to hold up against objective scrutiny: infinite paths for infinite beings.
  • Rebirth is a skillful means. A point of entry for some. It points to the fact that all we identify with is changing and temporary.
    The problem comes when that skillful means becomes the core of yet another identity..the person who believes in Rebirth and who defends it against all perceived attack.
    Then the skillful means becomes just another egoic strategy.
  • vinlyn:
    So far, I haven't been convinced of anyone testing rebirth or reincarnation and coming up with solid (even though not 100%) proof. So I'll have to wait and see for myself...and then I'll let you know.
    A classical skeptic suspends (Grk., epoche) judgment. In the meantime, suspending judgment, check out this site which provides rebirth evidence: http://www.victorzammit.com/
    Songhill said:

vinlyn:

So far, I haven't been convinced of anyone testing rebirth or reincarnation and coming up with solid (even though not 100%) proof. So I'll have to wait and see for myself...and then I'll let you know.
    A classical skeptic suspends (Grk., epoche) judgment. In the meantime, suspending judgment, check out this site which provides rebirth evidence: http://www.victorzammit.com/

Websites like that are crap. That is not evidence. And if that type of website is evidence, then I'd have to say all the similar websites written by Christians about walking through a long tunnel with light at the end of tunnel...guess that means the Christians got it right, not the Buddhists.

• B5C:
    There is nothing wrong in believing in a materialist world. Why? The evidence is showing that the materialist world is probably reality.

We have no good scientific evidence on rebirth, ghosts, and many other superstitious ideals. Why we all should accept our lives in faith alone?
    For your information, the Buddha was against materialism. Before making such claims, you need to do your homework. You obviously haven't. I would advise you to buy the book, Irreducible Mind. This is from Wikipedia which is about the book.
    Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century is a 2007 book by Edward F. Kelly, Emily Williams Kelly, Adam Crabtree, Alan Gauld, Michael Grosso, and Bruce Greyson. The book begins by presenting a brief overview of contemporary neuroscience followed by a summary of the approach to scientific psychology proposed by Frederic William Henry Myers. Myers (and William James) posited that a "true science of mind should seriously take into account all kinds of human experiences before prematurely accepting a theory of mind".

The book presents empirical studies of phenomena related to psychosomatic medicine, placebo effects, near-death experiences, mystical experiences, and creative genius, to argue for a "strongly dualistic theory of mind and brain". Irreducible Mind depicts the mind as an entity independent of the brain or body, with which it causally interacts and the death of which it survives. The book "challenges neuroscientific reductionism" as it argues that properties of minds cannot be fully explained by those of brains.

The authorship of the book is diverse, with authors coming from the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada. The book is interdisciplinary in that the authors also come from various fields of psychology, science studies, and psychical research. Lead author Edward F. Kelly is Professor of Research in the Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I don't understand. If we can't find what connects this moment with ten minutes from now, how can we be so sure about there being or not being a connection between this life and the next?

I don't understand. If we can't find what connects this moment with ten minutes from now, how can we be so sure about there being or not being a connection between this life and the next?

I think that's whole point.

• vinlyn:
    Websites like that are crap. That is not evidence. And if that type of website is evidence, then I'd have to say all the similar websites written by Christians about walking through a long tunnel with light at the end of tunnel...guess that means the Christians got it right, not the Buddhists.
    I thought it would be helpful to you since, I assumed, you really haven't studied the subject seriously. For example, have you studied the research of Ian Stevenson? Just don't read Wikipedia's blurb. Actually read some of his case studies. They are quite astonishing even for rebirth deniers.
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited September 2012
    PrairieGhost:
    When you look for it, that is, the whatness, what do you expect to find? It could be that your presuppositions are blocking the view.
    ^^ Over the years, I don't recall whether I read Stevenson or not, but I have read a couple of books and some articles on the issue.

If you actually read my posts, instead of just wanting to preach to me, you noted that I am not a "rebirth denier". I said quite clearly that I am open-minded about the issue. That a few people have written books or articles about the topic has clearly not settled the issue. I remain open-minded about. I don't KNOW the answer. You don't KNOW the answer.
    MaryAnneTosh
  • Songhill
    When you look for it
    I don't look for it.
  • @vinlyn with all due respect, how can you know that anybody doesn't know the answer?

hahaha.... Damn, on second thought, I can't know that you don't know that. :grumble:
    ^^ Someone may KNOW the answer. But many people THINK THEY KNOW the answer.
  • Kierkegaard said you can't tell the difference between the truly religious and the truly insane (paraphrased of course).

I would guess this would fall under the imponderable category by the Buddha. Course putting words into the Buddha's mouth is also not skillful.

Must leave topic alone...haha
  • vinlyn:
    You don't KNOW the answer.
    By Lincoln's maxim you would be telling a falsehood by saying that I don't know. :cool:
    I reminded you the other day that if you want to be a quoter of Lincoln, be reminded that he frequently talked about how a belief in God was "right".

But if you KNOW the answer, please share with us how you KNOW.
  • Songhill, yes our mind may due weird stuff and may alter reality, but can claim ghosts and gods are real is complete BS because there is lacking of evidence to believe in the supernatural.

• B5C said:

Songhill, yes our mind may due weird stuff and may alter reality, but can claim ghosts and gods are real is complete BS because there is lacking of evidence to believe in the supernatural.

Wait, mind alters reality? Mind only perceives it, reality is what it is and the mind observes it in the way it does...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @ThailandTom, Here's now I would answer that...

It depends on what we're talking about when we say "reality". The mind-made reality changes (let's call this "subjective" reality)... we can have different perspectives. The unenlightened reality has things and beings and suffering, the enlightened reality is empty awareness and knowing these are only conventional and not ultimately the case ("bodhi mind"). The "objective" reality that stands unaltered is emptiness, though it isn't always perceived as emptiness.

And so we all have our own subjective reality, one that can change, even if we all share the same actual reality. I don't think anyone would say that our minds change the objective reality, they only change our subjective reality... how we see things. We normally don't perceive things as they actually are, and that's why we suffer.

Enlightenment is when subjective reality and objective reality are in complete harmony. It's the "I" blending into the "All", and at the same time releasing from it because it's all dependently originated. There's nothing to cling to.

• Wait, mind alters reality? Mind only perceives it, reality is what it is and the mind observes it in the way it does...

I think you need to read the works of Oliver Sacks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

• We create our realities within our minds, but wht
    B5C said:

Wait, mind alters reality? Mind only perceives it, reality is what it is and the mind observes it in the way it does...

I think you need to read the works of Oliver Sacks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

Only when you can pronounce the table to me with an Oriental twang :P

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Have you ever heard of Oliver sacks and do you believe in the supernatural?
  • I absolutely love Ajahn Brahm. I've heard every one of his cruddy jokes and sermons by now hahah. He's the man who got me into Buddhism in the first place. I owe him a lot.
  • B5C said:

Songhill, yes our mind may due weird stuff and may alter reality, but can claim ghosts and gods are real is complete BS because there is lacking of evidence to believe in the supernatural.

Minds do weird stuff. But the funny thing is, it's the only thing you can trust because everything comes through body and mind.
  • B5C:
    From Wikipedia on Poltergeist phenomena:
    "Dr. Friedbert Karger was one of two physicists from the Max Planck Institute who helped to investigate perhaps the most validated poltergeist case in recorded history. Annemarie Schneider, a 19-year-old secretary in a law firm in Rosenheim (a town in southern Germany) was seemingly the unwitting cause of much chaos and controversy in the firm, including disruption of electricity and telephone lines, the rotation of a picture, swinging lamps which were captured on video (which was one of the first times any poltergeist activity has been captured on film), and strange sounds that sounded electrical in origin were recorded. Karger stated that "these experiments were really a challenge to physics" and the disturbances "could be 100 percent shown not to be explainable by known physics." Fraud was not proven despite intensive investigation by the physicists, journalists and the police. The effects moved with the young woman when she changed jobs until they finally faded out, disappeared, and never recurred."
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited September 2012
    The problem with Dr. Friedbert Karger's case he was able to explain, but had no evidence to support his explanation. What we have is an personal experience, but personal experience is not good evidence.

Also an German magician came to the case and found out that he could recreate the "ghost" activity.

"A skeptical magician called Allan also visited the scene, he noticed a piece of nylon string from a used plastic pendulum hanging from the ceiling. So, in the book Allan, Schiff und Kramer: "Falsche Geister - echte Schwindler" the whole case was declared as a hoax. Quite a bold claim considering the big picture of the case. It would have been a miracle if the central character and other members of the staff were not under strict surveillance during the observations and the investigations, even by the police.

The owner of the office sued the books publisher to court because he himself and his staff were accused of a deception. In the end, the court found the staff not guilty and forbid the continuation of the books distribution. The trial reinforced the information gathered from the investigations when it concluded that no one was caught in the act of faking the phenomena."

Skeptics at the James Randi foundations basically killed Karger's case:
    http://forums.randi.org/archive/index.php/t-122348.html
  • B5C said:

The problem with Dr. Friedbert Karger's case he was able to explain, but had no evidence to support his explanation. What we have is an personal experience, but personal experience is not good evidence.

I would add this

"good evidence" for others

It is "good evidence" from a personal perspective.
  • B5C said:

Have you ever heard of Oliver sacks and do you believe in the supernatural?

Yes I have but I heard of the name and that is as far as my knowledge goes. The supernatural, I do not really have much of an opinion, I am simply open minded...
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Personal experience is not good evidence for science. All personal evidence is merely anecdotal evidence.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't think that it's that we don't see things as they really are. I think our very initial observation is usually of reality (for the average person) but that our experience, beliefs, fears, hopes, and everything else puts layer and layers on top of the reality we experienced, and it skews things.

I look out my window, and see a tree moving in the wind. Reality is that-There is a tree, and it's moving because of wind. But based on everything I experience, that's not where I stop. I go on to think "It's windy. Crap. I was hoping to go to the lake today. Dang it, now my plans are ruined. I was really looking forward to my plans. Now I'm disappointed. Stupid wind ruined my day." It's not that I didn't see reality, I just projected a whole lot of other stuff onto it. I have remind myself of this a lot when I'm getting ready to go running. I'm often tempted to look outside and see it's too hot, too cold, raining, snowing and allow my mood to change and then I don't run. instead of just accepting "it's raining, it's neither a good thing, or a bad thing" and going anyhow, I put everything onto the reality of the rain and I change my mood and sometimes my entire day and my interactions with everyone, all because of that observation.
  • B5C said:

Personal Evidence is not good evidence for science. All personal evidence is merely anecdotal evidence.

Personal opinion from a scientist (microbiology): Science is wonderful for describing our physical world, but highly inadequate to begin to understand our personal experience. I think using science to try and understand things that can't be understood objectively (like our personal experience), is a misuse of science. I am always subject to being wrong. Perhaps one day there will be a science of the subjective.
    DaftChris
    B5C said:

Personal experience is not good evidence for science. All personal evidence is merely anecdotal evidence.

You make a good point, but you go too far in terms of this thread.

I am skeptical of rebirth and/or reincarnation, and all in that realm. But I also have an open mind.

But the important point is that different people have different thresholds for what is "evidence" of such matters.

Scientific-level proof is at best inconclusive, if not sorely lacking. But that doesn't necessarily mean "it" isn't true.

Personal-level proof (for wont of a better term) is an individual standard. For me it has not yet been met, for others it has.

• vinlyn said:

Scientific-level proof is at best inconclusive, if not sorely lacking. But that doesn't necessarily mean "it" isn't true.

Personal-level proof (for wont of a better term) is an individual standard. For me it has not yet been met, for others it has.

Well stated. :thumbsup:
  • Is the thought of carrying on but not being 'me' harder to contemplate than the idea of dying?