Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Calling All British Forum members:

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
I cannot, for love nor money, find any Mung bean STARCH.
I don't want noodles, I don't want Mung beans - I need the starch.
It feels like cornflour or cornstarch... that kinda squeaky feel... Normally, I buy this brand pictured, but my on-line supplier has been out of stock for some time now, and they have no thoughts of ordering more due to low demand(!!)
I don't have an asian shop for miles, but one I managed to visit yesterday, didn't have any either - what is it - a world shortage - ?!

Any brand of Mung Bean starch will do though- and actually, if any other NB buddy can help - that would be great!!

Comments

• Try www.melburyandappleton.co.uk > ...Home Baking > Flour
    federica.
  • Here is a recipe for making your own from scratch.
    www.christensenka.squarespace.com/...homemade-mung-bean-flour-glut
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Citta said:

Try www.melburyandappleton.co.uk > ...Home Baking > Flour
    federica.

That is my supplier. They have been out of stock for around 4 months now.
    If you look at the product, it still says "out of stock".

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Citta said:

Here is a recipe for making your own from scratch.
    www.christensenka.squarespace.com/...homemade-mung-bean-flour-glut

And here's the message on the page:
    Page Not Found

The page /...homemade-mung-bean-flour-glut could not be located on this website.
    edited September 2012
    I found it.
    But it's not what I want....I don't want the 'flour' I want the bean STARCH.
  • Everywhere seems out of stock , is this any use
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8369059_extract-starch-mung-bean.html
  • That is a Thai brand which you probably knew anyway I am guessing Federica. Why do you need the starch so badly anyway if you don't mind me asking?
    I make my own slab noodles for a particular recipe. The thin thread noodles are no good - you need 'chunk-"noodles".... I've used both tapioca flour (gives a really mushy 'noodle' too pappy) and potato starch - powdery and quite unsuitable.
    carolann said:

Everywhere seems out of stock , is this any use
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8369059_extract-starch-mung-bean.html

Thanks for that - but it seems extremely laborious - probably why buying commercial produce is so much more cost- and labour-effective!

here's the recipe I use the bean-starch for:
    They're utterly lush!
  • The company that makes your brand may be having issues - it appears on other sites marked 'out of stock'.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you... best bet would probably be to hit as many ethnic / health food shops as you can - London chinatown usually has everything if nothing else works.
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I noticed that , @Zero....
    Thank you......I think a trip to London may be my only option... but it's an expensive option and way of going about it. Still, if that's all that I can do... Unless @ThailandTom can send me some....
  • carolanncarolann Explorer
    edited September 2012
    edited September 2012
    Actually, it's perfect. The problem with that is - they want a minimum order total of £30.00.....!

And much as I DO want that flour - (and I do believe the name is misleading! :crazy: ) I can't afford to place an order for that amount right now!
  • Awwww what a shame , I did nt check conditions , sorry ....
  • I think bean flour IS bean starch federica...
    edited September 2012
    @carolann:
    Neither did I - I just pounced on it - and they said - "Sorry, but your order is below our minimum requirement of £30.00".

You know what though?
    I bet you anything you like that even if I did order it, they'd tell me the item was out of stock.... :D
    carolann
    Citta said:

I think bean flour IS bean starch federica...

Yes, but the problem is, you can also buy "Mung bean flour". Which is simply ground mung beans... rather like wheatflour is ground wheat grains...

• Maybe we could open a federica fund and all send you a donation lol ....
  • federica said:

Citta said:

I think bean flour IS bean starch federica...

Yes, but the problem is, you can also buy "Mung bean flour". Which is simply ground mung beans... rather like wheatflour is ground wheat grains...

Oh ok...If my IT skills were better I could link you to the recipe for making your own...but alas...
    I have a recipe.... I think it involves a lot of grinding, soaking, straining and squeezing. (I sound like a sex video!! :lol: )

If that's the recipe I'm thinking of....

You're all being wonderfully supportive, I'm so grateful, guys.... :)
    carolann said:

Maybe we could open a federica fund and all send you a donation lol ....

That's the best idea I've seen all day....! :D

• federica said:

I have a recipe.... I think it involves a lot of grinding, soaking, straining and squeezing. (I sound like a sex video!! :lol: )

If that's the recipe I'm thinking of....

You're all being wonderfully supportive, I'm so grateful, guys.... :)

Yes it does sound fun...but what about your mung starch ?

What.... as a food or a sex aid....?

Don't answer that.

PLEASE!!

:D
  • Nourishing and slimming at the same time. Whats not to like ?
    OneLifeForm
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2012
    haha I found a supplier, but the minimum order is 5 metric tons. I am guessing that will be out of your price range too! :(

This place will ship internationally... but that might be as expensive as going to London.

http://grocerythai.com/mung-bean-starch-p-145.html
    5 metric tons is a lot... it would take me at least three days to get through that lot..... :D

Thank you so much for trying for me... it's possible a solution has been found. It juast remains to be seen whether the item is indeed, in stock.....

Will keep you all posted, thanks so much to all who offered support.
    And sorry about the sex thing......! :lol:
  • I'm going to have to post a youtube of naked 'mud' wrestling in a vat of mung-bean starch :crazy:

Hope your search triumphs!
    Is that the one with 17million hits, or the one with two grannies, which has only had 3?
    RebeccaS
  • Midget grannies FTW
    "FTW"....
    "For the Win?
    "For those wondering"....?
    (I'm not going to post the third definition I found.... That's just wooooode. )
    OK guys - I found a supply and got me some mung-bean starch:
    And here, for your delectation and delight, is the resulting dish!!
    carolannZero