Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ancient Aliens

So I have decided to watch a few episodes of this show and some 'facts' really do not seem correct to me, but at other times they make a good point. I don't know what to think, there is quite a lot of interesting things to think about. For those who have seen this series what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Same as yours. A few are reasonable... most others are a bit of a stretch. The part that I can't seem to figure out is the very precisely cut stones on top of that mountain in South America (?). Have you seen that episode?
  • Cut stones in South America, that could be many episodes lol. Is it Puma Puko or something like that? They concluded that technology of today would find it very difficult to make such precise and clean cuts. Now that is something interesting yes. Also how all of these sites lineup on some kind of world grid that seems to follow the magnetic field, however I am don't know much about that so it could be codswallop.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    A stone age culture might be expected to have developed a great deal of expertise with stone. I'm not a skeptic, but I don't think we should underestimate the Aymara people - a lot of the ancient aliens stuff really downgrades their culture in order to prove that they couldn't have made certain structures.

Also, the ancient aliens program says the stones are granite, I think, thus too hard to cut in this way, but in fact they're sandstone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku
    Dakini
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I share your observations on this show. For the most part... blah. Occasionally, however, some real head-scratcher points are made. I'm just not ready to have "aliens" always be the "obvious" answer.

And I really am disappointed in myself for judging people on their appearance, but.....

I think I'd rather listen to a Dalek host the show.....
    ThailandTomamandathetexanDaltheJigsaw
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Pumapunku

The talk page refutes a lot of the claims.
  • Like with most things such supernatural ideas etc, I am on fence so to speak, I have not made up my mind. I do disregard some things they claim straight off, but certain things like that artifact they found in Egypt that appears to look like a flying object, they made a bigger scale version and it flies. That is after doing wind tunnel tests on the actual object itself. I guess one can read into such things a lot, but it is interesting to contemplate.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I confess I love this show, though I keep a few grains of salt handy. And the flying golden Mayan airplane replica thing was AMAZING, lol. It was so cool, in fact, that I've avoided checking into it to see if it was on the up-and-up.

DaltheJigsaw
  • Many models in nature including birds and flying fish. Don't need to make the leap to aliens for the inspiration.
  • It could be a fish which looks like a plane because they operate on similar principles.
  • I love this show, just because its so out there. The way they present information makes you wonder "what if..." And keeps you questioning the "norm." I also find some of the stuff to be intriguing and other parts to be outright crazy, but the host is entertaining and I don't need to believe everything there.

Even if its all made up or sensationalized, it's still a good thinking exercise, and always gets my creativity going for writing or other artistic activities.
    edited October 2012
    Puma Punku must have been a wondrous sight back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiwanaku

;The community grew to urban proportions between AD 600 and AD 800, becoming an important regional power in the southern Andes. According to early estimates, at its maximum extent, the city covered approximately 6.5 square kilometers, and had between 15,000–30,000 inhabitants.[1] However, satellite imaging was used recently to map the extent of fossilized suka kollus across the three primary valleys of Tiwanaku, arriving at population-carrying capacity estimates of anywhere between 285,000 and 1,482,000 people.[10]'
  • SileSile Veteran
    I'm currently reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail and could swear it just said something about golden bees - will ck, but in meantime here's a Minoan era golden bee:

• SileSile Veteran
    Ah yes...King Childeric I's tomb was filled with golden bees:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    We watch a lot of History channel and I've never seen this! I love learning about older cultures (I think I was an anthropologist in a previous life) and it looks fun. How cultures, no matter who they were, managed to accomplish some of the things they do, is amazing. Sometimes it makes me think we've evolved in the wrong direction. We still have amazing feats of technology and knowledge, of course, but most of us have lost the ability to calculate (without a machine to do it for us) and perform a lot of the physical acts they were apparently able to do.
    Sile
  • I've been to Knossos, very much recommend it.
  • karasti said:

We watch a lot of History channel and I've never seen this! I love learning about older cultures (I think I was an anthropologist in a previous life) and it looks fun. How cultures, no matter who they were, managed to accomplish some of the things they do, is amazing. Sometimes it makes me think we've evolved in the wrong direction. We still have amazing feats of technology and knowledge, of course, but most of us have lost the ability to calculate (without a machine to do it for us) and perform a lot of the physical acts they were apparently able to do.

I do think we have evolved in the 'wrong' way in many aspects, but other aspects are really quite positive. I also think like others that we do not give enough credit to the older societies and consider them to be not that smart.

One thing that does perplex me is how they have very similar styles of art, architecture and pictures of gods literally half way around the world. That is a noodle scratcher.
  • @PrairieGhost thanks for pointing out the sandstone fact. This would make those types of cuts MUCH easier :)
  • karasti said:

Take caution with the History Channel. It sounds authoritative, but if you go out and do a bit of online research, you will find they aren't as credible as they sound. The NatGeo channel is a bit safer to believe at face value.
  • It detracts and distracts from the real achievements of historical cultures.
  • tmottes said:

karasti said:

Take caution with the History Channel. It sounds authoritative, but if you go out and do a bit of online research, you will find they aren't as credible as they sound. The NatGeo channel is a bit safer to believe at face value.
    There was on episode which I instantly realised flaws in because it was about how the nazis were in Tibet looking for answers to time travel lol. The thing is that they said in Buddhism lamas and monks try to step outside of this realm and escape time and sapce or some shit like that. I knew instantly when I heard it that they did not know what they were talking about fully. So then it makes me queston if they do the same with most things, we all have a certain degree of knowledge in each area, but not enough to know for sure if all things are false or not.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    The scariest-a** bee ever.

Camiros Rhodes bee
    DaltheJigsaw
    edited October 2012
    'Get me out of this vase!'
    SiletmottesBeej
  • I love Ancient Aliens! The people on this show have spent years studying these topics and many have traveled to these places to experience these findings for themselves. Many bring thoughts and perspectives from various professions and fields of study, so I respect their theories. And they call themselves Ancient Alien 'Theorists'. I like how they present everything in a question, promoting individual thought. I really enjoy the show.
    ThailandTom
  • I love Ancient Aliens! The people on this show have spent years studying these topics and many have traveled to these places to experience these findings for themselves. Many bring thoughts and perspectives from various professions and fields of study, so I respect their theories. And they call themselves Ancient Alien 'Theorists'. I like how they present everything in a question, promoting individual thought. I really enjoy the show.

Yes this leaves the viewer questioning and thinking for themselves rather than being dumbed out by normal TV. I forget who it was now, but that famous quote "TV is the opium for the masses." That is so true. Sit down, relax and shit your mind off and dumb yourself to TV people lol.

But yea, these people have studied for years, then worked in various fields for years and so have the knowledge. The only question is how much have they been paid to do this show? It could ruin their career and create MEMEs haha, oh man that still makes me laugh. Still interesting show for sure.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    It's entertainment. Just like the news. Facts don't really matter. And what the frick is a "fact" anyway?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I seen this...But I have no clue...Lol.
    ThailandTom
  • LeonBasin said:

I seen this...But I have no clue...Lol.

D I T T O =

:wtf: :confused: :crazy:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Oh I do, anything I see on tv I watch with a grain of salt. I love Nat Geo but we don't get it here (go figure, some of their shows are filmed here, and we can't even watch them!). I took some anthropology classes in college and try to keep up with some of the peer reviewed journals and such, I find it fascinating the accomplishments they were able to make. It makes me wonder, when one day the human race is gone, if another race will find our planet and be able to figure out what we did and why and how with the things we leave behind. It also makes me wonder what kind of things we'll leave behind that'll lend them to postulate on what we "idolized" and "worshipped" based on prevalence and importance in the remains of our society. It's interesting to think about.

• Haven't seen the series but here is a book that deals with Buddhism & ET's -

http://tinyurl.com/9fpb9gg

Cheers
    DaltheJigsawThailandTom
  • Here's a page all about starseeds

http://www.in5d.com/all-about-starseeds.html

Enjoy!
    ThailandTomRebeccaS
  • Here's a page all about starseeds

Enjoy!

Oh boy, if that amount of time and effot went into that people must buy it, which is sad and funny at the same time. I am nearly speechless at how rediculous that is!
  • The Mayans didn't work gold, that artifact looks more like an Andean one.

Bees in pre-Indo-European culture were fertility symbols of the goddess, IIRC, according to anthro Marija Gimbutas.

Attributing spectacular cultural achievements to space aliens generally is regarded as a new spin on the old racist "diffusionist" theory, whereby anthropologists and archaeologists of the 1800's and early 1900's declared the Mayan ruins and ruins of ancient civilizations in South Africa and Zimbabwe to be the work of Egyptians, or "higher civilizations". When those sites were discovered, it was believed that the Native peoples in those regions were incapable of building monumental architecture and creating elaborate works of art in stone and other materials. So theories were concocted that proposed that Egyptians (who were considered more "White", and therefore naturally more advanced historically) built the Aztec and Mayan pyramids, or Europeans or others somehow reached southern Africa in early times and built civilizations there.

Those theories have long ago been debunked, but now we have the Space Alien theory to explain what uninformed sensationalists want us to believe is unexplainable, due, of course, to the assumed natural stupidity of the Native peoples in question.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    *sigh*
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    If one considers the issue from a set conclusion (say aliens / ancient advanced civilisations) then there is a wealth of misleading information out there.

In the past, certain esoterics were protected by secrecy - in this day and age, there is a mixture of secrecy and distraction - the system of social sorcery does well to drive civilisation together.

There are however serious recurring inconsistencies in the accepted academic position and the facts on the ground found from exploring our planet and its guesstimated history.
  • The belief of Et's coming here is one of two things. We're just a failed genetic experiment, and the ET's were too compasionate to dump is in the deatomizer; that's why they come and check on us from time to time, Then run like Hell hoping we didn't see them. As they continue their litny "WE'RE SCREWED! WE'RE SCREWED! I told ya we should have dumped them. You think they saw us???

Or two: We're a stop on the intergalctic sex tourism trade. That's why all those anal probes.

And this guy above me; looks like he stuck his finger in a light socket. :coffee:
    ThailandTomDaltheJigsawperson
  • That's just his style :p the electro-fried look. ALIENS!
  • Looks more like a politican who's previous life was a sudo scientist who stuck his finger in a light socket. :coffee:
    ThailandTomDaltheJigsaw
    edited October 2012
    My favourite conspiracy theory is that programmes like this are set up to be so deliberately ridiculous that they tar by association any serious research into unexplained phenomena.

By the way, this thread is getting pretty good viewing figures. Let's have some more threads on ancient aliens: we can cut a few of those boring Buddhist topics to make room. ;)
  • lol, there is a TV show I saw an add for about the book of American secrets!!! :eek: It claimed in the add that there was a particle accelerator under the arch in Washington LMAO hahahaha.
  • Am I the only one who finds this guy attractive?
    Bunks
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I don't as I am not gay, but I am sure other girls and gay guys probably do. Check out that fake tan and 'dragged through a bush' hair style ;)
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

Here's a page all about starseeds

Enjoy!

Starseeds sound like Indigo Children. Bwahahahahahahahahaha. I might be a starseed-indigo-ninja-whiz kid, but those are just too many identities to overcome to get to enlightenment. Human sounds like it's plenty descriptive enough for me. :)
    DaltheJigsaw
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012

Mayan hieroglyphics on plate excavated in Chichén Itzá (Peabody Museum) - don't know if this particular passage has been deciphered, but here's article on hieroglyphs from that region: http://www.mesoweb.com/bearc/cmr/RRAMW23-25intro.pdf
  • I'm a starseed!!!!!!
    SileThailandTomRebeccaS

• If you look at sattelites we use today, this object closely resembles the material used on part of the machine, only crumbled up and squashed. This leads me to believe that this is possible proof that ancient aliens had sattelites flying around our globe thousands of years ago, amazing.
    Sile said:

Mayan hieroglyphics on plate excavated in Chichén Itzá (Peabody Museum) - don't know if this particular passage has been deciphered, but here's article on hieroglyphs from that region: http://www.mesoweb.com/bearc/cmr/RRAMW23-25intro.pdf

edited October 2012
    My friend saw a flying saucer when we were about sixteen. He said it hovered above the tennis court where he and his brother were playing for a good long while, and then sped off. It was quite fat, like two bowls rim to rim, and had a glowing red top. After it had left, he saw a harrier jump jet scrambled in the same direction it had gone.

The only thing that made me wonder if he was telling the truth was that he said that after it had gone, he and his brother tried to continue their game but were unable to co-ordinate their bodies well enough to play tennis, missing the ball every time, indicating that they were in shock.

I doubt he would have been aware enough of the symptoms of shock to weave this into a made up story... he thought it was something to do with the UFO itself that affected them physically, and so did I at the time; but now that I look back, it sounds exactly like the effect of shock, which I have experienced myself.

Their attempt to carry on playing tennis rings true as well, rather than 'we rushed after it' or, 'we alerted the authorities'. When strange things happen, we often don't know how to react except to blunder on with what we were doing before. Which is one reason why anatta takes time and effort to realise for most people.
  • The show is intriguing. I've watched many episodes. Its incredible how many mysteries our ancestors left behind. Who knows maybe one day it will all come together just like one giant jigsaw puzzle.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    @Sile That's right--thanks for the reminder. The Mayans in the Yucatan worked gold, but it was a later development. Most of the rest of Mayan country didn't have that, nor did the Yucatan until, I think, later Mexican (Toltec) incursions. hmm... :scratch: (I wonder what their source of gold was...) In any case, that plane-shaped object is an Andean artifact, I read about it a few years ago. It shows no sign of Mayan motifs. Beautiful piece, though. The ancient Andean cultures were experts in goldwork.

It's easy to take objects and art out of context, and construct a theory around them. LIke supposedly the throne that a Mayan king is depicted sitting on at one site has been described as a launching pad, or something. Really, finding out the truth about these things, and getting involved in the archaeology of it, is just as exciting as fanciful theories, imo. But still, AFAIK, no one has explained how ancient peoples anywhere in the world managed to move the monumental stones that they did, have they? Egypt, Pumapunku? I suppose anything can be managed with enough man-power.
    Sile
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012

After it had left, he saw a harrier jump jet scrambled in the same direction it had gone.

Very little cooler than a Harrier doing its thing. I'll never forget the first (and sadly, only) time I saw one in action--it suddenly appeared, lifting straight up, above the rooftops at Shepherd AFB ;) And yes, as an American, I had Brit-jealousy at that moment.

I'm not in favor of what warplanes do, but I confess to liking them as machines.