Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm am new and have questions

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,
I hope it works this time :o
I been studying buddhism from books and etc. But haven't take the next step of going to a temple or such.
There is a buddhist monk on staff at my work as part of spiritual staff for the hospital.
But I lack the courage to speak to him for fear of saying or doing the wrong thing.
You see I'm a hard-of-hearing person and some voices I am not able to hear plus for some people I'm hard to understand when I talk.
But would it be alright to say I'm studying Buddhism and would like to learn more about it be see if I wanted to be part of a way of life.
I would be most thankful for any help you can give to me.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    You'll find that, because of the nature of buddhism, monks are generally very easygoing. They want to help you and they will work hard to alleviate any discomfort you may have. I think speaking to the monk would be a great idea. And to say you are interested in studying buddhism is the perfect approach.

You also have us :) We can help you with anything you need. Welcome to our community! :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Welcome dee60! I too have a hearing problem; it's in my left ear, it's due to a serious infection I had as a young woman, and it appears to be slowly degenerative, so I can truly sympathise!
    But I'm delighted to second what Brian has said. Buddhists are among the friendliest folks on Earth, so go right in, take a deep breath, and tell him just what you've told us! And come back here any time if you want anything clarified, or a different slant on things.... look forward to seeing a whole lot more of you! :)
  • edited May 2005
    dee60 wrote:
    Hi,
    I hope it works this time :o
    I been studying buddhism from books and etc. But haven't take the next step of going to a temple or such.
    There is a buddhist monk on staff at my work as part of spiritual staff for the hospital.
    But I lack the courage to speak to him for fear of saying or doing the wrong thing.
    You see I'm a hard-of-hearing person and some voices I am not able to hear plus for some people I'm hard to understand when I talk.
    But would it be alright to say I'm studying Buddhism and would like to learn more about it be see if I wanted to be part of a way of life.
    I would be most thankful for any help you can give to me.

Hello Dee60,

Welcome to the site! I am relatively new myself but I have found some great advice and answers to my questions here. Everyone is friendly and helpful. What Brian and Federica said is true. I have yet to meet a Buddhist that was not helpful and patient.

Adiana :bigclap: :bigclap: :):)
  • edited May 2005
    Thank you for your advice and kind words Brian, Federica and Adiana.
    Now I need to work on the courage to speak to the monk.
    I really don't speak to people very often...it's not necessary for my job and when I'm home my 2 teenage daughters do enough speaking for the whole condo building that we live in! LOL :p
  • edited May 2005
    Dee:

I too am new to Buddhism. (I have been investigating it for a little while now.)

I have been made to feel very welcome here and each question I have had-(There have been many and will probably be many more)-has been answered with kindness & compassion.

Welcome!

Flyte534
  • edited May 2005
    Don't be intimidated by the monk at work. He is no better than you. The Buddha himself was no better than you.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I spent near on two years (investigating and learning about Buddhism) before I managed to get to a temple and listen to what was being said. In my mind I'm committed to the ideas and concepts-so I guess that makes me no more or no less than every other Buddhist on the planet-and YOU may wish to think the same thing.

An interesting thing to note is that the Buddha leaned towards the concept of "Beginner's Mind" a time where we learn the most because it is new. So welcome to our sangha (community).

Don't feel pressured to go anywhere or see anyone to "prove" you're a Buddhist-Take your time.

You can find a good book called "Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism" by Gary Gach, I found it quite good.

Probably the best book I found is "What Buddhist's Believe", this you can download for free at www.buddhanet.net in the e-books section.
  • edited November 2005
    Welcome to the site! Im new to Buddhism too and I have been studying it for quite some time now. I think that it would be a good idea to talk to the monk so you can learn more and who knows maybe if you become a Buddhist it could change your life.
  • edited November 2005
    dee60 wrote:
    Hi,

Dee, I'd second (or fourth or whatever) the advice you've been given, just tell the monk you're hard of hearing but are interested in Buddhist practice, then let it unfold from there. We don't bite, well not most of the time and sometimes we're even friendly.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Unfortunately, dee60 posted back in May..... so we never did find out if they spoke to the Monk..... :(