Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation

This might be a 'stupid' question, but how imperative is reincarnation to Buddhism?

I like Buddhism, and most of what it teaches makes sense to me. But the whole 'there is some cosmic force that weighs your karma and decides what kind of life you'll have next' seems a lot like the Christian God to me - it just isn't given a name or a form. Are there a lot of Buddhists that don't really pay much attention to the whole rebirth and karma aspect of it? It doesn't seem like there are many Christians I've met who buy everything up until the heaven/hell/God part, just to contrast.

Is it explained in any Buddhist texts how exactly karma is weighed, and 'who' decides?
vinlyn

Comments

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    No idea :lol: I think things just have natural consequences and I personally tend to think of it in terms of physics

"In physics, a force is any influence that causes an object to undergo a certain change, either concerning its movement, direction, or geometrical construction. It is measured with the SI unit of newtons and represented by the symbol F. In other words, a force is that which can cause an object with mass to change its velocity (which includes to begin moving from a state of rest), i.e., to accelerate, or which can cause a flexible object to deform. Force can also be described by intuitive concepts such as a push or pull. A force has both magnitude and direction, making it a vector quantity.
    The original form of Newton's second law states that the net force acting upon an object is equal to the rate at which its momentum changes.[1] This law is further given to mean that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object, is in the direction of the net force, and is inversely proportional the mass of the object." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force

The consequence (acceleration or momentum) is equal to the action (or force) that "pushed" it.

I think it's an autonomous consequence, rather than one that is weighed by anything else. Of course, in reality it might be nothing like that :lol: but I personally find it a useful way of looking at it.
    person
  • amandathetexan:

Being a beginner is not easy. I am guessing that there is a lot that you don't know or understand about Buddhism. On that note, it pays to be open-minded and safeguard the notions of karma and rebirth as the Buddha taught them.

Another point, reincarnation/rebirth have nothing to do with a god. Key to understanding karma and rebirth is consciousness which Western science knows nothing about since it only relies on third-person data. Here are some words by the Buddha that may help.

"[W]hen the life of a sentient being comes to an end, his body, consciousness, sense-organs, and sense -objects will all disperse because the power of karma is exhausted. The consciousness will then become the only reliance [of the ethereal mind-body complex] and will contact various objects, make up [all sorts] of notions about them, and be reincarnated, together with the good and evil karmas, to undergo other karmic results" (Maharatnakuta Sutra).
    JeffreySilouan
  • This might be a 'stupid' question, but how imperative is reincarnation to Buddhism?

I like Buddhism, and most of what it teaches makes sense to me. But the whole 'there is some cosmic force that weighs your karma and decides what kind of life you'll have next' seems a lot like the Christian God to me - it just isn't given a name or a form. Are there a lot of Buddhists that don't really pay much attention to the whole rebirth and karma aspect of it? It doesn't seem like there are many Christians I've met who buy everything up until the heaven/hell/God part, just to contrast.

Is it explained in any Buddhist texts how exactly karma is weighed, and 'who' decides?

There is no "who", doing anything. Just as there is no "who" causing earthquakes or volcanoes. The workings of karma are to be understood from a perspective of non-self, which is to say impersonal. From the perspective of what you generally consider to be who you are, this body, this mind, these actions, then it would seem like judgement and similar to a christian god.

However, if you are not this body, this mind, etc, then karma isn't acting on "You", its just doing its thing: just like the clouds dropping rain. When it rains, you don't think there is somebody making it rain on you ( taking it personally). When karma (actions) happen, it is to be understood impersonally.

@RebeccaS I think that looking at it from that perspective does help :)
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @amandathetexan, bear in mind also that some Buddhist schools make a very definite distinction between reincarnation and rebirth. To be pedantic, if you will, reincarnation is something Tibetan Buddhists prescribe to, as Lamas are seen to be reborn as Tulkus, who are people, humans, personalities with characters, in their own right, but who have inherited the recognisable qualities, characteristics and virtues of the deceased lama. But this is just for those elevated lamas who have accumulated much merit... such as HH the DL, to give the best-known example. Hoi Poloi (that's you and me and the grocer) are destined to experience rebirth.
    amandathetexantmottes
  • Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm VERY much a beginner here and know my western perspective is an obstacle to understanding the underlying meanings :)

I guess my problem comes with the 'who,' but I didn't write it well initially. In science, forces and motion are easily measurable. There's a formula, and it works. The 'who' isn't necessarily a who (in this case physics would be the 'who'), so I guess 'what' might be better. There isn't anyone actually approving the vectors and declaring "Yes, this item will move 2 meters!" but rather laws of physics determine whether or not it will. Positive and negative karma aren't exactly black and white, and even if it were, you could say that doing X brings good karma, but how much good karma, etc.

In everyday life, I understand how it generally works, but when it's brought over to the rebirth side of things, I don't get how that carries over. If I'm not being mindful and don't live deliberately and in the moment, I'll end up suffering the consequences of that. The difference, at least for my understanding, is that I can see the lines. If I don't do my homework, I see the line that connects that to my not understanding a topic or not getting a good grade. If I don't eat well, my body has no other choice than to adapt to whatever diet I'm feeding it and will be unhealthy.

In my philosophy class, the professor was kind of picking at Buddhism that it's crazy to think your next life is determined on your behavior, that morals in this life are weighed by some cosmic force and affect the next, but that it can be likened to most major religions (ie a god decides, you are placed into heaven or hell, etc).

I buy into the Buddhist lifestyle even without feeling the need to believe concretely that rebirth based on karma happens, but is this uncommon?

• I do not believe in reincarnation and I saw that as a potential stumbling block too. However there are plenty of discussions around the topic if you search Google. Many Buddhists don't believe either.

One argument was made that Buddha encouraged people not to believe what he told them unless they could experience it for themselves, not to take his word for it. If you have not experienced reincarnation then how can u know of and believe in its existence.

The ideas of karma reach beyond this lifetime but I don't think it is fundamental to believe or not believe in anything with Buddhism, just to be open minded and follow the precepts.
    amandathetexan
  • Is rebirth as animals a Buddhist thing or a Hindu thing? Or both?
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @amandathetexan karma requires you to understand the whole of what happened before now to calculate karma. This is too much for the human brain. At least that is how I view it. Another way to look at it may be from the perspective of genetics. We know that as an individual human the way we live our lives can have an effect on our genetic code. Our future births, our children, could be impacted positively or negatively, but that is just one take on it. On another side, if you are angry, your children learn to be angry from you; so you are passing on that karma to your future births. It can be viewed from a number of manners aside from individual rebirth. I don't think that this is the way that the buddha intended it... but it doesn't make it any less true.

Just a few thoughts on the issue. Obviously my little brain can't understand all the possible inputs and outputs of the universe.

person
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

This might be a 'stupid' question, but how imperative is reincarnation to Buddhism?

At the beginning, not too imperative I'd say. Looking through the Pali Canon, for example, the Buddha rarely started with such topics when new people came to see him for teachings. First, he'd give teachings about things like generosity and basic morality (i.e., the five precepts), and then move on to more refined topics like kamma, meditation, the four noble truths, dependent co-arising, etc.

As for the rest, kamma is best understood as a causal process whereby immaterial causes (skillful ad unskillful intentions) produce effects, where actions condition potential experiences (predominately in the form of pleasant, painful, both pleasant and painful, or neutral feelings). The basic premise is that there's a cause and effect relationship between our actions and how they're experienced. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it, "It's simply the fact of action—you do something unskillful, it's going to come back in an unpleasant way." In the same way, if you do something skillful, it's going to come back and be experienced in a pleasant way."

And whether or not one takes the teachings on rebirth literally, and regardless of what science has to say about the matter of the possibility of life after death, I think that Buddhism can still be a beneficial path because its morality and methodology of practice are independent of these things. At its core, Buddhism is a contemplative practice; and Buddhist meditation practices have benefits that even secular neuroscientists can appreciate.

(Also, you can fins more of my thoughts about kamma and rebirth here and here, if you're interested.)
    Cittaamandathetexanseeker242
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I consider myself an agnostic when it comes to the topic of rebirth ie. I don't know and probably never will.

To be honest with you, I am not sure how people can be any other way? That is not meant as a criticism as I respect everyone has a right to believe what they like. Perhaps they have experienced things I am yet to?
    amandathetexanjessie70
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Bunks said:

I consider myself an agnostic when it comes to the topic of rebirth ie. I don't know and probably never will.

To be honest with you, I am not sure how people can be any other way? That is not meant as a criticism as I respect everyone has a right to believe what they like. Perhaps they have experienced things I am yet to?

I'm agnostic on the issue of postmortem rebirth myself since I've no experience as far as things like past-life memories are concerned; but I'm a firm believer in moment-to-moment rebirth, which is readily observable in the here and now. As such, I'm open to the possibility that this process doesn't necessarily cease at death.
    amandathetexankarastiBunks
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    An old Chinese man was dying, when a Chan priest came to his deathbed. The man sighed as he saw the priest, said 'what do you want? You have nothing to teach me. I came here alone and I will leave alone'.

The priest smiled and said softly,

'let me show you the path beyond coming and going'.

The man sighed again, as his body relaxed for the last time.
  • Sometimes I look at my cats living their lives of bliss, free from fear and uncertainty while they share the love that fills their home and wonder what they did in their past lives to deserve such an existence.

I see the idea of rebirth more as a continuing series of changes that occur in a single "lifetime" and the different realms (such as that of the hungry ghost) are part of the human experience.

When I first met my wife of twenty years (so far) we discussed reincarnation and she said she thought that we keep coming back until we get it right. I think she might have something there but the mechanics of it are beyond any scope of my understanding.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Bunks said:

I'm sure there are people who have experienced things you and I have yet to experience. I think one can say there will always be someone who is more experienced, until you become an actualized Buddha. Other people, takes these things not on personal experience, but simply on faith.

Bunks
  • charirama:
    the mechanics of it are beyond any scope of my understanding
    No, it's easy, no mechanics, no moving parts. Just don't add death to what is.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think it is more imperative how you live your life every moment while you are here, than to worry about what'll happen afterwards. I do believe in reincarnation/rebirth but I don't fully understand it from a Buddhist perspective yet, it's just what makes the most sense to me based on experiences that my children (amongst others, but them particularly because of the personal connection and knowing what they've been exposed to and such) have shared with me. But, I don't focus on that and it's not the reason for being a Buddhist, or a stumbling block to being a Buddhist. There are a lot of Buddhists who do not believe, or aren't sure what they believe, of an afterlife.

And philosophy teachers do that because it's their job to teach critical thinking...to make you uncomfortable enough to examine your own beliefs. Sometimes it's frustrating and even scary, but it's a good experience to have. I disliked my Philosophy of Ethics class the most of everything I ever took but I learned alot about examining myself and my life because of the level of discomfort directed at all the things I thought I knew. I was however mad that I thought I wrote a decent paper arguing that neither good or evil exists, and I got a D on it, lol.
    jessie70
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2012

charirama:

the mechanics of it are beyond any scope of my understanding
    No, it's easy, no mechanics, no moving parts. Just don't add death to what is.

Thanks for that - poor choice of words on my part - I should have used "details."
    edited September 2012
    My current understanding of birth and death is based on fewer details rather than more. There are assumptions which are so basic they are rarely questioned, even by philosophers. Some ignorance is pre-verbal, making it difficult to explain directly.

The Buddha said of some questions 'I answer not in this way'. Some questions are answered only by practicing the dhamma.

p.s. your choice of words was fine, your post was just unlucky enough to be used to illustrate a point :) .

Bunks
  • There is only the present moment :)
    PrairieGhost
  • Not even only :) .
  • My current understanding of birth and death is based on fewer details rather than more. There are assumptions which are so basic they are rarely questioned, even by philosophers. Some ignorance is pre-verbal, making it difficult to explain directly.

The Buddha said of some questions 'I answer not in this way'. Some questions are answered only by practicing the dhamma.

p.s. your choice of words was fine, your post was just unlucky enough to be used to illustrate a point :) .

The Buddha's answer is the only responsible response when one asks questions that make no sense in the proper context.
    PrairieGhost
  • Question's, questions, as a beginner I too have them (and posted here, with great inlightning results :D) But, one of the greatest things in life to me isn't the destination anymore, and not too much any more on the journey; it's experiancing that which cannot be described, such as rebirth and reincarnation. Be excited, and awed, for we have a great destiny, here, and in what is to come. :thumbsup:
    JeffreyBunks
  • tmottes:
    The Buddha's answer is the only responsible response when one asks questions that make no sense in the proper context.
    Yes; I should have said these questions are resolved, rather than answered.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited September 2012
    This is the one thing that I try not to spend almost any time on. I don't always succeed. Maybe reincarnation happens. Maybe it doesn't. I still have to deal with whatever is happeneing right now.... how I got here seems almost irrelevant. Buddhism tries to help me with this thing we call "right now". That's gonna have to work for me. :)
    amandathetexan
  • Lee82:
    I do not believe in reincarnation and I saw that as a potential stumbling block too. However there are plenty of discussions around the topic if you search Google. Many Buddhists don't believe either.
    As far as proving reincarnation, the Buddha never relied on third-person perception which is the basis of the natural and physical sciences. In fact, Buddhism doesn't accept that this kind of knowledge as being valid for awakening. Verification, as found in the Kalama Sutta (AN 3.65, A. i. 188), is through self-knowledge (attanava janeyya/atma-jñâna) which is independent knowledge, a knowledge that does not rely on sensory perception which is tied up with the psycho-physical body (which belongs to Mara the Evil One).

Through self knowledge (atmajñâna) we know that consciousness transmigrates. At our death, consciousness will leave the body to take birth again, with its accumulated karmas, resonating with another type of being (sattva). It could be a deva, human, animal, etc.

The fact that we have been born once already erases the absolute certainity we will not be reborn after we die.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^ So, Songhill, you have personally verified reincarnation? Transmigration?
  • I can see how my life unfolds in
    accordance with my intentions
    (Karma) but I am lost at how any
    Buddhist can believe in reincarnation
    when the Buddha saw this as superfluous and called on his followers to ignore magical thinking and pay no attention to metaphysics
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Reincarnation is not the same as rebirth. there is distinction between the two, Tibetan Buddhism for example - as I have already stated - distinguishes one from the other.
  • Blah, this thread,.. again :lol: Rebirth, reincarnation, these are things not knowable to us and thus not important to the path. What is important is the now, the awakening to the Dhamma as it is there all along your every living breath. If you live a virtuous life, great, you have done your best and if rebirth is a reality it is a bonus level to a game, if not no big deal. However you do die and are reborn every single time you create a condition within the mind, a perception of something or someone. This happens over and over again daily. This is the non literal concept of rebirth and is more important to focus on IMO. You can end this cycle through seeing the Dhamma in all of its truth. I'm out of this thread as this topic often becomes heated and egotistic, hope all goes well :D
    Bunksvinlyn
  • As a Tibetan Buddhist I learned that the term reincarnation suggests the continuance of the same person throughout successive lifetimes, and this was contrary to the acceptance that each person is unique resulting from the maturation of pervious karma. When that karma has been exhausted or expires at death a new person comes into being as a result again of the maturation of previous karma therefore the term rebirth was used instead. Rebirth or coming and going would be considered to occur both throughout single and across multiple lifetimes.

I do find it interesting that some Buddhists don't accept this possibility of rebirth throughout success lifetimes because this seems to go against the doctrine of dependent origination, and severely limits the possibility of the enlightenment for all sentient beings particularly those that are currently in less fortunate or conducive states of being.

Skepticism would be understandable at first, but I would think that through investigation of the teachings and inference one would eventually come to acceptance. I remember watching a program about the Dalai Lama where his encounter with Carl Sagan was mentioned. It was told that Carl Sagan asked the Dalai Lama if we could prove reincarnation wasn't true what would you do, and he flat out said we would stop believing it. Then he asked him in return how you would go about disproving it and Carl Sagan was silent.
    PrairieGhostamandathetexancazperson
    edited September 2012
    From a bodily point of view, the burden of proof is upon whoever asserts the possibility of bodily immortality.

From the point of view we experience, the burden of proof is upon whoever asserts that there is an absence of experience, simply because this is just an idea.

Sadly, as the Dalai Lama observed, there really is no form of proof possible. That's why it's a philosophical or religious issue, not a scientific one.
  • PrairieGhost:
    Sadly, as the Dalai Lama observed, there really is no form of proof possible. That's why it's a philosophical or religious issue, not a scientific one.
    Presently science is divided between first-person introspection and third-person perception. The Buddha's claim with regard to rebirth is through first-person introspection, not the third-person. In other words, we cannot 'perceive' an external object called rebirth anymore than we can perceive thoughts or love.

Presently, there is no way to overcome the divide between first-person introspection and third-person perception. Neuroscience certainly hasn't been able do it. It has reached an impasse which the philosopher Colin McGinn calls "cognitive closure." In other words, neuroscience lacks the necessary ability to overcome the divide. This suggests that man has not sufficiently evolved to a state of being whereby the divide is overcome. We are still more in the cave drawing on walls, than out of the cave.

For those who strongly maintain that third-person perception is the only kind of valid knowledge, we would have to shut down our universities, close the mathematics department and even shut down physics since it rests on metaphysical thought-things like force, resistance, mass, velocity, etc. which make up the artificial scaffolding that Big Science places over the world like longitudinal and latitudinal lines on a globe.
    PrairieGhost
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Kamma can be described as a natural law of intention, action and result. In the suttas there are many references to beings reappearing in different realms according to their actions - this is kamma.
    There is no need to take a position of belief or disbelief on this, and I would advise keeping an open mind.
    RebeccaS
    edited September 2012
    Hi amandathetexan:

It's cause and effect rather than a person deciding. The exact weight of various actions, the precise working out of karma, is one of the imponderables, and the Buddha said pondering it would lead to madness.

There is a Mahayana Sutra, The Sutra of Cause and Effect, where the specific workings of karma are explained, but I don't consider it authoritative e.g.
    The person who puts the image of the Buddha in that porch where there is smoke is born black; the one who sees their teacher and does not rise is born paralyzed.
    http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=374

p.s. there actually is one sutta I recall where the Buddha predicts the results of action, but I wouldn't necessarily read his words literally, and personally I consider them to be skillful means.

'1. Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living in the Koliyan country: there is a town of the Koliyans called Haliddavasana.

2. Then Punna, a son of the Koliyans and an ox-duty ascetic, and also Seniya a naked dog duty ascetic, went to the Blessed One, and Punna the ox duty ascetic paid homage to the Blessed One and sat down at one side, while Seniya the naked dog-duty ascetic exchanged greetings with the Blessed One, and when the courteous and amiable talk was finished, he too sat down at one side curled up like a dog. When Punna the ox-duty ascetic sat down, he asked the Blessed One: "Venerable sir, this naked dog-duty ascetic Seniya does what is hard to do: he eats his food when it is thrown on the ground. That dog duty has long been taken up and practiced by him. What will be his destination? What will be his future course?"[1]

"Enough, Punna, let that be. Do not ask me that."

A second time... A third time Punna the ox-duty ascetic asked the Blessed One: "Venerable sir, this naked dog-duty ascetic Seniya does what is hard to do: he eats his food when it is thrown on the ground. That dog duty has long been taken up and practiced by him. What will be his destination? What will be his future course?"

"Well, Punna, since I certainly cannot persuade you when I say 'Enough, Punna, let that be. Do not ask me that,' I shall therefore answer you.

3. "Here, Punna, someone develops the dog duty fully and unstintingly, he develops the dog-habit fully and unstintingly, he develops the dog mind fully and unstintingly, he develops dog behavior fully and unstintingly. Having done that, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of dogs. But if his view is such as this: 'By this virtue or duty or asceticism or religious life I shall become a (great) god or some (lesser) god,' that is wrong view in his case. Now there are two destinations for one with wrong view, I say: hell or the animal womb. So, Punna, if his dog duty is perfected, it will lead him to the company of dogs; if it is not, it will lead him to hell."'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.057.nymo.html
  • From the Mahanidana Sutta (#15 of the Digha Nikaya) the Buddha speaking to Ananda says:
    I have said: Consciousness conditions mind-and-body.
    If consciousness were not to come into the mother's womb, would mind-and-body develop there? No, Lord.
    Or if consciousness, having entered the mother's womb, were to be deflected, would mind-and-body come to birth in this life? No, Lord.

I have said: Mind-and-body conditions consciousness.
    ...If consciousness did not find a resting-place in mind-and-body, would there subsequently be an arising and coming-to-be of birth, ageing, death and suffering? No,Lord.

...The exact weight of various actions, the precise working out of karma, is one of the imponderables, and the Buddha said pondering it would lead to madness.

In modern, verifiable times, can you name someone who has gone "mad" while pondering it? After all, people are pondering it continuously.

• I don't think they go mad, I think it just is distressing perhaps.
    @Music, that made me laugh out loud!
    @Jeffrey, I can buy that, except that's not what people say over and over and over and over again.
  • I have read similar commentary with regards to the essence of God. One must lose their mind to percieve what is essentially a mystery. To cling to the intellect is madness and letting go is bliss.
  • My teacher said that even the high level bodhisattvas do not understand karma.
  • Hi Vinlyn:
    In modern, verifiable times, can you name someone who has gone "mad" while pondering it? After all, people are pondering it continuously.
    The question was about texts, and I replied in those terms. Personally, I think one could become obsessive about the workings of karma, or it could lead to delusional views e.g. the view that unfortunate people deserve their suffering because it's their karma. I don't think pondering the precise workings of karma is very fruitful, though it's probably not a leading cause of mental illness.
    person
    PG -- that's reasonable.

Personally, the problem I have with karma is the not basic concept of cause and effect -- that makes sense. What bothers me about it is how many interpretations of karma there are. For example, many people here say that karma is actually what happens within your own mind when you do something "wrong". So how that ends up in rebirth in another realm...well that makes no sense at all.

• Two common phrases that I hear are "Everything Affects Everything Else" and "What Goes Around Comes Around".

I tend to think of Karma as being a combination of these two ideas. Every action has consequences that can be far reaching and the consequences eventually find their way back to where the action originated. This may take a short time or a very long time.
    edited September 2012
    I think of karma as water trying to find its level; the cyclic entropy of ocean currents.

It's not only bad things either; it's a salmon's karma to return to it's birthplace.
    Arthurbodhiperson
  • What I was taught is that Karma is simply an instance of the natural law of cause and effect that becomes relevant when it affects one's experience.

Karmic actions whether positive, neutral, or negative leave imprints on our consciousness that ripens when the appropriate conditions are met. The consciousness we are speaking of is not the gross consciousness that we attribute to our normal natural understanding, but very subtle that all beings posses.

Basically our actions go through several stages from the initial thought, volition or intent to commit, committing the act, and then its completion. Each stage can add more weight or impact to the action in a number of ways. For instance, if one creates a negative action and goes through the entire stages and has strong satisfaction at the completing stage then the strength would be more significant than say if the same act was committed with remorse.

Repeated actions have a tendency to become habit so in that sense we have a propensity to act in a certain way when the appropriate conditions are met. For example, when a motorist cuts me off I might have a tendency to be become angry and then flip them off. However, it does not dictate the way one acts. We still have a fair amount of liberty which can be enhanced through practice. A monk once told me in broken English. Change your karma, maybe change your feelings.

Karma does not just relate to the individual. Societies and realms also share a similar karma. Most of you have probably heard of the term Buddha realms.

It is the very subtle consciousness that continues from life to life. When the karma that propels the existence of a being is exhausted at death the consciousness is separated from the body. The memories and attachments to the proceeding life eventually fade and the mind enters a state of unconsciousness if you will, and then in becoming takes rebirth in a realm of similar karmic relationship where on the individual level the strong karmic tendencies are predominant.
  • For me, it's a "I'll see when I get there" moment. Hopefully I'll have a standing where I use what I learned in this life, to help others who are in a life such mine now.