Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"High Holiday" observances for Jewish Buddhists

I have heard the term "JuBu" before to describe Jewish Buddhists. Apparently, there are many (of us). The practice of Buddhism doesn't really interfere with the practice of Judaism, especially when the Judaism is not orthodox, or very traditional. Certain types of Judaism can integrate well with Buddhism, especially when the Buddhism is also somewhat non-theistic, or philosophical. I have started to practice Soto Buddhism, but I was raised Jewish. I am looking at different synagogues, such as reform and "Reconstructionist" for our family. One synogogue even has a weekly meditation group (yay!) Not only do I think I can feel at home in a more philosophical, and less traditional Jewish environment, but I also think I will feel better about teaching my children in a less "literal" interpretation of things.

My spouse was raised more traditionally, and would probably want a more traditional environment... but is willing to be a bit more flexible if makes me less conflicted. I have always been conflicted about religious practice- as I am not a strong believer in any one God apart from ourselves and never have been. My beliefs have been fairly consistent, and very difficult to describe, but the concepts of one-ness and nothingness as I understand them are as close to my own personal "religion" as I have heard described.

I am not yet sure how I will feel going back to temple for the "high holidays". I have greatly deepened my Buddhist practice over the past year. I was already conflicted in temple on the high-holidays my whole life- especially for Yom Kippur. I try to escape a specific prayer called the Vidduy. I am really very curious if there are any semi-observant Jews that went through this, how they felt, and how they dealt with going (or not going) to synagogue. Do you pray as Jews, and think as Buddhists? Do you not go? Do you go to feel a sense of community, and in support of your families, because it is the compassionate thing to do for parents and extended family, but do not speak the prayers? This was going to be my plan.

I am *very* curious how the two practices are reconciled, since I have heard there are many people who balance their Jewish family traditions and rites along with a Buddhist philosophy and Buddhist practice.

Thanks, and Shana Tova... (Happy New Year), and moreover, happy this moment ;-)

PS, I am not looking to "compare" Judaism & Buddhism, and that is why this was not posted in that category. I am looking to integrate the habits of both, which is why I posted it in Diet & Habits. Of course, it is ultimately up to the moderators to put it they feel appropriate. Thank you.

Comments

• Sounds like a situation one could really over complicate.

Sorry I can't help with any insight about Judaism/Buddhism together.

All I know is that love is love, honesty is honesty, compassion is compassion, wisdom is wisdom, and if you are truly utilizing one you are utilizing them all in that particular moment.

Application of spiritual principles is true practice.

If some of the prayers and other things, going to syagogues makes you uncomfortable then perhaps you shouldn't go. Investigate why you are uncomfortable though.

Follow your heart.
  • @OneLifeForm- thank you for replying. I understand this could seem over-complicated, because it's outside your experience. I am looking for others who have been there, done that, and could share their insight. For those who have years of rich family traditions and history that they don't want to throw away, but rather adapt to work with their own Buddhist view, this question will certainly resonate. I know there have been books written on this very subject, but I wanted to possibly start a dialogue, and hear more than one voice on the topic...

I do appreciate that you posted warm words, and general encouragement! I may be able to relate some of this. I don't know your religious background, but I think Catholics may relate to the idea of "sin" being not-exactly-Buddhist, and Buddhist with a Catholic background may not find conflict with the practice of going to confession. They would probably rather meditate, cultivate wisdom about their past behaviors, and do better next time. The Jewish practice of Yom Kippur is something of a communal, all day confession, that includes a sunset-to-sunset fast. It's also, somehow, almost always beautiful out ;-). I have observed this yearly ritual since I was 13, but I don't feel the spiritual "cleanliness" that it is supposed to deliver. I also don't feel particularly "guilty" about the "sins" I have committed. I just hope to do better.

Throughout Judaism, there are wonderful festive meals and beautiful traditions. I don't feel the temple prayers are, or ever have been, authentic for me, but many of these hoping to hear from other Jews who have embraced the ideas and practices of Buddhism but manage to retain their role in their Jewish communities, without feeling somehow inauthentic.

If I was single, without children, or lived 2000 miles from my family, this would be a straight-forward decision. But we all go to temple together, as a family- with my parents, our brothers and sisters, their kids, our kids... and we have done so for a very long time. We come from a long line, there is history. We have family who died for our freedom to do this. My not going will disappoint my family. Respectfully, and with real gratitude, I think the advice to "follow your heart" is simplistic. To paraphrase what Albert Einstein said, "Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Thanks again for your reply. :-)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Soto Buddhism? You mean Soto Zen Buddhism? It's really Zen. :D

I wouldn't particularly use the word "nothingness"... what you mean is "emptiness", and even then it doesn't mean there's nothing, only that reality is empty of inherent things/beings, which are interconnected constructs and mistaken as true objects or selves (when in fact this is just an "appearance", like a mirage). Reality is ever-changing, the emptiness flows on like a Great Ocean, and we suffer from clinging to appearances... even from clinging to ourselves, thinking we're something separate.

Many Buddhists prefer "Mind" to "Emptiness", but we're to understand it as also selfless... it's not God.

Their meanings can both be mistaken, but nothingness even more so. :)
  • @Cloud - yes & YES.

Soto Zen, and emptiness. Thank you! That is what I meant.

Any thoughts to my conundrum?
  • Also @cloud- holidays start tomorrow. Rosh Hashana isn't so bad, but in a week I have Yom Kippur services... any advice? I'm not allowed to bring my cushion with me into the synagogue ;-)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    About praying and the synagogue? This I don't know, I'm not Jewish. I'm more a Buddhist Christian Philosopher (really I'm not religious, I'm spiritual). Probably not the best to help you with that particular situation. :)

One more thing though... you don't really need a cushion to meditate, you can do it sitting in a chair or a pew or whatever with your feet flat on the ground and your hands in your lap (or whatever). Don't think that just because you can't take your cushion somewhere you can't meditate!
  • @cloud: true. I have been finding something I read from Pema Chodron about leaning into things that make you uncomfortable useful. I think I am going to avoid saying prayers I don't want to say aloud, but give a go at being there and "leaning into" the experience.
    Cloud
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I'm a Jewish Buddhist! Lol!
  • @LeonBasin: First, Shana Tova! Second... HELP? Do you go to temple? What are your thoughts on all this?
    (I thought there would be a lot more of us on here!!)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    cwexl said:

@LeonBasin: First, Shana Tova! Second... HELP? Do you go to temple? What are your thoughts on all this?
    (I thought there would be a lot more of us on here!!)

Shana Tova to you too! I used to go when I was a child, but I stopped as I didn't feel anything when I did. However, I have been going to Zen Temple in my area. (San Jose,CA). Can you be a bit more specific in your question about, (Thoughts on all this part).
  • The JewBu's I know aren't "religious" Jews, they're ethnic Jews. I'm not Jewish, but I've been Buddhist all my life, and I've been invited to Jewish services by friends now and then. I consider it an honor to be invited, and I attend as a guest, not as a believer, obviously. But I look for universalities in Buddhism and other traditions, respect those, and let myself be inspired by whatever message is being given at the time. Maybe if you could participate from a more detached perspective, if that makes any sense...? The Dalai Lama said all religions are after the same thing, they just teach it different ways and worship in different forms, due to differences in culture. But underneath, we're all humans trying to make a decent life and realize the best in ourselves, morally and spiritually.

I hope this helps in some way.
  • @Dakini- Yes. That does help. I was able to go to RH services and was a bit more detached. I think because my whole family were all together, I just focused on all the children, and other things going on. I appreciate your post, as it will come into play on YK services next week... even though part of me wants to stick a copy of the Dhammapada in my Makzor (prayer book for the high holidays).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's like Buddhists with Christians and Christmas.... Be in it, but not of it. :D
    jessie70