Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just ducky

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited June 2006 in General Banter
A pair of ducks, a male and a female have taken up residence in our pool! They have been here for 4 days so far. I put out bird seed which they eat while we're 10 feet away on the lawn. They sleep on the deck, and have lots of fun bathing. Today we had another male visit for a while.

We also have a lot of rabbits this year, front yard and back yard.

::

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Oh, they're sweet! It's funny to be reading this today because I've been hearing the same thing from other people recently.
  • edited June 2006
    I love ducks. Your new pets are very cute. How nice of you to feed them. :)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Here's another pic. They like to nap by the pool. The life of a duck!
  • edited June 2006
    It should be expected, we have interferred with they're environment as a species for years now. The least we can do is share.:grin:
  • edited June 2006
    Exactly, Iawa! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    That's a male and a female. Maybe they're in love and on their honeymoon! lol! Talk about anthropomorphisation. (I have no idea how to spell that.)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Ducks give us a good lesson in not judging a bird by its feathers: they are the only species of domestic and semi-domestic fowls which will attempt cross-species sex and males have been known to 'gang bang' females to death. So like humans!
  • edited June 2006
    Along the exit ramp leading into the village in which I live, there has been a female Canadian goose. She stands in the same spot everyday, most of the day, right along the curb! Whenever I ride along the ramp, there she sits as if waiting for Mr. Right!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    It's hard to tell if the same ones keep returning, but one of the couples is very tame around us. The boys are easy to tell from the girls, but other than that, they all look alike!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    My g/f was up and about early this morning. Got a picture of this little feller.

Is this a duck?

-bf
    bug.jpg 47.1K
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    We get lots of dragonflys too.
  • edited June 2006
    BF - you need a class in entomology.

Does anyone remember my story last year about our Praying Mantis in our herb garden? Well, now we have her teeny tiny little babies in our garden this year and they are SO cute! We also are seeing the babies form the spider egg cases that were in our garden last year at the end of the year. I love nature!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    BF,

That photo is beautiful! What a gorgeous creature!! I adore dragonflies. And praying mantis, too, Yogamama.
    edited June 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    BF,

That photo is beautiful! What a gorgeous creature!! I adore dragonflies. And praying mantis, too, Yogamama.

Thank you for those kind words, Brigid.

Yoda just made fun of me and said mean words, as usual.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    LOL!!!
    edited June 2006
    -bf
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    My g/f was up and about early this morning. Got a picture of this little feller.

Is this a duck?

-bf

It might not be a duck, but both are good photos! Thanks!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    BF - you need a class in entomology.

Does anyone remember my story last year about our Praying Mantis in our herb garden? Well, now we have her teeny tiny little babies in our garden this year and they are SO cute! We also are seeing the babies form the spider egg cases that were in our garden last year at the end of the year. I love nature!

Hmmm, not to be a wet blanket, but have you ever seen a Praying Mantis in action hunting its prey? I'm sure the prey doesn't think they're so cute! In fact, they're just as vicious a predator as a Great White Shark on its scale. Think about that next time you see them! Life is suffering...

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    WOW!!! BF, that's incredible!!

What kind of camera do you have?
    edited June 2006
    I think it's a Canon - digital nonetheless. I spent more money and got one that had a good optical zoom versus the crappy digital zoom.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Palzang wrote:

Hmmm, not to be a wet blanket, but have you ever seen a Praying Mantis in action hunting its prey? I'm sure the prey doesn't think they're so cute! In fact, they're just as vicious a predator as a Great White Shark on its scale. Think about that next time you see them! Life is suffering...

Palzang

Oh yes, I know exactly what kind of creature they are! But....they are doing what needs to be done for their survival. I think all creatures are "cute"...even great white sharks! :)
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

Yoda just made fun of me and said mean words, as usual.

-bf

Awwwwwww...do you need a hug?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I think it's a Canon - digital nonetheless. I spent more money and got one that had a good optical zoom versus the crappy digital zoom.

-bf

That was a good call because those pics are pro. quality.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Oh yes, I know exactly what kind of creature they are! But....they are doing what needs to be done for their survival. I think all creatures are "cute"...even great white sharks! :)
    how bout roaches and mosquitos?they are my favorite target for my buddha's palm and buddha stomp practice
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I just read an interview with the Dalai Lama and he was talking about mosquitoes:
    Interviewer: You have great love for animals. I see a lot of cats here. You've talked of how animals are capable of kindness and love, and you've said somewhere that kindness is superior to faith.

HHDL: I think animals demonstrate that most clearly. They have no faith, but if you treat them very sincerely, without trickery, if you're giving them food because you want to catch them, oh, they know. But if you are sincere, if you show them genuine friendship, they really respond. Except for some small animals, like insects, I really wonder whether mosquitoes have that capacity. When they are not the malaria-carrying kind, I sometimes give them my blood.

Interviewer: You let them bite you?

HHDL: If I am in a good mood. If I'm not in a good mood...

Interviewer: Then no mosquito will dare come near to wag its tail at you ( both laugh ).

HHDL: If I give them my blood peacefully, they just sit. I don't know if they have the capacity for appreciation or closeness. But, otherwise, most animals have that.

Date: Jun 13, 2006 6:06 PM
    Subject: Interview with His Holiness the Dalai Lama
    The Indian Express[Saturday, October 29, 2005 23:02]
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Awwwwwww...do you need a hug?

Sure!

As long as it involves a lot of exotic oils and lotions.

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    That was a good call because those pics are pro. quality.

I agree, those are high quality pics. Here is a link to a member's photography over at E-Sangha. There's a lot of good pics.

Enjoy!

_/\_
    metta
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Sure!

As long as it involves a lot of exotic oils and lotions.

-bf

What a perv.
    edited June 2006
    I took these last year thinking I might use them as the basis for some watercolor paintings.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    Gorgeous! I have that same last plant hanging in my backyard, next to our patio door. :)
    edited June 2006
    Impatiens...

Me likey.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    I will have to take a picture of our backyard right now. 18 tomatoes plants with blossoms on them, 8 HUGE sunflowers, morning glory's, marigold's, irises, and tons and tons of various wild flowers planted in different areas. Our backyard is full of life! I love Summer.
    edited June 2006
    I love morning glory's - but it seems like it's hard for them to grow out here.

But I remember being a kid and my mother planting morning glorys on the side of the house and them basically taking ths side of the house over.

My backyard is completely barren this year :(

-bf
    edited June 2006
    Working on it... but we do have a little salsa garden growing...

-bf
    by1.jpg 253.7K
    by2.jpg 856.5K
  • edited June 2006
    Dude, what's up with your yard?? Where is the grass?

Just teasing! Your little garden is cute! What are you growing? What do you do with that big kettle? That's cool.
    edited June 2006
    I'm putting it in, silly.

I just bought a house last fall after years of dealing with divorce debt. Very nasty stuff that I don't like thinking about.

Anyway, there is more area that I need to set up for tomatos, herbs, peppers, zuchs (I don't know why we need zuch's...), and onions.

The big, ole pot is a fire pit. When the grass is in, you can take your drink over by the pit on a cool night and you won't get so chilly. Plus, my son and some neices and nephews use it to make s'mores.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    You need zuch's because they are tasty and healthy, and I can tell you how to make hummus with them. :)

Cool fire pit - I love it. I think I need one of those. I would even sit by it when it was hot outside since I am so freakin cold all the time! I figured you were putting your grass in...I was just teasing you. :)
    edited June 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    ...I was just teasing you. :)

I know. :)

I hate zuch's... my mother went on a huge zuchinni tirade when I was a kid. Now I hate them just out of principle.

The firepits are fun. Nice for talks and hanging out when it's dark at night. Guests love them - kids love them.

Do yourself a favor and go get one :)

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    I will have my hubby take some good pictures of our flowers this weekend and post them for you to see.

I'll see what I can do about getting a firepit. We are almost out of room in our backyard right now, though.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Oh, man!! A landscaper's dream! Starting from pure scratch. I can already see three or four totally different things you could do with a space like that and I'm not even a landscaper.

Beautiful fence. What kind of wood is that? It looks like it smells good. Looks like the deck is the same kind of wood and I love the terra cotta sun hanging on the fence. The oranges in it and in the fence are perfect together. The pic on the previous page of the yellow begonias was really beautiful. They come in the most perfect colour of ice orange, too. That one's my favourite. It's stunning and would be gorgeous with that wood.

Are you putting in trees? Oh, yes, I see one there already. Are you going to have to bring in soil? I can't tell from the pic.

What fun! Lots of space to plan all sorts of cool stuff. You could build your boy a playhouse back there. What's that thing running around the edge? Is it a border of some kind or something? Do you think I could ask more questions? lol!

Give us periodic picture updates, BF, so we can see the gradual transformation.

Oh, I almost forgot.

Not1,

I didn't see any link for those photos. Am I crazy?
    edited June 2006
    I am having fun with it! :)

I've got a tree I just put in in the front yard. A Japanese maple in the back. The thin tree in the picture is a golden chain tree. I've got ferns, bleeding hearts, sunflowers, begonias, petunias, lots of different grasses - all kinds of stuff going in.

In fact, I'm trying to figure out a way to put bamboo around the deck. If I can't figure that out, I'm going to plant some clumps of very bamboo like grasses around the deck.

The border you see is just that. A border for the bark beds and plantings. I used to do cedar boards (that you cut a whole bunch of slices in and then soak) so you could bend them however you wished - but that is too much work and requires you to re-do them after some years. So, this is a concrete border that should last for a good 75 years.

I will keep ya posted.

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Not1,

I didn't see any link for those photos. Am I crazy?

Nope, you're not crazy. Here it is:
    http://www.1heart.us/gallery/v/Carlotta/

Sorry 'boot that, eh.

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    LOL!!!
    Don't worry aboot it, buddy!

BF,

I love bleeding hearts! I never see enough of them. They're so beautiful. I've never heard of a golden chain tree before, but Japanese maples are beauties. Love the bamboo idea. Anywhere you can incorporate it is always good IMHO. There's something about it that makes a place peaceful.

OMG!! Not1!!! I just saw those pics! They're incredible!! I just saw a double rainbow yesterday. And that forest! It's my ultimate fantasy. I can't figure out what that is in the "Close up" pic. I just clicked on it and it says "World in a dew drop". Is it really?!!??? And there's another one called "In the Grove" that's so beautiful. If I had ever gotten married that's where I would have liked to have the wedding.

These are awesome! Thanks for posting the link. Does he sell prints or anything?
    Oh, he's got a close ups of bleeding hearts! lol! I'm going to be here all day now.
    edited June 2006
    Although mine is nowhere near this large... it's a start...

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Nope, you're not crazy. Here it is:
    http://www.1heart.us/gallery/v/Carlotta/

Sorry 'boot that, eh.

_/\_
    metta

Nice photography, <>1<>2!

The dewdrop photo is now my wallpaper.

edited June 2006
    Mag...

Oh no you di'i'nt!

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    cool
    edited June 2006
    -bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2006
    oh man, I have lots of SW stuff in the basement....should start a museum. My favorite is the 70's iron-on T-shirt transfers. Very groovy.
    edited June 2006
    Why? So everyone will know what utter Uber-Dorks we are?

-bf